IGNORED

No 3's in your bag unless you're good?

Note: This thread is 5008 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Who cares what it's stamped....

You should carry a fairway wood. Period. For about a dozen different reasons. Some guys might carry a 'strong 3' or 2 wood with 13.5 degrees, some guys might carry a conventional 15 degree 3 wood, others might have a 16 or 17 degree fairway wood as their lowest-lofted club other than their driver.

I think Golf (In)Digest(ion) said something about this in their (Dumbass) Hot List article (piece of sh*t) this year (unfortunately). Maybe that's the origin of this sage wisdom you speak of.

Current Gear Setup: Driver: TM R9 460, 9.5, Stiff - 3W: TM R9, 15, stiff - Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Black, 18, stiff - Irons: Callaway X Forged 09, 3-PW, PX 5.5 - SW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 54.14 - LW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 60.12 - Putter: PING Redwood Anser, 33in.

I love my 15* 3 wood; great for long approach shots; or when thick rough is miraculously holding my ball up a bit and I don't trust hitting an iron there. My set started with a 3 iron as well; didn't use it for a long time; but this year I've been hitting it pretty decently as my 205 club.

I suck at golf, and I carried a 3 wood forever, until I bought a 4 wood, and liked it more. I've never been able to hit a 3 iron, and carry a 7 wood to cover those distances. I carry a 4 hybrid also. I don't care if my bag says "good golfer", it's all about what I hit well and can score with, and I don't carry clubs I can't hit just so that people think I have a better player's bag. That's retarded. Carry what you can hit.

Who cares what it's stamped....

Gotta help sell those hybrids and high lofted fairway woods to keep that advertising revenue flowing in.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Figured as much. Thought I was crazy to have a 3 wood in my bag.

Peeking out of my Ascent stand bag

Hyper X 10*
3, 5, 7 X Fairway Woods
MP-57 4-PW MP-T10 56*-10 White Hot #1

There is no reason for a high handicapper not to carry a 3 wood.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

• Administrator
There is no reason for a high handicapper not to carry a 3 wood.

I'd agree. Good off the tee if nothing else.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I carried both a 2 and 3 iron until I bought hybrids in July. I'd much rather hit a 2 iron on a long par 3 than a 5 wood.

My equipment:

Driver - Callaway FT3 Fusion (9 degree)
3 Wood - Orlimar Tri-Metal (9 degree)
Hybrids - Bobby Jones (17, 21 & 25 degree)

Irons - KZG XCB 5 - PW

Wedges - Warrior (52 & 56 degree)

Putter - STX Envision

Ball of choice - Callaway TOUR i(s)

I was told that only good golfers carry anything with a 3 in their bag. I.E. 3 wood, 3 iron? What's that about?

Don't know who told you that, but it's silly. You should carry what works for you, regardless of skill level. I've carried a 3W most of my golfing life... even when it was hard to hit from the fairway, it still made certain tee shots easier.

I quit carrying a 3I when it quit being useful to me. Easy decision. And at one time I carried and used a 2I. Now my longest iron is a 5I. I carry 2 hybrids to fill the gap between that and my 3W. Don't believe everything you're told... in this game you need to figure things out for yourself.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Well this horse sure is beat. Sounds like you should carry whatever makes you play better. No rag / mag should convince you otherwise.

I don't like that advice too much... If for no other reason, carry a 3w as a back up to the driver. Also, while i don't use a 3 iron (or 4 iron for that matter) I do carry (and use fairly regularly) my 3 and 4 hybrid. I know there are some that don't like the hybrids, but personally I love them.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

I use a 18 degree hybrid instead of a three wood. 3 wood went 240 sometimes...hybrid goes 235 every time from every lie. I still carry and use a 3 iron a good deal. I also sometimes use a 2 iron on shorter courses with tight par 4s.

In my L8...
Driver: Launcher 460 9.5
Fairway Wood: 18 degree hybrid
Irons: G5 3-GW
Wedges: m/b 50, 56Putter: Anser 2Ball: D2 Feel

i think a lot of great players, pro's included, have replaced theri 3 iron with a 3 hybrid or 4 hybrid, but again, its personal preference for most.

At the USPGA tour 65% of the player still carry and use a 3 iron..... but there are lots of hybrids and 5 woods instead of 2 irons.

Many of the single hc amateurs use 3 irons aswell, at least all the single hc and most of the 10-15 hc players at our course, still use the 3 iron.

Cal Razr Hawk 10.5 | TM Superfast 3W | Adams Idea Pro Black 20 | MP-68 3-PW | TW9 50/06 + 58/12 | Ram Zebra Putter

No 3s in my bag at all. No 3 wood, no 3 iron. Plenty of 3s on the scorecard today though!

driver: FT-i tlcg 9.5˚ (Matrix Ozik XCONN Stiff)
4 wood: G10 (ProLaunch Red FW stiff)
3 -PW: :Titleist: 695 mb (Rifle flighted 6.0)
wedges:, 52˚, 56˚, 60˚
putter: Studio Select Newport 1.5

I was told that only good golfers carry anything with a 3 in their bag. I.E. 3 wood, 3 iron? What's that about?

The only people that say that are the ones that cannot hit something with '3' on it.

I carry a 3wd & no driver. I hit it in the 265 neighborhood off the tee a few times last round out. I'm not a good golfer. I have my moments, but as shown last round my short game has gone very south. Apparently when you stop practicing that happens. Wierd. I don't carry a 3i though. There's no sense in deluding myself. Plus i don't own one. I have a 1 iron that makes it out every so often. I like to give it to my buddies at the range before we go out. It really gets in their heads.

I love both my 3 wood and 3 iron. I used a 3 wood off the tee exclusively in high school. I no longer do that, and I've hit a bit of a rough patch in my relationship with mine lately, but I can fix that up, no problem. I LOVE my 3 iron. I used to have a set with a 3 hybrid and, oddly enough, couldn't hit the thing consistently to save my life, but I'm very consistent with my iron.

Note: This thread is 5008 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!