IGNORED

Ball Mark Repair Thread

john granger
Note: This thread is 2387 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Pros do not do it right. They do it the lazy way. The bad way. They won't be playing there after 1, 2, or 3 more days so what do they care if they've pockmarked all the greens with their improper methods.

Haha... I get a kick out of the pros "fixing" their ball marks. It's just for show. They'll lean over and take one or two jabs at the green with a tee and that's about it.

Driver: 09 Launcher 10.5
4 Wood: 09 Launcher Steel 17
Hybrid: Baffler DWS 20 Aldila Reg
Irons: AP1 4-GW Steel
Wedges: 588 Gunmetal 56 & 60Putter: Studio Style Newport 2Ball: NXT Tour

This is one of my pet peeves. I end up playing alot of shorter, cheaper courses because of time constraints, and those places attract alot of new golfers. I frequently have to fix 7 or 8 ball marks before leaving the green! Fixing my own, if I've made one, is a forgone conclusion. It's so irresponsible to leave them unrepaired - drives me nuts. It's like my kids leaving messes around the house or something.

Titleist 907D1 10.5°
Titleist 906F4 15.5°
Titleist 906F4 18.5°
Wilson Staff Pi5 3-P
Titleist Vokey 56.14Cleveland CG12 60°Scotty Cameron Newport Two

• 2 years later...

i've been playing with the same divot tool for almost 10 years and somehow i managed to lose it last round. for the last hour i've been scouring the internet trying to find a similar one, but to no avail. it looks like a very very basic tool, but it has a pocket clip. everything i find with a clip is meant for a hat and is too thick for my pocket, or it has a ball marker attached. it looks similar to this, but with a small pocket clip.

it looks like the scotty pivot tool is going to be the closest i can get. stupid post, i know...but any help would be great.

Driver: Titleist 909 D2 9.5*
Fairway: Wood Nike Sasquatch 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 585 21*
Irons: AP2 4 - PW
Wedges: Scratch 53* 58*

Putter: Scotty Cameron California Hollywood

i've been playing with the same divot tool for almost 10 years and somehow i managed to lose it last round. for the last hour i've been scouring the internet trying to find a similar one, but to no avail. it looks like a very very basic tool, but it has a pocket clip. everything i find with a clip is meant for a hat and is too thick for my pocket, or it has a ball marker attached. it looks similar to this, but with a small pocket clip.

I wonder why that is called a 'divot tool'. After all, it is used to repair pitch-marks / ball marks and not divots. Can anybody explain?

Having gone thru the divot tool frame of mind I've found that tee's work the best for repairing ball marks, if you repair the ball mark correctly. Its amazing how many ppl seem clueless about the proper way to repair ball marks; well that is of course if the person actually repairs their or others ball mark(s) which seems to be as lost an art as raking bunkers after hitting out of them. Sorry about the short rant, but it really iritates me.

Using a tee is not good enough, a tool with thin prongs is the best. A tee is too thick and you won't be able to repair the green properly.
I've tried to find a good tool with thin and sharp prongs, but didn't find anything. What I use today is a modified Taylormade tool. It's pretty much the same, but I've grinded down the prongs, making them slender and thin. I repair a pitch mark like illustrated on the website below and smooth it out with the putter, works great.

http://lakeviewcc.com/turfcare/etiqu...ball_marks.php

As to why it's called divot tool, I'm not sure. A divot is a piece of turf, the one we should take when hitting balls. A ball coming into the green does actually create a tiny divot, but you don't repair that, you repair the pitch mark.

Pitch mark tool would be a better name imo.
  • Upvote 1

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Somewhat off topic, but about divot tools...

Didn't you used to get a divot tool when you bought a Cameron putter? Wasn't that part of the deal? Didn't the old SC headcovers come with a slot for the tool?

Nike Vapor Speed driver 12* stock regular shaft
Nike Machspeed 4W 17*, 7W 21* stock stiff shafts
Ping i10 irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, LW AWT stiff flex
Titleist SC Kombi 35"; Srixon Z Star XV tour yellow

Clicgear 3.0; Sun Mountain Four 5

I wonder why that is called a 'divot tool'. After all, it is used to repair pitch-marks / ball marks and not divots. Can anybody explain?

I call it a green repair tool.

I'm with Zeph. A tee is NOT the proper tool for the job. To do the job right a tool needs flat tines like the one in the picture OP displayed. Any tool with round or roundish tines just slips through the turf, doesn't grab it and pull it toward the middle. A tee just tears the turf and does a very poor job of repairing the damage (still better than not doing it at all).

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

. . . I've found that tee's work the best for repairing ball marks, if you repair the ball mark correctly. Its amazing how many ppl seem clueless about the proper way to repair ball marks

I agree (sort of). Although some repair tools are better, people always tend to have at least one tee with them, so why not learn to fix a ball mark with one? It's just a matter of practice - ask someone who cuts the greens how to fix a ball mark (with a tee or a specially designed pitch mark tool) and they'll be your new best friend. I didn't mean for that to sound creepy, whatever.

I've always called them "ball mark repairers". The term doesn't roll off the tongue, but it's accurate.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Having gone thru the divot tool frame of mind I've found that tee's work the best for repairing ball marks, if you repair the ball mark correctly.

Dude, I'm right there with you. Tees are perfect. Up until a year ago I had been using the same divot tool since 1995. I got it from a course I worked on in Japan. Sadly, I lost it. After countless attempts at trying to find a suitable new tool I rediscovered tees. Funny thing is, when I think back to what I used before the Japan course's tool, I used tees.

To those that don't agree on the tee, you must have seen some brutes with no touch. Ball mark repair is an art in itself. Tee, traditional tool, or custom tool, in the wrong hands, a bad repair job is a bad repair job.

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

To those that don't agree on the tee, you must have seen some brutes with no touch. Ball mark repair is an art in itself. Tee, traditional tool, or custom tool, in the wrong hands, a bad repair job is a bad repair job.

And in my opinion, the worst and most inefficient pitch mark repair tool is the Scotty Cameron Pivot tool. The one that came with my OGIO bag is fantastic.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Dude, I'm right there with you. Tees are perfect. ......

No, they aren't. It may be "perfect" for you, but not for the turf. Agronomists have long suggested that a tee creates root damage during a repair, and a study by agronomy professors at Purdue, published in "Applied Turfgrass Science" (I'll bet that journal is exciting reading!) verified these concerns. The study showed that repairs using tradition repair tools recovered to acceptable levels within 10 days after being repaired while those repaired with a golf tee and unrepaired ball marks reached acceptable levels after 21 days.

YOU may think the tee is perfect, but the damage it causes the turf is no better than no repair at all. Follow the science, people....use a proper tool and learn to use it correctly!!!!

No, they aren't. It may be "perfect" for you, but not for the turf. Agronomists have long suggested that a tee creates root damage during a repair, and a study by agronomy professors at Purdue, published in "Applied Turfgrass Science" (I'll bet that journal is exciting reading!) verified these concerns. The study showed that repairs using tradition repair tools recovered to acceptable levels within 10 days after being repaired while those repaired with a

In both circumstances, with a tee or repair tool, the green "reached acceptable levels" or recovery. One just slower then the other. "Right" or "wrong" comes from the process of repair, not the tool of repair.

With your logic, what do you suppose punching a green for aerification does to the roots?

Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

I have a few of those tools, but without a clip. They are good, but I prefer the larger tools. If you want them, they're yours.

What's in my bag:

Driver: Tour Burner 9.5
Fairway: Comp 15* Aldila NVS
Hybrids: 19* & 22*Irons: CG2 4-PWWedges: CG12 52*, 56*Putter: Studio Design Newport 1.5Ball: One BlackBag: GPS: SG3

In both circumstances, with a tee or repair tool, the green "reached acceptable levels" or recovery. One just slower then the other. "Right" or "wrong" comes from the process of repair, not the tool of repair.

Geez, which green would you rather play on, the one that eventually healed in 3 weeks or the one that was healed in less than half the time? Your argument that it is the only the process and not the tool is absolutetly incorrect. Yes, a tee isn't going to kill all the grass on the green, but the science has demonstrated that a proper tool used properly is far better than a tee used with a proper process. Why are you so ignorant as to ignore this??????

Your argument that it is the only the process and not the tool is absolutetly incorrect.

Says you. We could go back and forth on this arguement all day. I'm not going to change your attitude, you aren't going to change mine.

Why are you so ignorant as to ignore this??????

Because I konw how to properly fix a ball mark with a tee.

Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

I got one from Koviss last year at the PGA Tour Golf Show in Orlando......it's a two pronged switchblade type.

Using it correctly minimizes the damage to the roots.....

Note: This thread is 2387 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!