IGNORED

Shaft Flex as Seen on Camera (Photos or Video) - Rolling Shutter Illusion

Note: This thread is 2829 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
Originally Posted by LovinItAll

None of the above is to say that there aren't consumer grade CMOS-based cameras that will do an adequate job recording a golf swing for personal use. There may be - I don't know. In fact, CMOS-based cameras that can acquire video at high frame rates will reduce the effects of rolling shutter by virtue of sheer speed.

To be clear it's not shutter speed that limits rolling shutter look. It's how quickly the entire sensor is scanned. You can have a row of pixels exposed for 1/2000th of a second but if the camera takes 1/250th of a second to build an entire frame then you'll still get the effect.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

To be clear it's not shutter speed that limits rolling shutter look. It's how quickly the entire sensor is scanned. You can have a row of pixels exposed for 1/2000th of a second but if the camera takes 1/250th of a second to build an entire frame then you'll still get the effect.

I'm sure it isn't the intent of this thread to digress into a lesson in photography, but when I said 'sheer speed' , I wasn't referencing shutter speed, as shutter speed doesn't correlate to fps in any way. What I meant was a camera that's capable of processing, say, 500fps (at any shutter speed), will reduce shutter look by virtue of its processing power.

In The Bag: - Patience - Persistence - Perseverance - Platitudes

• Administrator
Originally Posted by LovinItAll

I'm sure it isn't the intent of this thread to digress into a lesson in photography, but when I said 'sheer speed' , I wasn't referencing shutter speed, as shutter speed doesn't correlate to fps in any way. What I meant was a camera that's capable of processing, say, 500fps (at any shutter speed), will reduce shutter look by virtue of its processing power.

Ha. Sorry. You did type "sheer" but I read it as "shutter." :)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 5 months later...
I was not sure if this is a ok spot to post this so I apologize if it should be elsewhere. I just did a slow motion video of my swing with my driver and after my backswing on the way to impact probably about 2/3 of the way when I am going frame by frame it looks like the head of the driver is flexing foward through impact. It looks really strange, I was not sure if that was normal or what. I realize I need to get a video up so you all could see what I mean and I will try to as soon as possible. I was just wondered if anyone knows why this might happen, I do fight a terrible slice most of the time. Thanks for your input.

This is a known effect when filming the golf swing - I believe the issue is with the frame rate of the camera.  There are threads on this site which discuss this topic in detail.

Check this thread out:

http://thesandtrap.com/t/34727/shaft-flex-as-seen-on-camera-photos-or-video-rolling-shutter-illusion

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

This is a known effect when filming the golf swing - I believe the issue is with the frame rate of the camera.  There are threads on this site which discuss this topic in detail.

Check this thread out:

http://thesandtrap.com/t/34727/shaft-flex-as-seen-on-camera-photos-or-video-rolling-shutter-illusion

Merged.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

• 3 months later...

Hello everyone this is my first post on this forum. Have a question about lag. I'm a 10 handicap. I've played about 10 rounds so far this year. 3 or 4 rounds in the 70s, the lowest being a 77 the rest 80s and 81s at the par 70 course i play. So its been a good start thus far. I recorded some slide shows of my swing in the yard today and noticed a couple things i'm curious about. Late on the downswing just before impact i notice that the club is severely bowed toward the golf ball. Now i know from watching stills of the pros that the club does bow just before impact but only very slightly. Mine seems mutch more severe. I'm guessing this is because i'm releasing the lag i have stored up a fraction early? But oddly looking at the pics i cant see any obvious sign of an early release. My wrists and arms still looked cocked but yet the club head is screaming forward toward the ball. That's just a shot in the dark.  i'd appreciate any tips or input any of you might have. Oh one more thing, this club i'm swinging in the yard is a practice club, steel normal flex shaft, but the clubs in my bag are burner 2.0's with graphite shafts so i couldn't imagine how bad this would look with those things. Does it seem like i should be playing steel shafts? Possibly even stiff steels? Thanks for your time and any input you might have.

Chris

Is this a frame take out of video?  I am going to guess yes.  It is the way the frame is taken.  It is not a global shutter meaning the entire frame is exposed at the same time.  As the frame is exposed the shaft appear to bow because it is moving very fast and the pixels are populated from the top down.  My explanation may be poor but this is not a reason to get new shafts.

Also welcome to the forum!

Originally Posted by nospin44

Thanks guys i had no idea a camera could create such an illusion.

LOL ... you're not the only one.  People come on here all the time asking the same question, and I, myself, wasn't aware of this effect either until I started reading about it on here.  But, yeah, the above posters are all correct ... it's just the camera, not the club.

Well i guess its good to know. At first glance of the stills i was completely confused/concerned that i was doing something horribly wrong lol. Besides the illusion though how does my swing look? Kinda seems like im keeping my hands back to long. My 8 iron is my 160 club. Not that distance matters but it seems my distances are getting bigger by the week. The burners dont help with that either i suppose. Cant tell you how many greens i over shoot because of the burners "hot spots"

• 1 month later...

I took the camera to the range the other day, and found some interesting defects in my swing.  I need to fix quite a few things, but I also saw something very odd....the shaft of all of my clubs was doing something odd just past parallel on the downswing.  it appears to flex, as if I'm decelerating.  I do not think I am decelerating, and even if I am, no way am I decelerating so forcefully to make the club do what it's doing.

Take a look at the video at :02, :09 and :17.  These are 3 different clubs - first is a 3W, 2nd is a driver, 3rd is a 5i I think.  The driver is a Steelhead with a ProForce 55 Gold Stiff, driver is a Callaway Razr X Black with a Fujikura F8 Stiff, and the irons are Callaway X-12 uniflex I believe.

Thoughts??

It is not real, but rather an effect from how the camera read out the data. More here: http://thesandtrap.com/t/34727/shaft-flex-as-seen-on-camera-photos-or-video-rolling-shutter-illusion

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Guys,

I have a Nike Machspeed Black driver with the stock Fubuki shaft in Stiff flex.  My swing speed is around 100mph and this shaft just feels to sloppy.  I'm thinking about upgrading to a different shaft with a little less flex.  I'm about a 15 handicapper, so I'm by no means a pro...what shafts do you guys suggest?

I tend to hit the ball high and I'd like to lower my trajectory quite a bit.  My driver before this was a TM Burner Superfast and I hit it pretty well, but also high and ALOT of spin.  The ball would literally only roll 5 feet in the fairway.

I've attached a  photo that shows the flex in the shaft during my swing...I'm no expert but I can't imagine a true stiff shaft flexing this much.  I feel like it's costing me distance.  What are some of your thoughts?

Note: This thread is 2829 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!