IGNORED

Usual 7 iron distances

Valleygolfer
Note: This thread is 4897 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

ha ha, that's pretty close for me!

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

ha ha, that's pretty close for me!

Only about 3 or 4 yards short for a straightforward, no wind, no hill, seven. DocWu... are there similar formulas for other clubs, so we can find out which clubs we hit well for our ages? Get to work!

:macgregor: V Foil 8.5*    :tmade: Mid Rescue 16*  -- :wilsonstaff: RM  2 thru Wedge -- :vokey: 56/10  -- :scotty_cameron: Studio Design 2  & a  :srixon: Z Star 

I hit my 7 iron about 235, but I never really take a full swing at it...so who knows?!?!

Current Gear Setup: Driver: TM R9 460, 9.5, Stiff - 3W: TM R9, 15, stiff - Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Black, 18, stiff - Irons: Callaway X Forged 09, 3-PW, PX 5.5 - SW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 54.14 - LW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 60.12 - Putter: PING Redwood Anser, 33in.

Ok, I went and played again at the same course today and on a par 5 495 yards, I duck hook a drive to to 200 yards and had to take a drop in the rough. I am 283 from the hole and there people on the green and I think it is save to hit. The lie is not propped up and the rough is about 2-3 inches long. I swing and hit it into the people on the green. GPS'd out at 308 yards. There was about a 10 mph wind that picked up about 100 yards out from the hole and the ball hit the flagstick that was laying down which probably stopped it from running off the green. They were actually amused at this because it was so nuts.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Take 960 and divide it by the square root of your age and that's how far you hit a 7 iron, give or take 10 yards.

Dang. My 2 year old neise can hit a 685yard 7-Iron. I gotta take her with me sometime!

Driver: taylormade.gif R9 Superdeep TP 8.5* - Aldila RIP 70x | 3-Wood: taylormade.gif R9 TP 15* - Diamana Blueboard 83x | Hybrid: taylormade.gif Rescue TP 19* - Motore F3 95x | Irons: taylormade.gif RAC TP MB 3-PW - Dynamic Gold x100 | Wedges: taylormade.gif TP xFT 54.12* and 60.10* - Dynamic Gold s400 | Putter:  ping.gif Karsten Anser - 33"

Read in Golf Mag that Jamie Sadlowski hits his 7i 240 yards. Powerful little man
In My cleveland.gif Executive Cart Bag:
Driver: taylormade.gifTour Burner 10.5* | cleveland.gifHiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Woods: cleveland.gifLauncher Comp 3W | Hibore 2i Hybrid
Irons: mizuno.gifMP-60 3-PW | cleveland.gifCG4 Tour 3-PW | Wedges: cleveland.gifCG10 56* and 60*
Putter: odyssey.gifWhite Hot XG #9 | bushnell.gifPinseeker Medalist Rangefinder | First Coast Golf Courses

You may have delofted the club, thats why you hit it alot futher, or you may have just caught it really flush.

I usually hit my 7Iron, 160-165M (have no idea what it is in yards) But then again if I want to do somthing fun, or if I have a bad swing, I can Deloft the club and make it say, the loft of a 5 Iron and it will go about the same distence a 5iron will, I could never get it consistent.

Driver: 909D3 8.5* Diamana White Board X
3 Wood: MP 630 15* GRAFALLOY PROLAUNCH RED X
Hybrid: 909H 19* "Real" VooDoo X
3 - P: MP-68 KBS Tour Black Nickel X
56* 10 Wedge Vr60* 06 Wedge: VrPutter: Custom Made.Golf Ball: TOUR B330SI am the greatest, I said that even before I knew I was....

With my old set of irons, I really nailed a couple of 3 irons while trying to swing "nice and easy" for a layup. Good shot normally went 185, but I knocked them about 220 - got myself into trouble both times.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I have been inconsistent lately with my mid and short irons. Earlier in the year when I was hitting them better I could get 155-160 out of a 7 iron. Now one time i might hit it that far and the next might be 125 yards. I would say I use my 7 iron from about 135-145 yards not including wind. Ive recently been using my new 5 hybrid a lot from shots anywhere from around 150 up to 170 yards as I just hit it better than my 6 or 7 iron, only thing ive used my 6 iron for lately is low punch shots.

Driver-Taylormade Burner Ti 420 cc 10.5 deg reg flex
3 wood-orlimar rcx 14 deg
Hybrids-warrior golf 20 deg, 23 deg and 26 deg
6-pw-AFFINITY / ORLIMAR HT2 irons steel shafts, reg flex, 56 deg tour series wedge
Putter-Rife 2 Bar Hybrid Mallet...

Somedays for me I just hit it farther. I had a situation like that a week or two ago. I had 69 to the pin (range finder verified) with a pretty good wind behind but around 25 feet up the hill so I thought the two cancelled each other out. Long was dead so I just hit a good 64 which stock goes right at 67-68 yards and I can get up to 75 yards with it in the right conditions. I just air mailed the green, made double. It must have flew 80 yards and I didn't thin it. I thought there was no way I could hit it over, if anything I thought I'd be short and that was fine as the green is severely sloped from front to back.

I really don't like make doubles after two very well struck shots but I've made pars after two bad ones before. That's golf.

Brian

170 is my 7 iron distance. 6ft2.5, 190lbs
What I Play:
Wilson Mini Stand Bag | PING G10, 10.5°, Proforce V2 HL S | PING G5, 15°, 18°, Aldila NV 75 S | PING G5, 19°, Aldila VS Proto By You 80 S
Mizuno MX200 4-PW S | Ping Tour W 50/12 X | Ping Tour W 58/TS X | A selection of putters, all 35.5 inches.

Nice post Lefty. You're clearly a far better player than I am but I know what you mean. It's like when I used to play a lot of tennis. Some days I just felt loose and relaxed and I was really cranking those serves to good effect - flat, deep and hard. Other times I was trying to muscle it (e.g. facing a strong attacking player on the other side) which always slowed me down (as in golf) or I just didn't have the rhythm/timing right.

This is one of the reasons that golf is such a fascinating game. If you don't show up with your A game you still gotta make the most of what you got. Which means adjusting your distance expectations, one way or the other.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

Ive made par on the same hole 3 times in the last 2 weeks after hitting a drive in the wrong fairway(including yesterday). Once last week I duck hooked my drive 2 fairways over and still managed to to make par(not ob at this course). And then sometimes Ill perfectly place a drive and screw up a wedge shot from 100 yards from the fairway(made bogey yesterday doing that).

Driver-Taylormade Burner Ti 420 cc 10.5 deg reg flex
3 wood-orlimar rcx 14 deg
Hybrids-warrior golf 20 deg, 23 deg and 26 deg
6-pw-AFFINITY / ORLIMAR HT2 irons steel shafts, reg flex, 56 deg tour series wedge
Putter-Rife 2 Bar Hybrid Mallet...

General distances might be nice, but as soon as you throw in some variables like wind, non-even lies, fairway/rough, uphill/downhill shots, temperature, moistness or density of air (e.g. when playing above sea level), shot typ, what kind of ball you are playing, you will end up with a wide spectrum for your distances with one club. If you play an even golf course day in day out with the same weather all time, you have a "usual distance", otherwise you might up end up with a bandwidth from 150 - 200y in my case and you have to decide how to make it right - but thats the fun of the game, isnt it? But as somebody else said, if you dont hit it consistent and with proper compression a lot of things wont be a concern.

Burner 9°
FW Burner 15°
Burner Rescue 19°
MP67 4-PW
CG10 50° CG12 DSG 54° & 60°

Note: This thread is 4897 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!