IGNORED

Do you balance your golf balls?

Note: This thread is 4047 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

If you do, have you seen a true difference? I do balance mine and the little wife's mainly because I got a spin balancer for a gift one year, and because it just sounds like if you spin balance them, they would have to fly longer and truer. What are your thoughts?

In my bag:
Driver X460 TOUR OPTIFIT 10.5* Graphite
FW 3W BIG BERTHA DIABLO 13* Graphite
FW 5W BIG BERTHA DIABLO 18* Graphite
Irons X-22 IRONS 5 - PW & SW GraphitePutter Odyssey Dual Force Rossie IIUnder my bag: 2007 EZGO ~ Customized

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If that's what I think it is, no I have not tried it. I did consider it back in the day (when playing wound balls).

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Just for clarification, mine is a little dome shaped item that spins the ball at an ungodly RPM. When it reaches it's maximum spin speed (you can tell by the smooth sound it makes) you put the tip of your marker through a hole on the side and it marks an "equator" on the ball. Then you simply line that mark up with the direction you want to hit it when you tee up, putt or pull off a fairway shot.

You'd be surprised at how unbalanced some balls are when you put them in the spinner. I've had one or two spin completely out if the cage wasn't put over it.

Confession time: I don't buy the most expensive balls. And until I quit loosing so many, I won't be buying the top of the line. It might be that the Pro V1 may not need it, but they might also surprise you.

In my bag:
Irons X-22 IRONS 5 - PW & SW GraphitePutter Odyssey Dual Force Rossie IIUnder my bag: 2007 EZGO ~ Customized

No I don't, because I don't believe such hogus bogus will make any difference at all. Perhaps a difference you can only measure with a 99,9999% identical swing each time and state of the art technical equipment. A difference you can't possibly see with the eyes.

If anyone got valid data to prove me wrong, I'll be happy to read it.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

three words:

TOO MUCH TIME

In my Titleist 2014 9.5" Staff bag:

Cobra Bio+ 9* Matrix White Tie X  - Taylormade SLDR 15* ATTAS 80X - Titleist 910H 19* ATTAS 100X - Taylormade '13 TP MC 4-PW PX 6.5 - Vokey TVD M 50* DG TI X100 - Vokey SM4 55 / Vokey SM5 60* DG TI S400 - Piretti Potenza II 365g

three words:

You mean that you are so busy that you never have time to sit and piddle with stuff? Man, I'm glad I'm not that busy! Bet someone like you has a catheter strapped to you side because it probably takes to long to stop by and take a leak. I enjoy sitting around and just messing with things I have an interest in. And it's not like I'm breaking a sweat, balancing the balls.

Another benefit I see is when I line up on the tee, I'm kindof spoiled by lining up that mark with the green. Then, I'm probably not as good as you, so I have to use a crutch every once in a while to better my game. Whatever works for you....

In my bag:

is this thread for real?

It's real - I've seen those spinners on TV in years past - think Slap Chop, but for hackers. You're gonna love my Putts!!

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

is this thread for real?

You stopped by so it must be for real..... don't loiter.

In my bag:

Check it out... and the reviews. But only if you have extra time on your hands. Gioguy21 surely won't have the time to click that link.

http://www.brookstone.com/check-go-p...FSDAsgod1wvlYA

In my bag:

Then you simply line that mark up with the direction you want to hit it when you tee up, putt or pull off a fairway shot.

Or you can just use the perfectly straight logo, or line almost all balls already have printed on them to line up your putts and shots......

i'd be skeptical of a noticeable difference. Then again, i do remember a golf digest (?) article testing ProV1's when lined up with the seam, and they flew SLIGHTLY straighter by ?a tiny amount of dispersion--not that i think this would be noticeable to any readers on this forum.

In terms of overall results, a line on a golf ball certainly can help your aim and setup, not only in putting, but also off the tee (i usually do like to align my ball's side markings at the target). Doubt any improvement has to do with the physics of the ball flight.

Driver: Cleveland Classic 270, 10.5*
Fairway Woods: Adams Speedline LP (3 & 5)
Hybrids: Wilson Staff Fybrids 21*, 24*, UST V2 stiff
Irons: Callaway X-20 Tour, 5-PW, Rifle Project-X (flighted) 6.0
Wedges: Cleveland CG15 DSG 52* & 58* +/- 56* Niblick

Putter: Yes! Amy

Or you can just use the perfectly straight logo, or line almost all balls already have printed on them to line up your putts and shots......

But how can you be sure that line is in the right spot unless you've balanced the ball? Hey, it can't hurt, can it?

But how can you be sure that line is in the right spot unless you've balanced the ball? Hey, it can't hurt, can it?

lol, for alignment? I point the logo where I want to aim, square my hips and shoulders parallel with the logo and am dead on target 90% of the time barring mishits. Can't tell you what that little trick did with my putting. If only you could mark your ball off the green so I could do it with my chips as well.

lol, for alignment? I point the logo where I want to aim, square my hips and shoulders parallel with the logo and am dead on target 90% of the time barring mishits. Can't tell you what that little trick did with my putting. If only you could mark your ball off the green so I could do it with my chips as well.

I actually place my ball with the blank side up now - no markings - cosnstent with my new feel oriented putting drills. We've all discovered our own "secrets". Maybe balanced balls works for the OP.

If you do, have you seen a true difference?

If there was a difference, do you seriously think that it would be detectable?

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

If there was a difference, do you seriously think that it would be detectable?

Not really sure, shorty. I've read about minute' motions that some golfers go through, some wrist movement, some hip roll, some little tip they've picked up and applied to their game that "really helps them". I think some sound pretty ridiculous, but to that golfer, it seemed to have "saved their game". Someone like enis or gioguy have probably got some little method that they will swear by, but would seem so stupid that there's no way they would post it here, but they will be quick to slam a procedure that someone else uses. I don't know if it's detectable or even keeps the ball on a straight path, but if nothing else, it does provide for a very straight line to address the ball by. I posted this to get opinions, knowing there would be a few narrow minded people to call me on it, but that's all part of it.

In my bag:

With modern golf balls and modern manufacturing methods, such "balancing" is meaningless. Balls are factory balanced to functional quality already. It's a waste of time and can't possibly have any causative effect on one's game. You say that you like to align the line... you can only do that on the tee and on putting green. The rest of time you play the ball as it lies, so why worry about it on the tee? If you really need a line, you can use one of those little plastic cups that the ball fits into and you use a sharpie to draw a line through a slot in the cup. Just as effective and takes no time, and you can carry it in your bag to mark a ball on the course too if needed.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 4047 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!