IGNORED

Sweat Shops for Nike, Others Too?

Note: This thread is 5116 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I just saw a presentation of how poorly workers are paid at Nike Sweat Shops in Indonesia. This is especially bothersome when one thinks of how much Tiger Woods is paid by Nike. I couldn't buy anything by Nike while knowing of the treatment of impoverished people in second world countries.

Is this type of treatment found in other manufacturers?

Taylormade Driver HT
Taylormade 3 HT

Mcgregor 7w
Vulcan irons 5-P
Solus 53 61

Vokey 56

Scotty Caneron Flange/ Ping Cushin

Srixon ZStar

71 gold tees

bring cash

yes

but to be honest...

we see that treatment as horrible while they are happy to have a job and earn SOME money...

Driver: 2010 Burner Superfast
3-Wood: 2007 Callaway Big Bertha
Hybrid: Victory Red Hybrid 3 21*
Irons: 2009 Burner Irons 4-SW
Wedge: CG12 56*Putter: White Hot XG 2-Ball F7

I just saw a presentation of how poorly workers are paid at Nike Sweat Shops in Indonesia. This is especially bothersome when one thinks of how much Tiger Woods is paid by Nike. I couldn't buy anything by Nike while knowing of the treatment of impoverished people in second world countries.

This isn't the first time that Nike has been accused of using sweat shop labor. However, I suspect that alot of companies that make products oversees use low cost labor. The problem is that the value of the product (as precieved by consumers) has to justify the amount that can be spent on building the product.

In my bag:

some golf clubs

a few golf balls

a bag of tee's some already broken the rest soon to be

a snickers wrapper (if you have seen me play, you would know you are not going anywhere for a while)

and an empty bottle of water

Also, a study done a few years ago, which we discussed in my econ class proved that many of the workers for large companies in third-world nations are paid more than the average worker. Just figure I would add that in.

The employees work there voluntarily, yes? Enough said, it's not Nike's responsibility to pay them more.

That said, I hate the fact that you can't get a run of the mill Made in USA golf club anymore. There may be some highend brands, but none of the major names are made here.

Driver: i15 8* UST Axivcore Red 69S
3w: CB1 15* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum 75s
5w: G10 18.5* UST V2 HL
3h: HiFli CLK 20* UST V2 Hybrid
4h: 3DX 23* UST V2 Hybrid5i-pw: MX-23 TT Dynalite Gold S300GW/SW: RAC 52*and 56*Putter: SabertoothBag: KingPin

The employees work there voluntarily, yes? Enough said, it's not Nike's responsibility to pay them more.

when you say made in the USA, I think the only company that still forges / cast in the USA is ping, everybody else has either China or Japan (or other countries) do the foundry work and then they are assembled some place.

In my bag:

some golf clubs

a few golf balls

a bag of tee's some already broken the rest soon to be

a snickers wrapper (if you have seen me play, you would know you are not going anywhere for a while)

and an empty bottle of water

"Sweatshop" type labor conditions exist throughout the world in various markets. Yes the clothing makers in places like Indonesia may make more than the average wage of others, but when the average wage is less than $1-$2 an hour for "unskilled labor", there are not many options for work, and when food costs represent 70% or more of your household budget, become can become dependent on terrible jobs. Even though they pay marginally more than other jobs, and the workers are not forced to work there, they are forced to work 60-80 hours a week in horrible condtions, because there supervisors have to meet certain quotas from Nike, etc.

Tools of the Trade
Burner Driver. 9.5 Loft. Stiff Shaft

Pro CB Irons, 3-PW, Stiff Shaft
SV Tour Wedges: 52,56,60

Many companies relying on textile manufacturing in Indonesia or China employ "sweatshop" laborers. The textile industry is an easy target, however, it's the reality of employment in many of those countries. You can guaranty that most, if not all apparel manufacturers within golf employ the same types of textile operations... this isn't nike, or golf for that matter, specific.

In the Bag: TaylorMade R11 TP - TaylorMade R7 TP TS - Cleveland Halo - TM TP 2009 3-PW - Vokey SM 52 - Vokey SM 60 - Rife Barbados CS - ProV1x 

On the Computer:  Analyzr Pro 

Google...?

there are probably hundreds of companies tied to these sweatshops, but lets face it, Nike is the biggest name on the list so that's who they name right away :P Same stuff happened to the company I used to work for (GAP), I guess if you expect any textile/clothing company to not use sweatshops...good luck finding one unless its your local tailor :P

:cobra: Fly-Z+ White
:callaway: XR 3 Wood
:adams: Idea Pro Black 21*
:callaway: XR 4 Hybrid
:callaway: Apex 5, Apex Pro 6,7 Apex MB 8,9,P
:tmade: 50° Gap Wedge
:callaway: Mack Daddy 2 54° 58°
:nike: Method 001 33"

Or you could buy an american apparel hoodie for a million dollars made by a PBR-drinking hipster in LA.

In the Bag: TaylorMade R11 TP - TaylorMade R7 TP TS - Cleveland Halo - TM TP 2009 3-PW - Vokey SM 52 - Vokey SM 60 - Rife Barbados CS - ProV1x 

On the Computer:  Analyzr Pro 

it's only a "sweat shop" if the employees are FORCED to work there... most of them people are not only happy to have a job, but don't really care about the long hours. If you've never been to a poor country you could never understand. They don't cry about working overtime like we do here. They do it out of necessity. Should they get paid more? Sure why not, but considering that there is probably no other jobs they take what is offered. Just like anything else , the market dictates the price. It's sad to see people working for $2.00 /hour but then again, you have to understand how far that money gets them

.........In My Bag........
Driver = FT-IQ Tour
2,3,4 = Iron/Wood = Bazooka Jmax

Putter = T.P. Mills
Irons = A4 OS..Wedges = Pure Spin..Cart Bag = .....Stand Bag = Bennington

it's only a "sweat shop" if the employees are FORCED to work there... most of them people are not only happy to have a job, but don't really care about the long hours. If you've never been to a poor country you could never understand. They don't cry about working overtime like we do here. They do it out of necessity. Should they get paid more? Sure why not, but considering that there is probably no other jobs they take what is offered. Just like anything else , the market dictates the price. It's sad to see people working for $2.00 /hour but then again, you have to understand how far that money gets them

good points

"My swing is homemade - but I have perfect flaws!" - Me

A lot of economists see China's economy soaring over the next 20-40 years, so that by 2050 it could easily be 2-3X that of the US. If that happens, the average wage in China will go up and the large manufacturing base will shift to another third-world country. This will cause their economy to stagnate and growth will level off. One thing is for sure, there will not be a shortage of poor people in the world to take unskilled labor jobs any time soon.

Driver: Burner 10.5 deg
5W: R7 18 deg
3H: Idea Tech
4-PW: MP-57
GW: Vokey 52 degSW: 56 degLW: 60 degPutter: Black Series 1 34"Ball: Pro V1

I really don't see anything wrong, from an economic perspective, utilizing labor in countries where you can pay 2 or 3 bucks an hour. The reality is that companies need to stay competitive, and with labor costs in US, that is becoming tougher and tougher to do.

There was a Time in the US that labor was equally as cheap. I would rather know that I am buying US Made products from US based facilities. But the sad reality is that we work in a Union driven market. Most of our manufacturing industries across the us are union controlled...and with unions that segment duties so specific than no one can clean up except the janitor. can drive you to have largo workforces that make no longer sense in our global economy. Not to mention the fact that the janitor is probably making $20 bucks an hour to sweep the floor....

In the US, we cannot compete with labor costs around the world. If you want to see US companies stay afloat, you will have to see labor outsourced to 3rd world countries...otherwise, you will be buying Asian brand name products for the rest of your life.
It's the indian, not the arrow! But it sure is nice to have good arrows!!!!!

Driver : r7 Limited 9.5* Matrix Ozik X-Con 5.5 (Reg) | Fairway: 906F4 15.5* (Reg) | Hybrids: DWS Baffler 3/R 20* (Reg) & Baffler Rail H 4-H 22* (Reg) | Irons: AP1 5-G (Reg) | Wedges: SW - SM56-10 & LW - SM60-04 | Putter:.....

This type of accusation comes up all the time. I'm not sure if someone's trying to extort money from Nike or whoever, and I doubt that Nike (or whoever) is alone in utilizing conditions that

people comfortable in first-world countries would fine tolerable. A few years ago, there was a movement on my college campus to stop selling Coke products, based on their (alleged) poor working conditions in something or another. It later turned out to be a movement sponsored in part by Pepsi Co. Meanwhile, the amount Tiger gets from Nike doesn't affect how I feel about these things. People are, generally speaking, paid based in large part on the value they provide to their employer. Whoever manufacturers Nike garments or clubs produces far less for the company - and is far more easily replaceable - than Tiger Woods. There's a reason computer programmers are paid better than burger flippers.
we see that treatment as horrible while they are happy to have a job and earn SOME money...

They're basically working in conditions that are better than we had in this country when we were at their level of industrial development. Our workers 100 years ago would have gladly taken many of the conditions these guys!

Even though they pay marginally more than other jobs, and the workers are not forced to work there, they are forced to work 60-80 hours a week in horrible condtions, because there supervisors have to meet certain quotas from Nike, etc.

The 40 hour work week is a nice luxury we've been able to afford after many years of industrial development. One day, these countries - thanks to jobs like these - will develop to a more industrial state, and with it, income will go up, working conditions will improve, and everything else we expect with such happenings.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Does this really have anything to do with what golf equipment is best for my game? LOL

Product boycotts never work. Donate here http://www.unicef.org/ or some other charity if you really care.

BTW I would be curious to see how much Nike donates to various charities each year too. Or here you go buy these laces to put on your Nike golf shoes http://www.nike.com/nikefootball/red/home?locale=en_US then you won't feel guilty.

In my SasQuatch carry bag.
909D2 9.5* (Aldila Voodo Shaft)
FT 3W 15* (Fujikura E370 Shaft Stiff Flex)
FT Hybrid 21* Nuetral (Fujikura Fit On M Hybrid Stiff Flex)
FT Hybrid 24* Nuetral (Fujikura Fit On M Hybrid Stiff Flex)Irons: X22 Tour 5 thru PW (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300) 2* upright (also...

the question isnt what manufactures do use them. But rather which ones dont?

:cobra: Speed ld-f 10.5 Stiff
:snake_eyes: 3 & 5 Woods
:adams:A4 3 hybrid
:bridgestone: J33 Forged Irons 4-pw
:ping: 50th Aniv. Karsten Ansr Putter56*, 60* wedges

Note: This thread is 5116 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!