IGNORED

Pet Peeves

AceDunk
Note: This thread is 3938 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

You are right that it is up to the individual course to decide where the rakes belong, and I should have clarified my statement, but when it says on the handle to leave them in the bunker and people leave them out it bothers me. It's petty, but a pet peeve non the less. It's like driving on the fairway when cart path only signs are up.

Originally Posted by Merfal

I hate when people leave the rakes outside the bunkers. They belong IN the bunkers. Our rakes even say to leave them in the bunker on the handle, but people still leave them outside the bunkers.

It's just the opposite at my home course - all signs in the carts say to leave them out, yet they are always left in - definitely an issue that can cause some heated discussions on the course.

Our GM says the rule to leave them out was made since there are less chance of rules violations with the rakes outside the bunker.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 6 months later...

I hate to resurrect such an old thread but didn't want to start a new one.

I played last night and the threesome ahead of my wife and I were playing very slow. Not too big of a deal, we were taking our time and the last group out, so we were just enjoying it. It was when they were putting while laying on the green and shooting like billiards is when I started to get annoyed. A big pet peeve of mine is when there are people waiting for you to clear the green and they are writing their scores and talking about the hole. Finally get to #9, which is a par 3, they take a long time on it to begin with (which is ok) but then they start adding up the scores and sitting. I wish I was exaggerating, but it was at least 5 minutes from when they got in the cart until they left after my 3rd attempt to get them moving by yelling to them to clear the green. I wasn't rude, but be considerate of others.

Driver: Taylormade R11 Aldila NV 75

4W: Taylormade R9

3/4H: Taylormade Burner 19* 22*

5-AW: Taylormade RBZ

W: Cleveland Tour Action 588 56* 60*

Putter: Callaway White Ice 2 Ball Lined

Originally Posted by meenman

It's just the opposite at my home course - all signs in the carts say to leave them out, yet they are always left in - definitely an issue that can cause some heated discussions on the course.

Our GM says the rule to leave them out was made since there are less chance of rules violations with the rakes outside the bunker.

Wondered about this myself, as I'm new to the game. According to the USGA, each course can make its own rule but their stance is to leave it out of the bunker and parallel to the line of play.

http://www.usga.org/videohub.aspx#&&/wEXBAUQdGF4U3ViQ2F0ZWdvcnlJZAUCLTEFDXRheENhdGVnb3J5SWQFCzE3MTc5ODY5NDgyBQZpdGVtSWQFBTIzODEwBQp2aWRQYWdlTnVtBQExGQrdFt6IeKyG1Ah4/QdzhAVmNhk=

I got another one:

People who constantly think they shoot farther than they really do.

"Wow that drive must have been at least 310"

Dude, you're at the 200 marker on a 450 yard par 4.

2013 Goal:

Single digit handicap

Originally Posted by Remark37

I hate to resurrect such an old thread but didn't want to start a new one.

I played last night and the threesome ahead of my wife and I were playing very slow. Not too big of a deal, we were taking our time and the last group out, so we were just enjoying it. It was when they were putting while laying on the green and shooting like billiards is when I started to get annoyed. A big pet peeve of mine is when there are people waiting for you to clear the green and they are writing their scores and talking about the hole. Finally get to #9, which is a par 3, they take a long time on it to begin with (which is ok) but then they start adding up the scores and sitting. I wish I was exaggerating, but it was at least 5 minutes from when they got in the cart until they left after my 3rd attempt to get them moving by yelling to them to clear the green. I wasn't rude, but be considerate of others.

Yup, that is ridiculous.  Today my playing partners were doing this virtually every hole (writing down their scores at the scoring green and taking their time to do it) while people were waiting in the fairway.  I mostly put up with it because I was having a crappy round and didn't feel like getting even more worked up.  But then on 18, after I hit my approach shot to the green (the last person to do so), I walk back to them in the carts and they are comparing scores!  Adding them up in the fairway, taking about 60-90 seconds to do so if not more, while people are waiting behind us on the tee box.

I'd liked to have complained about it to somebody, but one of the two culprits was a board member!

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by bplewis24

Yup, that is ridiculous.  Today my playing partners were doing this virtually every hole (writing down their scores at the scoring green and taking their time to do it) while people were waiting in the fairway.  I mostly put up with it because I was having a crappy round and didn't feel like getting even more worked up.  But then on 18, after I hit my approach shot to the green (the last person to do so), I walk back to them in the carts and they are comparing scores!  Adding them up in the fairway, taking about 60-90 seconds to do so if not more, while people are waiting behind us on the tee box.

I'd liked to have complained about it to somebody, but one of the two culprits was a board member!

Man its 2012, get golfshot on your smartphone, case closed. Takes 10 seconds to record your score, puts, club used, penalties, sand shots, etc with your thumb...on your way to the next tee box. Best $30 I ever spent, period. GPS is limited, but easy.

when my playing partner is late meeting me at the course. ive gotten here early and been warning up and we have agreed to tee off at say 2pm well i get a call at 2:20 saying "im 15 mins away". ugh i hate waiting on people. it for some reason makes me rush which makes me do stupid stuff like shank every shot lol

Originally Posted by mtsalmela80

Man its 2012, get golfshot on your smartphone, case closed. Takes 10 seconds to record your score, puts, club used, penalties, sand shots, etc with your thumb...on your way to the next tee box. Best $30 I ever spent, period. GPS is limited, but easy.

Oh make no mistake, I keep my personal score on my smartphone.  However, this was a club tournament, so scores have to be recorded on official scorecards and turned in after the event.  But there is still a better place to record scores than greenside and in the fairway.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

I don't know that I'd call it a pet peeve, but it's interesting how many folks on the Internet cite their drive length as being 300+ (or even 280+). Yes, nearly everyone has hit a drive 300+ yards with the help of two sprinkler heads, a cart path, and a gopher, but that doesn't justify the 'I average 300 off the tee' comments. Anyone that's ever played with someone who can hit it a legit 300+ knows the special sound the ball makes coming off the clubhead. Wish I heard it when I swing. Real pet peeve: Anyone that offers ANY unsolicited advice on the course, especially when they're being outplayed. There seems to be a direct correlation between skill level and whether a fellow golfer will offer advice....the better the player, the less likely they are to give advice.

In The Bag: - Patience - Persistence - Perseverance - Platitudes

someone who picks up the flag stick before the last putt, god that's awful--our rule is last putter replaces the stick end of story. I play in a threesome so once in a while somebody joins us and of course we explain the stick rule and of course they pick it up on the first green ready to javelin it into the cup. So next green, one of us simply stands on the stick, they get the message.Oh, and people who chew scoal or sunflower seeds and spit on the greens.

Hmm....Let's say I'm first to putt. I'll often continuation putt, grab my ball, pick up the stick and lay it across my shoulders while holding the flag, then step back out of the way while everyone else finishes. I've never had anyone complain about it, and my buddies aren't shy. I've always considered it a courtesy. Maybe not...... I used to smoke. I had a guy in another group confront me on the golf course for laying a cig on the green. He said it caused brown marks. Even though I thought he was a little retentive, I stopped doing it.

In The Bag: - Patience - Persistence - Perseverance - Platitudes

One of my biggest is when the guy im playing ( friend) in a nassau thinks its ok to put out of turn for the sole purpose of putting pressure on me. The other is when the same guy starts getting down a few shots or playing bad then he starts bad mouthing the course and how the greens dont roll true....bla bla bla. He does it like clock work. Haha but when he is up a couple his mouth is constantly going , bragging and thanking me for the bogey i just had. Me, i just ler my clubs do the talking. Haha

It is estimated that we spend a third of our life waiting.

Waiting in line, waiting at stop lights, waiting for phone calls, waiting for your wife to get ready to go out, etc, etc.

But for golfers it has to be more than a third.

Type A personalities will find it tough to be on a golf course and come home happy.

• Administrator
Originally Posted by LovinItAll

Hmm....Let's say I'm first to putt. I'll often continuation putt, grab my ball, pick up the stick and lay it across my shoulders while holding the flag, then step back out of the way while everyone else finishes. I've never had anyone complain about it, and my buddies aren't shy. I've always considered it a courtesy. Maybe not......

Agreed. The first one to putt out typically replaces the flag when I play, unless they have to collect a bunch of clubs or something. I'm usually pretty organized so I'll often do it.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

waiting for a co player to get off his damned cell phone and chip up to the green where everyone is waiting.

First of all. NO ONE is that important. Second of all NO ONE is that important.

There should be a 'no cell phones in use on the course' rule.

The guy that thinks he's a PGA commentator:

He decides to say "ooooh," or "that's in!," followed by an "AWWE, so close!" every time I putt

or "NICE!!!" after my drive.

I appreciate the encouragement, but it's just causing me problems. What's worse is, it's hard to tell someone to quit encouraging you without sounding like a jerk.

Originally Posted by vo-man

waiting for a co player to get off his damned cell phone and chip up to the green where everyone is waiting.

First of all. NO ONE is that important. Second of all NO ONE is that important.

There should be a 'no cell phones in use on the course' rule.

In most cased I would agree with you, and I do not like to text or take calls on the course. But I can't afford a $150 - $300 rangefinder, so my $15.99 GolfShot GPS app on my iPhone gives me distances to within 5 yards and you can't beat that price.

Note: This thread is 3938 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!