IGNORED

Who here uses blades?

Note: This thread is 4876 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

i play the MP-60 and i LOVE them, if i were going to buy a new set of irons i would buy the same irons!

Just wondering on everybody's definition of "blades." I've always used the term "blades" and "muscle backs" interchangeably and would not have considered the MP 60s and clubs like it blades but rather slight cavity backs... Am I wrong?

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny how everyone who answered yes is either Titleist or Mizuno.

I play the Taylormade RAC TP MB Smoke's...so I can be the odd man out :P But if I had the choice of another set, it would probably be Mizuno or the VR TW Forged blades (tried them at a demo day last year and loved everything but the price :P)

Sandtrap Review: http://thesandtrap.com/clubs/taylorm...p_irons_review

:cobra: Fly-Z+ White
:callaway: XR 3 Wood
:adams: Idea Pro Black 21*
:callaway: XR 4 Hybrid
:callaway: Apex 5, Apex Pro 6,7 Apex MB 8,9,P
:tmade: 50° Gap Wedge
:callaway: Mack Daddy 2 54° 58°
:nike: Method 001 33"

I really, really, really want my next set to be blades. But, neck, arm and hand problems make any "stingers" a serious problem so most likely another set of game improvement irons is in my future. Maybe a set of Diablo forged, or something like that. Mizuno MP-57s or Callaway X forged might be the most aggressive I can be with my clubs in trying to get a blade.

At time it gets me down. Then I realize most of the pros don't use full blades and it makes me feel better. IF we are honest, most of us shouldn't be using blades based on our games. However, everyone has the right to use what they want, and I would NEVER presume to tell someone what they should, or shouldn't play.

It is probably good for me, and my doctor that I've sworn off ever using blades. Still, I get that twinge whenever I head to Golf Galaxy and the pro there isn't helping.

For those of you using them, all I can say is I am jealous!

In my Callaway Warbird X stand bag:

Callaway FT-5 , regular flex
3 Wood, TaylorMade Burner 2007, regular Flex
Hybrid, Warrior Golf 19 degreeHybrid, Callaway X 3H 21 degreeIrons - Callaway X-18 4-PWSW Cleveland CG 12 60 degree, AW Cleveland CG 12 54 degree Putter - Odyssey White Hot #2Ball -...

I'm a lefty, I use the Titleist 731 PM's

A combination cavity back/blade set that I love.

The 3-4-5 are cavity backs and the 6 and below are blade/muscleback combos.

A nice set. I've used everything from Cleveland TA3 gunmetal irons to Callaway X-18's when I stopped playing regularily.

I love the Titleists.

would the irons in ping's s line be considered blades? I'm pretty sure they are. not positivethough

Burner Superfast 9.5, Matrix S-Flex
Big Bertha 3 Wood (Old) : R Flex : 15.5 Degree
Idea Pro Gold Tour Prototype : Javelin FX R Flex : 20 Degree
804.OS 3-PW, Pro 970 R Flex
CG 14 : 52 Degrees : Project X Wedge Flex Forged X Tour : 56 Degrees : Rusted Sedona Putter Pro V1 Ball

would the irons in ping's s line be considered blades? I'm pretty sure they are. not positivethough

I'd still call them cavity backs, but of the entire Ping line they are the most like a blade.

Ogio Nexos Black on Black

Taylormade TP R9 Superdeep, 9.5, Aldila RIP A70X

Bridgestone J38 15, Motore F1 75S

Mizuno Masters Tournament Blades

Mizuno MP-T10 60.08

Ping Anser 2i

Some of their irons have been fairly bladelike, but when people think blades they're typically referring to a muscleback or an iron without perimeter weighting. Ironically their "blades" series was not even remotely a blade in my opinion.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I'd still call them cavity backs, but of the entire Ping line they are the most like a blade.

The simple answer would be no..... but some Ping fanboi's would love to tell you other wise :P

Driver: 909D3 8.5* Diamana White Board X
3 Wood: MP 630 15* GRAFALLOY PROLAUNCH RED X
Hybrid: 909H 19* "Real" VooDoo X
3 - P: MP-68 KBS Tour Black Nickel X
56* 10 Wedge Vr60* 06 Wedge: VrPutter: Custom Made.Golf Ball: TOUR B330SI am the greatest, I said that even before I knew I was....

There are a lot of threads here about blades vs cavity backs, which blades are most forgiving, etc. Just wondering how many people here actually play blades?

As you can see by my signature I play a forged cavity back but I have a set of Wilson FG51's that I will play with for several rounds a year. I really enjoy playing them, you have to be on your game. The only problem is they are "old scholl" lofts, 50 degree PW, 46 degree 9I, 42 degree 8I and so on. I have never really taken the time to get distance for each club, so that makes playing with them a little difficult. However, nothing is better for pitching and chipping then a true forged wedge/9 iron.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

Just wondering on everybody's definition of "blades." I've always used the term "blades" and "muscle backs" interchangeably and would not have considered the MP 60s and clubs like it blades but rather slight cavity backs... Am I wrong?

I agree. Some people call my ZB's blades, but they are far from it!

edit......I guess you could possibly call the ZB 8-pw a blade??

I used to. After about half a year of looking like an ass on the course, I've changed.

Come to think about it, I have yet to see any player doing very well or take full advantages of blade irons, other than a few pros on TV. I rarely shape my shots and I still miss the sweet spot once in a while, so I don't need blades.

ANY cavity at all, or any more alterations to the back of the clubhead larger than the Titleist Z cut into whatever those are called (ZM??) equals - NOT a blade. I did not even know Ping made an investment cast, perimeter weighted, no ferrule monstrosity with the words "Ping Blade" on it. That's damn funny.........

:macgregor: V Foil 8.5*    :tmade: Mid Rescue 16*  -- :wilsonstaff: RM  2 thru Wedge -- :vokey: 56/10  -- :scotty_cameron: Studio Design 2  & a  :srixon: Z Star 

I practice with some old sam snead blades at the range or for practice rounds.

I wouldn't play in a competition with them though.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

Just moved from cavity to Callaway X Forged, they are not true blades due to some nice weighting but still look fantastic behind the ball and the feel when you hit them is so much nicer than cavities.

Speedline 10 with Harrison Saga
X Tour fairways 3 & 5 Fujikura tour platform 26.3
X Forged 3-PW Project X 6.0 rifles
X Forged 56-14 and 60-10 wedges
2 ball blade Tour is balls

• 3 weeks later...
I just bought a set of Titleist 695 MB. I've played 27 holes and hit a small bucket. I don't know if it's a 'honeymoon' phase but I feel like I have made some great shots. I REALLY like these things. Today I hit a 3 iron off the tee - playing thru a group - and I outddrove all four of them, dead center of the FW.

driver: FT-i tlcg 9.5˚ (Matrix Ozik XCONN Stiff)
4 wood: G10 (ProLaunch Red FW stiff)
3 -PW: :Titleist: 695 mb (Rifle flighted 6.0)
wedges:, 52˚, 56˚, 60˚
putter: Studio Select Newport 1.5

I play Titleist 755 which aren't blades but I have a 6-9 iron in the MP 67 that I practice with and the pured shots are so much softer with the Mizunos. The Mizunos are also alot easier to work as well, though I am very inconsistent in that area and tend to only do it at the range. Anyways once I get my handicap down below 10 I'll be looking at the MP 68 or the blades that replace them when they come out next fall. (MP69's?)

In my Nexos

Driver R9 10.5*matrix ozik xcon 6
3wood dunlop Reaction 15*
hybrid Rescue 09 19* Aldila Re*ax 65 S Irons 755 3-PW project X flighted 5.5 Wedges MP T-10 52* 07 DG S300 WG 706 56* 12* bounce DG Wedge flex1018...

I play Titleist 755 which aren't blades but I have a 6-9 iron in the MP 67 that I practice with and the pured shots are so much softer with the Mizunos. The Mizunos are also alot easier to work as well, though I am very inconsistent in that area and tend to only do it at the range. Anyways once I get my handicap down below 10 I'll be looking at the MP 68 or the blades that replace them when they come out next fall. (MP69's?)

That's the MP we've all been waiting for.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I have played with mp33 for 5 years now, 5 - PW is in my bag. I love the feel, look, feedback and have played my best rounds of golf with these irons. -3 & par

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

Note: This thread is 4876 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!