IGNORED

What beverages do you drink on the course?

golfmentalist
Note:Β This thread is 4317 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

Before a round of golf, i tend to drink one bottled water, then depending on how hot i will go through 2-4 more bottles of water. I usually go buy a bulk pack from walmart for 4-5 bucks, just keep it in the trunk of my car...

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
Β fasdfaΒ dfdsafΒ 

What's in My Bag
Driver;Β :pxg:Β 0311 Gen 5,Β  3-Wood:Β 
:titleist:Β 917h3 ,Β  Hybrid:Β  :titleist:Β 915 2-Hybrid,Β  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel:Β (52, 56, 60),Β  Putter: :edel:,Β  Ball: :snell:Β MTB,Β Β Shoe: :true_linkswear:,Β  Rangfinder:Β :leupold:
Bag:Β :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I take bottled water, and sometimes diet green tea. I usually drink 3-4 bottles total during a round. I also generally have with me: A banana, fiber one bar, and peanut butter sandwich on wheat. I also usually golf in the morning and eat oatmeal at home, or get some at McDonalds on the way to the course.

And I'm still usually hungry after the round :)

Be careful leaving water in your car during the summer. Extreme heat can cause the degrading of the bottles, resulting in chemicals from the plastic to leak into the water. Some water bottle companies use BPA free plastic, but more often than not, they aren't. Even when golfing after work, I bring the water into the building, and then bring it with me when I leave.

• 1 month later...

What are your favs?

I tend to stick to water, but a beer or two isn't out of the question either. Β My local course sells a Michelob Ultra drink called "19th hole" Might try that next time around.

I like to stick with water especially since its so hot in Texas. Β I like to enjoy a beer or two after the round.

2 beers per 9, if the cart girl times it right, there may be a 5th on the 17th or 18th hole

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

If it is really hot, I'll drink some Gatorade.Β Β  Otherwise, it's either Arizona southern style sweet tea or beer.Β Β  If I'm having a bad round, it's definitely beer.

Razr Fit Xtreme 9.5* Matrix Black Tie shaft, Diablo Octane 3 wood 15*, Razr X Hybrid 21*, Razr X 4-SW, Forged Dark Chrome 60* lob wedge, Hex Chrome & Hex Black ball

I go through four to six bottles of water during a 9 hole round.Β  With our low humidity and high temps, here in the desert southwest, dehydration happens quickly.

Mostly water, although I sometimes buy a beer or 2 from the cart girl on the back 9, depending upon how bad my round is going.Β  If my round is sucking anyways, no reason to not have a few beers to dull the pain.

Whats in my :sunmountain:Β C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno:Β JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno:Β JPX 850Β 15*, :mizuno:Β JPX-850 19*, :mizuno:Β JPX Fli-Hi #4,Β :mizuno:Β JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno:Β MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland:Β Smart Square BladeΒ and :bridgestone:Β B330-S

Mostly water. If it is hot and I feel like I need electrolytes, I will throw a nuun Tab in the bottle.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Originally Posted by uttexas

I'm sure to be well hydrated before the round, then maintain the hydration with gatorade cut with water. Rehydrating with fluids via the GI tract is a relatively slow process, so if you are getting significantly dehydrated on the course, replenishing with oral water/electrolyte products may be too late. Same goes for nourishment, I eat a nutritious meal an hour or two before the round. and might have an apple or banana at the turn.

see the ACSM guidelines:

basics of the guidelines

ACSM Position Stand on Exercise and Fluid Replacement

"1) It is recommended that individuals consume a nutritionally balanced diet and drink adequate fluids during the 24-h period before an event, especially during the period that includes the meal prior to exercise, to promote proper hydration before exercise or competition.

2) It is recommended that individuals drink about 500 ml (about 17 ounces) of fluid about 2 h before exercise to promote adequate hydration and allow time for excretion of excess ingested water.

3) During exercise, athletes should start drinking early and at regular intervals in an attempt to consume fluids at a rate sufficient to replace all the water lost through sweating (i.e., body weight loss), or consume the maximal amount that can be tolerated.

4) It is recommended that ingested fluids be cooler than ambient temperature [between 15 and 22C (59 and 72F)] and flavored to enhance palatability and promote fluid replacement. Fluids should be readily available and served in containers that allow adequate volumes to be ingested with ease and with minimal interruption of exercise.

5) Addition of proper amounts of carbohydrates and/or electrolytes to a fluid replacement solution is recommended for exercise events of duration greater than 1 h since it does not significantly impair water delivery to the body and may enhance performance. During exercise lasting less than 1 h, there is little evidence of physiological or physical performance differences between consuming a carbohydrate-electrolyte drink and plain water.

6) During intense exercise lasting longer than 1 h, it is recommended that carbohydrates be ingested at a rate of 30-60 g h-1 to maintain oxidation of carbohydrates and delay fatigue. This rate of carbohydrate intake can be achieved without compromising fluid delivery by drinking 600-1200 ml h-1 of solutions containing 4%-8% carbohydrates (g 100 ml-1). The carbohydrates can be sugars (glucose or sucrose) or starch (e.g., maltodextrin).

7) Inclusion of sodium (0.5-0.7 g l-1 of water) in the rehydration solution ingested during exercise lasting longer than 1 h is recommended since it may be advantageous in enhancing palatability, promoting fluid retention, and possibly preventing hyponatremia in certain individuals who drink excessive quantities of fluid. There is little physiological basis for the presence of sodium in an oral rehydration solution for enhancing intestinal water absorption as long as sodium is sufficiently available from the previous meal."5, 6

full article here: http://journals.lww.com/acsm-msse/Fulltext/2007/02000/Exercise_and_Fluid_Replacement.22.aspx

Holy crap. It's golf, not the Tour de France.

• Upvote 2

dak4n6

I usually mix Gatorade and water. I make 4 bottles of Gatorade with 2. I go through a minimum of three during the round, and one after. On particularly hot days, I may bring more, and if its over 30C, i dont mix the gatorade.

I also eat a low GI meal at least an hour before the round, and take a fresh whole grain chicken sandwich with me to eat around the turn. This way, I have as much energy on the 18th hole as I did on the first. Burn out due to caloric deficit is one of the main reasons people see their game go south late in their round.

I never drink alcohol on the course (I rarely drink it, ever, to be honest), but after mens night and league play, I will sometimes have one with the boys.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

I don't typically eat during a round unless I did not eat enough before. For beverages, when walking its water only. When I'm in a cart by myself its still water only. When in a cart with a friend, I have a bottle of water I fill and drink at least 4-5 times during the round and also split a six pack with my cart mate. Sometimes we'll grab another six pack on the back if the cart girl is hot ;)

A few brews usually relaxes me a little and I actually play a little better. I also carry a flask of vodka for those especially tense rounds.

If I'm walking, then just water.

If I'm riding a cart, on vacation, no chores after the round, playing with some good buds, etc. then I'll enjoy a few beers.Β  If I plan ahead, then I've got a pint of whiskey in the bag.Β  Golf is a game, to be enjoyed--and I find alcohol to be quite enjoyable at times.

On my last CA golf trip, my buddy and I had half a case of Paso Robles rose' in the car.Β  We went through two bottles a side.Β  Sounds totally gay, but it was great wine, a great golf course, and a great time.

• Upvote 1

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Note:Β This thread is 4317 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!