IGNORED

Ohio's Top 20 Golf Courses

Note: This thread is 3870 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

windmill lakes is a beast for a public course, also a great proshop to get golf shoes. they have the best end of the year sales for shoes..

Compared to the rest of the course, 17 at the quarry isn't the signature hole for me. 14, 15 & 18 have to be my favorite holes, especially 14 & 15, the short up hill par 4, and then the gorgeous par 5.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Can't disagree with you there, saevel, especially since I eagled 15 the last time I played it by holing out a 7-wood from 182 - I hit my drive to the corner, had 240 uphill & topped it. Then I holed it.

And I went to Kent State, so Windmill is a special place for me. In 1979 I tried out for the golf team there as a walk-on. I shot 77-78 and Herb Page told me to go home. My challenge to anyone playing Windmill is go 18 holes without a three-putt. HUGE undulating greens.

last time i played there, windmill showed me why it has wind in its name, 15-20 sustained and 30 mph gusts.. who, tough stuff

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• 2 weeks later...

I've lost all respect for Golflink.com...What a crap list.  Muirfield, Camargo, Firestone, Shaker and Scioto are the top 5.  Fowlers should be there somewhere. Nuff said.

Driver: X460 tour- 9.5*
3-wood: 3+ - 13*
Hybrid: BB HW 20*
Hybrid: 24*
Irons: X-20 Uniflex SteelWedges: Colonial 56* & 60*Putter: XG SabertoothBall: GPS-8âIf you are caught on a golf course during a storm and are afraid of lightning, hold up a 1-iron. Not even God...

Originally Posted by saevel25

windmill lakes is a beast for a public course, also a great proshop to get golf shoes. they have the best end of the year sales for shoes..

I've been there done that......waaaaay back in the day in 1996.  I still have the scorecard....LOL

001-6.jpg

I didn't play it too well and shot 86, but my golf game was very different in 1996............

I remember it as an excellent course.  Top Notch!!   I know from my golf diary/log that I played it Aug 5, 1996.  I wrote that is was 92deg and hot that day.....funny huh?  I can tell you what I shot, where I played, who I played with, and the weather conditions for every round since January of 1993.   Not to mention how many birdies and eagles...etc, etc...just the important stuff!!!!  hahahaha

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Originally Posted by VMAN

How can The Golf Club in Columbus not be on that list?

Maybe because Pete Dye and his "golf club" is no good?

How can Pete Dye possibly compete with a world famous Jack Hanna and the Columbus Zoo?  LOL

002-3.jpg

The card alone makes me want to drool

so very sad indeed!!!!!!!!!!  This is my card from 4-17-94 when I was still a beginner.  Columbus Zoo course on the list........check..a Pete Dye classic not on the list...check...the list is obviously a complete joke.  There is no way else to make sense of it.  Jut the fact that a horrible Zoo course made the list should be enough to discredit the entire list.  Airport golf course in columbus might as well be on the list.........I guess?

Sheesh......

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Just got Rolex top 1000 in world....top 5 Ohio- 1] The Golf Club 2] Inverness 3] Muirfield 4] Camargo 5] Scioto....Brookside, Canterbury, Country Club, Double Eagle, Sand Ridge, Longaberger also ranked top 1000 in world.

Longaberger is not that nice and it is extremely over-priced as well. I will gladly play Blue Heron or Little Mountain over Longaberger any day. Just my own opinion though.

• 2 weeks later...

Two good resources:

Ohio Golf Guide is a website with user reviews of every club, public and private, in the state and has top 25 rankings of the best public, private and 9 hole tracks based on user reviews. There are also clickable, county-by-county maps that bring up a list of all the clubs in a particular county - so say if you were going to the Hocking Hills, the Lake Erie Islands, etc. you could find courses nearby. I like this website quite a bit - user reviews display the individual users' biases, but don't have some larger political/economic motivation like publication rankings. Check it out!

Golf Cleveland Ohio has reviews of all the public courses within an hour or so of Metro Cleveland, many/most with pictures. The reviews aim to be pretty comprehensive, and even though I always don't agree with what they say (I think they miss the mark on my home track, for example) I value their imput and the fact that they have extensive photographs for most of the courses. Another one to check out.

• Upvote 1

Current Gear Setup: Driver: TM R9 460, 9.5, Stiff - 3W: TM R9, 15, stiff - Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Black, 18, stiff - Irons: Callaway X Forged 09, 3-PW, PX 5.5 - SW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 54.14 - LW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 60.12 - Putter: PING Redwood Anser, 33in.

Nice!  Thanks for posting.  Im moving to Columbus in the spring and will definetly have to check out some of these courses.  It seems like Columbus has a lot of really nice, affortable muni courses too.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Originally Posted by TitleistWI

Nice!  Thanks for posting.  Im moving to Columbus in the spring and will definetly have to check out some of these courses.  It seems like Columbus has a lot of really nice, affortable muni courses too.

Columbus is within 90 minutes of most of Ohio's great golf, IMO. I'm not a fan of the city myself...but good luck!

Current Gear Setup: Driver: TM R9 460, 9.5, Stiff - 3W: TM R9, 15, stiff - Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Black, 18, stiff - Irons: Callaway X Forged 09, 3-PW, PX 5.5 - SW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 54.14 - LW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 60.12 - Putter: PING Redwood Anser, 33in.

Did NCR south fall off the face of earth?

Driver: Ping K15 10°, Mitsubishi Diamana Blueboard 63g Stiff
Fairway 4-wood: TaylorMade RocketBallz Tour TP 17.5°, Matrix Ozik TP7HD S shaft

Hybrids: Callaway Diablo Edge 3H-4H, Aldila DVS Stiff
Irons: MIURA PP-9003, Dynamic Gold Superlite S300, Sand Wedge: Scratch 8620 56°
Putter: Nike Method Concept Belly 44"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B330-S

Originally Posted by ohiolefty

Columbus is within 90 minutes of most of Ohio's great golf, IMO. I'm not a fan of the city myself...but good luck!

Thanks.  I love Madison, so Im hopeful that Columbus will be similar but a bigger city.  Being a Badger fan living in Buckeye country is going to be interesting but at least I will still be in a Big 10 city and will get to see Badger hockey play in person at least once a year.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

NCR is still ranked 71 in the Golfweek top 100 classic courses in the US.

The lists that are being posted on this site are open to input from anyone.  That is to say a GM at one of the courses could give his/her course a perfect score and give really low scores to their competitors.  More likely however I figure a person who typically plays average to below average courses plays a pretty nice course and ranks it with perfect scores because it is the best thing they have ever seen.

While the major publication rankings (Golf Digest, Golf Magazine and Golf Wekk) have some flaws to them I trust them more than internet open source lists because the raters have seen a vast array of courses.

I skimmed this thread and didnt see a few courses I enjoyed playing when I lived in the midwest... Eaglesticks in Zanesville is a great track. That is where I really learned to play as a kid. Thunderhill is one of the hardest courses on the planet. Seriously a great challenge of golf. It's outside of Cleveland. Granville Golf Course is a fun course. I played many rounds there with my Pops. Blue Ash Golf Course is superb in Cincinnati. My roommates and I would always play there on weekends in college.

Note: This thread is 3870 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!