IGNORED

Pre Loading Weight on Left Side at Address

soloredd
Note: This thread is 1449 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey guys I'm kind of curious about something. About a month ago I started to realize that if I pre-loaded weight to my left side (it feels rather drastic, about 65-35) and remained at that same weight distribution through the backswing and then moving it all through and follow through, my contact was so much better, got better ball flight, etc. I've stuck with this method and have seen a big improvements in my irons (I don't do this with the driver, a little less with my wedges). I also have been working on shortening my back swing, I used to swing a bit passed parallel.

What I'm wondering is if this is some sort of band-aid to a bigger issue or can I rely on this to be a style of swing for me? I tried Stack & Tilt about 16 months ago using the DVDs and online information so I'm guessing that I just stumbled upon a small idea of that swing and put it to my own use (albeit very hacker-ish!!)

Callaway Org14 Sport w/ Clicgear Cart:

Callaway X 460 9* - Callaway X 15* - TaylorMade 19*/21* Hybrid - Callaway Diablo Forged 4-PW - Titleist 50/56/60 - Rife Cayman Brac - Bridgestone xFIXx/B330-RX - TRUE Linkswear Supporter!

I was intentionally doing this as well....that is until I posted some videos here. I guess it creates a reverse pivot. I was focusing so much on a forward (towards target) lean, that my right leg was pretty much locking. I would like to know how the stack and tilt principle of weight forward is so different. Essentially, wouldn't keeping your weight left be the same, no matter what? You should also take everything you read on here with a grain of salt. You'll get 5 different opinions, and they're all right, of course.

I was intentionally doing this as well....that is until I posted some videos here. I guess it creates a reverse pivot. I was focusing so much on a forward (towards target) lean, that my right leg was pretty much locking. I would like to know how the stack and tilt principle of weight forward is so different. Essentially, wouldn't keeping your weight left be the same, no matter what? You should also take everything you read on here with a grain of salt. You'll get 5 different opinions, and they're all right, of course.

Hey thanks for the reply. So, have you changed your swing since posting the video or did you stick with it? What kind of results were you getting? Personally, it has been working for me so well I just feel so confident over all my irons. I figured by having this kind of style of swing, it would eliminate worrying about shifting my weight and help me minimize flipping (as my swing now bottoms out in front of the ball obviously). I'm sure a pro would throw up and I've yet to get laughed at on the course (though I'm waiting for it every round hahaha)!

Callaway X 460 9* - Callaway X 15* - TaylorMade 19*/21* Hybrid - Callaway Diablo Forged 4-PW - Titleist 50/56/60 - Rife Cayman Brac - Bridgestone xFIXx/B330-RX - TRUE Linkswear Supporter!

• Administrator
I guess it creates a reverse pivot.

It's only a reverse pivot if your weight moves to the right (for a righty) on the downswing.

I would like to know how the stack and tilt principle of weight forward is so different.

Starts slightly left, then goes further left on the downswing.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It's only a reverse pivot if your weight moves to the right (for a righty) on the downswing.

So Erik, if I maintain the weight distribution back and down then forward through the ball, there is no reverse pivot. What happens if the weight is exaggerated to the front at address, like 70/30? How would it affect the golf swing in terms of impact position and contact?

Hey thanks for the reply. So, have you changed your swing since posting the video or did you stick with it? What kind of results were you getting?

I gave up on it, and now just swing with what feels natural to me. I have two thoughts when addressing the ball now.....Am I aligned to where I am trying to put the ball? and making sure my grip is neutral when I square the club up to the ball. I am striking better than I ever have, so much so, that pretty much all of my shots have shifted a club length, and I hook a lot less. I don't care how it looks to others either, lol...have never been told it looks funny in person.

Thanks. I didn't think I shifted right on the downswing. My untrained eyes just weren't seeing it I guess. Sorry for hijacking your thread there solo...we now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

Some have trouble with the weight transfer-right then left, so by presetting weight on left AND allowing it to transfer to the right instep-no further-it "automatically" allows weight transfer to right then to left on downswing. There is a little push off the right instep to get it moving left. Watch VJ Singh, he does this very well.

Feel can be misguiding too. When I first started working on S&T;, it felt like I had 90% of the weight on my left foot on the backswing. Today it feels perfectly natural, but I don't pay much attention to where my weight feels like it is. Here are some key points for me:
  • Weight 55-45 left on setup
  • Keep the centers centered on the backswing, no swaying back with head or hips (no swaying forward either)
  • Push the hips and left knee forward on the downswing without letting the upper body follow
  • Making sure my right knee don't kick in, but bank in as it gets pulled by the rotation
  • Keep the right foot on the ground until after impact

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Feel can be misguiding too.

Yeah, that's how I have been feeling but I know feel is not real. I'll continue to stick with it, what I really need to work on is my follow through. On video it appears I chicken wing pretty good, doesn't look fluid at all (this is after contact and hitting in front of the ball).

Thanks for the reply, zeph, I appreciate it.

• 1 year later...
Here is what works for me: Ball right of center, right eye left of ball, 70 % weight on left foot, leaning left at address. Big, open stance, with left foot 25 degrees left, right foot ten degrees left. No wrist cock, only hinge. Three quarter swing. Club face square to swing arc up and down. Right wrist arrives cupped and left wrist flat at impact effortlessly. Totally contrary to everything I believed was correct, but I'm hitting the ball better than ever.
  • Thumbs Up 1

Started reading about  the stack and tilt swing and my game has improved a lot . I find my swing is more effective  if I limit the degree of swaying to the left on  the downswing .  The concept of not having to worry about shifting from right to left seems for me to simplify the swing , regardless of what the purists might say .

• 3 years later...

I am a firm believer in setting up with weight left.  I took a dozen lessons at  GolfTEC and dozens more with local pros. All of which helped immensly except for weight shiftting.  I struggled with that.

So, I tried keeping my weight left and it's helped my game.  Contact with the ball is far better.

For me, it's now part of my swing for good!

• Thumbs Up 1

Add me to the weight forward at set up group. I do shift a little weight to my back leg during my back swing, but not much. Not enough to notice anyways.

I learned this weight forward scenario back in the 1970s. Been using it ever since. It has given me a consistent low point in my down swing, which has led to better ball contact. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

In my opinion, anything done to excess can not be good, but when first learning a particular move, it may be helpful to exaggerate to the extent of experiencing the feeling for comparative purpose. Concerning weight forward and how it is explained in the SnT method, I find it not all that much different from what is considered a more conventional swing. There are differences to be sure, but if you think about it, not all that much. Consider what is offered in Hogan's Five lessons which in essence is a one plane swing albeit not as in others that are back and through (Think Moe Norman). Hogan places a little more emphasis on rotation while in the SnT (as I understand it, and not being an actual student), the action of moving MORE forward is a result of standing up into the swing, some hip slide e.t.c. The method works very well for some, for others not so much. I think some get into trouble when the swing becomes too “contrived”which can be eliminated by practice UNDER SUPERVISION. I guess to simplify things, would be to consider that any swing that works on a consistent basis producing the sought result is the right swing.

Edited by Hacker James

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

right handed here

full swing - I preload slightly right (60/40?) but it's not visible (used to be blatant) in my setup.  Then move through to the left on my swing and follow through (95%)

preloading on the left and keeping it there or even a little more through the swing?  sounds like chip and punch and sand shots to me.  I'll do this for partial swings also.  It does help me get better contact for not a lot of tradeoff.

Bill - 

Note: This thread is 1449 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!