IGNORED

Shaft Flex as Seen on Camera (Photos or Video) - Rolling Shutter Illusion

Note: This thread is 2850 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Stiff is ok for a 100 mph swing speed. I have seen many pics where the shaft has that much flex.

I would be much more concerned about the casting or early release in your swing. When your left arm is in that position your shaft should be at least perpendicular to the ground. You have fully released +- 3ft earlier than you should have.  This adds loft to the club at impact and will create higher ball flight and reduced distance with all clubs.

Wedges will be weak high shots where you struggle to hit a sand wedge 80-90 yds and you should be hitting closer to 100yds with your swing speed.

Here is a double image in sequence of what you should look like at 2 positions in the downswing. In your pic the club head has already gone past the hands and this shouldn't happen until just after impact.

I was actually thinking that the position of the clubhead and his hands looked strange also.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just an FYI, your pic is an illusion caused by the camera.

:tmade: R15 14* Matrix Black Tie 7m3

:adams: Speedline Super S 3w & 5w Matrix Radix HD S VI

:callaway: X-12 4-PW Memphis 10

IONNOVEX  Type S GDT 50*, 54* & 62* Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage Black 80ir

:odyssey: Tri-Ball SRT

-Landon

If you are referring to my post, illusion implies something that appears differently than actual.

The 2 images in one picture that you see are no illusion.

Originally Posted by szaino

If you are referring to my post, illusion implies something that appears differently than actual.

The 2 images in one picture that you see are no illusion.

He's referring to the OP's picture.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

So what is the illusion in the ops pic?  The pic isn't blurred so it must be a pretty good quality camera speed.

If the shaft and club head were blurred it would still just be returning what happened within that particular frame and because you know which way the club is moving you know what happened in what order.

So what is the illusion in the ops pic?  The pic isn't blurred so it must be a pretty good quality camera speed.

If the shaft and club head were blurred it would still just be returning what happened within that particular frame and because you know which way the club is moving you know what happened in what order.

It's a reoccurring question on here. It's the illusion of the shaft bending forward, anyway, if you're interested read the link:

http://thesandtrap.com/t/34727/shaft-flex-as-seen-on-camera-photos-or-video-rolling-shutter-illusion

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

The shaft is supposed to be bending forward after/while it is being released.

The shaft goes from being bent back as energy is stored and then straightens and bends forward or in a "C" shape as you look at it face on during the downswing and release process. This is demonstrated in may videos with high speed cameras to capture exactly what is happening.

I looked quickly at the link posted above. But this principal is confirmed with high speed cameras.

The shaft also bends on a 2nd axis. If you are standing behind the swing the shaft bows in a reverse C position slightly because the CG ( or force) of the club head is not in line with the axis of the shaft.

The shaft bending forward like that in the pic is an illusion caused by the way the camera takes the picture.

-Landon

It's a reoccurring question on here. It's the illusion of the shaft bending forward, anyway, if you're interested read the link: [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/t/34727/shaft-flex-as-seen-on-camera-photos-or-video-rolling-shutter-illusion]http://thesandtrap.com/t/34727/shaft-flex-as-seen-on-camera-photos-or-video-rolling-shutter-illusion[/URL]

Thank You.

-Landon

Originally Posted by LBlack14

The shaft bending forward like that in the pic is an illusion caused by the way the camera takes the picture.

Some cameras can distort or make the bending look more than it is, but a shaft is definitely bending into a "C" position during the release.

In the OP's pic the left arm is pointed at or slightly behind the right foot and the shaft is almost in line with the arm - this equals early release, and it's virtually impossible for it not to be "C" shaped at this point.

Here is a good slow mo of Tiger. Stop at the 41 second point, you will see the club head is still lagging the left arm and hands and the shaft in a "C" shape.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wc9Wb9JKpTE

I agree that pics/videos taken without high speed cameras can get distorted, but I don't know if I would say the op's "C' shape is an illusion.

Some cameras can distort or make the bending look more than it is, but a shaft is definitely bending into a "C" position during the release.

In the OP's pic the left arm is pointed at or slightly behind the right foot and the shaft is almost in line with the arm - this equals early release, and it's virtually impossible for it not to be "C" shaped at this point.

I'm not so sure that is correct.  Just thinking about it from a physics standpoint, early release or not, so long as you are still accelerating, it seems to me that, if anything, the clubhead will lag behind the grip.  Once you start to slow down, like if you were to do a "check swing," then certainly the clubhead will get ahead of the grip, but just because you lose your wrist angles, or early extend, or whatever is being done, that doesn't necesarily equal a drop in velocity, does it?

You are 100% correct- as long as you are still accelerating during the downswing, the backwards bend in the shaft will be maintained.

So when you are looking at the last few feet of the swing where this all happens there are 2 components creating the swing speed.

- the swinging of your arms when combined with the uncocking of the wrist (like a shot of nitrous)  provides for the maximum speed that can be generated in a downswing.

Once the wrist has uncocked which is really over a very small distance, the club is no longer accelerating ( the nitrous shot is over) and the energy stored in the shaft will start to unbend the shaft to the "C" shape.

I have seen this in countless videos and in the ops pic he has already passed through the max speed point or put another way- an early release.

• 11 months later...

Here's a downswing position, I'm swinging easily and relaxed, here's a still picture of downswing pre-impact. I can hit the ball 275 carry with driver, though. I hit that yesterday. I dunno really some people say that this is an optical illusion created by camera but I'm just a golfer and not a tech expert of cameras.

Vid and pic were taken with a samsung s4 phone camera (or something like)

Full videos of my iron swing, hybrid swing and driver swing can be found at member swings area. Slow the video to about 1/10 of normal speed.

Here's a downswing position, I'm swinging easily and relaxed, here's a still picture of downswing pre-impact. I can hit the ball 275 carry with driver, though. I hit that yesterday. I dunno really some people say that this is an optical illusion created by camera but I'm just a golfer and not a tech expert of cameras.

Vid and pic were taken with a samsung s4 phone camera (or something like)

Full videos of my iron swing, hybrid swing and driver swing can be found at member swings area. Slow the video to about 1/10 of normal speed.

That is an illusion caused by the camera you use. The shafts don't bend that way.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

ok, good.

I suppose I'll get clubs fitted sometime later then.

Is there any sort of established knowledge on shaft flexibility, any guidelines per swing speed, guidelines as to the amount of loft and swing speed? This for driver club.

Cause I can carry a range ball out to 275 yards... I don't know, it just got me thinking about maximizing my golf opportunities. :banana:

• 2 months later...

Hi

I was watching videos of myself hitting a 4 iron and I noticed that the shaft seems to flex quite a bit. Is this flex normal?

I'm playing Taylormade Preferred Tour CB in a TBS stiff shaft.

Note: This thread is 2850 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!