IGNORED

Why Would Anyone Want to Carry Their Bag?

colin007
Note: This thread is 5078 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

i cant think of a good reason why one would want to carry their clubs. the modern push carts (sun mountain, bag boy...) are so good, theres no reason not to have one. if youre doing it for the exercise, there are better ways to get your cardio/lift on. besides, its been shown to cost you strokes by the time you get to the end of your round. the tour guys dont carry their clubs, why would you?

Tour pro's couldn't carry their super sized bag if they wanted. I carried my bag for years and it never cost me any stroke. Stand/carry bags are feather light and I never carried much junk. When I got to about age 45, I bought my first push cart and I love it, but if I were younger I would still carry. I also don't make it a point to worry about what others are doing. I could care less if you walk, ride, carry or use a push cart.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm 27 and have used a push cart for probably the last 3-4 years. I actually get quite a few snide/sarcastic comments from people about it, but why would anyone care? I'll never go back. Having the ability to carry as much stuff as I could possibly need is awesome. MN summers are SUPER muggy at times, and my bag used to get very heavy carrying all the water I would need in a round. Now, it's not even a concern, and I enjoy walking the course just as much as I did when I carried.

Just enjoy your time out there however you like, and don't worry about what other people are doing!
Golf appeals to the idiot in us and the child. Just how childlike golf players become is proven by their frequent inability to count past five. ~John Updike

In my stand bag:
Driver: 983k 10.5*3 Wood: Sumo2 15*Irons: 690cb 2-PWWedges 54* and 58* oil can finishPutter: White hot mallet

I'm 27 and have used a push cart for probably the last 3-4 years. I actually get quite a few snide/sarcastic comments from people about it, but why would anyone care? I'll never go back. Having the ability to carry as much stuff as I could possibly need is awesome. MN summers are SUPER muggy at times, and my bag used to get very heavy carrying all the water I would need in a round. Now, it's not even a concern, and I enjoy walking the course just as much as I did when I carried.

They're probably jealous that you actually enjoy golf while they've forgotten what that feels like.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I laugh at anyone under about fifty that ride a cart when they play. Most are just too lazy to walk and many get out of breath just walking from the car to their cart. At my home course, I would say walkers out number riders, two to one and almost all the walkers use push carts outside of the kids that carry.

• Administrator
I laugh at anyone under about fifty that ride a cart when they play. Most are just too lazy to walk and many get out of breath just walking from the car to their cart. At my home course, I would say walkers out number riders, two to one and almost all the walkers use push carts outside of the kids that carry.

I walk when I can, but my home course is pretty much cart-required. Hills, distances between greens and tees, and on occasion I'll jump around holes which is MUCH easier in a cart. But also, I can play in 90 minutes or so.

If I have a partner, I like to walk as much as possible, like from the spot of my approach shot to my ball on the green. Strolls with a putter are fun. And I'm not lazy, play hockey, park far from the stores because I don't mind the walk, and think that this (what you said) is one generalization that won't really hold up.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

And just why do you even care? Or bother to post it?

Does that make you feel better about yourself?

Ditto..... and ditto again.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I love carrying my bag! I've never pull-carted before, but I do not like riding a cart, especially with a partner. I don't want to ride to your ball. I don't want to drive through the woods with you looking for you ball. I dont want to have to drive the cart around the green and walk back to chip off the front edge.

However, I will ride on the weekends when I know it's going to be a loooong round. NY weekend rounds can easily get 5-6 hours. Sometimes, you just need a place to sit in the shade...

I don't know about the word "want" to carry. Really, for me, it's more about riding vs walking. If I'm walking (which I usually do), I carry. I've tried a few push carts and just don't like how my bag sits in them. So.... I carry.

Frankly, I just don't think about it. If I walk, I carry my clubs. I don't think "hey, I'm GOING to walk this round so I can carry my clubs!"

What I Play:

Driver: R9 460
4 Wood: G15

Hy: Callaway FT 3Hy

Irons: AP1 4-PW

Wedges: Vokey 52* & 60*, Mizuno MP-T 10 58*

Putter: Newport Studio Select 2.7

Ball: Nike One Vapor

...but it seems like the "purists" here dont think its pure unless youre carrying.

It seems to me that the people that carry are the non-purist.

The tradition in golf is to NOT carry you bag--that's the job of your caddy. Things like carts and pull/push trollys are simpley caddy replacements. It is the people that carry that are breaking with tradition.

Instight XTD A30S Driver 10.5° ($69 new ebay)
Instight XTD A3OS Fairway Wood 15° ($45 new ebay)
Fybrid 19.5° ($35 new ebay)
Ci7 4-GW ($175 new Rock Bottom Golf via ebay)
53° & 58° 8620 DD wedges ($75 each new PGA Superstore) C2-DF ($35 new Rock Bottom Golf) Riley TT stand bag ($7 n...

If that's the case, everyone but tour players and people who play courses that still have caddies are breaking tradition :P

:cobra: Fly-Z+ White
:callaway: XR 3 Wood
:adams: Idea Pro Black 21*
:callaway: XR 4 Hybrid
:callaway: Apex 5, Apex Pro 6,7 Apex MB 8,9,P
:tmade: 50° Gap Wedge
:callaway: Mack Daddy 2 54° 58°
:nike: Method 001 33"

of course its a real opinion. i can bring my push cart on the teebox, in the rough, basically anywhere you can put your bag down. and i get my exercise elsewhere. trust me, im in better shape than most of the guys on this site.

You sir are a moron. Its like saying why would you want to use a golf cart when you could be getting exercise. Totally pointless thread and you are being reported for trolling.

Good day

It seems to me that the people that carry are the non-purist.

Putting your golf bag (not pure) onto a little trolley is not pure or traditional. You should really be hitting a rock with a curved stick at a peg in the ground - while you're tending the sheep.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Putting your golf bag (not pure) onto a little trolley is not pure or traditional. You should really be hitting a rock with a curved stick at a peg in the ground - while you're tending the sheep.

That's a great idea. Think of the savings on grass-cutting if every golfer had to bring his own sheep!! Let's start a petition to the USGA.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

... I do not like riding a cart, especially with a partner. I don't want to ride to your ball. I don't want to drive through the woods with you looking for you ball. I dont want to have to drive the cart around the green and walk back to chip off the front edge.

Amen, Guy Icognito!

I am way too impatient to go through all that. Drives me nuts! I want to go straight to my ball - only way to ensure that is by walking (or riding solo). Cheers, DoctorK

Competitive golf is played mainly on a five-and-a-half-inch course... the space between your ears.
~~Bobby Jones~~

Amen, Guy Icognito!

The funny thing is, I actually like golf and spending time on the course.

But, playing 36 holes, I'd want a cart on the second 18 or if I had to fit in 9-holes before work, yeah a solo cart would be great.

Note: This thread is 5078 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!