IGNORED

I just discovered why the guy I play with hits his irons so far

Note: This thread is 5035 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I guess I should have figured this out earlier, but I had no idea just how strong his Taylor Made Burners were.

A 6 iron with 27 degrees of loft? Does anyone make one stronger than that?

I guess I should figured this out earlier, but I had no idea just how strong his Taylor Made Burners were.

nope, tmade makes those lofts pretty strong.. my 5i is 26 with my 6i being 29.

:cobra: Speed ld-f 10.5 Stiff
:snake_eyes: 3 & 5 Woods
:adams:A4 3 hybrid
:bridgestone: J33 Forged Irons 4-pw
:ping: 50th Aniv. Karsten Ansr Putter56*, 60* wedges

Wilson makes a PW (Di9) with 42.5 degrees of loft. Also Cobra makes a 43 degree PW (S2 Max).

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

That is a strong 6 iron...basically a 5. Do they launch the ball much lower than an average lofted club of the same number? Could be they lowered the loft that much to compensate for a really low CG to normalize the launch angle. They are advertised as being long, though, so I doubt that explains it all.
Callaway FT-9 Tour I-mix 9.5° Driver (Fujikura Zcom Pro 65 stiff)
Mizuno F-50 15° 3w (Exsar FS2 stiff)
Bridgestone J36 19° Hybrid (Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff)
Adams Idea Pro 23° Hybrid (Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff)
Adams Idea Pro Forged 5-pw Irons (DG Black Gold stiff)Nike SV Tour Black Satin...

Wilson makes a PW (Di9) with 42.5 degrees of loft. Also Cobra makes a 43 degree PW (S2 Max).

wow, that is strong.

:cobra: Speed ld-f 10.5 Stiff
:snake_eyes: 3 & 5 Woods
:adams:A4 3 hybrid
:bridgestone: J33 Forged Irons 4-pw
:ping: 50th Aniv. Karsten Ansr Putter56*, 60* wedges

That is a strong 6 iron...basically a 5. Do they launch the ball much lower than an average lofted club of the same number? Could be they lowered the loft that much to compensate for a really low CG to normalize the launch angle. They are advertised as being long, though, so I doubt that explains it all.

My 6 is 32 degrees. Basically his set is 1.5 clubs stronger than mine throughout, which also explains why he can't hit a 4 iron (since it's really a 2!).

Of course none of this matters a hoot, but it does get annoying on every Par 3 when he announces what club he is using in a booming voice.

I could be mistaken but aren't the Burners also a little longer (shaft length) than standard irons?

I believe most TaylorMade irons have a longer standard length (and a different lie angle, to compensate), in addition to the loft. They're really giving you a 5-iron for a 6-iron, and so on. Not that other companies aren't guilty of it, too.

Makes me hope some company comes out with a 50° PW before I order my next set, so that I may consider just having the weakest lofts and being done with it.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Of course none of this matters a hoot, but it does get annoying on every Par 3 when he announces what club he is using in a booming voice.

I got a laugh out of that. People who play Taylors and other strongly lofted clubs always feel the need to do that.

Career Bests:

9 Holes--37 @ The Fairways at Arrowhead-Front(+2)

18 Holes--80 @ Carroll Meadows Golf Course(+9)

Home Course:

1) The Fairways at Arrowhead

2) Mayfair Country Club

That might be why I had so much trouble hitting those burner irons. For one, I hate the way they look so big and bulky. Plus, I de-loft my irons like a mother (and Bubba Watson), and I have a hard time hitting those. My 8 iron now averages 162. I'd hate to see what the burner 8 iron does....

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Diablo 9º
2 Hybrid: Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood
Irons: Nike Slingshot OSS 6-3 iron
          Taylormade Tour Preferred PW-7 iron
Wedges: Cleveland CG14 50º, 54º
              Taylormade RAC 58º
Putter: Ping Darby 32" shaft

Makes me hope some company comes out with a 50° PW before I order my next set, so that I may consider just having the weakest lofts and being done with it.

Good luck with that. The closest things I've seen are the sets sold as 4-GW. Usually the 4 is 21 degrees and the GW is 50. Most of those sets are slanted toward "game improvement", though, so I doubt you'd want to go there from the MP-57's. Scratch's irons are all 48 degree PW stock. That's the weakest I've seen lately. Your best bet is probably a variation on what you've already done. Order some custom irons through the 9 with lofts a cpl degrees weak and a separate 50 degree PW.

Adams Idea Pro Forged 5-pw Irons (DG Black Gold stiff)Nike SV Tour Black Satin...

Good luck with that. The closest things I've seen are the sets sold as 4-GW. Usually the 4 is 21 degrees and the GW is 50. Most of those sets are slanted toward "game improvement", though, so I doubt you'd want to go there from the MP-57's. Scratch's irons are all 48 degree PW stock. That's the weakest I've seen lately. Your best bet is probably a variation on what you've already done. Order some custom irons through the 9 with lofts a cpl degrees weak and a separate 50 degree PW.

Yeah. I've seen Players' irons with 51 gap in the set, namely the AP2s and the recent Adams players' iron sets. It doesn't actually bother me as much as I pretend it does

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Would my friend using his VR Splits 9 iron(43*) vs my Tour Burner PW(46*) count? His PW is 47* and using his 9 iron on a par three wasn't enough and I over shot the green with my PW by 6yrds..

- VR Pro LTD - 9.5 Ahina X

- VR_S 3, 5 woods - Fubuki X

- VR Pro Combo - 3-Pw S300's
nike.gif - VR VRev Wedges - 52, 58 

- Method 001 - 34in.

- 20XI-S

- 20XI Staff Bag

Yeah. I've seen Players' irons with 51 gap in the set, namely the AP2s and the recent Adams players' iron sets. It doesn't actually bother me as much as I pretend it does

yea they make a gap wedge in the ap2's which is like 51 degrees or 52 that you can have put in your custom set.

More goes into it than just loft. Maybe you just made better contact with your PW? The Tour Burners seem a bit more forgiving than the Nike Split Cavities...maybe your shafts just fit you better, etc.

Player's irons nowadays are about 1 club stronger than traditional lofts, and most of the GI sets (MX-200, AP1s, G15) are about a club and a half stronger. It makes sense to a certain degree because the CoG has gotten lower and lower and clubs with equivalent lofts to traditional irons would fly too high. But I don't get the 43* and 42.5* PW stuff, or the 26* 6 iron! That's actually 2 clubs stronger than what iron lofts were for most of the 20th century. My Titleist Tour Model Forged 4 iron is 26*. I guess TaylorMade knows their customer base.

My Nickent 3DX Hybrid irons are the same way. In fact, they strengthened the lofts so much that they added in a 10 between the 9 and PW. I'm still getting used to the "extra" distance I'm getting--10-15 yards a hole. The other day, I pulled out the 10 for an approach and hit it 15 yards past the green into heavy rough.

In the Ogio Blade Light bag:

Driver: TM R7 Draw HT
Fairway Wood: Maxfli C3 3W 15*
Hybrids: Nickent 4DX IW 17* 2H, 3DX IW DC 20* 3H | Callaway FT 26* draw 5H Irons: Titleist 704.CB 7-PW Wedges: 52, 56, 58 Putter: Ping Karsten Craz-E Ball: Callaway Warbird

Note: This thread is 5035 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!