IGNORED

Still think the golf ball is important?

Note: This thread is 3933 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I shot a 82 (par 69) yesterday with a 1-piece srixon range ball in a competition (the organizors said I could play with it). I had never played the course before either.

You are just one observation. Statistically, it's meaningless.

My Clubs
Driver - Nike SUMO 13* R flex
Wood - Cobra 5 wood 18* R flex
3-PW hybrids/irons - Mizuno MX-950 R flex
Wedge - Mizuno MX-950 51* Wedge - Cleveland CG14 56* 14*Putter - RifeBall - Taylormade TP LDP RED

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This has to be the 5th or 6th thread I have seen James post in, stating his lack of concern when it comes to golf ball selection. Aside from my questions regarding the veracity and statistical significance of this event, I think the answer is already known. Like all other pieces of golf equipment its a matter of what best fits personnel preferences. Golf ball selection is no different. If the type of ball you play meant so little, then the market would not be able to support the large selection of golf balls we all currently enjoy.
Perhaps if you stuck with one ball, your game would improve in areas such as distance control and then you would see the benefits. But if you have made up your mind that you don't care, no amount of posting will change your equipment views.

Driver: Cobra S2 10.5
Fairway: S9-1 3 Wood 15.5
Hybrids: Baffler DWS 3R
Irons: 4-9 Cobra FP
Wedges: 49 588, 54 & 60 CG14s Putter: White Hot XG #9Ball: Srixon AD333

The ball is the only thing you use on ever shot (though for me I use several on some holes :) ) The right ball for you is important, I like to use the same ball all the time so it behaves the same way. In addition, I love the tour balls cause they behave great around the green, in saying that, I could probably get used to using cheaper midspin balls that might be better for my game, but its my money and this gives me something else to spend it on :) Besides that hetting suckback is always the highlight of my round :)

But to answer the question I think its important and I think you should select the best one fro you from the green backwards!

Like all other pieces of golf equipment its a matter of what best fits personnel preferences. Golf ball selection is no different.

Agreed, but what qualifies the OP as a contender for one of the stupidest of all time is the title "Still think the golf ball is important?" As if to say -"Amazing as it may seem, I broke 90 on a par 69 course with a Srixon range ball." Readers are supposed to say "You must be joking! I don't believe it! At last we have proof that all balls are the same." My beef with the post is not so much that the OP thinks that premium balls may be a waste of money for some, but the fact that at his level of play, he is surprised that a perfectly good ball allowed him to score well. Then comes the howler that you could perhaps use different balls for different 9s, compare the scores and have some kind of evidence regarding a ball's worth. Ridiculous.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Do we overstate the importance of the golf ball to a degree that mid and high cappers feel compelled to play expensive balls that offer no real benefit for their game , and in many instances are actually detrimental? Yes.

Is picking the right ball for your individual game still important and potentially very beneficial? Yes.

Do the higher-end golf balls tend to offer more in the way of actual and tangible performance/score benefits the deeper the golfer moves into single digits and the closer they get to scratch? Yes.

Can I shoot relatively close to my normal score with any type of ball? Yeah-probably.

Would I rather choose my ball based on my specific requirements and weaknesses/strengths of my game? Yes.

It just shows you don't need a premium ball to shoot a good score.

I was out of my supply of the Pro V1 last week, went to our local shop, they were out of stock and I bought 3 V1x balls instead. My bad ..... totally different ball, making a "pienggg" when putting, longer from the tee, less spin and less greenside spin, was just like playing a cheapo 2 piece rock. Played one and a half round with these, my worst scores in many rounds, yesterday at hole 7 I shanked the last one OB and took a DT Solo and played 6 pars in a row.......

I am not saying that cheap balls are better, but there are a lot of cheaper balls that will be better than a premium tour ball for the average handicapper. Most mid and even low midcappers don't have the touch needed to get pitches and chips so close to the pin that they will profit from the backspin balls like the Pro V1....... they might be better off with a ball that bumps on forward to the hole..... Also it is "my" belief that most midcapper still hit to many shots with some swing-errors, which get multiplied by the more sidespin getting high-end golfballs than they would get with, let's say a medium priced ball. Still I personally like the Pro V1 on days I am hitting the ball well, but I also like the DT Solo or Srixon AD333 very much. I second that it is best to always stick to the very same balls (no matter which ones) and getting used to them, getting consistent with your distances, getting consistent with your putts, etc.

Cal Razr Hawk 10.5 | TM Superfast 3W | Adams Idea Pro Black 20 | MP-68 3-PW | TW9 50/06 + 58/12 | Ram Zebra Putter

I was out of my supply of the Pro V1 last week, went to our local shop, they were out of stock and I bought 3 V1x balls instead. My bad ..... totally different ball, making a "pienggg" when putting, longer from the tee, less spin and less greenside spin, was just like playing a cheapo 2 piece rock. Played one and a half round with these, my worst scores in many rounds, yesterday at hole 7 I shanked the last one OB and took a DT Solo and played 6 pars in a row.......

While I agree many cheaper balls are better for a lot (probably most) golfers, I still have a hard time believing what you say about the ProV1x.

I mean, I understand you're trying to make a point here, but to get to the point of basically lying (because I think you probably are) about a very good golf ball is reckless on your part. I mean, we're both similar in HCP but I just can't relate at all to what you're saying about the ProV1x. I think it's a great ball. I can't hardly believe you compared it to a cheap two piece rock.

TM R11/Titleist 910F 15*/ Nike SQ2 20* & 23*/ Nike CCi 5-PW/ Nike SV 52* & 56*/ SC Newport 2 Studio Style 32.5"
Nike 20XIx/Pro V1x

Never said the V1x isn't a great ball, it is just no great ball for me !

The V1x is a totally different ball than the V1 ....... I play the V1 for the about last 6 months, and I am not a weekend duffer, but I play about 6 days a week. I allways thought the V1x was a slightly harder ball version of the V1, but well actually it is not. It is longer and provides a lot less spin. The V1 in putting makes almost no sound, and provides a lot of soft feel, while the v1X sounds like a Pinnacle Gold "pienggg" and has no soft feel at all and it was very hard to controll putting distances with.

Maybe you should try the differences yourself ...... before calling me a lyer !

Cal Razr Hawk 10.5 | TM Superfast 3W | Adams Idea Pro Black 20 | MP-68 3-PW | TW9 50/06 + 58/12 | Ram Zebra Putter

Maybe you should try the differences yourself ...... before calling me a lyer !

You don't think I have?

The ProV1x basically IS a slightly harder, less spinny version of the ProV. Kind of like how the Nike One Tour D is a slightly harder, less spinny version of the One Tour. But, we're still talking urethane covered, premium golf balls here. They ALL putt great. They ALL react around the greens great. Sure, the ProV1 will spin and bite a bit more around the greens, but the difference isn't THAT great. Or atleast not as much as you're leading folks to believe. It's a fair statement to say the ball isn't for you. I obviously have no place to say what's good for you or not, but to say it putts and behaves like a rock is flat out nonsense.

TM R11/Titleist 910F 15*/ Nike SQ2 20* & 23*/ Nike CCi 5-PW/ Nike SV 52* & 56*/ SC Newport 2 Studio Style 32.5"
Nike 20XIx/Pro V1x

Never said the V1x isn't a great ball, it is just no great ball for me !

There isn't a lot less spin on the v1x. It is slightly less spin. Like less than 100 rpm off of a wedge. Hardly noticeable at a .01% decrease in spin.

You are just one observation. Statistically, it's meaningless.

My thinking exactly. One round doesn't mean anything.

Maybe play 10-15 rounds and get an average, then 10-15 with a regular ball and see what the results are. Although I doubt you (the OP) are a consistent enough player to give accurate results. If you don't care about the ball you play, have fun with the range balls! The rest of us will use a real ball.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

People clearly find the worth in these discussions or enjoy discussing side points or repeating well known points to aid their understanding. However I would say that Golf Balls do make a difference and that that subject really isn't up for dispute.

Let's not forget that testing has shown that they go different lengths, spin at different rates etc.

The difference in ball properties does not change the sport of golf. It is still golf. It might change how much your ball spins off the tee, how far your shots go, how they are shaped or how quickly they stop on the green.

Personally you can get away with a lot of things in golf but when it comes to landing a ball on a six pence with little roll out then suddenly you need a specific ball.

--- sorry for stealing your title James ---

I sort of agree with many things being said in the original thread, but let's be honest .....

I figure that the quality of a golf ball has very little to do with the quality of the golfer self.

20 cappers are not going to be a 10 cappers, because changing to a premium ball and 10 cappers will not suddenly play like a 20 capper, because they have to play with a $1 ball.

Of course a low/mid capper will benefit on some holes from a ball taking a lot of backspin, but it will not be much ...... of course it is nice if a ball drops close to the flag, hops and sits, but on most occasions a midcapper will play 10 - 15 yds short of the intended target (because of a dozen of things) and would be very glad seeing the ball roling 10 yds to the hole after landing.

I play lot's of rounds with medium quality balls like the Srixon AD333 and Titleist DT Solo ..... if you like to work the ball .... forget it .... they go "about" straight, but in putting they all have a soft feel/sound and these balls also are pretty good around the greens, I guess it is is the same with the Gamer V2 from what I've read about these balls.

Resume ..... if you are not close to zero ..... I doubt whether playing a high end premium ball will bring much profit !

Why the new thread? Couldn't you have posted this in the original?
My Implements of Destruction (carried in a Hoofer Lite bag):

DRIVER: Big Bertha Diablo 10 degree draw, Aldila regular flex
FAIRWAY WOODS: G2 14 degree 3 wood & 17 degree 5 wood
IRONS: S59 3-PWWEDGES: M/B 54, 58, & 60 degree PUTTER: I Series Anser 4 (or G5i Anser, Anser 2F, or original...

I thought range balls give you extra spin so you're even less accurate. Isn't that the whole idea? They spin too much so they will climb higher and go shorter, while also exaggerating ball flight?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

While I agree many cheaper balls are better for a lot (probably most) golfers, I still have a hard time believing what you say about the ProV1x.

No I'm sure it was the sound off the putter face that caused him to shank that ball OB - LOL - what a load of cr**!! The DT Solo and Srixon AD333 are better balls than the NXT Tour in what universe?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

On Range balls: some spin more than others. A nearby driving range has two kinds:
* Two-stripers: Distance balls which cost $5 for a small bucket.
* Three-stripers: Mid-spin balls which cost $6 for a small bucket.

Hand-sorting the two- and three-stripers got to be a hassle, and they might drop back to one kind.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

this is like one exagerated comment after another...

DST Tour 9.5 Diamana Whiteboard
909F3 15* 3 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
909F3 18* 5 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
'09 X-Forged 3-PW Project-X 6.0 Flighted
CG15 56* X-Tour 60* Abaco

Note: This thread is 3933 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!