IGNORED

Over the Top Swing

Keith412
Note: This thread is 3430 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have been struggling with an over the top swing since i started golfing last year. I had been to a few instructors but the last one i saw really helped me understand it. He put my swing on video and walked me through what i was doing wrong and how to fix it (i think it helped more because i am a very visual person). I know changing a swing plane is one of the toughest things to do in golf but this is definitely frustrating. I feel like i am more comfortable with my wedges up till my 6 iron with this new swing....but when it comes to the hybrids and woods i feel like i fall inbetween my new swing and old swing and the results are just terrible. Has anyone gone through this swing change and suffered from the same issue? (that being the longer clubs being the hardest to swing from the inside?) Did anything help you get past this?

Rapture Driver (12 degrees)
Rapture V2 4 Wood (17.5 degrees)
Rapture Hybrid (21 Degrees)
X-24 Hot Irons (4 through PW)
CG15 Wedges, 48, 52 and 58 degrees Method Putter #1 HX Hot Plus Golf Balls

Regarding your OTT move...

It might simply be a symptom of over-swinging. That is to say, maybe you are trying too hard to swing too hard with the woods. I am guilty of this, what I call an “ego based swing flaw,” from time to time. Instead of staying in tempo, maintaining my lag, and swinging smoothly, I concern myself with trying to crush the ball. The result is tension, spinning out, coming over the top, and going Oscar Bravo.

Of course, I offer this without seeing a video of your swing - so I could be wrong.

"Every man is his own hell" - H.L. Mencken

Once I got the proper instruction and worked on it regularly, fixing my OTT was not a lot of work really.

If you struggle with the longer irons, start out with shorter swings, perhaps choked up a bit. Keep working on whatever you work on.

Of course, we don't know what you are working on, and we haven't seen a video, so it is hard to tell.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I spent a year trying to fix my over the top swing without understanding what that term really meant. After 2 months of weekly lessons, I understand what swinging over the top means and I understand the reasons why I do it . .but I still do it. I do it less, but still do it. I just think it takes time. Before I started seeing this guy, I would sometimes swing well with my woods, sometimes with my irons, etc. Now I find it is the same as you describe . .the less the loft and longer the shaft, the harder it is for me to hit. I'm good down to my 5 iron but definitely struggle with low irons and woods. Overall, I'm feeling pretty good about my progess and what the pro is telling me makes sense to me . . .as far as when I will be able to smash a driver, I'm thinking late next season . . if I work hard.

To make it easier to swing inside-out with the longer clubs, try using a closed stance. Trailing toe about 1" further from your target line than your lead toe with your mid irons, up to about 2" with your driver. Clubface should still be square to your target line at address before you take your grip.

It may sound stupid, but an over the top swing, or an outside in swing, is just what it sounds like. Most people just don't realize how far from the inside the swing should come. Swinging from the inside is as simple as it sounds, you set up pointed straight, and swing dead right. You will feel like you're going to hit the ball a mile to the right, and that's not enough still. I mean, it should feel like the ball is going to fly where your toes are pointed.

It may sound stupid, but an over the top swing, or an outside in swing, is just what it sounds like. Most people just don't realize how far from the inside the swing should come. Swinging from the inside is as simple as it sounds,

I think this is what scares most people about swinging inside out. They have that feeling of swinging out to the right so much that they are afraid that is where the ball will go. Those are the words that have come from several of my higher handicap friends that have a really bad OTT move.

I still do it also. I have about a 1/4" (maybe a tad more) over the top move that I am trying to get rid of. Like mentioned above, it usually comes with me getting out of my tempo or taking too long of a back swing.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Once I got the proper instruction and worked on it regularly, fixing my OTT was not a lot of work really.

Great post.

My pro told me when I was struggling with the long clubs that most people have a hard time hitting a low iron because they are unintentionally over swinging and causing a lot of excess tension. You know the 3 iron is supposed to go far, so you overswing trying to make sure it does. He said to swing it like its and 8 iron and the club will do the work for you.

You know the 3 iron is supposed to go far, so you overswing trying to make sure it does. He said to swing it like its and 8 iron and the club will do the work for you.

Good post. I like to think of mine as a wedge. This helps keep my tempo correct. It is crazy how these "swing it hard" thoughts creep into your mind without you realizing it.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

It may sound stupid, but an over the top swing, or an outside in swing, is just what it sounds like. Most people just don't realize how far from the inside the swing should come. Swinging from the inside is as simple as it sounds, you set up pointed straight, and swing dead right. You will feel like you're going to hit the ball a mile to the right, and that's not enough still. I mean, it should feel like the ball is going to fly where your toes are pointed.

How do you get this with out feeling like your required to fall back onto the right side. My issue is that i try to swing out to right field, the only time i can get that straight push right is because it feels like my head needs to drop back a ton. I can't get that 1 and 1 to mesh, pushing the hips forward, keeping the head centered and get that swing to get more inside.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

looking to purchase a video recording device sometime soon. Once i have it i will definately upload to this post

Rapture Driver (12 degrees)
Rapture V2 4 Wood (17.5 degrees)
Rapture Hybrid (21 Degrees)
X-24 Hot Irons (4 through PW)
CG15 Wedges, 48, 52 and 58 degrees Method Putter #1 HX Hot Plus Golf Balls

• 4 years later...
I hadn't played for almost 2 years and I really struggled with the over the top for half a season. I couldn't believe my diviots. They went almost straight across my body.. Two years ago I was a 10 handicap and had slightly outward diviot. After some health issues I came back to golf closer to a 20. I found Hank Haney's 5 minute slice fix when I googled cure my slice. It was amazing. My irons gained 15 yards back to there old distances and the handicap is slowly coming down. Google hank Haney 5 minute slice fix it will help you if you do the drill. I do the drill right before I hit most shots.

I hadn't played for almost 2 years and I really struggled with the over the top for half a season. I couldn't believe my diviots. They went almost straight across my body.. Two years ago I was a 10 handicap and had slightly outward diviot. After some health issues I came back to golf closer to a 20.

I found Hank Haney's 5 minute slice fix when I googled cure my slice. It was amazing. My irons gained 15 yards back to there old distances and the handicap is slowly coming down. Google hank Haney 5 minute slice fix it will help you if you do the drill. I do the drill right before I hit most shots.

I´m reading the drill you are talking about ..But I don´t understand exactly how to do it... Could you explain it please?? Thanks !!

:nike:

Note: This thread is 3430 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!