IGNORED

Putting counts...

killerduck
Note: This thread is 5110 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey guys.

Today I went out and shot my 2nd best score ever (+11, 81) beat my previous best at my new home course by 4.

My average score sat this course was 87, with average putts was 33.6
I've spent maybe a total of 90 minutes over the last 2 days working on putting, and today I had 27 putts. 6 below my average putting count, and, not surprisingly, shots below my scoring average at this course.

But it could've been a bit better. +3 for the front 9, +8 on the back with a mini melt-down on 15 when I went into a water hazard.

But I now have a new found confidence in my putting. All down to practice!

Big Bertha 454, 10* reg
904F, 15* Dynamic Gold S300
Tour Special, 18* reg
DCI 962, 3-PW, Dynamic Gold R300
X tour wedges, 52* and 56* 8881 putter Pro V1's for the momentBlogging my "Quest for single digits" every week.

I don't make time to practice. However, if I want to do well in a tournament, I will spend an evening or two practicing putting and chipping before the event. I've yet to have it work against me. At our first event this past weekend, I practiced putting (and only putting) the 2 days before the event. I shot 6 shots below my handicap. It was primarily due to putting.

In my bag:

Driver: 907d2
Fairway: R7 ti 5-Wood
Hybrids: 909H 21 Rescue 4Irons: KZG Forged Evolution 5 - PW w/Rifle 6.0 shaftWedges: 52 Rac & Vokey 58Putter: Studio Select 2Ball: Titleist ProV1xEyes: SG5

I need to work on my putting, I average 38 putts a round!

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

I need to work on my putting, I average 38 putts a round!

Wow! That's huge!

Technically, par for putting is 36 (2 per hole) but really it's a bit less. I think most people would say 30 putts is par for a round. Imagine what your scoring would be if you averaged 30 putts instead of 38! You'd be off 5 (if your h/cap is 13.1)

Big Bertha 454, 10* reg
904F, 15* Dynamic Gold S300
Tour Special, 18* reg
DCI 962, 3-PW, Dynamic Gold R300
X tour wedges, 52* and 56* 8881 putter Pro V1's for the momentBlogging my "Quest for single digits" every week.

Im averaging 33.4 putts per round. I shot my first 79 with 27 putts last Sunday.....so yes, it matters bigtime.

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Wow! That's huge!

I never really practice putting (boring) but I guess that's what I'll have to do from now on.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

Putt for dough and drive for show!

Putt for lower scores. Someone said you should practice from the hole backwards to lower your scores and keep them low. first putting, chipping around the green from 5, 10, 20 yards off the green and pitching from 30 - 80 yards to the hole.

The most time should be spend on putting, then chipping and finally pitching.

Putting is all about distance control and being able to consistently hit a straight putt.

Keep stats on our putts per hole, front nine and total per round and also your up and downs from around the green. If you improve you puttting and then work on your chipping and pitching you can see how your putting will also improve and you will consistently putt below 30 for 18 holes.

It took me 20 years to figure this out, I am trying to instill this in my 15 year old son, who shot 10 over for 18 holes last Monday.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

Based on my last 3 rounds, 27 putts per round would have been 73, 72, and 70 strokes. I know it's boring (reeeeeeally boring), but putting practice is the way to go - as if I didn't already know this.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Practicing putting and chipping is the easiest and fastest way to drop some shots. Still, without a good swing, you will peak at some point. There are more shots to drop by improving ball striking and the swing, but it is a lot harder and in most cases you would greatly benefit of taking lessons or some other sort of instruction. Putting and chipping can easily be practiced on your own.

If you leave a putt short or miss the line, you know the reason for it. If your club face is closed 2 degrees at impact with the driver, there can be lots of causes, you may need a video camera to see it.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Wow! That's huge!

How do you possibly figure that 30 putts is par??? The way the course is designed to be played is hit the green in regulation, then 2 putts. That sets par for putting at 36 for a typical 18 hole course. You may think that an acceptable

average is 30, but that doesn't change par. That's like saying that because the average score for 18 holes is 84, that 84 now becomes par. If the card says that par is 72, then par is 72. Par is a fixed number. The same logic applies to putting... par is 2 putts per hole played.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Glad to see someone posting the importance of good putting, but for my 2 cents worth I reckon buying/owning a good putter that you really love & feel confident over is worth at least 3 shots per round too. Getting my #7 Odyssey certainly helped me.

What's in my Titleist RC10 Cart Bag? Driver: Nike Sasquatch Sumo Square 5900 10.5* Aldila VS Proto 65 stiff shaft
3 Wood: Nike SQ Mach Speed 15* Hybrid: Nike 5H Ignite 23*
Irons: Nike Ignite 4i-Sw Wedges: Vokey Design 252*-08 / Oil Can Spin Milled 60*-08
Putter: Odyssey White Ice 2Ball CS 34"...

Man, so true. I'm so embarrassed by my putting, I'm definitely the worst putter I know and I do work on it, but it's gotten to a point where I need a mental turnaround. This year I've been averaging 2.3 putts/hole (41 putts/round), and that's improved from last year. Lately, I've been working on 5 foot putts and making those out on the course, and that has helped some. Seriously, when I look at a 15 footer now I'm just trying not to 3 putt

Made it through 9 holes with 14 putts yesterday. 2-putted the first 5, then one-putted the last 4. It saved a sub-50 round (49) for me even after throwing a bunch of strokes away in other ways... It helped that there were a couple of < 2-foot first-putts after good chips, but there were also a couple of 15-footers. Two of the 2-putts were from ~40 feet, including one from a lower tier to the upper that was just a couple inches from a 1-putt.

I've been putting a lot better after demoing some other putters. Tried a 33-inch shaft and found I putted a lot better that way. Can't afford the putter right now, but it encouraged me to choke down on my old putter which has helped a ton.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

Made it through 9 holes with 14 putts yesterday. 2-putted the first 5, then one-putted the last 4. It saved a sub-50 round (49) for me even after throwing a bunch of strokes away in other ways... It helped that there were a couple of < 2-foot first-putts after good chips, but there were also a couple of 15-footers. Two of the 2-putts were from ~40 feet, including one from a lower tier to the upper that was just a couple inches from a 1-putt.

why not chop a couple inches out of your current putter and regrip? itll get you where you want to be until you can afford the new putter you want. I took an inch out of my scotty for this exact reason, but it also gave me an excuse to get a baby-t grip :D

What I play:

R7 Limited, UST V2
Burner 3W, Rifle ULF
Tour 3H-4H, Rifle ULF RAC MB 5-PW, Rifle ULF 54*, 58*, TP Smoke wedges Black Pearl Studio Select 1.5 ProV1 or TP Red LDP

why not chop a couple inches out of your current putter and regrip? itll get you where you want to be until you can afford the new putter you want. I took an inch out of my scotty for this exact reason, but it also gave me an excuse to get a baby-t grip :D

I might give that a shot, but I'm sorta looking forward to replacing it with a blade since I've found I don't do the straight-back-and-through mallet motion very well. So I think I might be better off putting the few bucks toward the new one (drooling over Karsten Anser or Anser 2, so $10 or so is an appreciable chunk of the price).

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

30 putts per round is good for me. I am around 33 per. It is a huge stat for me. I have salvaged rounds with my putter getting up and in a bunch. Two stats i care about : GIR and putts. I practice my putting quite a bit. I do the phil 3 foot drill. I am actually doing it today before league in about an hour.

Brian

I might give that a shot, but I'm sorta looking forward to replacing it with a blade since I've found I don't do the straight-back-and-through mallet motion very well. So I think I might be better off putting the few bucks toward the new one (drooling over Karsten Anser or Anser 2, so $10 or so is an appreciable chunk of the price).

I did that very thing (chopping off 2"), with a Karsten Anser 2, coincidentally.

Played with the standard 35" putter for 20+ years, always choking way down. Took a few practice strokes with a 33" and realized how much easier it is to control that simply gripping down on a longer putter. Try it, you'll like it! Cheers, DoctorK

Competitive golf is played mainly on a five-and-a-half-inch course... the space between your ears.
~~Bobby Jones~~

Note: This thread is 5110 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!