IGNORED

My Swing (Unkynd)

Unkynd
Note: This thread is 4060 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Disclaimer : I'm terrible at golf, usually shooting around 120 on a par 72. This is my first video, and I know I'm doing tons of crap wrong. My amateur analysis: my swing plane is too flat; my wrists are turning too much during the backswing; my grip is too tight; i suck at golf;my left arm bends slightly at the top of my backswing;

This particular shot was a ground ball to center field.... hooray.

This second video is for comic relief only. Caution : Don't consume beverages while watching me suck at golf.

You know, your impact position really isn't bad at all in that second one. You just need to get it a couple inches closer to the actual golf ball.

I would suggest investing $10 in Brian Manzella's video "Confessions Of A Former Flipper", watching that a few times and doing some work on the drills. You can download it from his website, I think. That's going to zero in on your first big issue.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Please post a down the line view of your swing. I like how your right elbow stays attached to your torso

The main problem here is that you sway back off the ball on your backswing (Your torso, head, and hips all move toward your right leg on the backswing) and then you don't get nearly far enough forward with your hips and legs on downswing. I'm certain that you hit the ground before the ball very frequently.

Try this first:
Try swinging the club without moving your head/torso/weight to your rear foot, then on the downswing try pushing your hips as far forward and up as you can.
There are other things to work on, but I'd work on that first.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

I would suggest investing $10 in Brian Manzella's video "Confessions Of A Former Flipper"

I'll check that out, thank you.

Please post a down the line view of your swing. I like how your right elbow stays attached to your torso

I didn't post it initially because of how washed out the video is due to the sun being in that direction, and my camera angle was too high so you can't see the ball until it's in flight. I see what you're saying about my body moving to the right though. I'm actually trying to keep my weight on the left foot, but clearly I'm failing at that, heh. Does it look like my swing is getting too far behind me on the backswing, or is that okay?

Watch this Ben Hogan video lesson and swing

This is Hogan's driver/3 wood swing and the camera angle may be off a bit, but notice that the ball stays under his left armpit at address through the top of the backswing, then notice how much Hogan drives his hips forward at the start of the downswing.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

Thanks for the down the line view. Your first move on the downswing is to hit the ball with your arms--it looks like you are throwing the club at the ball from the top of the backswing. The first move on the downswing is with the hips and legs, not the arms--Hogan's video does a good job depicting this.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW

ahh, because my arms start moving down before my lower body? I find that when I try to move my hips first my head is all over the place. I guess that's something I need to work on too.

What should I work on first? Flipping, Hip Movement, Weight Forward, or something else?

I know if I try to tackle everything at once, I"m going to end up getting too many thoughts in my head. Right now I'm looking to improve ball striking consistency, because as you observed, I do hit behind the ball way too often. Accuracy would be next; I'd like to hit the ball in the general direction that I'm aiming. At this point, distance would be last on my list, because without the other 2, the distance isn't going to help much.

The second video where you get a good chunk of the ground before the ball may have been an ok swing if you'd gotten your hips (and thus the bottom of your swing) forward. Try hitting a few 1/2 to 3/4 swings and concentrate on moving your hips forward first and see if that improves your contact with the ball.

What should I work on first? Flipping, Hip Movement, Weight Forward, or something else?

I'd say weight forward first, then hip movement. If you get the weight forward and hip movement down, the flipping should correct itself.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW

I'll give you a tip that doesn't have much to do with any "swing mechanics"...loosen up(enjoy yourself and relax!) and "be athletic" Worst thing that can happen to a golf swing is to become robotic.

My philosophy on golf "We're not doing rocket science, here."

Don't worry about sucking at golf. It's a REALLY hard sport for 99% of us. I do like your attitude and that will carry you a long way in golf.

When I first started playing golf Fred Couples was a young guy. I saw him play and I knew I wanted his swing. I don't have it and never will, but it gave me a starting point. What awed me with Couples was how easy he seemed to be swinging. Everything appeared to be effortless and he hit the ball forever. Back in the 80s getting video of your swing was not a normal thing to do so all I had to go on was the mental image of a quiet controlled swing with a beautiful finish.

If I were you I would watch videos of as many different swings you can. Start to get mental images of what a good swing looks like. You can't possibly think of all the things that need to happen in a 3 second swing so having mental snapshots of where you need to be at critical points will help. There are all sorts of teaching methods and swing types out there and you will find what works for you over time. Definitely skip a round of golf or 3 to get some lessons. They really do make a difference.

Geomax 16 reg - driver
G10 17 4 wood reg
Sumo2 20 hybrid Reg
MX-100 4h, 5h, 6-gap Reg
MP T 10 56.10, 60.08Bullseye putter

Went to the range again today and tried to focus on keeping my weight forward. I can see that I'm still swaying a bit back on my backswing, but I did feel like I was hitting the ball better and actually leaving some divots that weren't 4 feet behind the ball.

I appreciate all of the input from everyone. It's nice going to the range and having something tangible to focus on. I think I'm making some progress with the weight forward thing, but still a ways to go.

Wow. Excellent improvement from your first posting.
The feedback I'd give now is to work on holding your "flying wedge" after contact. That's what I'm working on now.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

great improvement in 48hrs. I like your backswing position as it reaches :05 second mark on the down the line view (new video), but then you lift up getting your hands in a less "deep" and a more "steep" position. See deep hands thread below (explains the "B elbow" and "C shoulder" planes--basically at the :05 second mark your hands are in a good "B-elbow" plane position, but then you lift up across the "C-shoulder" plane. To get the club back on plane from across the "C-shoulder" plane you have to drop the club back down onto the "B-elbow" plane. This takes a lot of timing and practice.

I think you'll find it easier if you maintain the plane you have at the :05 second mark. That way all you really have to do is push your hips forward as much as you can and the club will stay on plane.

You can try shortening your backswing to the :05 second mark (might feel like at 70% backswing) or you can try turning more (you've already got a good hip turn) but keeping the club on the "B elbow" plane.

see deep hands thread and the drill posted by Dave W. (fourth or so reply) http://thesandtrap.com/forum/threads...ght=deep+hands

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW

Wow. Excellent improvement from your first posting.

Thank You bwdial. I remember reading that thread about the flying wedge. I noticed that my follow through seemed really quick... definitely something I need to work on.

great improvement in 48hrs. I like your backswing position as it reaches :05 second mark on the down the line view (new video), but then you lift up getting your hands in a less "deep" and a more "steep" position. See deep hands thread below (explains the "B elbow" and "C shoulder" planes--basically at the :05 second mark your hands are in a good "B-elbow" plane position, but then you lift up across the "C-shoulder" plane. To get the club back on plane from across the "C-shoulder" plane you have to drop the club back down onto the "B-elbow" plane. This takes a lot of timing and practice.

Thanks uttexas, you gave some great advice that made a lot of sense to me 2 days ago. I practiced a lot with getting my hips and weight forward, and obviously still have a lot of work to do in that regard. Your advice this time is a little more complicated, and might take me awhile to digest. Are you basically saying that I need to flatten out my backswing and not take it so steep? Based on the deep hands thread, it looks like my hands aren't supposed to go up to the level of my shoulders. Am I understanding that correctly?

I appreciate all of the feedback, and can already say that I feel more comfortable over the ball with the changes that have been suggested so far. Maybe the next time I go out to play 18 I can break 120. It's good to have goals!

Sorry, I rambled a bit and wasn't very clear. Yes, basically keep your backswing plane the same as it is at the :05 second mark. By lifting up to the shoulder plane (you actually go above the shoulder plane), it creates an extra timing move in the swing--with the first move on the downswing, you would have to drop your hands and club shaft back onto the plane you had at the :05 second mark. There are several professional golfers that do this, but it is extremely difficult to do this consistently (my experience) It's much easier to hit the ball consistently by staying on the "B elbow" plane (especially with the limited practice time we have as recreational golfers)

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW

Swing looks a little better. BTW, where is Oklahoma are you? As you can see, I'm in Tulsa.

What's in my bag:
Driver: taylormade.gifBurner 09 Stiff 9.5*
Fairway Woods: adams.gifRPM Low Profile 3 & 5
Irons: mizuno.gifMP 57 - 3-PW Project X 5.5
Wedges: wilson.gifREG. 588 54* &cleveland.gif 60*Putter: ping.gifAnserBall: titleist.gifProV1x Home Course: Forest Ridge Golf Club

Note: This thread is 4060 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!