IGNORED

Why Would Anyone Want to Carry Their Bag?

colin007
Note: This thread is 5065 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

i cant think of a good reason why one would want to carry their clubs. the modern push carts (sun mountain, bag boy...) are so good, theres no reason not to have one. if youre doing it for the exercise, there are better ways to get your cardio/lift on. besides, its been shown to cost you strokes by the time you get to the end of your round. the tour guys dont carry their clubs, why would you?

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because some people don't need a pull cart. They do just fine carrying them. It's comfortable, easy....I don't see the point of this thread.

Some people like to carry their clubs.

Why?

They just do.

I am one of them.

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

I love to carry. My bag is light, my towel, water bottle, cell phone, tee's, balls and clubs are all withing easy reach while I walk, if I had a push or pull cart I'd have to stop for all those things. And I love the excercise. To each his own, but there is reason America is the most over weight country in the world...

I only carry my clubs from the car to the range, though i usually ride in a cart most of the time. I put enough stress on my back at work that I dont need to carry a bag around and risk hurting my back that way, forget it. My bag is pretty heavy, maybe if I had a smaller lighter bag more designed for carrying it would be easier. But you have to put it down every time you hit a shot, pick it up and so on. I'm sure if I did walk and carry my bag, I'd be asking for back problems, it gets sore sometimes now. If you like doing it, go ahead, I just wont be joining you. The only time I ever walk is at my local par 3 course but I use a cart there, you still get exercise if thats what you're after, im not, golf is for fun for me, I dont rely on it for fitness, I do that away from the course.

In my bag
Driver-top flite cannon 460 cc 10.5 deg, reg flex
3 Wood-ACUITY GOLF RCX 14°
3h-warrior golf tcp 20°
4h-warrior golf tcp 23°5h-warrior golf tcp 26° 6-pw-AFFINITY / ORLIMAR HT2 SERIES irons steel shafts regular flex56° sw-tour seriesram puttergolf balls-intech beta ti

i cant think of a good reason why one would want to carry their clubs. the modern push carts (sun mountain, bag boy...) are so good, theres no reason not to have one. if youre doing it for the exercise, there are better ways to get your cardio/lift on. besides, its been shown to cost you strokes by the time you get to the end of your round. the tour guys dont carry their clubs, why would you?

Are you trolling or this a real opinion?

Maybe you should play a course with equal push cart and power carts restrictions. It's really nice to have all your sticks and all your stuff right there with you - on the teebox, in the rough, in the port-o-potty, oops!

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I much, much prefer carrying than pushing or riding.

To me, that's golf.

WITB;

R9 9.5* TP Driver
906f2 15* 3 Wood
585h 21* Hybrid j33 Irons RAC tp 52*/56* Wedges Newport 1.5 e6 Ball

of course its a real opinion. i can bring my push cart on the teebox, in the rough, basically anywhere you can put your bag down. and i get my exercise elsewhere. trust me, im in better shape than most of the guys on this site.

and how is it "more" golf than what the pros do? they dont carry...

Colin P.

I like my Bag Boy pull cart. I used to carry all the time until my back got cranky. I hate riding.........but I cant convince my fat buddies to walk.

I think you should carry until you reach 40,, after that, get an old man push cart.. like I did :) I dont like seeing young guys pushing.. they should carry.. IMHO

Lightweight Cart Bag
Scotty Cameron Putter (several models unfortunately)studio stock 4
AP2 Irons 4-PW
ProV1X Balls
2 and 3 TP Rescue07 Burner TP 9.560, 56, 52 CG 12 WedgesOld man CartSi vis pacem, para bellum

Why wouldn't someone want not to carry there bag. Nothing like carrying your bag on the course, enjoying the day. I wouldn't consider not carrying my bag unless the course is layout to were you walk forever between holes or its extremely hilly, like Blackmour in eastern ohio, you just cant carry that course and survive.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

My 2 cents

When I took up golf more seriously I noticed that I started to drop a few kilos after a couple of months of play... This was still using a pull cart.... I also noticed that my wieght plateued after losing about 5kgs...

Since carrying my bag on most occasions I have managed to drop another 5kgs and keep it off....

I am under no illusions that from a cardio point of view I am no fitter than if I used a pull cart but for general good exercise it definately works....

In all honesty I'd rather be 5 kgs lighter than save a shot a round... some people play for fun you know.....

"Let the bears pay the bear tax I pay the Homer tax!"

The club I play in requires motorized carts. Truthfully, I much prefer it that way. I've got two really bad knees and I'm only 31 years old. I can walk a course and carry my bag... but - I feel much more comfortable when I'm riding in a cart. It makes it so I can still move by the time I get home.

I have played with guys who prefer to carry their bag... many for the same reasons stated (everything is within reach, more exercise, etc.)

To each his or her own.

CY

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022
- 9 Holes - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

In all honesty I'd rather be 5 kgs lighter than save a shot a round... some people play for fun you know.....

i can respect that. but if you count every stroke and a stroke or two makes a difference, then carrying yor clubs is hurting.

Colin P.

Well think of it this way, if you can walk 18 and shoot good, then you might shoot even better if when you do ride. Might as well get in peak shape as possible. Greg norman use to carry his bag up steep hills to build leg strength.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

because thats what MEN do. seems this whole thread was started to make OP feel better about being too lazy to carry. OP, theres nothing wrong with using a pull cart. people might laugh at you, but do you really care? you knew theyd laugh at you for making this thread but gosh darnit you did it anyway. just playin man, i'm sure you have a reason.

I used to think I didn't need a push cart and it was fine to carry my bag around, but at minimum weight of just clubs and my bag, it was weighing over 20 lbs. and then when I add all the junk including water and balls, etc., it gets a lot heavier. Plus, I try to play 2-4 times a week and after a year, the bag is splitting from the constant use.

Picked up a sun mountain (early b-day present from the wife), and I didn't know what I was missing out on. The last 4 rounds I've played with it, I have shot par or better for the last 6 holes. I used to have some sort of disaster stretch dropping a few shots in that stretch, so the effect that weight had on my back has been lifted.

What pushed me to get the cart was what I had read in several articles. Turns out, you burn close to the same amount of calories while pushing a cart as carrying so the benefit only seems to grow from using the cart. It may seem silly for a young guy in great shape to push around a cart, but I tell you, it definitely makes a difference in your play with few cons.

Why wouldn't someone want not to carry there bag. Nothing like carrying your bag on the course, enjoying the day. I wouldn't consider not carrying my bag unless the course is layout to were you walk forever between holes or its extremely hilly, like Blackmour in eastern ohio, you just cant carry that course and survive.

Why

would somebody want to carry their bag? I've read the arguments about having all your stuff close at hand and I just don't get it. How far away are you parking your cart? I understand that sometimes (90deg rule) you have to stop on the other side of the fw, so just grab a few clubs & walk over. Does a batter in baseball carry all his bats to the plate just to have them all close? I don't mind walking, I just don't see any reason to lug a 20lb bag with me all day.
my get up and go musta got up and went..

Note: This thread is 5065 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!