IGNORED

300 yards - fact or fiction: Post your experience

Fat Slice
Note: This thread is 5007 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. My driving AVERAGE with a DRIVER when hitting ALL OUT.

• I am a 20+ handicap and average 300 or better
    • I am a 20+ handicap and average under 300
    • I am a 15-20 handicap and average 300 or better
    • I am a 15-20 handicap and average under 300
    • I am a 10-15 handicap and average 300 or better
    • I am a 10-15 handicap and average under 300
    • I am a 0-10 handicap and average 300 or better
    • I am a 0-10 handicap and average under 300
    • I am a + handicap and average 300 or better
    • I am a + handicap and average under 300

My longest measured drive this year was 281. My average is more like 230-235. That is improving however since I got my new Callaway Diablo Edge. I'm hitting straighter too. I have hit many drives over 300 yards through the years, usually with the help of a tailwind. The longest one I've ever measured (I've only had a GPS for 1½ years) was 324 yards.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's my understanding that this average is made from a tee shot not on a par 3. This stat would include tee shots with woods and long irons. How many times does a PGA tour pro actually tee off with his driver? I'm sure the actual DRIVER average of most pros would be close to if not over 300 yards.

The PGA tour now records the average distance of all measured drives. Contrary to popular belief, it's actually shorter than driving distance. The holes used to measure driving distance are generally very wide open holes with where players tend to try to hit it long, like on wide open par 5s. The top driving distance on the PGA tour, for all measured drives, is 298 yards, which was achieved by an average clubhead speed of 121 mph.

http://www.pgatour.com/r/stats/info/?317

Just under a 10 handicap and tee off with a three metal 80% of the time and average 230 with that. When I do hit driver I maybe get an extra 20 yards with a 60% chance of putting the thing OB...so I opt for the 3 wood and the fairway...

Driver: R5 XL with Fujikira Stiff Shaft
3Wood: T60 Ignite
Irons: 735 CM with S300 Shafts
56 Degree: Carnoustie Black
60 Degree: Carnoustie BlackPutter: 34" Mini T White IceBall: : WhateverShoes: Icon Snake SkinGolf is the only sport where they encourage drug use and its not illegal,...

The PGA tour now records the average distance of all measured drives. Contrary to popular belief, it's actually shorter than driving distance. The holes used to measure driving distance are generally very wide open holes with where players tend to try to hit it long, like on wide open par 5s. The top driving distance on the PGA tour, for all measured drives, is 298 yards, which was achieved by an average clubhead speed of 121 mph.

If this is a list of all drives, it would encompass every 3-iron and hybrid used for position so of course the average will be much lower. If they had a stat that measured every tee shot with a driver, and only a driver, the average for most pros would be well over 300.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

It's my understanding that this average is made from a tee shot not on a par 3. This stat would include tee shots with woods and long irons. How many times does a PGA tour pro actually tee off with his driver? I'm sure the actual DRIVER average of most pros would be close to if not over 300 yards.

The stat that says only 6 PGA TOUR players average over 300 is simple driving distance. It is measured on 2 holes per course, where players are likely to hit driver, and where the wind cancels out. So, yes, sometimes driver is not the club of choice (which is why Tiger was dead last in driving distance at Sawgrass), but they do they best they can. There is a stat called Driving Distance, All Drives, which is all holes.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

There is also a stat in there that takes into consideration distance of drives where they can measure it. IF you look at the difference between all drives (were measured) and the two holes, its only 4.8 yards. So there isn't a big discrepeny. If the two holes are meant to be the two were driver is take most often, then driver is used a decent amount of time on the tour, which makes sense since drivers are so forgivable now.

By the number of rounds, and number of drives measured, the average number of drivers hit per round is 11.3, so 11 times a round. Take out 4 par threes, your looking at 11 out of 14 holes.

Really, that means on the average of all drives your looking at 78% weighted towards driver.

I would say those two holes is a pretty good average of what the distance is on tour.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

So now, according to the poll, only 3.7% of the people in this thread avg over 300 yards. I would think that number would be higher for the amount of "I drive 300 all the time" posts in other threads lol

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

Ill hit one or two 300 yarders a every couple of rounds. Most of the time im in the 260-280 range.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

^ Well Shanks so far we have 73 golfers who are all 10 handicap or more and 0 have claimed to average 300 yards.

Driver: Nike Ignite 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F1
2H: King Cobra
4H: Nickent 4DX
5H: Adams A3
6I 7I 8I 9I PW: Mizuno mp-57Wedges: Mizuno MP T-10 50, 54, 58 Ball: random

I rarely drive the ball 300 yds. I normally carry it between 250 and 270 and depending on how the fairway is rolling that day it may make 300... but normally it my drives sit at 260-285 after the roll which if on the fairway im okay with...
...Practice Can Never Make Perfect... Practice Makes Improvement...
 bettinardi.gif
taylormade.gifadidas.gif

^ Well Shanks so far we have 73 golfers who are all 10 handicap or more and 0 have claimed to average 300 yards.

You need a new poll.

Add separate choices for feet above sea level - up to a mile. Separate each altitude range into 225-250, 250-275, 275-300. I think you'll find your answer there - when I compare my average to another player, and it's 35 yards higher, a lot of that has to do with the fact my golf course is at 2800 feet. When I played in a scramle SW of Calgary last Friday I was hitting a 1/2 club long - the course is at 3550 feet.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Yeah, over 300. Ask the same question do you average over 260 or some number like that. It will still be too high. Not that many people claim to average over 300, but even averaging 270 is extremely high for most amateurs. Most of the so called "good drives" hit at sea level are more like 240- yards. The average amateur has a clubhead speed right around 86 mph, which is enough to carry the ball 192.8 yards at sea level.

We had a member here claiming that he swung 90 mph, and averaged 280. Here's the math: At sea level: 90 mph = 130 mph ballspeed max 19° launch, 2500 spin = 215.1 max carry assuming a 1.5 (perfect) smash factor. At one mile in altitude, the same numbers give a carry distance of 228.0. How about 100 mph clubhead speed in Denver? Is it possible to average even 280? Yes. With a launch angle of 22°, and a spin rate of 2,800 rpm on a perfect strike, you can hit the ball 273.7 yards at one mile in altitude. That same carry at sea level? 246 yards. Of course, these numbers assume every shot is struck absolutely center of the club face. Suppose you were to strike the ball just 1/4" of an inch off center? Now your carry at sea level is 227 yards. So, these people with a 100 mph clubhead speed who average 280, even in Denver, cannot afford to miss the center of the clubface by even 1/4 of an inch. If they do, kiss it goodbye, you are getting 258.0 yards at best. Now, here's where this gets interesting. These numbers I've presented are absolute maximums. Here's what I've conviniently left out. To hit it 270 with that 100 mph swing in Denver, you need to use about a 10.5° driver, and hit it at 13° on the upswing. Now, I can assure you that's not the case. If we input stats from an actual driver, the numbers become a bit more realisitc... In Denver, with a 100 mph swing, and a perfect strike, with a stiff shafted 10.5° driver, the actual carry distance is: But hey, I only use actual data.

What I find even more telling is how the top 10 in length rank in accuracy. The 2 in the bottom of the top ten in distance are 19th and 20th in accuracy and they are best of the long hitters in that category. The #1 long hitter, Bubba Watson, is 153rd in accuracy, Mickelson is 6th in length, but 183rd in accuracy (and the only one who is in the top 10 for both driving and scoring).

This trend is somewhat in keeping with what I observe on the course. The guys I know who hit the ball longest, are also the wildest. I hate getting paired with most of them in a tournament because we usually end up in trouble over pace of play because we spend so much time stomping the native rough looking for ther balls. I'd much rather play with a 25 handicapper who only hits it 180 yards, but never hits it far enough to be out of the mowed grass.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Hey Shanks, whats that program you got there?

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

Of course thats carry, add in dead of summer, hard fairways, you get 30 yards of roll ;b Just joking ;b

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

shanks one thing....
You have tee height set to 0.
Wouldn't there be a difference for carry if you tee'd the ball up?

What's dynamic loft?

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

shanks one thing....

How many

yards do you tee your ball up? That has nothing to do with what you think it's for, it's for how high or low the teebox is compared to the fairway. The dynamic loft is the loft of the club at impact. The loft of the driver + shaft kick. The more shaft flex, the more kick, the more dynamic loft, and the higher it launches.

Note: This thread is 5007 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!