IGNORED

Why should I fastplay?

kafka01
Note: This thread is 4975 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I think it is a silly parallel to compare Pro golf to your game and think you should be allow to play a 6 hour round just because the Pro's play slow. You missing a 3 foot putt won't cost you $100K, so need to grind over it. This would be like saying "In NASCAR they don't drive the speed limit, so why should I." If you want to spend 6 hours outside, go to a park or walk the dog.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like most here, I don't enjoy 5 hour+ rounds where I'm constantly waiting. However, I'll take those long rounds over playing with a group of FASTPLAY bastards. Can't stand it when a groups goal is to see if they can get their 4 some in at under 2.5 hours. I play golf to enjoy my leisure time and its miserable when your group wants to constantly rush. If you have a plane to catch or don't have the time for a 3.5-4 hour round (for a 4 some), keep your ass at home!

Cleveland Classic XL 10.5 Rombax 6X07
Titleist 904F Aldila NV
Nickent 3DX hybrid

MX-25 irons & MP-R wedges

Odyssey #5

Leopold GX1/Skycaddie SG5

Sun Mountain Hybrid Bag

Most people still play honors golf instead of ready golf, at least that's what I see. My biggest pet peave is when you're struggling on a hole and everyone beats you to the green. Then you get to the green and are the furthest out and people look at you waiting for you to puft. A-hole, you've been standing there for a good bit now waiting for me to get on. Why should I have to rush when you clearly should be ready to putt? What were you doing all this time?

They make tons of money from carts, so they will not be going away.

5 hours for a two ball?

I play a two ball in three hours without rushing

Taylormade RBZ 10.5 driver, Taylormade Burner 2.0 15 deg 3 wood, Mizuno JPX800 19deg hybrid, Taylormade Burner 2.0 4-PW, Titleist Vokey 52,56,60 rusty wedges, Odyssey White Ice #7 360gm tour weight, Bridgestone B330S

I play a two ball in three hours without rushing

It depends on the course design and the players involved. A buddy and I can get around some course in right around 3 hours and others take an extra hour because of design related bottlenecks, including water hazards, and rough too long where you lose a ball just off the fairway. A lot of wandering around to find a ball when the shot was not too bad. Coincidentally, a lot of hackers, women, and senior citizens play quicker because they don't hit the ball far enough to get into trouble.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

"Fastplay" would be to go around in 2 hours.

4 hours is slow-ish unless you're playing in a foursome or a money game where everyone's being finnicky about putts and things. More than 4 hours, unless you're held up by groups in front of you, is an absolute crime against humanity. Pol Pot and Idi Amin would have gotten around the course in 3 hours and 35 minutes, and they'd have been killing random people between holes for kicks.

Current Gear Setup: Driver: TM R9 460, 9.5, Stiff - 3W: TM R9, 15, stiff - Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Black, 18, stiff - Irons: Callaway X Forged 09, 3-PW, PX 5.5 - SW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 54.14 - LW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 60.12 - Putter: PING Redwood Anser, 33in.

I really dont care, as long as your not dickering around on the course. Not business/personal calls, chatin up on the green, etc... If your just golfing and not messing around the should be no problem with time.

OHIO

In my Revolver Bag
R9 460, RIP
R9 TP 3 Wood, Diamana 'ilima 70*Idea Pro Black 20*Titleist AP1 712 4-AW Spin Milled Black Nickel 56.08 & 60.10

And 90% of people are faster walking than with carts. The sooner courses realize that the better.[/QUOTE]

Many courses wont even allow people to walk and people shouldnt walk when the course is crowded, walking is SLOWER than riding in a cart for most people unless you're really good and always hit the ball straight, its much faster to drive to an errant shot than to walk there. I dont play golf to get exercise, its just for fun, i work out on my own time. The only reason I think some people walk instead of ride in my area is because its simply cheaper to not pay for the cart. They're not doing it for exercise, its to save money or maybe its high school kids practicing as Ive seen a lot around here lately.

Driver-Taylormade Burner Ti 420 cc 10.5 deg reg flex
3 wood-orlimar rcx 14 deg
Hybrids-warrior golf 20 deg, 23 deg and 26 deg
6-pw-AFFINITY / ORLIMAR HT2 irons steel shafts, reg flex, 56 deg tour series wedge
Putter-Rife 2 Bar Hybrid Mallet...

I hate fast play as well but I also don't like seeing people stand around watching other people hit, not preparing for their next stroke. And if you are having a rough day, either move to the forward tees or switch to playing best ball (if you are playing with someone else).

One guy I work with I also play golf with him maybe once a month. He's a slow dude. His pre-shot routine is looong: stands there looking at his situation, pulls club out, takes two practice swings but then he has this habit of when he addresses the ball he picks up the club about a foot behind the ball 5 times. It's hard to explain but basically this is his waggle. The problem is he could do all this stuff while someone else in the group is hitting. And then he tops it 20 yards ahead This almost forces me to play quicker. When I play with him, I don't take any practice swings and I often will hit at the same time he does, especially if we are a good distance from each other. And I walk ahead of him on the side of the hole so I am to my ball ready.

Carts are the bain of golf. They tear up the fairways, often times two-somes are going in circles looking for balls or worse, instead of one guy walking to his ball they have to go to each ball in the cart.

And to the post above: I could give a rats ass about walking being cheaper than a cart. Maybe that was the case in high school but not now.

Callaway Org14 Sport w/ Clicgear Cart:

Callaway X 460 9* - Callaway X 15* - TaylorMade 19*/21* Hybrid - Callaway Diablo Forged 4-PW - Titleist 50/56/60 - Rife Cayman Brac - Bridgestone xFIXx/B330-RX - TRUE Linkswear Supporter!

Many courses wont even allow people to walk and people shouldnt walk when the course is crowded, walking is SLOWER than riding in a cart for most people unless you're really good and always hit the ball straight, its much faster to drive to an errant shot than to walk there. I dont play golf to get exercise, its just for fun, i work out on my own time. The only reason I think some people walk instead of ride in my area is because its simply cheaper to not pay for the cart. They're not doing it for exercise, its to save money or maybe its high school kids practicing as Ive seen a lot around here lately.

Is this a joke?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

OP I'm sorry but seriously, if you're playing off of a 7.5 handicap then pacing out the exact yardage to the flag is not going to make any difference compared to using a laser range finder or sprinkler head. Hell, you could probably estimate it by sight and it wouldn't make a difference. Unless you're honestly going to say your 54 yard shot is definitely different than your 57 yard shot or your 52 yard shot. Then you cannot justify holding up the course to pace it out.

The same logic applies to reading the wind and deliberating over aiming for 4 minutes. You just aren't going to be accurate enough to have it end up mattering in the long run. The pros actually do have the capability to land it where they are aiming with great accuracy a great percentage of the time and therefore should read the wind and the break and the yardage. How many times out of 100 can you land the chip pin high and spin it stopped a few ft away? THe pros can do it far, far more than you and therefore should get a very exact yardage.

5 hours for a 4 ball is ridiculous, nobody in their right mind would need that much time to play a round unless they were having to constantly wait.

In the bag: I'm not a complete nike fanboy.. I just happened to pull some strings and get fitted at the oven
Driver| SQ Machspeed 8.5
Fairway Woods|3,5| SQ Machspeed fairway woods
Hybrids |3,4 iron| SQ Machspeed hybrid
Irons|PW-5| Split Cavity Forged IronWedges| 54 bent to 53 and 58...

OP I'm sorry but seriously, if you're playing off of a 7.5 handicap then pacing out the exact yardage to the flag is not going to make any difference compared to using a laser range finder or sprinkler head. Hell, you could probably estimate it by sight and it wouldn't make a difference. Unless you're honestly going to say your 54 yard shot is definitely different than your 57 yard shot or your 52 yard shot.

Again this whole thread wasnt about me but people who think they need to pace off 50y because they see the pros doing it and therefore they need to do it too. I´m way too lazy to walk up 50y and then back to hit my shot and i know i cant hit it that precise so i dont even care (and i have a rangerfinder so i couldnt care less). And maybe you should have realized at some point when i was suggesting a 5hour round for a 2some that there might be a touch of irony in this post (that is, if you actually read that far)

Burner 9°
FW Burner 15°
Burner Rescue 19°
MP67 4-PW
CG10 50° CG12 DSG 54° & 60°

Again this whole thread wasnt about me but people who think they need to pace off 50y because they see the pros doing it and therefore they need to do it too. I´m way too lazy to walk up 50y and then back to hit my shot and i know i cant hit it that precise so i dont even care (and i have a rangerfinder so i couldnt care less). And maybe you should have realized at some point when i was suggesting a 5hour round for a 2some that there might be a touch of irony in this post (that is, if you actually read that far)

Reading requires effort D:

In the bag: I'm not a complete nike fanboy.. I just happened to pull some strings and get fitted at the oven
Driver| SQ Machspeed 8.5
Fairway Woods|3,5| SQ Machspeed fairway woods
Hybrids |3,4 iron| SQ Machspeed hybrid
Irons|PW-5| Split Cavity Forged IronWedges| 54 bent to 53 and 58...

Reading requires effort D:

Thats why we play golf, right (not too fast though, otherwise it would be effort again)?

Burner 9°
FW Burner 15°
Burner Rescue 19°
MP67 4-PW
CG10 50° CG12 DSG 54° & 60°

I experience the opposite problem at my club. I understand those who want to take their time on the course and your point but I find that lately I've been getting very frustrated at players in groups in front of me. According to those I play with, I'm one of the fastest players at club. My aim is to finish a foursome in less than 4 hours and when I'm playing with my buddy we should be able to get 18 holes done in just more than 3 hours. I don't understand slow play because to me, I take plenty of time on the greens to read the line and line up every putt, other than a tap-in. I might be quick in everything else because I take less than 50 shots to get to the green, compared to the 65/70+ of most players.

lmao - that is funny.

Not as funny as people trying to rationalize playing a round of golf in more than 4 hours of their own accord. That is f*****g comedic genius. It makes Richard Pryor seem like a strip club barker, that's how funny it is.

Current Gear Setup: Driver: TM R9 460, 9.5, Stiff - 3W: TM R9, 15, stiff - Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Black, 18, stiff - Irons: Callaway X Forged 09, 3-PW, PX 5.5 - SW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 54.14 - LW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 60.12 - Putter: PING Redwood Anser, 33in.

Note: This thread is 4975 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!