IGNORED

I wore long pants today in 95 degree heat

Comeback
Note: This thread is 5177 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Why can't a nice pair of khacki shorts be classy? How about a nice pair of Dri-Fit shorts?

I wear nice shorts as well. I think they look nice and respectable but they are not classy in my opinion. They are what we would call golf attire around here. If you wearing nice shorts and a polo around here everyone assumes you either are going to or coming from a golf course.

In my Sasquatch stand bag
Driver: G5 10.5*
Fairway wood: R9 4 wood
Irons: R7 3-PW OR Firesole 3-PW
Wedges: VR 52-10 56-14 & 260-4Putter: TraceyShoe: Powerband 3.0

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wear nice shorts as well. I think they look nice and respectable but they are not classy in my opinion. They are what we would call golf attire around here. If you wearing nice shorts and a polo around here everyone assumes you either are going to or coming from a golf course.

Well, now we're comparing what we wear on a golf course to play golf and what we would deem "classy" off the course.

This is getting confusing......... And I can relate to what people think you're doing ( or were doing) when wearing "golf attire". I'll walk into a local pub after a saturday night round in my golf attire and many times someone I know asks me how I shot without even asking if I was golfing.

TM R11/Titleist 910F 15*/ Nike SQ2 20* & 23*/ Nike CCi 5-PW/ Nike SV 52* & 56*/ SC Newport 2 Studio Style 32.5"
Nike 20XIx/Pro V1x

Well, now we're comparing what we wear on a golf course to play golf and what we would deem "classy" off the course.

Well to me these clothes are not necessarily classy, they are just appropriate. They are per the dress code which unfortunately is not enforced enough I think.

Well to me these clothes are not necessarily classy, they are just appropriate. They are per the dress code which unfortunately is not enforced enough I think.

This is what i was talking about, there right up there above me. He just said he wears shorts then bitches about the dress code not being enforced. The ridiculousness of that statement is appalling. No i don't think shorts look good nor do I think they are inappropriate, however they do not fit in with any dress code ever designed. You can't even wear them to work. The fact people know you went golfing without asking lends itself to how ridiculous you look trying to pull of a "dressy" look with shorts on. Get it now? If you are going to allow shorts then by my estimates you have to allow other forms of casual clothing such as collarless shirts. I have some that are polo shirts without the collar yet i cant play with those on. This is my gripe. I don't wear shorts with polos because that look is ridiculous to me, and apparantly everyone who doesn't golf since you never see it done anywhere else. A fanny pack is very handy but i refuse to wear one.

Driver: Ping g15 axivcore black stiff
3 wood: Cobra s9-1 f speed
Hybrids: 20* adams speedline classic round and 24*v1 peanut
Irons: Ping I5 5-pw
Wedges : cg14 50*,54* spin milled 58*Putter: Cameron newport detour

This is what i was talking about, there right up there above me. He just said he wears shorts then bitches about the dress code not being enforced. The ridiculousness of that statement is appalling. No i don't think shorts look good nor do I think they are inappropriate, however they do not fit in with any dress code ever designed. You can't even wear them to work. The fact people know you went golfing without asking lends itself to how ridiculous you look trying to pull of a "dressy" look with shorts on. Get it now? If you are going to allow shorts then by my estimates you have to allow other forms of casual clothing such as collarless shirts. I have some that are polo shirts without the collar yet i cant play with those on. This is my gripe. I don't wear shorts with polos because that look is ridiculous to me, and apparantly everyone who doesn't golf since you never see it done anywhere else. A fanny pack is very handy but i refuse to wear one.

Wow. You know it is ok to talk directly to me. And to be clear, shorts are in the dress code of the courses I play at and are perfectly fine. I tell you what, you wear whatever you want to wear and the rest of humanity can wear what they want and we will see who is the minority. Your argument about shorts and dress codes is rather confusing. I wear shorts to the course and they are in the dress code as being acceptable. T-shirts and shirts without a collar are in the code as being not acceptable. What part of that do you not get? If I played at a course that did not allow shorts then I would not wear them. No one I know thinks I look ridiculous they just know I have been golfing. Oh and I NEVER SAID I LOOKED DRESSY WITH SHORTS ON. I said I looked like I had been playing golf which I had been. You do realize you are the only person around who has these views right? I guess the world is wrong and you are right though. Oh and a polo shirt without a collar is not a polo shirt. They are called Henleys. I thought as the fashion police you would know that.

Wow. You know it is ok to talk directly to me. And to be clear, shorts are in the dress code of the courses I play at and are perfectly fine. I tell you what, you wear whatever you want to wear and the rest of humanity can wear what they want and we will see who is the minority. Your argument about shorts and dress codes is rather confusing. I wear shorts to the course and they are in the dress code as being acceptable. T-shirts and shirts without a collar are in the code as being not acceptable. What part of that do you not get? If I played at a course that did not allow shorts then I would not wear them. No one I know thinks I look ridiculous they just know I have been golfing. Oh and I NEVER SAID I LOOKED DRESSY WITH SHORTS ON. I said I looked like I had been playing golf which I had been. You do realize you are the only person around who has these views right? I guess the world is wrong and you are right though. Oh and a polo shirt without a collar is not a polo shirt. They are called Henleys. I thought as the fashion police you would know that.

Yes i know what they are called. And once again you completely glom over the intent of my statement. I said there is a problem with the dress code not with shorts in general. I guess I am the only one who has thought about it. The fact it offends people means it must be correct or it would just be dismissed. I asked everyone to think how stupid it is to have a dress code and allow shorts. That is all. I gave my opinion on the look and that should be no reason not to wear them. I truly feel that the dress code will be a thing of the past relatively soon and that is fine by me. I hate the fact that someone is turned away for not wearing proper attire and the fact that these same people (you evidently) will do so while wearing the epitome of laid back, super casual, beach cruising attire is pathetic.

Driver: Ping g15 axivcore black stiff
3 wood: Cobra s9-1 f speed
Hybrids: 20* adams speedline classic round and 24*v1 peanut
Irons: Ping I5 5-pw
Wedges : cg14 50*,54* spin milled 58*Putter: Cameron newport detour

Yes i know what they are called. And once again you completely glom over the intent of my statement. I said there is a problem with the dress code not with shorts in general. I guess I am the only one who has thought about it. The fact it offends people means it must be correct or it would just be dismissed. I asked everyone to think how stupid it is to have a dress code and allow shorts. That is all. I gave my opinion on the look and that should be no reason not to wear them. I truly feel that the dress code will be a thing of the past relatively soon and that is fine by me. I hate the fact that someone is turned away for not wearing proper attire and the fact that these same people (you evidently) will do so while wearing the epitome of laid back, super casual, beach cruising attire is pathetic.

I don't know where you get your ideas about what is acceptable and what is not. You definately have the most skewed sense of dress of anyone I have ever spoken to. I mean my work clothes (flightsuit) has long pants but it is not appropriate on the golf course. I also would not wear my soccer shorts to the golf course because they are not appropriate. If next week the golfing community decided that shorts are no longer appropriate then I would not be wearing them anymore. Like a fellow board member mentioned earlier, should we not all be wearing knickers? They are the original golf attire and they are short pants really. And no one is offended by golf attire (except you), they just know what these clothes were made for. When the softball team walks in I know what they have been doing but I am not offended. Companys make the golf shirts and shorts the way they do because that is what the people want (except you). And there is a difference between calling people out who do not follow posted rules of the course and getting rid of said dress code all together.

Since I live at the beach let me tell you what beach cruising attire is: t-shirt or tank top, board or swim trunks, sandles or flops. Not golf clothes. Didn't you already say polos were dress shirts anyway? You are talking in circles. So maybe we should reevaluate what pathetic is.

The fact people know you went golfing without asking lends itself to how ridiculous you look trying to pull of a "dressy" look with shorts on. Get it now? .

I just wanted to respond to this part of your rant. (Everything else is a waste of time)

What do you think I look like when I have my Nike khacki/Dri Fit PANTS on w/ my collered shirts? That I just got back from church? I look (and feel) just as much like a golfer w/ either pants on or w/ shorts on. (Even though I prefer pants) And, like I said, I know I look good for any golf course while wearing either. No matter what guys like you say/think.

TM R11/Titleist 910F 15*/ Nike SQ2 20* & 23*/ Nike CCi 5-PW/ Nike SV 52* & 56*/ SC Newport 2 Studio Style 32.5"
Nike 20XIx/Pro V1x

Dress code <> a business suit or classy or whatever other term you like

A dress code is "a set of rules specifying the correct manner of dress while on the premises of the institution (or specifying what manner of dress is prohibited)". A dress code is set by said institution. There is no universal dress code.

Dress code <> a business suit or classy or whatever other term you like

But again, and this question was posed to Weezy.

I would LOVE to see a link to a golf course that says they don't allow ANY kind of shorts.

Nike 20XIx/Pro V1x

You guys are just feeding the troll.

In the blue Colts bag:

Driver - FT-5 10°
Hybrids - 4DX 15.5°, 20°
Irons/Wedges - CI-7 4-GW, SW | "Free" Warrior 60° LWPutter - TiffanyBalls - various

You guys are just feeding the troll.

You are right.

so i guess the question still remains, are there any courses that dont allow shorts of any kind?

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I much prefer to wear pants. Call my crazy, but I find them more comfortable. I did it in Florida and I do it in Colorado.

I only wear shorts if all my pants are dirty.

I personally, don't think there is anything wrong with either.

In my bag:
Driver: R5 TP Diamana 83s Shaft
Fairway: Burner 15 degree Fujikura REAX
Hybrid: Custom 19 degree
Irons: DCI 990 S300 4-PW

Wedges: NF 52.04*, Spin Milled 56.10* and 60.08*

Putter: Red X3

Ball: ProV1

Shoe: Tour 360 LTD

• Administrator
I much prefer to wear pants. Call my crazy, but I find them more comfortable. I did it in Florida and I do it in Colorado.

Ditto, for the most part. As I said before a good pair of pants is every bit as cool - perhaps even cooler - than shorts. Your legs stay in the shade (don't need the sunscreen, or at least don't need as much) and yet still get a breeze.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

That looks like he just parachuted in with those xxxxxxl clothes on.

Blah, blah, blah! All of your posts amount to the same thing: "I'm right, everyone else is wrong and people who don't think like I do are pathetic or ridiculous" What's ridiculous is you buddy. The fact is that shorts are part of the acceptable dress code on probably 98% of the courses in the country. If you don't like looking at them then just shut up & stay home.
my get up and go musta got up and went..

I have a more on topic question...If long pants "keep you cooler" due to shading your legs, moisture wicking, etc. then where is the argument for long sleeve shirts? Should they keep you cooler too if they are climacool or one of those breathable materials? I guess I do not get the whole keeping you cooler thing unless you are in an area with very low humidity. I will for the sake of comparison try playing a round in some breathable pants and report back later (if this thread hasn't been locked due to trolling haha)

Ditto, for the most part. As I said before a good pair of pants is every bit as cool - perhaps even cooler - than shorts. Your legs stay in the shade (don't need the sunscreen, or at least don't need as much) and yet still get a breeze.

Since some of you seem to believe it, I guess it depends on the individual. I live in Colorado, where at midday in July it can be 98° with <25% relative humidity. But I die when I wear any sort of long pants, even with the low humidity. When I'm working as an on course official with the CGA, I have to wear khaki slacks, and I don't even have to walk any distance or swing a club, but I suffer from it. I had the same issue when I worked as a hole marshal at The International on the PGA Tour... also required long pants for long days in early August.

I will NEVER wear slacks in the summer if I don't have to for some reason. That includes going to a casual restaurant... even meeting with my investment counselor. I am simply far more comfortable when wearing shorts, and I figure that after more than 60 years I've earned the right to be comfortable. Right now as I sit here I'm wearing shorts. Just got back from playing golf at Teton Reserve in Idaho, and I wore shorts. Before that, 2 days and 3 rounds at The Old Works (Jack Nicklaus design) in Anaconda, Montana.... also in shorts... didn't see another golfer on either course in long pants, even though the temps never got above 85 in either place. Shorts are appropriate in the right setting, and a golf course in hot weather happens to be one of those right settings.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Note: This thread is 5177 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!