IGNORED

Comments? Discussion? Qualifying for a Nationwide tournament by 2011.

tsdnorton
Note: This thread is 5011 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

And...even if you broke 75 100% of the time you playrd, tere'd still be 5000 players within 50 miles of you who would thrash you every time.

What if he lives in Montana? lol

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

sorry to say but im with everyone else on this one. at your posted handicap, you would've had a hard time playing for my local high school team! Never underestimate the level at which college or even high school kids play at. Nationwide tour? forget about it.

DST Tour 9.5 Diamana Whiteboard
909F3 15* 3 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
909F3 18* 5 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
'09 X-Forged 3-PW Project-X 6.0 Flighted
CG15 56* X-Tour 60* Abaco

I'm going to partially agree with the majority here. The chances, while not zero, are essentially indistinguishable from zero.

Now go out and give it everything you've got anyway. Be realistic, don't let it hurt if you don't make it, but the probability of any pro being as good as they are is basically zero. Lightning does strike.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

He's a 7.8 handicap and has played a few times with Bob May. I do wonder if I am losing my mind sometimes when the replies are 'he's never played with a tour player obviously' or 'he must cheat'. Am I missing something?

What's with all the negativity?

Just imagine if the OP started a thread last year that went like this;
"Just started golf in my early 20s. Currently shooting in the 100s. I'll be playing twice a week or so, but not during the winter because it's too wet and cold. I wont be having any lessons.... what are my chances of getting my handicap down to 7 in a year?"

You guys would post the same belittling and negative responses as in this thread;
"You'll never do it."
"You'll need to spend 3 years playing golf, all day, everyday, to do it..."
"Have you ever actually played with a 7 handicap?"
"I'm a 6 handicap and it took me ten years to reach it!"
etc.
And yet the OP's done just that.

Here's a thought - get off your high horses, celebrate the OP's achievements thus far, and encourage him to get out there and go for it.

To the OP - don't let the rest of these guys drag you down to their level.
If you want it bad enough, if you can dedicate all your free time to it, and if you can make serious sacrifices in other parts of your life to do it, then yes, you can qualify for a tournament. It wont be easy, and it may take a while to get there- but you can do it.

rant over ;)

Putter - TaylorMade Rossa Corza Ghost
Wedges - Titleist Vokey Oil Can; 50/08, 54/14, 58/04
Irons - Mizuno MP53 4-PW
Hybrid - Mizuno MP CLK 3 iron
Rangefinder - Bushnell Tour V2Ball - Pro V1s / Srixon Z Star Yellow

I don't want to be a Debbie Downer, but basically zero chance of qualifying. Even with instruction, you're going to quickly find out that going from something like a 15 or 20 handicap to where you are now is much easier than going from where you are now down to around scratch. I can't remember who said it but the quote went something like "it's easier to from a 10 to a 2 than it is to go from a 2 to a zero."

couldnt have said it better myself

been there done that, still doing that to the OP: not to get on the "burst your bubble train" but it will never happen ou have seen some low index's on here try to be helpfull and its just that u are no where near good enough and wont be in one year if you: 1. quit your job 2. had an endless bank account 3. spent 8+ hours on the course and in the gym 4. hired butch or hank you still wouldnt be there in one year..or even five sorry bro...set your sights a little closer, like a local tourney and WIN it......by 10

you have no idea what your talking about

getting to a 10 from a 20 is a cake walk 10 to 7 is easy anything below that 5 is VERY FRIGGEN HARD to do...and getting below a 2 is even harder trust me I KNOW
"My swing is homemade - but I have perfect flaws!" - Me

Read the book... "Paper Tiger", by Tom Coyne . It's a very informative read written by a journalist that took 18 months off in a quest to play 'on tour'. He was under a 10 hdcp in college and when he turned 30 was a 14 hdcp. He played golf EVERYDAY, ALL DAY basically for 12 months straight. He had a swing coach, mental coach and peer support (ie - understanding girlfriend). I will not tell you how it ends, because it's a good book. ANYONE who has ever thought about playing on either a mini-tour or 'the tour' will benefit greatly from this book.

In my :nike:  bag on my :clicgear: cart ...

Driver: :ping: G10 9*    3-Wood: :cleveland: Launcher
Hybrid: :adams: 20* Hybrid      Irons: :ping: i5 4-GW - silver dot, +1/2"
Wedges: :cleveland: 56* (bent to 54*) and 60* CG10     Putter: :ping: Craz-e (original blue)

you have no idea what your talking about

You can't tell someone they don't know what they're talking about, and then follow it up with that that little chestnut.

Unless you're being ironic. In which case, it was very funny.

Putter - TaylorMade Rossa Corza Ghost
Wedges - Titleist Vokey Oil Can; 50/08, 54/14, 58/04
Irons - Mizuno MP53 4-PW
Hybrid - Mizuno MP CLK 3 iron
Rangefinder - Bushnell Tour V2Ball - Pro V1s / Srixon Z Star Yellow

If you want it bad enough, if you can dedicate all your free time to it, and if you can make serious sacrifices in other parts of your life to do it, then yes, you can qualify for a tournament. It wont be easy, and it may take a while to get there- but you can do it.

What a load of platitudinous claptrap. "If you want it bad enough" Indeed. Everyone these days is "passionate" about being a singer, famous, a professional athlete.

That in itself is ridiculous but when that sort of misplaced ambition is encouraged by the "you can do anything you want if you really want to do it" BS brigade makes it even more idiotic. Where does this stupid optimism come from? There is no evidence to support it. Imagine if we all REALLY wanted to be rich and famous. HeY!! We can do it. Gawd! No amount of time or money will make a good player good enough to make a living at the game in the majority of cases. In case you haven't noticed, on the planet, there are a few hundred golfers who make an acceptable living by playing for money. Someone comes along who might break 80 once in a blue moon on an easy course and he thinks he can play with the pros. And you encourage this! Hey - I've been playing piano for 6 months. I'm doing pretty well, I think. Do you think I could play Carnegie Hall next year. What an effing joke.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

You can't tell someone they don't know what they're talking about, and then follow it up with that that little chestnut.

i miss typed..my bad (its now edited)

u still have no idea what your talking about

OP, to round it to the nearest whole number you have 0% chance, but I am rounding...

To make it you need to shave another 10 strokes off your handicap and come in at +3. I have played with many club pros (many who play scratch to -3) and had a buddy that played on the Tour (+5) and can tell you that while your dream is admirable, it is not based in any reality.

You have done a great job so far, keep working hard and chase your dreams.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

You are confusing reality with negativity. The OP asked for comments about his chances of qualifying for arguably the 2nd highest level of golf competition IN THE WORLD in one year! It seems to me that he got honest responses from many people who might actually know what they are talking about, as they came from folks who are much closer to the playing level the OP seeks, yet they honestly realize the vast gap to be crossed in order to play at the Nationwide level.

If the OP had asked what his chances were to qualify for a state open tournament, or perhaps the chances of winning his club championship, maybe the responses would have been a bit more encouraging. But the REALITY is that there are hundreds, if not thousands, of golfers who have the same dream as him, are currently playing with a + handicap, or are currently playing professionally on smaller tours, such as Hooters, Canadian, Golden West, etc. who cannot qualify for a Nationwide tournament. Here's a thought: Where is Ben, our resident mini-tour player? He could probably shed even more light on the subject, from a player's perspective.

The sad thing about this post is, I'm 25 and maybe if I was as good as I am now when I was 7 years of age I'd have a shot. Time is not on our side!

Dont worry, we can still make it on the seniors tour - Scratch is good enough - problem is, Tiger is playing there back then paying for his dozens of future children and his divorces, so it will get automatically thougher....

Burner 9°
FW Burner 15°
Burner Rescue 19°
MP67 4-PW
CG10 50° CG12 DSG 54° & 60°

You are confusing reality with negativity. The OP asked for comments about his chances of qualifying for arguably the 2nd highest level of golf competition IN THE WORLD in one year! It seems to me that he got honest responses from many people who might actually know what they are talking about, as they came from folks who are much closer to the playing level the OP seeks, yet they honestly realize the vast gap to be crossed in order to play at the Nationwide level.

yes......here is a link to his post in

tour play read it (all 48 pages bro) and see what it takes coming from an aspiring mini tour player trying to make it

Dont worry, we can still make it on the seniors tour - Scratch is good enough - problem is, Tiger is playing there back then paying for his dozens of future children and his divorces, so it will get automatically thougher....

Scratch isn't even close to sniffing the senior tour...

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Dont worry, we can still make it on the seniors tour - Scratch is good enough -

I know that you are joking, but again, this is nonsense. We have had quite a few people on this board who think they can hang out until they're 50 and make it on the Champions Tour. Check out the scores, the money list and see if you still believe it.

What pisses me off is that I have never seen a thread where someone who is improving wants to talk about maybe doing well in their B grade Club Championship. Thay all talk about the Nationwide Tour, as if they're being modest and realistic by accepting that a step below the most talent filled tour on the world is a sensible option.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Note: This thread is 5011 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!