IGNORED

Super Thick Putter Grips

Note: This thread is 4933 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Have you seen these? A kid I played a match agaist had them. They are supposed to make you grip the putter lighter and eliminate push/pull or something. http://www.superstrokegrip.com/
I guess my real ? is , has anyone had experience with these, or would you think they would be effective?

Thanks,
Varsity

A four foot putt to win never gets any less terrifying.
-David Feherty

If I ever get happy with myself for finishing 12th or 15th, someone needs to put my clubs away and I'll take up tiddlywinks.
-Ian Poulter

they;re also called 2-thumb grips.

I haven't tried them but I doubt I'd like them, a bit too bulky

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

I tried them out at a local proshop here. It definitely does help keep your wrist and hands a bit quiet. I personally use a midsize grip (i use standard on everything else). Same idea but not to the extent of using a giant grip.

DST Tour 9.5 Diamana Whiteboard
909F3 15* 3 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
909F3 18* 5 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
'09 X-Forged 3-PW Project-X 6.0 Flighted
CG15 56* X-Tour 60* Abaco

I used a fat grip for about a year (~10 years ago) and loved it. Then I changed putters and just never put a fat one back on there...

I tried a Super Stroke once this summer, and yanked the thing off after 2 rounds. It was the kind that you screw in to your shaft. I thought it felt like complete junk. It didn't even feel solid when you putted the ball.

Some of the newer Super Strokes actually go on just like a normal grip - no screws or anything. I haven't tried one of those.

I agree with golfro.. I prefer the midsize right now.

I've got one. There have been tons of threads on this topic, most that I've commented in.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

would you think they would be effective?

short answer = yes! with caveats.

qualified... putting is "the game within the game." you have to have putted a TON to truly understand this statement. not saying people are incapable of understanding, just that you need to have a TON of putts under your belt in stressful conditions to understand it completely. putting is like surgery, except the really short ones where the line is automatic. you know - when you leave a kick-in and walk up without a single thought and knock it in with the back of the putter? but for putts of any length (4' + ) if there's any twitch, wrist movement, etc., you are likely to have more than one putt because of a flawed stroke (wrist movement, looking up, push, pull, etc). the idea of the large putter grip is simple. imo, it takes the hands and wrists out of it and thusly allows you to feel the pendulum stroke which is held together by the triangle formed at setup (shoulders down to grip). if you feel this stroke, you are more likely to connect with it, and if you connect with it, you are more apt to maintain it thru the stroke. when you do this, your stroke is really good. moreoever, if you maintain right wrist bend and your straight left wrist, the large putter grip is the best training aid i've found. i keep two putters assembled with the largest super stroke grips available (scotty newport 2 and a wh#7). i also have the same style without the large grips. at home and at other times i'll take the large gripped putters out and this let's me groove the putting stroke. i can comfortably switch between small and large because the stroke it promotes is known and superior, imo. btw, did you watch the pga grand slam? david toms switched to a semi-large super stroke grip a few weeks ago. he was putting really well. the white lettering on his grip was already worn, which to me signifies he has been putting with it for quite some time. and last night was spot watching a recording of the asian amateur... noticed a number of japanese golfers with large putting grips. i think the world is onto this large grip thing... in closing, if the "kid" you played kicked your a**, or made clutch putts that made you think "that was a clutch putt" don't pay heed to the stigma "oh that guy can't putt so he's got to use that retarded grip", then go out and buy one.
  • Upvote 1

SLDR 8.5°, Fujikura Speeder 6.2 VC X SLDR 15°, Black Tie 8M3 X SLDR 17°, Black Tie HM3 95X Tour Preferred MC 4 - PW (DG Pro X100) Tour Preferred 52, 56, 50 (DG Pro X100) Daytona 62 Lethal

I got one at the PGA Tour show in Orlando a couple years ago..came with a DVD for visual instruction.....put it on my regular putter and tried it for a couple weeks......it seemed like I lost all feel on the stroke....kept coming up short....so I went back to a standard putter grip.....much better. The experiment cost me about $30 plus replacing the grip on my putter.

My favorite grip is the old style leather grip on my old Wilson putter. It is round at the top and flat on top in the middle. My second favorite is the Ping style, but in a wrap rather than slick.

I have limited experience, but did try a friends who had one on his Scotty. Like fozcycle said, I lost feel with it. I am sure if I was having putting problems, I'd try anything though.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I tried playing a Winn Excel Midsize Pistol Golf Grip for a while, and I seemed to lose the feel of the putter head. At first I loved it because it seemed to fit my hands really well, and it just felt more solid. But after playing with it for a while it seemed as if all of the weight in my putter was in my hands and not in my putter head not allowing me to create the pendulum needed to maintain the triangle between your shoulders and putter head. I then switched over to a smaller Golf Pride V-Rad Rivalry and I haven't looked back. I love the softness and tackiness of it. If you feel like the only reason why you're using a large grip is to take your wrists out of it, try wearing a bracelet (the rubberized ones like the Livestrong bracelets work the best) on either one or both wrists and put a pen or pencil on the outsides of your wrists between the bracelet and wrist. This will keep you from breaking your wrists and will keep that triangle in tact.

Tiger Shark makes a Super Stroke grip you speak of. The same (or similar grip) I suspect. I won't be using it. I do however have a Tiger Shark jumbo on my Rife Antigua and it is one of the best grips I have ever used. Large, but not crazy large. I am amazed with the feel, I worried about that before buying it. Just a great grip. Read more here...

http://www.tigersharkgolf.com/grips/utratac-jumbo/

If I'm not mistaken, I think Bo Van Pelt uses one.

I recently tried the "Fatso" version out. It felt great but awkward at the same time.

Driver: :cobra: BiO Cell (10.5º)

Wood: :ping: G15 3 (15.5°)

Hybrids: :callaway: Diablo Edge: 3 (21º), 4 (24º)

Irons: :callaway: Diablo Edge: 5-PW

Wedges: :cleveland:588 RTX CB 50º, Paradise Black Chrome II Sand Wedge 56º

I put a Lamkin Mega Paddle grip on my SC in the summer, it has made a big difference in my putting. The putter feels much more balanced in my hands, rather than having all of the weight at the bottom. This has helped me to better judge speed and distance on putts over 10 feet.

Driver & FW: Ping G10 12* Driver & 17* 4W w UST Proforce V2 HL Reg
Hybrids: Adams A7 19* & 22* w UST Mamiya ProForce AXIVCore Reg
Irons: MP-60 5 - 9 w Nippon Shaft 950GH Reg
Wedges: Eidolon 48* 52* 56* 60* w SCoR Graphite Reg
Putter: Scotty Cameron Red X3

Tiger Shark makes a Super Stroke grip you speak of. The same (or similar grip) I suspect. I won't be using it. I do however have a Tiger Shark jumbo on my Rife Antigua and it is one of the best grips I have ever used. Large, but not crazy large. I am amazed with the feel, I worried about that before buying it. Just a great grip. Read more here...

I just regripped my putter and put on that exact same grip. I haven't tried it out on the course yet, but I can already tell it's going to knock a few strokes off my score. It's great because it's large, but not jumbo-sized like the Super-strokes.

Driver: :cobra: BiO Cell (10.5º)

Wood: :ping: G15 3 (15.5°)

Hybrids: :callaway: Diablo Edge: 3 (21º), 4 (24º)

Irons: :callaway: Diablo Edge: 5-PW

Wedges: :cleveland:588 RTX CB 50º, Paradise Black Chrome II Sand Wedge 56º

Agreed. I had my Rife Antigua customized earlier this year by Kevin Colbert at putterplating. He put a UST shaft in it, high polish the head, red paint fill, some minor grinding, etc.. I was determined to find the perfect grip to go with it. Well, after the Iomic I had him put on didn't impress. I tried the midsize and jumbo Iomics. Wasn't a fan. Tried a few other grips. Hell, I almost bought a $100 Machine grip (aluminum). Nothing seemed to feel right. Literally went through 4 or 5 grips in a few months earlier this year. The guy in the golf shop is laughing at me. He put all the grips on. Finally he says, try this, all the guys coming in these days are asking for them. I had never even heard of Tiger Shark. Reluctantly I tell him to put it on, taking off a grip I had on for a week or two. It felt amazing!! Been using it ever since. Putting better than ever.

I've struggled with putting and particularly active hands for the last few months.

In spite this thread, I grabbed my white steel 2-ball from the basement and had the local Golf Galaxy throw on the Super Stroke Slim grip this afternoon. Spent a good hour and a half putter later in the day and the results are very encouraging!

In the Bag: TaylorMade R11 TP - TaylorMade R7 TP TS - Cleveland Halo - TM TP 2009 3-PW - Vokey SM 52 - Vokey SM 60 - Rife Barbados CS - ProV1x 

On the Computer:  Analyzr Pro 

I hope to try one out next season....not sure If i'd go with the fatso or the slightly slimmer one.......
A four foot putt to win never gets any less terrifying.
-David Feherty

If I ever get happy with myself for finishing 12th or 15th, someone needs to put my clubs away and I'll take up tiddlywinks.
-Ian Poulter

Note: This thread is 4933 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!