IGNORED

Ten ways to change the golf model??

juanrjackson
Note: This thread is 4968 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I love when people say "wait until you have 3 or 4 kids" as if it's a given. That's a huge assumption and would imply that there is no choice in the matter. The reason I don't and won't have kids is precisely because my money and time is already too limited. It's obvious that when you have kids your personal time will be near non existent for many years to come. And that's fine and worth it to many, just don't act surprised that you don't have any free time. People need to be aware of the choices they make.

You're right that I shouldn't assume everyone is willing to make that commitment because having a family is absolutely a huge commitment. For others, it could be work demands and have little to do with family. There's no surprise on my end except for the number of golfers who apparently don't appreciate the time crunch that many of us have (work and/or family) and why we simply don't practice more or don't religiously follow the rules of golf during practice, non-competition, non-handicap rounds. The game should have room for serious golfers as well as casual or beginning golfers. The focus should be on good golf etiquette to make the game enjoyable for everyone who may be on the course at the same time. That's something I'm personally 100% committed to and will frequently repair extra divots, ball marks, and pickup trash (even tees left on the ground) whenever possible....as long as I don't hold up the pace of play.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane iMix 11.5*
Fairway: Cobra Baffler Rail F 3W & 7W
Irons:  Wilson Ci
Wedges:  Acer XB (52* & 56*)
Putter:  Cleveland Classic #10 with Winn Jumbo Pistol Grip

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a good thought - but would work best on courses where the layout is conducive to it - i.e you can make it to/from the clubhouse without too much problem.

I grew up at a Country Club where Wednesday was Junior's day. Why? Because that was when they did a lot of the course maintenance - during the work day. We had to put up with sprinklers, mowers and general repair - but we didn't mind (not that the parents cared what we thought!).

So my thought was geared more along the lines of letting the Juniors play a full round instead of a part of one.

I really don't like any of these suggestions, except maybe number 4, partially. This wouldn't only help juniors and seniors, but some of us who don't have enough time for another nine, or a whole round after school/work, getting off the course at the 3rd, 6th, 12th, or 15th holes would really help to stretch out a round from 9 to 15 or 0 to 12 holes.

In the  Strata Bag:

3 Wood:  XL

Irons: 4-5:  AP1; 6-PW:  XL

Wedges:  Tour Grind, 52°/60°

Putter:  White Hot XG #9

Balls:  Mojo

I think it would be helpful to get rid of 18 hole rates. Keep nine hole rates for those that don't want to play a full round but charge a flat rate for anyhing over nine holes. Meaning, if you want to play 36 holes in a day you don't have to pay a second time. 18 holes or 36 holes or all the golf you can get in for one price.

What's in my bag:
Driver: taylormade.gifBurner 09 Stiff 9.5*
Fairway Woods: adams.gifRPM Low Profile 3 & 5
Irons: mizuno.gifMP 57 - 3-PW Project X 5.5
Wedges: wilson.gifREG. 588 54* &cleveland.gif 60*Putter: ping.gifAnserBall: titleist.gifProV1x Home Course: Forest Ridge Golf Club

With tennis and racquetball you get what you pay (or don't pay) for. You can go to a free tennis court but it's probably going to have tons of potholes and cracks. If you get a membership at a tennis club you'll usually get nicer courts. Racquetball you really have to be a member somewhere to play, I've never seen a free racquetball court because I've never seen an outdoor racquetball court.

You're right about the skiing, raquetball is usually offered at local YMCA's along with a lot of other sports and the membership is around 50 a month. I wish all the golf I wanted was 50 a month. Maybe the tennis debate depends on location, in my area there are several different parks that offer tennis courts that are in great shape. Still, in my opinion (which is likely to be wrong) golf is extremely expensive and sometimes seems elistist to newcomers.

Driver - VR str8 fit
3 wood - Burner 09
3 hybrid - Burner hybrid
Irons - VR split cavity S300 shaft
SW - CG15 56 degreeLW - VR forged 60 degreePutter - Studio select

You're right that I shouldn't assume everyone is willing to make that commitment because having a family is absolutely a huge commitment. For others, it could be work demands and have little to do with family. ...There's no surprise on my end except for the number of golfers who apparently don't appreciate the time crunch that many of us have (work and/or family) ...

Lots of people I know are returning to golf in their late 40s now that the kids are out of the house. And retirement... Played with a guy this summer who had just retired last year at 65. He had gone from a 24 HDCP to an 8 in about a year by taking lessons and going to senior flex shafts.

Lots of the people who continue playing golf amid family and jobs are biz professionals or self-employed. They work long hours, but a few afternoons a month they can get out and play... kinda self-styled flex time. I think for the returnees it's a matter of can they find golf partners they like to play with. If you have a threesome or a foursome, your group can get tee times and control somewhat the conditions you play under. I show up mostly as a single, and live Forrest Gump's "box of chocolates" - you never know what you're going to get for playing partners. A coworker has made the effort to take lessons, and we're trying to block off some flextime once a week to go out and play. If you're by yourself with no tee time, it's too easy to run some semi-important errand rather than going out and playing.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Driving ranges could get creative with gimmicks to attract people to the game but leave the course alone! People can find a local easy "dog track" where they can learn the game and play without major difficulty.

TopGolf figured out how to turn driving ranges into a pool hall environment & make a lot of $$$.....

http://www.topgolfusa.com/locations/...s/default.aspx

In my clicgear.gif 2.0 Push Cart and callaway.gifgolf bag are - 

Z-Star driver 10.5  Mashie 3 and 7 metals  Mashie 4 hyrbird  Z-Star 4-PW Irons  cleveland.gifCG Black 48, 52, 56 degree wedges  GoLo putter  upro mx+ gps

I could practice more if I chose to....

I agree with your two main points. It can be very tough to make time for golf when you have a wife & family. When you count commute, 4+ hour round....I am gone about 6-7 hours on a Saturday playing golf. I know a lot of guys that would like to play golf, but just do not have the time.

In my clicgear.gif 2.0 Push Cart and callaway.gifgolf bag are - 

Z-Star driver 10.5  Mashie 3 and 7 metals  Mashie 4 hyrbird  Z-Star 4-PW Irons  cleveland.gifCG Black 48, 52, 56 degree wedges  GoLo putter  upro mx+ gps

You're right about the skiing, raquetball is usually offered at local YMCA's along with a lot of other sports and the membership is around 50 a month. I wish all the golf I wanted was 50 a month. Maybe the tennis debate depends on location, in my area there are several different parks that offer tennis courts that are in great shape. Still, in my opinion (which is likely to be wrong) golf is extremely expensive and sometimes seems elistist to newcomers.

Maybe in NC you can find a decent free tennis court or raquetball court, but not here in NY. Free tennis courts are far a few between and the ones that exist are usually not well maintained or safe to be around. As for raquetball, club memberships are usually $75 - $100 month, courts are $10 per hour, which is about the cost of golf per hour on many public courses. I don't think golf, at least in NY, is any more elitist than tennis or racquetball. As for expense, it depends on how you get involved. If you buy used clubs, it's not that bad, but it can be expensive if you want it to be.

Joe Paradiso

Tennis, mountain climbing, skiiing, snowboarding, running, swimming, track, field (shot put, javelin, discus, etc), ad infinitum.

Tennis. Most amateurs would be lucky to touch the first serve, let alone get into a rally against a pro.

Cycling, Hmmm, yeah, I can get myself to the alps, but where would I find a doctor to give me some lung enhancing drugs?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Tennis. Most amateurs would be lucky to touch the first serve, let alone get into a rally against a pro.

It's interesting how people interpret things. You could play a regulation size tennis court in any city. Many reasonably affordable tennis clubs have essentially the same courts as the Australian and US Open, not to mention all the non-slam events. You could ride a bicycle on the same route taken for the Tour de France.

The post I was replying to suggested golf was the only sport you could play the same venue as the pros. Obviously there are many things wrong with that argument. Even hockey could be added to the list. I've played hockey on the same ice as the Edmonton Oilers and Calgary Flames. You just get some guys together and rent the ice time. If the argument was related to returning a pro's tennis serve, then that same argument must be applied to golf - tournament course, tournament conditions, tournament pressure. That's not gonna happen for 99.99 percent of amateurs no matter how much they think shelling out $500 to play Pebble Beach is the same experience as playing in the US Open.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Tennis, mountain climbing, skiiing, snowboarding, running, swimming, track, field (shot put, javelin, discus, etc), ad infinitum.

I do wonder which sports have the biggest gap between the performance of equipment aimed at average and expert participants. Cycling has to have one of the biggest gaps, does golf have one of the smallest?

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

I do wonder which sports have the biggest gap between the performance of equipment aimed at average and expert participants. Cycling has to have one of the biggest gaps, does golf have one of the smallest?

With cycling, it's not just about the bike. Some people you see in the category races in the US would benefit more by losing weight from their body than from their bike. You can pay lots of money to lose 5 pounds from the bike and/or get it more aerodynamic, but it's so much cheaper (although mentally harder) to just watch the beers and burgers.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Note: This thread is 4968 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!