IGNORED

50-60 degree wedges all go the same distance

Note: This thread is 4987 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Haha, I know they are not supposed to but for some reason, anytime I hit my wedges between 50 and 60 degrees, there is absolutely NO difference. I hit my pitching wedge usually from 100-110 out depending on the day, then I have nothing from 100 down to say 60 yards where my 52,56, and 60 all come into play.

Why does this happen? Any pointers? ive started just half swinging my PW and then that de-celleration starts to creep into the rest of my shots and ruins me for the day.
Driver905R Proforce V2 Stiff 9.5*
3 Wood906f2 Proforce V2 Stiff 15*
Hybrid:CPR Stiff 18*
Irons: DCI 4-PW
Wedges: CG10 Black Pearl 52*,56*,60*Putter: Futura or Redneck BubbaBall: Pro V1

Ok, yes as you suppose the wedges are meant to go different distances dependent on their loft. You are about 15 yards less than me with the PW so I would expect you to hit a 52 about 90, 56 about 75 and the 60 about 50 yards all with a comfortable swing. Get a club maker to check the lofts on your wedges they may be out?

S83 Mid-size Tour bag
910D2 9.5º Aldila RIP Stiff C.3 setting
909F2 15.5º Diamana Stiff
909F3 18º Aldila VooDoo Stiff
909h 19º Diamana StiffAP2 4 iron  CB 710 5-PW KBS Tour stiff50º(bent to 52º) 56º54 60ºStudio select Newport 2 Pro V1

Could be a lot of things...

Never do a 'half' swing, though. You can do shorter, but every golf shot you hit (other than a putt, which is open to wider interpretation...hehe) should be hit crisply.

It might help your feel and ability to strike your wedges to think 'backwards' when it comes to distance, meaning to start with short shots (25 yards or whatever) and hit them with all your wedges and move back incrementally. This will give you a feel for how the loft differences are going to affect ballflight before you start stretching out to maximum distances with each wedge. If you can keep the alignment and tempo for the shorter shots as you stretch it out, you'll get a sense of your true capacities for each wedge. This also can help your creativity with your short shots and help you adjust to different wind and turf conditions by being able to hit multiple shots to similar distances.

You've probably got some kind of mental block that's causing you to do something weird in your swing with the wedge. The fact you mentioned a decel issue with your PW suggests as much as well.

Current Gear Setup: Driver: TM R9 460, 9.5, Stiff - 3W: TM R9, 15, stiff - Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Black, 18, stiff - Irons: Callaway X Forged 09, 3-PW, PX 5.5 - SW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 54.14 - LW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 60.12 - Putter: PING Redwood Anser, 33in.

ball posistion on all wedges the same? I can hit my 60*125 if i put the ball back and get my hands out in front. On a proper swing my 60* is an 80yd club. Your hands might be changing the loft on these clubs. Hope you can understand what im saying.

Gibson Bay Golf Course

the 60º pissed me off or years...I took the summer to study it, to practice with it, to make love to it....ya know what I learned...it's the basis of the full swing. If you can hit a 60º 20, 30, 40 yds with a good strike and a crisp sound it WILL translate to your full swing. The journey is worth it. (just don't kill anyone on the practice green)
  • Like 1

ball posistion on all wedges the same? I can hit my 60*125 if i put the ball back and get my hands out in front. On a proper swing my 60* is an 80yd club. Your hands might be changing the loft on these clubs. Hope you can understand what im saying.

This makes a lot of sense to me as the mental block mentioned could be that I am not consistently holding the club faces at the same angle. My decel issue is certainly one I dont WANT to happen it just seems to creep in as confidence leaves. Im consistently working on that in hopes of it improving my all around short game. Thanks for the advice!!!

I am considering some new wedges (not thinking this will solve the problem of course) but to spread out the difference a little bit. I feel like since the biggest gap even if I am hitting it well would be between the PW and 52, that perhaps a 50 degree would be good, then moving to a 56 then keep the 60 or possibly looking into a 62. This might help to show a more pronounced difference once Im able to work the kinks out. Any other pointers are much appreciated!!

Between Sand Trap blog, Golf Channel, and individual lessons, I've identified five basic set-up strategies people use for chips and partial wedges. And, I've seen all of them work with various golfers.

You might consider a short-game lesson. Possibly something in your set-up causes you to deloft the shorter wedges, but not the PW and 52.

Anyway, a lesson would be cheaper than buying a bunch of new wedges and hoping to get lucky.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Never do a half swing. That can worsen your tempo. Try to choke down on the grip if you're looking to hit about 5-10 yards less than what the club is supposed to bring you to.

your halfswings are no different then your full swings. you still swing with good tempo and accelerate. i use the same club from 110 and in for everything except flop shots. if you dont dont do half swings thats you but never is a bad word, try to avoid is better. most people are really comfortable with their hundred yard club and prefer to use it for all the shots

|callaway.gif X460 Tour Fujikura Tour Platform 26.3 73g | taylormade.gif 2i Rescue 11 |  3i HiBore Hybrid |  710 MB |  Wedge Works 48/06 |  cg12 52/08  | vokey.gifSpin Milled 56/11 | nike.gifSV Tour 60/10 | cameron.gif Studio Select Newport 2 34" |

rangefinder : LR550

Any other pointers are much appreciated!!

You might have a look into flipping. I remember this from my past very well. Could hit it as hard as i wanted, didnt went anywhere - contact was garbage despite being somewhere near the sweetspot. It always made such a thinnish sound. As i got better and got rid of the flipping i basically went from a full swing to a bit less then a half swing with my wedges on the same distance.

Burner 9°
FW Burner 15°
Burner Rescue 19°
MP67 4-PW
CG10 50° CG12 DSG 54° & 60°

If you miss hit both clubs they will go the same distance. put some tape on each club and see where you make contact on both clubs.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

You might have a look into flipping. I remember this from my past very well. Could hit it as hard as i wanted, didnt went anywhere - contact was garbage despite being somewhere near the sweetspot. It always made such a thinnish sound. As i got better and got rid of the flipping i basically went from a full swing to a bit less then a half swing with my wedges on the same distance.

Can you describe briefly for me what flipping is? This sounds like it could be some of the situation as taping shows im connecting with the ball in the right spot.

Note: This thread is 4987 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!