IGNORED

When did you start Golf?

Steven McFarlane
Note: This thread is 4926 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. When Did you Start

• Kid 0-12
    • Teenager 13-16
    • Young Adult- 17-19
    • Adult 20+

I started playing with my dad and grandfather when I was 5 or 6. They'd let me go with them and tee up at the 150 yard markers. I started playing real golf around 10 then got pretty serious about it at around 13.

Fore!

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

About 2 months ago at 39. My uncle has been trying to get me to play for about 30 years and it finally stuck :)

Driver: WRX G5 9* Fujikura Speeder 757
3-wood: G2 WRX 14*
Hybrid: G5 19*
Hibore Hybrid 3i 22*
Irons: G5 4-PW Wedges: Tour-W Black Nickel 52/12 & 58/08Putter: Milled NC #5Bag: Bagboy RevolverBall: ProV1XShoes: Adidas Tour 360 II

I started when I was young - 8 years or so, then played sporadically into my late teens, then I didn't play at all. Not having my own clubs and playing with my father's clubs was part of it. I got my own clubs last summer and have been playing a LOT. I need to establish a handicap.
In My TerraFirma Xi Bag:
Driver: R7 460 10.5° Fujikura REAX stock R-flex
3-Wood: Big Bertha Titanium RCH 75w Firm stock shaft
Hybrids: 585H 19.5° 4175 stock shaft
Irons (4-10): Big Bertha TT shaftsWedges: CG12 Black Pearl 52°10, 56°14, 60°10Putter: Studio Select Newport 33"Ball: ...

I learned how to swing when I was 12. My father took me out for 5 lessons 1 summer for my birthday (really more like a present to him to get me to play).
I didn't pick up a club again until last year which was my 1st real year.
And now i'm an ADDICT to the infinite degree.
DJ Yoshi
Official DJ: Rutgers Football
Boost Mobile Tour
In My Bag
HiBoreXL 9.5 White Board D63 Stiff Exotics CB2 5 Wood, Exotics CB3 3 Wood MP-60 5.5 Flighted Shafts 54 & Cleveland CG-10 60 Newport 2

I started when I was a kid, but didnt start actually taking it seriously until the last 8 months.
Driver 983k 9.5°
3 Wood 906f2 15°
5 wood 906f2 18°
Irons 735 3-pw S300, Golf Pride Tour Velvet cord
Wedges Spin Milled 53°, Spin Milled 59°Putter Studio Select Newport 2Goals for '10:1. Get down to scratch or better

I'm 36 yr old and I 1st played Golf when I was 21 or so, but never got into it faithfully until 8 yrs ago, then until last yr had a 6 yr layoff with having 2 children and moving out of State and what not (lost all my former Golf pals), and to be honest never had the desire to play up until last season, now I'm in the grove again and not turning back.....

I started at the age of 13 when I got my dad to bend a piece of iron they use in concrete into the shape of a putter. After a few months of diligent practice I was bought a Johnny Miller California 6 iron which I used for ages. Eventually I joined the best club in town, only to be disillusiioned by the snobbery and pettiness of the men in blazers. At 16 I had given up, but a year ago I picked it up again as means of diffusing some tension. I am glad I started so young as it meant picking it up again now has been much easier. I knew the technique, I just needed to put the hours in.

I started when I was 4 or 5 because my dad plays and he took me with him. However I didn't start enjoying golf until my freshmen year of high school when my dad made me sign up for the schools golf team. I'm glad he did now though because I play almost 4 or 5 times a week.

In my Walter Hogan Signature Bag

Driver:W-Series Hibore XL
Fairway:Speed LD
Irons:S9 LadiesWedges:S9 LadiesPutter:White Hot XG 2-BallâGolf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening - and it...

• 2 years later...
i Started in may/June of 2009 my handicap is 12.2 and i love the game........

my 12.2 is due to playing an easy 100 rounds and about 30 lessons, and went threw 3 instructors till i felt comfortable

i'm just curious about different peoples seriousness and how they progressed in this sport

In My Bag:
Driver: TaylorMade R11 10.5 UST Shaft
3 woods:R11   - 3 & 4 Hybrids: FTi-Z
5i-pw: Diablo Edge SW, GW & LW: CG16  

Putter: Scotty C  -  GPS: Bushnell  -  Balls: PRO-V1

I've been playing golf since age 9.

My unnoffical handicap is about 10, I [almost] always shoot between 75 and 85.

I take golf very seriously and play about 2 or 3 times a week. I love the game, it is fun, challenging, and addictive. What more could you want in a sport?
Driver: taylormade.gif R9 Superdeep TP 8.5* - Aldila RIP 70x | 3-Wood: taylormade.gif R9 TP 15* - Diamana Blueboard 83x | Hybrid: taylormade.gif Rescue TP 19* - Motore F3 95x | Irons: taylormade.gif RAC TP MB 3-PW - Dynamic Gold x100 | Wedges: taylormade.gif TP xFT 54.12* and 60.10* - Dynamic Gold s400 | Putter:  ping.gif Karsten Anser - 33"

Went for the first time when I was 13-14, played nonstop at age 15, played a little when I was 16, just a few rounds. Then from age 17 to 37 played a total of about 10 rounds. I started playing regular last summer and played as much as could this year. I spend way too much time here, looking at golf stuff and watching the golf channel. I don't feel anything about the sport......I live and breathe it.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 4926 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!