IGNORED

Traditional Swing teaching is over-rated

Note: This thread is 5057 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

From the lessons I took last year and so far this year, lessons can do a lot of good when you find the right match for you. I took lessons from the assistant pro last year where I spent $100 on 3 lessons learning more about what was wrong with his swing and laughing at him trying to figure it out more than actually learning anything and improving mine. So far I've taken one lesson from the head pro rather than the assistant (who left for another course) and I have the confidence that I will get something done with him, something I didn't have with Pete last year. Either way, I've basically been self taught the entirety of my golf "career", I don't quite know if its traditional swing teaching that Dan does, but he said I have a very good grasp of the fundamentals, and just need a few small tweaks here and there, something we worked on in the one lesson I've done so far. He knows I'm serious about getting better, but thanks to other financial obligations I can't afford to take more yet :P But either way, finding an instructor who you are confident with I think is just as important.

It might just me being biased as I think I want to become an instructor, but, to me at least it seems that if someone truly wants to improve, having a trained set of eyes helping you analyze and explain what needs to be done is just as important as a video camera and a remedial knowledge of the golf swing. There are just small things that you usually can't figure out for yourself (the feel isn't real stuff) that having a good instructor will help with. Personally, I want to get better because I enjoy this game a lot, and I need to get much better before I have any hope of passing the PAT. To an extent, most of the people I know who don't enjoy the game much are my friends who don't play as well as they want to, and generally have ill-fitting equipment. They won't spend the 100-200 bucks for lessons, but will spend 300 for the driver they feel is the source of their salvation. Either way, it comes down to how much a person wants to get better :/

:cobra: Fly-Z+ White
:callaway: XR 3 Wood
:adams: Idea Pro Black 21*
:callaway: XR 4 Hybrid
:callaway: Apex 5, Apex Pro 6,7 Apex MB 8,9,P
:tmade: 50° Gap Wedge
:callaway: Mack Daddy 2 54° 58°
:nike: Method 001 33"

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A good set of eyes can save you years on improvement...just my .02...

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

From the lessons I took last year and so far this year, lessons can do a lot of good when you find the right match for you. I took lessons from the assistant pro last year where I spent $100 on 3 lessons learning more about what was wrong with his swing and laughing at him trying to figure it out more than actually learning anything and improving mine. I've basically been self taught the entirety of my golf "career".

Thanks for clarifying my earlier thoughts. Too many instructers do not have the experience nor ability to teach a proper Golf swing.

A David Leadbetter DVD and a Video Camera is a much better investment. IMHO

• Administrator
Thanks for clarifying my earlier thoughts. Too many instructers do not have the experience nor ability to teach a proper Golf swing.

I'd probably agree with you. Even if one is "too many" in my book.

The thing is, it's well worth it to find someone who DOES have the experience and ability. Discouraging people from seeing a pro strikes me as rude - what, you don't want others to improve? It's the opposite advice you should give. The best advice is this: "see an instructor, but make sure he's a good one." You seem to be making a lot of assumptions and giving out a lot of advice based on your own experiences and little else (oh, and the guys who played in the 1950s, many of whom HAD coaches and instructors that you seem to have forgotten).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

People who want to play an instrument, say the piano, most people will readily admit they need to take lessons and not just one, but for a long period of time.

With golf, it's the total opposite. I notice most people will readily admit and/or not have any hesitation to say they never took a lesson. It's like most people think they have an innate ability to learn.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I actually went today and saw an old school pro who watched me hit 10 balls and nailed it with:

1. Weight was sneaking on my heels affecting balance
2. Starting of the take-away
3. Finishing the swing

I was so stuck on "impact" that I failed to see the little things that make up the swing when I video-taped myself a few weeks ago. After one thirty minute tune-up I am able to get the feel back of what I used to have (multi-year layoff). BTW, I am not a stranger to the golf swing, have worked at a club, had a brother that was an assistant pro, buddy that played a few PGA events, etc. This 30 minute deal saved me 6 months and I will probably see the guy next week for a follow-up. I am of the opinion that if you want to improve, find someone who knows the swing and let them show you the way. You don't have to become a lesson junkie but a well trained pair of eyes can save you a lot of aggravation.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

I'd probably agree with you. Even if one is "too many" in my book.

Because they didn't have instructional DVD's and digital video camera's in the 50's. Times have changed and technology has changed the world.

Lets take Sean O'Hare for example. He has in his home a complete hitting area with three cameras, (3 angles) and computer software he can use to check things like swing plane, launch angle ,etc... Does he still have a swing coach, sure, but Golf is how he makes a living. Joe average can't afford to get one lesson per week, per month, nor every other month like these Pro's do/can. DVD's and Videos are a one time spend. Sure, a good instructor and a good lesson has value, I just don't beleive you need it more than once per season at the most, especially if you have the other tools.

Joe average can't afford to get one lesson per week, per month, nor every other month like these Pro's do/can. DVD's and Videos are a one time spend.

Yet Joe Average will spend $300+ for a new driver, or $800+ for a new set of irons. (If you don't believe me, check out the Golf Equipment thread where 20 to 30 hdcps talk about buying the latest and greatest). For that kind of money, Joe Average could get a monthly lesson from a decent teaching pro for an entire golf season.

Which approach will help Joe Average more?

Because they didn't have instructional DVD's and digital video camera's in the 50's. Times have changed and technology has changed the world.

I still can't tell if you're serious, or have a dry sense of humor and are tugging everyone around....

Either way, Bravo man, funny stuff

Yet Joe Average will spend $300+ for a new driver, or $800+ for a new set of irons. Check out the Golf Equipment thread where 20 to 30 hdcps talk about buying the latest and greatest.

That's because Joe Average is stupid. Why do you think we just went thru the largest re-adjustment period in US History with this recession? I bet they were also driving Hummers.

best lesson I have ever had changed my game and it was simple. The pro said that I had a "scratch golf swing with a hacker's brain". He stressed the importance of the mental aspect of the game and made a huge difference in my game. I had studied and practiced so much that I was paralyzed by thoughts when over the ball. He got rid of those. I have steadily improved with this pro and he definitely opened my eyes to the "other" side of the game which I think many underestimate.

In the bag:
G-15 9 degree with Proforce V2
Ping Anser V-2
MP-52 3-PW, JPX-800 Pros 3-PW
52-08, 56-11 Vokeys G-15 15.5 3W G-10 5W

People who want to play an instrument, say the piano, most people will readily admit they need to take lessons and not just one, but for a long period of time.

Really? Most of the crappy local musicians never took lessons. Most of the respected pros did. I took lessons from day one, and would never have made it 5 feet without them. I have 5 different educations in music. I've rarely met a successful musician who doesn't have at least one of them.

Same deal with pro golfers, rarely will you find one who didn't get lessons, both now and then.

haha ya, i mean you could learn how to play a musical instrument very basically but if you want to get into advanced stuff and get really really good you need lessons
same goes with golf

My Clubs:
Ping I3 + blade 3-pw
9.5 09 Burner with prolaunch red
Nickent 4dx driver
Taylormade Z tp 52, 56, 60
YES Carolyne putter

I believe that everyone should develop a swing themselves. Assuming its for the most part a decently fundamental swing. Then have it slightly tweaked with a pro and work on rhythm etc. After that it's all mental and you have a natural swing.

The Sticks:
Cobra S2 9.5| Nike Sasquatch 3 Wood | Cobra Baffler Hybrid | 4i & 5i Titleist AP2 | 6i-PW Titleist ZM MB | Ping Tour Wedges |
Scotty Cameron California Monterey | ProV1x | NIKE Carry Bag |

Really? Most of the crappy local musicians never took lessons.

Let me qualify that remark. From my own experience, people who want to play classical music on an instrument.

Anyways, I agree with the previous posters who said that there aren't alot of good instructors out there. But then, you can say that for most subjects. It's hard to teach.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• Administrator
Joe average can't afford to get one lesson per week, per month, nor every other month like these Pro's do/can.

Joe Average is PLAYING GOLF. It's an expensive sport and if he can play it often enough that he wants to do more than get outside and drink some beer, he can take a lesson once a month.

But now it's the expense, and you keep going back to silly things like "Jim Furyk and Jack Nicklaus don't have swing coaches" (when they do). You've changed your tune a few times now, and I think I'm just going to tune you out from here on.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Come on...Really?? Getting a good instructor is overrated?? I will 100% admit I am lost right now with my golf swing. I was playing better 3 years ago with a torn ligment in my knee hitting it 30 yards shorter than I do now. I am for the most part self taught with a few lessons thrown in. I know I can play well and would love to invest the time and money into getting better. But I am one of the 10% right now so I don't think I can justify spending money on a video camera and a good instructor. The value of someone's eyes and option you can trust is invalueable to improving at this stupid game.

Brian

I'm stepping out on a limb here but I think that what the OP was really trying to say is that a lot of times, "instructors" want to teach you their swing or one way to swing a golf club when it doesn't fit you or your body or your style of play.

That, I agree with. A person can get just as messed up by trying to "fit a swing" rather than finding a swing that fits them. I think all golfers should have certain fundamentals that carry over to any and all swings but I also believe that each persons swing should be whats natural to them. That doesn't mean that any old swing will work...don't forget the fundamental elements of a golf swing.

My philosophy on golf "We're not doing rocket science, here."

Note: This thread is 5057 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!