IGNORED

Pulled the 60 degree wedge.

Note: This thread is 5091 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I pulled my 60 degree wedge out of my bag for the past two weeks and have been practicing exclusivley with the 56* and my scores have been better and greenside play has improved. It's not that I had trouble hitting the 60*, but I think it gave me to many options between that and the 56*. I think that my SW gives me enough options around the green and is pretty versatile. It used to be on a greenside chip or pitch I was always up in the air about which to use and how to use it. Open it up for a higher trajectory or pitch and roll, etc. Now I can do both with consistency because I'm only practicing with one wedge. Of course I use the odd 8 iron for low trajectory pitches, but the 56* is my go to club. Pulling the 60* has also made me dial in those 1/2 and 3/4 swings from 50 and 75 yards.

I guess what I'm saying is if you are struggling with decision making greenside about which wedge to use take one out of the bag for a while and see if your scores don't improve.

Pulled mine too - I've screwed up one too many holes with that stupid thang.

"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred." Woody Allen
My regular pasture.

I have read several magazine articles that have stated unless you are a tour pro you don't need to carry a 60 degree wedge. I playec with some guys yesterday that kept hitting flop shots with a 60 when a simple pitch and run or chip would have done the trick. Unless you only have a couple of feet of green to work with, you don't need a 60 degree wedge.

Tools of the Trade
Burner Driver. 9.5 Loft. Stiff Shaft

Pro CB Irons, 3-PW, Stiff Shaft
SV Tour Wedges: 52,56,60

I have read several magazine articles that have stated unless you are a tour pro you don't need to carry a 60 degree wedge. I playec with some guys yesterday that kept hitting flop shots with a 60 when a simple pitch and run or chip would have done the trick. Unless you only have a couple of feet of green to work with, you don't need a 60 degree wedge.

so why do you carry a 60* then?

If your not confident with a 60* don't use one. If you like it, it'll be your best friend. Mine has gotten me out of a load of trouble. And yes bump and runs are nice. But bump and checks are even nicer.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

HA!!!! Welcome to the club. I pulled mine at the start of the season and added a 2H instead. Best decision I've made. I've been using my 56* exclusively as well. My chipping has been much improved. The 2H has worked out also.

Kevin

-------
In the Bag
Driver: G15 9.0*3 & 5 Wood: BurnerHybrid: Pro Gold 20*; 23*Irons: MP-58 (5-PW)Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled 52*8; 56*14Putter: Newport 2.0 33"Balls: NXT

so why do you carry a 60* then?

You are aware that 60* wedges don't produce any more spin than any other wedge right?

What I Play:
Wilson Mini Stand Bag | PING G10, 10.5°, Proforce V2 HL S | PING G5, 15°, 18°, Aldila NV 75 S | PING G5, 19°, Aldila VS Proto By You 80 S
Mizuno MX200 4-PW S | Ping Tour W 50/12 X | Ping Tour W 58/TS X | A selection of putters, all 35.5 inches.

I did the same thing two years ago. I knew I had the option to hit a 60* flop shot too much, and you leave yourself too little room for error in hitting the shot. I pulled the 60* and actually can hit a better flop shot with the 56* wedge now and have found myself to be much more consistent in having the 56* at the end of the bag...

WITB
Driver: Ping G425 - Aldila Rogue White
3 Wood: Nike SQ Dymo 
Hybrid: TaylorMade SLDR
Irons: Ping i525 Retro Spec
Wedges: Cleveland 588 (52,56,60)
Putter: Never Compromise Gamble Limited Custom

Balls: Titleist ProV1

You are aware that 60* wedges don't produce any more spin than any other wedge right?

You sure?

I can hit low shots that check with a 60* but can't with my 54*. Same model, just for some reason the 60* gets more spin.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

The flop shot wasn't my thing and I rarely hit it when I had my 60*. I was confident hitting the 60*, but I think it was having the two different trajectories to think about, one with the 60 and one with the 56. This isn't counting all the different trajectories you can get by opening or closing the clubface of each club. Now I have one club that can certainly handle 99.9% of all greenside work and practice with exclusively which has cemented the shot making with the single wedge. I can open or close it down and know exactly what it willdo. I'm sure there are tons of players who play the 60 and their other wedges well, I have just found for me taking the 60* out of the bag hasn't had a detriment ot my scores. Perhaps at some time in the future I will put it back in???

My 56* is also my sand wedge with 12* of bounce. Not so fine for hitting a ball sitting up on hard ground which is what I see a lot of. Without the 60*, I'd have to go with my 53* on most lies. At least my 60* has a dent in the shaft, that makes it about a 58*. :)

Anybody tried out a 64*?

Carry Bag, experimental mix-- 9* Integra 320, TT X100 Gold shaft
MacGregor Tourney 2-iron circa 1979

High grass club: #5 Ginty
Irons: 3,4,8,9 Cleveland 588P RTG Proforce 95 Gold shafts
Hogan fifty-three Hogan 5612

Ping Kushin

Anybody tried out a 64*?

my friend has a 64*. He can hit it pretty good. I've tried it and the ball just pops straight up into the sky, didn't like it.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex

I recently added my 60° wedge (though it's about 13 years old). After some practice and one round, I'm going to keep it, but only for full swings. It very reliably travels 60 yards with a short stop, so that's one fewer half-swing to think about. I'm probably going to use my 52° for chipping, though maybe the old 56°. But I'm definitely going to settle on one wedge for the finesse stuff, and keep the others just for full or near-full swings. Too hard to remember the touch for 3 different clubs.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

My 56* is also my sand wedge with 12* of bounce. Not so fine for hitting a ball sitting up on hard ground which is what I see a lot of. Without the 60*, I'd have to go with my 53* on most lies. At least my 60* has a dent in the shaft, that makes it about a 58*. :)

I have a 64 but its collecting dust, my brother bought it for me but i havn't really found a use for it. my other two wedges are all the versitility I need. goes very high lands really soft but its a tough shovel to hit clean.

~It's the Indian not the Arrow ~

In my bag:
Driver: X460
3 Wood: WarbirdIrons: X18 Pros (3-PW)56 degree wedge: Oil can60 degree wedge: FeO2Putter: Desert Club: ISI 8 Iron~Still looking for a Straw hat~

It's usually a bounce issue for me whether or not I use my 60 degree or my 56. There's a few greens at my home course where you can find yourself on a hard pan lie next to the green and often it'll be a raised green to boot. If that's the case then the 60 comes out, otherwise I stick to the 56 or 52. I think if you know what situation you're going to use it in and stick to that then the 60 degree wedge can be a real asset, but I agree that if you're often tossing up about whether or not it's the best club for the job or maybe you're better of with the 56 then you'll be better served by leaving it out of the bag.

Had pulled my 60 earlier in the season, but after a couple weeks I put it back in. There are a few shots i simply hit better with the 60 over the 56.

Mark Boyd of the Clan Boyd
"Retired in my Dreams"

I have read several magazine articles that have stated unless you are a tour pro you don't need to carry a 60 degree wedge

and those people are all idiots. my 60 degree is routinely the most reliable club in my bag. if there's any sort of elevation to the green i'm trying to hit, which there often is, my 60* comes out. all it takes is practice.

i use my 60 degree for 99 percent of shots inside of 100 yards. that being said, that is just my preference and what i do well with.

the 56 has more bounce and is easier to hit. and if you want to hit it higher you can just open it up. so for most ppl i would just say use the 56.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 5091 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!