IGNORED

Qualified for a tournament. Bad father? Wife guilt trip

chriskzoo
Note: This thread is 5056 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

And people wonder why I got my wife into golf. Some ridiculed me for doing so. Before, she didn't understand why I loved the game so much. Now, she asks when we can go again.

My girlfriend and I seem to have a relationship modeled similar to yours. It's why I'm ring shopping right now. She's not scared to tell me "I need you there" and when it's not important I'm not scared to tell her "I dont wanna do xxx" either way we try to bring some understanding into it. There's plenty times I DONT get why I need to do something but.. Happy wife, happy life. So I do it and 99.9999% of the time she was right. I've yet to find the .00001% where im right.

Pick your battles I guess.

"My greatest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my golf clubs for what I told her I paid for them."
What's in my SQ Tour Carry bag?:
Driver: R7 Quad 9.5*
3, 5 Wood: G5 clones
Irons: : AP1 (4-PW) Wedges: 52*, 56*, 62* Spin Milled Putter: White Hot 2 Ball BladeBalls: Shoes: My...

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think she compares it to "He would rather do X, than spend time with the family." .

I ••••ing hate when a wife/GF does this. It is a huge turnoff and makes me even want to play more than I already do (47 rounds so far this year)

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

People are different, so it's not unusual for one set of rules or agreements to work for one couple, yet doesn't work for the other. Outline what each "sides" want and negotiate a suitable compromise.

That being said, IME, the REAL reason you're getting grief is not because it's your children. Rather, it's her. She wants YOU to go with HER to watch the children. She wants to share that experience with you. She's just projecting her wants/needs onto the children. Not that I'm any expert, but spend some time with just your wife without the kids. Maybe every coulple of weeks, get someone to sit with the kids and take her out somewhere. It doesn't have to be fancy or expensive. This gives her an opportunity to talk to you about her feelings and emotions. One caveat though, don't correct her on anything she says. She's not looking to be corrected or educated. The whole point is to share, not be "enlightened".

If you show her that she matters to you, then who knows. Not only is there a chance you'll be playing more golf, you could get laid more too =).

:titleist: :scotty_cameron:
915D3 / 712 AP2 / SC Mont 1.5

Just on a side night, if you want to spice up your night, tell you wife "There is a thread on the Sandtrap I think you should read."
Driver R7 Superquad NV 55 shaft or Bridgestone J33 460 NV 75 shaft
3 and 5 Wood X
Hybrid original Fli Hi 21* or FT 22*
Irons AP2
Wedges Vokey 52* - 8 , 56* 14, 60*-7Putter California CoranodoBall TP RedGPS NeoRange Finder- Bushnell Tour V2 When Chuck Norris puts spin on the ball, the ball does not...

The guy you need to hear from is the guy who knows how to keep his wife happy.

You won't find this guy on the golf course. hahaha. JK. I juggle both. My single friends play 100 holes a week and 2-4range nights a week and shoot low 70's. I shoot high 90's but i'm not as lonely as they are.

"My greatest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my golf clubs for what I told her I paid for them."
What's in my SQ Tour Carry bag?:
Driver: R7 Quad 9.5*
3, 5 Wood: G5 clones
Irons: : AP1 (4-PW) Wedges: 52*, 56*, 62* Spin Milled Putter: White Hot 2 Ball BladeBalls: Shoes: My...

Dude, forget all this crappy marital advice - you need to get some junior clubs for those kids ASAP.

That's what I'm talkin' about!!!

My daughter's first club (7 iron). She doesn't really know how to hit it....but she's only 20 months now....got a boy on the way! Attachment 2379
In My Datrek Bag:

Driver: R9-460 9.5°
Woods: Burner 15°
Hybrids: Burner 3,4,5Irons: G10 Gap - 5 ironWedges: cg15: chrome, 56° 60°Putter: Studio Newport 2GPS Unit: Push Cart: 2.0

I am a Pastor and offer marriage counseling, pm me to discuss rates and scheduling

No offense to you personally but unless you are degreed & certified by the state with a license, I've seen & experienced those in the clergy that try to counsel make things worse. One example is the pastor I trusted for 35 years. I pray you're not one of them.

"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred." Woody Allen
My regular pasture.

Why is it that some women try to lay out the ol guilt trip when we are doing things we enjoy. My X use to do that. I did say X!

Driver.... Nickent DX Evolver V2 65 stiff /07 Burner YS6+ stiff .
4 wood..... Nickent 4DX
Hybrids.....Tour Edge Geomax 22* 25* 28*
Irons.....TM R7 6-P + AW,SW,LW
Putter.....Odyssey White Hot XG 2 BallBag.......Callaway ORG 14 A.L.I.C.E. Ball........Bridgestone e6 / Srixon Soft Feel...

I've been down the road of having a wife that resented me playing lots of golf. And it wasn't totally unfounded. When I first got into playing "serious" golf I spent a lot of weekends gone for considerable time. When I was playing in tournaments, if I had a 9:00 tee time, in her mind, I should be home by 2:00. Round should take 4 to 4 and half hours to play, then come straight home. Well, the rounds would take 5 to 5 and a half and by the time I got home she'd be pissed. You see, we had four children. So over time I got some perspective and didn't play quite as much. I had to pick and choose the most important ones I wanted to play in. And she would be a little more understanding. But missing the first day of school? Never had that one to deal with. But if this is super important to you, you should play. There are 13 first days of school in your child's life as well as other "Firsts" that if you prioritize correctly, you won't have to miss. Did you see your child's first steps? Many dads miss that while they are working. I think she's making too much of this. But that's just my opinion. The advice I have for you is in the future, as the kids get older, get them into golf. Then she will be ASKING you to spend more time at the golf course with the kids. My wife now kicks me out the door to take my youngest to play (he's now 17 and a 4 handicap). I wouldn't probably play as much as I do now if it weren't for my son. Go kids!!

I am a Pastor and offer marriage counseling, pm me to discuss rates and scheduling

dude, are you f'n serious? first of all, the title ''pastor'' doesn't give you any authority to be counseling couples, and doesn't automatically gain you respect. secondly, this is a peer sight, so we don't solicit others for money unless we're selling equipment,etc., in which case both parties have something tangible to offer.

edit- not my business

R9 9.5*
MP630 3 Wood
MP630 CLK Hybrid 17*
MP-32 3-pw Rifle Project X 6.0
56*10 satin & 60*10 oil can Method #1

Sure I remember my first day of school, I woke up got dressed, felt excited to go to school got on the bus, went through the drill, and about 4 years later started to think just like every other kid that school sucked. But yes Moms enjoy that sort of stuff, mine still has a picture of like my first visit to Santa or something, and holds onto it like it's the last golf ball on Earth.

In my Walter Hagen T3 stand bag

Driver- Walter Hagen T3 10.5   3-Wood- Walter Hagen T3   Hybrids- Walter Hagen T3 3i-5i   Irons- Walter Hagen T3 6-PW   Wedge- Walter Hagen T3 56*  Putter- Walter Hagen T3   Ball-   RAW Distance Straight

look, i love playing golf as much as the next guy but sometimes it is A) too much, or B) taken too seriously. and i think one has to look at either A or B if it starts interfering with relationships.

Im single here so i guess dont understand women telling you what to do and so on. After you're married and have kids is not the time to decide to stop letting your wife tell you what to do and when to do it. This sounds very familiar to a friend i have, he has 3 young kids and the only time he ever gets to play is when he goes with me maybe 3-4 times a month, he cant even go alone. Ive known both of them for a long time but it seems she really resents anything he does, she makes being gone 4 hours sound like being gone 4 days. I live quite some distance from him, i always come and play near him even though i know he would like to play some courses near me. I think sometimes she resents the fact that he has any friends, I almost feel unwelcome at times. We're usually lucky to get to play 9 and then have to rush back. Unless you're playing more than 2 times a week, i dont think thats too much for anyone if you keep it local and arent gone all day. If i were in relationship, i would at the very start tell her that i like to play golf quite a bit and if shes not ok with that then Id find someone else. I would of course make time to spend with her but during the day id like to do my own thing. I know for many its ok until the kids come along, does change things. But you cant expect someone to completely abandon a hobby because of kids or anything else, or resent them for doing something fun. If doing something you like in moderation is not ok by your significant other, then you dont have a very strong relationship. You're not cheating, you're not doing anything immoral or illegal, and as long as its not a money issue you're just having fun enjoying life. If your sig other cant handle that, how would they ever handle any adversity in the relationship.

In my bag
Driver-top flite cannon 460 cc 10.5 deg, reg flex
3 Wood-ACUITY GOLF RCX 14°
3h-warrior golf tcp 20°
4h-warrior golf tcp 23°5h-warrior golf tcp 26° 6-pw-AFFINITY / ORLIMAR HT2 SERIES irons steel shafts regular flex56° sw-tour seriesram puttergolf balls-intech beta ti

Im single here so i guess dont understand women telling you what to do and so on. After you're married and have kids is not the time to decide to stop letting your wife tell you what to do and when to do it. This sounds very familiar to a friend i have, he has 3 young kids and the only time he ever gets to play is when he goes with me maybe 3-4 times a month, he cant even go alone. Ive known both of them for a long time but it seems she really resents anything he does, she makes being gone 4 hours sound like being gone 4 days. I live quite some distance from him, i always come and play near him even though i know he would like to play some courses near me. I think sometimes she resents the fact that he has any friends, I almost feel unwelcome at times. We're usually lucky to get to play 9 and then have to rush back. Unless you're playing more than 2 times a week, i dont think thats too much for anyone if you keep it local and arent gone all day. If i were in relationship, i would at the very start tell her that i like to play golf quite a bit and if shes not ok with that then Id find someone else. I would of course make time to spend with her but during the day id like to do my own thing. I know for many its ok until the kids come along, does change things. But you cant expect someone to completely abandon a hobby because of kids or anything else, or resent them for doing something fun. If doing something you like in moderation is not ok by your significant other, then you dont have a very strong relationship. You're not cheating, you're not doing anything immoral or illegal, and as long as its not a money issue you're just having fun enjoying life. If your sig other cant handle that, how would they ever handle any adversity in the relationship.

You were right about one thing. You don't understand. The Op's wife isn't asking him to give up golf. The OP could have avoided the whole situation if he would have checked when the final was. It has been on the GAM website all season long. When he was setting this up it isn't that hard to say, "if I make the final it would be on this day, do we have anything going on then?"

Is his wife really being THAT harsh? I mean if the guy plays with you 3-4 times a month, that means he's playing once a week, which really isn't too bad... I think it's kind of normal for couples (bf/gf, husband/wife, dad/mom/kids, etc) to be spending time together. Playing golf once a week isn't like she's riding him for playing once a month... I think it's a decent amount and more than many dads/husbands get to get out there. I think that some of us on this site just have a different view on things due to being so obsessed with the sport. Playing any sport (skiing, soccer, hockey, golf, etc) once a week is a pretty good amount, when it comes to 2-3 times a week, it's normal not too be too thrilled about it when you're the other person. Relationships are about compromises. Why don't some of you try and get your wives/gfs/significant others to play golf with you instead? As a poster above said, once his kid started playing, all of a sudden it's something you do together. I started snowbaording and golfing with my gf and it's an awesome time we can spend together doing something and being outside on the weekends. No?

dude, are you f'n serious? first of all, the title ''pastor'' doesn't give you any authority to be counseling couples, and doesn't automatically gain you respect. secondly, this is a peer sight, so we don't solicit others for money unless we're selling equipment,etc., in which case both parties have something tangible to offer.

Amen Brother Senorchipotle, I am 100% behind you on this one, you just made my day with a good laugh....lol

Dang Pastor!! the guy was only telling us he just hated that kind of BS wives try to lay on you about golf, he not looking for a marriage counseling. The worst part about your statement is when you say “pm me to discuss rates” what kind of pastor are you charging to help others out because where I come from pastors dont charge for helping families out.

Sticks-In-The-Bag

R9 Driver 9.5
R9 3 & 5 Fairway
Rescues 3 & 4 Hybrids Burner 4-PW Irons Tp 52, 56, 60 Wedges Rossa Putter

Note: This thread is 5056 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!