IGNORED

Hybrid vs. 5 iron

Note: This thread is 3329 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

A few years ago I moved from a 3 iron to a 3 hybrid, and more recently a 4 iron to a 4 hybrid. I still struggle with hitting a crisp 5 iron consistently, and am considering switching to a 5 hybrid.

Wondering if anyone else has made the switch, and if so, what they've found the pro's and con's to be. Currently playing to an 11.1.

Thanks,

-TJ

I think that maybe learning how to hit your long irons may be more important to your game then just giving up on it. Hybrids are nice, but most, not all, that have most of their irons replaced with hybrids have a much higher handicap than you.

Longer irons show the weaknesses in your swing, so your total swing will benefit from keeping some long irons. Just my opinion.

OHIO

In my Revolver Bag
R9 460, RIP
R9 TP 3 Wood, Diamana 'ilima 70*Idea Pro Black 20*Titleist AP1 712 4-AW Spin Milled Black Nickel 56.08 & 60.10

I made the switch about a year ago. Zero regrets, esp as my iron ball flight isn't very high. Yes, it would be nice if my swing were better and i could rip a 2-iron, but i don't have the time/energy for all the lessons & practice required to do so. I'd rather pull out my trusted hybrid. Makes the game more enjoyable, and my scores a little better.

Driver: Cleveland Classic 270, 10.5*
Fairway Woods: Adams Speedline LP (3 & 5)
Hybrids: Wilson Staff Fybrids 21*, 24*, UST V2 stiff
Irons: Callaway X-20 Tour, 5-PW, Rifle Project-X (flighted) 6.0
Wedges: Cleveland CG15 DSG 52* & 58* +/- 56* Niblick

Putter: Yes! Amy

Might check out the distance difference between 5i and 6i. If a good 5i carries noticeably longer, you might want to work on the 5i a little more. If a good 5i and good 6i go about the same length, you might make the switch to hybrid.

If lower clubhead speed is an issue, consider having the 5i reshafted for more flexibility.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Play what you like. Hybrid or no hybrid, it still takes a good swing to play golf, and a hybrid is just another golf club. You're talking to someone who carries a 2 iron, who's been told a hundred times about how this club is impossible to hit, yet for some reason, has no problem hitting it. There are tour pros who play hybrid 5s, and even 6s.

Hit what you like and what will help your game. As stated, pros are looking at 5h. You hear the same argument why people play blades, but again, a major trend is pros moving to cavity back irons because they like the forgiveness.

Driver: i15 8* UST Axivcore Red 69S
3w: CB1 15* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum 75s
5w: G10 18.5* UST V2 HL
3h: HiFli CLK 20* UST V2 Hybrid
4h: 3DX 23* UST V2 Hybrid5i-pw: MX-23 TT Dynalite Gold S300GW/SW: RAC 52*and 56*Putter: SabertoothBag: KingPin

My handicap is similar to yours and I made the switch to a 5 hybrid and the 5 iron is sitting in my closet with my 4 iron. The 5 hybrid is MUCH more forgiving for me. Every once in a while I'll pull the 5 iron out of the closet and take it to the range to compare it against the 5 hybrid. The 5 iron always ends up back in the closet.

PROS: Easier to hit off tight lies, rough, and off a tee.
Very forgiving
Higher ball flight (some might consider this a con)

CONS: Not as accurate as a well struck iron
Snide comments from buddies

I'm sure the hybrid hides my swing flaws to a certain degree and I lack the swingspeed to hit long irons well ( I hit my 6 iron 155yds). I wish I could smoke a 3 iron but it just isn't going to happen.

Don't worry what others are playing...shoot I have a 12 degree driver and LOVE it!
  • Upvote 1

Cleveland Classic XL 10.5 Rombax 6X07
Titleist 904F Aldila NV
Nickent 3DX hybrid

MX-25 irons & MP-R wedges

Odyssey #5

Leopold GX1/Skycaddie SG5

Sun Mountain Hybrid Bag

PROS: Easier to hit off tight lies, rough, and off a tee.

That sounds like the iron.

Got troubles hitting your 5-iron? Bring your 4-iron to the range.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I have found that all I need is my driver, 3 wood, and an 18* and 21* hybrid..usually a 3 and 4.. dont ditch the 5 iron just yet..hit the range and get it down

A few years ago I moved from a 3 iron to a 3 hybrid, and more recently a 4 iron to a 4 hybrid. I still struggle with hitting a crisp 5 iron consistently, and am considering switching to a 5 hybrid.

Get whatever club you can hit best and gives you confidence.

I have a 4h and 5h and I like them. Although, I don't find them as direct iron replacements for distance. For example, my 4h is a 3 iron replacment and my 5h is a 4 iron replacement. I don't find myself hitting the 5h too much though. Actually, I don't hit my 5 iron too much either. I practice with it, but it's usually my 4h or 6 iron on the course. Weird.

Hybrids rule. Go get some!

i am taking the plunge, i am a 6.2 and as recently as 4 years ago was a 2. I now have 2 kids (only time for 1 round of golf a week, no time for even a bucket during the week) and i have probably hit a total of 5 good 5 irons in the last 5 years, i originally bought a 3 and 4 hybrid (bought the 4 because i knew i would probably want it some day) - I love these clubs, so, last weekend my buddy and were lamenting that our 4 hybrids were too much club for our layups on a par 5 and decided i was being stupid not to try the hyrbrid 5, it does feel like giving up and i personally think that i am just swinging too hard with my 5 iron and that is why i am hitting off shots but i am really excited for my newest bitch club, but i was also quick to move to the Claw putting grip, take ego out of your golf. I know that most touring pros now carry a 3 hybrid, these guys have hit golf balls every day for decades and i am going to feel bad because i am thinking about going to a 5 hyrbrid? BTW - I am 40 now, when i was in my late 20's - 2 irons off the tee all the time, never thought about it. Crazy game.

I carry a 3 & 4 hybrid. . .I already have my 5 hybrid, I just haven't bagged it yet. My 5i used to be my best club in the bag when I was younger. So, honestly, I'd really to get back to striping it to 200 yards. But I really struggle nowadays.

As far as my opinion, who cares what we say. Do what's best for your game.

There's no doubt that the hybrid will probably be easier to hit than the iron in many 'normal' circumstances (fairway, light rough, etc.).

That said, there are still times when I find my 19 degree hybrid to be unreliable and would rather hit an iron, namely any lie where you have to dig (heavy rough, ball sitting down, divots, hardpan), fluffy lies (ball sitting on top of the rough), or fairway bunkers.

The only other con would be a potential hit to your ego, but I'm sure that you'd get over it really quick when your scores drop.

I wouldn't give up on the five iron just yet - if you can hit a 6 you shouldn't have much of a problem with a 5. That said, if you do make the switch, then you just might have to accept the fact that you won't have quite the right club for certain circumstances.

Play what you like and what you can hit best....Hybrid or no hybrid. I like 4i better than hybrid, but 3iron is good in driving range, but not on course under pressure. I've been struggling with hybrid until I found Callaway X-hybrid (2008) in steel shaft that gives me same swing sensation with the rest of irons, and I can hit well.

Don't worry who carries what...just find out what works best for you consistently.

Driver: Big Bertha 460, (9° Steel) | Wood: X Fairway 3W (15° Steel) | Hybrid: X 3H (21° Steel) |
Irons: 4-PW, MP-52 (TT DG S300) | Wedges: X-Forged Chrome 52°/13, 56°/15, 60°/10 (TT DG S300) |
Putter: Ping Karsten Anser

I still don't understand much of the USA handicap system, we have NONE 11.1 cappers that cannot handle a proper 3 iron.

Soon you'll have 9 hybrids, a chipper, a sandwedge, a putter and a driver

Cal Razr Hawk 10.5 | TM Superfast 3W | Adams Idea Pro Black 20 | MP-68 3-PW | TW9 50/06 + 58/12 | Ram Zebra Putter

I just saw a small article in the August 2010 Golf Digest about Y.E. Yang, he just put a third hybrid in his bag to replace his 5 iron, he says he hits it 195 yards, but overall he is more comfortable with it, and says " I'm done with the longer irons: I'll never hit a 3 iron again."

So the way I see it, if he is a pro and is using hybrids, why shouldn't we use them if it improves our game, why struggle with a long iron when you don't have to, it doesn't mean you are any less of a golfer.

In my Stand bag...
K15 9.5* Driver
K15 16* 3 Wood
Steelhead III 5 Wood
AP1 4-G Irons G15 20* and 23* Hybrid iWedge 56* 1/2 CRAZ-E Putter

Note: This thread is 3329 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!