IGNORED

Poulter Minor Meltdown at the Deutsche Bank

c. lassiter
Note: This thread is 4972 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure. He's way laid off at the top of the swing. His arms are very high at the top too, right elbow a little too disconnected from his body. Also looks to me like he brings the club down slightly under plane sometimes, but that's debatable. These things add complications to the swing and make it a little harder to square the clubface at impact. He's obviously learned to cope with his swing problems, or he wouldn't be where he is in the game and it's been proven that there are plenty of ways to make a swing work. But as Pro swings go, I don't think it'd be considered a classic, or great technically. The problem here is you seem to have taken that statement to mean he must be a poor

Agreed - and furthermore, SKY Sports in the UK...the studio-pundits often remark that Poulter has gotten to where he is now by sheer mental-attitude and dogged-determination.

TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°
TaylorMade RAC TP MB 3-PW
TaylorMade RAC TP 54°.10 / 58°.10
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

Well if the top 2 players in the world can talk shit about each other... then yes. Yes I can. You can take back your sarcastic reply now.

Id love to see some proof to back up this wild statement. Ive never heard Tiger or Phil talk trash about each other. As to me taking back my sarcastic reply, good luck with all that. LOL

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Id love to see some proof to back up this wild statement. Ive never heard Tiger or Phil talk trash about each other. As to me taking back my sarcastic reply, good luck with all that. LOL

It's no secret that they don't like each other. Where have you been living, under a rock?

I'm waiting for proof from all the other people in this thread saying that Poulter is one of the most hated guys on tour and other players say his attitude is detrimental to the game and all this other shit. Because quite frankly, it's bullshit. Poulter is not afraid of expressing his emotions but his interaction with other players and fans has, at least when I watch golf, always been praised.

Callaway XR 9.5 + 1, Taylormade R15 3 Wood, Burner 3 Rescue, Callaway XHot 5H, Warbird 4H, Nike Vapor Fly 6-AW Irons, Titleist Vokey 54, 60 Wedges, Taylormade Rossa Fontana Putter, Srixon Z-Star Tour Yellow.

Best Score 2017:  82 (Traditions at the Glen, Par 70)

Favorite Course - Conklin Players Club (Par 72) - Best Score 86

theres no love lost between tiger and phil, but you dont have any proof that theyve ever talked smack about each other.

and nobody else has any proof that other tour players have called Ian Poulters poor attitude "detrimental" to the game. Like others in this thread have claimed either.

I'd go so far as to say Tigers attitude with his stature is FAR MORE detrimental to the game than one guy posting on a forum about Ian Poulter getting pissed because someone clicked a camera during his swing, then everyone else comes piling in saying oh he's a detriment to the game and his attitude is a distraction to himself and other tour players... really? Completely contradicts everything else you'll read or hear about of him. Watch the damn tournament on TV, you'll never hear a bad word about the guy.

Callaway XR 9.5 + 1, Taylormade R15 3 Wood, Burner 3 Rescue, Callaway XHot 5H, Warbird 4H, Nike Vapor Fly 6-AW Irons, Titleist Vokey 54, 60 Wedges, Taylormade Rossa Fontana Putter, Srixon Z-Star Tour Yellow.

Best Score 2017:  82 (Traditions at the Glen, Par 70)

Favorite Course - Conklin Players Club (Par 72) - Best Score 86

I like Ian, He is a bloke who worked in a pro shop and made the bigs. Rough around the edges, yes, but I think he is a great story and I like him.

Yep agree, we all have our faults and he has a few, but as said he worked as an assistant in a pro shop and had the will to make it big, which I admire him for.

Yes his swing is not perfect and breaks down under pressure some times, but when he is on, he is on! even the best get frustrated but it seems most on here love to bash someone and it is always Poulter and that does not happen unless you are a global sports personality. I have seen him at many events and he has always made time for fans and autographs, he does a lot of work for the Make A Wish Foundation as well. So saying he is a jerk based on seeing him once at a Irish ProAm when he may have been having a bad day is off IMHO. I like him, yes he is bold with his clothes but at least he isn't another boring Florida type with beige slacks and god awful lycra polo shirt on day in day out.

:tmade: M2 10.5° - Fujikura Pro 60 - Stiff
:tmade: V-Steel 18° - M.A.S Ultralight- Stiff
:ping: G400 4-UW - AWT 2.0 - Stiff
:tmade: Tour Preferred 58° ATV - KBS Tour-V - Wedge
:scotty_cameron: Select SquareBack - 34" - SuperStroke MS 2.0

So saying he is a jerk based on seeing him once at a Irish ProAm when he may have been having a bad day is off IMHO.

Tell that to the people (many of whom were kids) who his caddie was barking at to get out of the way that day. We don't get a lot of golf here and for many people, that day will be their only time seeing Ian in person. It also happens to be one of the most profitable charity golf events in Europe and the players who come are very well looked after by JP McManus. So yeah, you'd think he could at least pretend to be happy to be there and sign a few autographs for the kids without moaning and scowling. Besides, it's not as if that was the only gripe about his attitude. Seach this website alone and you'll find countless accounts of incidents just like this one, it's not an isolated occurrence. But hey, I'm not trying to convince you, you can think whatever you like of Ian. But I know what I think of him too.
A great shot is when you go for it and pull it off. A smart shot is when you don't have the guts to try it. ~ Phil Mickelson.

Tell that to the people (many of whom were kids) who his caddie was barking at to get out of the way that day. We don't get a lot of golf here and for many people, that day will be their only time seeing Ian in person. It also happens to be one of the most profitable charity golf events in Europe and the players who come are

Hey I hear what you’re saying, I would be upset if he was like that at an event I took my kids to, what I am saying is that this was one event, sure it had a lot of people who may not see another tournament all year and may have been a charity event, but it is one event in the hundreds he attends each year, and no one can be prefect all year.

Besides, it's not as if that was the only gripe about his attitude. Search this website alone and you'll find countless accounts of incidents just like this one, it's not an isolated occurrence. But hey, I'm not trying to convince you, you can think whatever you like of Ian. But I know what I think of him too.

I am fully aware that this is the not the only gripe about his attitude on here, but most of the posts as said by others are hearsay, the same hearsay that states most players on the tour say he is a happy and pleasant chap.

Your experience however is not hearsay and is a real experience so you are entitled to say and feel what you will about him, but so is the same real experience's that I have had several times when he has been great hence my liking of him. My original post was to this affect, in that it is based on my experiences and I guess that yours is based on your experiences, so I retract that saying he is a jerk based on one event is off, but I maintain that he should not be judged by others with no personal experience.

:tmade: M2 10.5° - Fujikura Pro 60 - Stiff
:tmade: V-Steel 18° - M.A.S Ultralight- Stiff
:ping: G400 4-UW - AWT 2.0 - Stiff
:tmade: Tour Preferred 58° ATV - KBS Tour-V - Wedge
:scotty_cameron: Select SquareBack - 34" - SuperStroke MS 2.0

People might not like his swing, but it cannot be all that bad to be ranked 12th in the world. He just seems to be in a sour mood alot on the course. I dont know if he's a jerk or a decent guy.

I disagree that you have to be able to DO something in order to recognize whether it's being done well or not.

Are you trying to tell me that the 12th best golfer in the ENTIRE WORLD(6.7 billion people) is doing it wrong?

• Administrator
Are you trying to tell me that the 12th best golfer in the ENTIRE WORLD(6.7 billion people) is doing it wrong?

Did Jack Nicklaus exhibit swing flaws? Tiger talks about his (or people talk about Tiger's) all the time.

YES, you can be a PGA Tour golfer and have swing flaws. C'mon.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Did Jack Nicklaus exhibit swing flaws? Tiger talks about his (or people talk about Tiger's) all the time.

The only issue I have with a high handicapper critique is when phrases like "anyone with eyes can see how bad it is" get tossed around. Really? I have eyes, but I need a bit more information than that. Could his swing be better? Of course it could. His streaky play is all the proof we need for that. The trick is being able to articulate what

exactly needs to be improved. Take Charlie Hoffman for example. Could he have a better swing? Sure, but on the back nine yesterday it was the best swing in the world - at least it was out of the bunkers. Poulter could have a more consistent move and maybe some day he will and like Charlie did yesterday, Poults relies very heavily on his short game. If he can ever get the tee to green game to that level he might actually win something. I mean, with his crummy attitude and self made swing (or was it?) he's come a long way.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

How can something be "terrible" and extremely successful at the same time?

• Administrator
How can something be "terrible" and extremely successful at the same time?

Please don't quote me not using a certain word and then put quotation marks around that word in your response as if I said it. One person has used that word to describe Poulter's swing in this thread and it wasn't me, and he was roundly criticized for saying it. Let's move on.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

One person has used that word to describe Poulter's swing in this thread and it wasn't me, and he was roundly criticized for saying it. Let's move on.

Actually, I said it too . However, it was meant in relation and comparison to other Pro Swings, not as a general golf swing.
A great shot is when you go for it and pull it off. A smart shot is when you don't have the guts to try it. ~ Phil Mickelson.

Heard about an amusing Poulter twitter post a few minutes ago.

"Johnny miller saying today I wasn't a good ball striker. I guess I do alright for a duffer then. He talks such bollocks at times."

He's not the best ballstriker on tour, far from it in indeed. But to say he's 'not good' and give him no credit for it whatsoever is a bit much. And I definitely agree with Poulter on the last sentence. Miller and McCord are the commentary pairing in my nightmares.

I hope this develops into what would be surely be a hilarious feud.

Heard about an amusing Poulter twitter post a few minutes ago.

Big ups for Poulter saying that. I like him now. Johnny Miller can be a real prick sometimes, it's about time someone lashed out.

Note: This thread is 4972 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!