IGNORED

I am a driving range hero.

Note: This thread is 4899 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I can't seem to bring my game to the course. I offically concluded this today after doing the following: Hit two buckets, played nine holes, hit another two buckets and played another nine holes.

When I was hitting on the range I was hitting everything perfect. Most all of my drives were hitting the middle of the back net, and most all of my irons were purely struck and the balls coming off of them were dead on their respective yardage signs. This has been every range session for me for the past few weeks. I could make anyone think I was scratch by hitting at the range.

When I went to play on the course, I was an entirely different golfer. Hooking drives, catching irons fat and thin, flubbing pitch shots, etc. I just can't get my head in the f*****g game. There is a tremedous mental block that prevents me from taking my ability to the course.

BTW, at the range I'm not hitting off mats, so it's not like it's easier than the course. It's straight grass, so this is definitely a mental thing.

Anyone who can give me some tips or knows how to stop this would be very helpful.
Driver: taylormade.gif R9 Superdeep TP 8.5* - Aldila RIP 70x | 3-Wood: taylormade.gif R9 TP 15* - Diamana Blueboard 83x | Hybrid: taylormade.gif Rescue TP 19* - Motore F3 95x | Irons: taylormade.gif RAC TP MB 3-PW - Dynamic Gold x100 | Wedges: taylormade.gif TP xFT 54.12* and 60.10* - Dynamic Gold s400 | Putter:  ping.gif Karsten Anser - 33"

Practice range doesn't have the pressure of being on the course. When at the range you are not penalized for a bad shot which lets your mind be at ease. You are probably more relaxed and have just one thought of hitting your target while at the range. Whereas on the course, your thoughts might be clouded with a lot of stuff such as how you had hit a pull hook the previous shot.

When at the range are you going through your regular shot routine that you do at the course? Are you hurrying your shots? Don't worry too much about not being able to bring the game to the course. By you hitting so many beautiful shots at the range builds confidence and once you get over the hump you will be playing great on the course.

« Keith »

If you're not doing it already, I would suggest not hitting the same club twice in a row at the range. For example, if you're hitting 20 drivers in a row, you should stop doing that. It's obviously easier to hit a driver when you're doing over and over again, and not changing clubs. On the course, you go from driver to iron quite often.

So start using the range like it's a course. Hit a driver. Then hit a 9-iron. Maybe hit a chip next. Go back to driver. Then hit a 5-iron off the deck. Then hit a 5-wood. Then hit a full pitching wedge.

Simulate the course a little.

Constantine

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm the driving range hero's sidekick.

I think alot of golfers go through this in some level or other. Your's is more extreme but it probably has to do w/ hitting continuously on the same lie, same club, lack of pressure, etc etc.

Driver: Taylormade r7
Irons: Mizuno MX-200
Wedges: 60*8 & 56*14*
3,5 wood: r7
Putter: Odyssey white ice

Practice range doesn't have the pressure of being on the course. When at the range you are not penalized for a bad shot which lets your mind be at ease. You are probably more relaxed and have just one thought of hitting your target while at the range. Whereas on the course, your thoughts might be clouded with a lot of stuff such as how you had hit a pull hook the previous shot.

Yea, that makes sense. Next time I'm playing I'll line up my shots, then just focus on the ball and pretend I'm at the range with no pressure. I'll probably walk nine tomorrow and see how this works.

When at the range are you going through your regular shot routine that you do at the course? Are you hurrying your shots? Don't worry too much about not being able to bring the game to the course. By you hitting so many beautiful shots at the range builds confidence and once you get over the hump you will be playing great on the course.

I don't practice swing at all on the range. And, come to think of it when I'm on the course I don't even have a consistent pre-shot routine. This might have something to do with it, too. I need to experiment with different pre-shot routines and see which one works.

Driver: taylormade.gif R9 Superdeep TP 8.5* - Aldila RIP 70x | 3-Wood: taylormade.gif R9 TP 15* - Diamana Blueboard 83x | Hybrid: taylormade.gif Rescue TP 19* - Motore F3 95x | Irons: taylormade.gif RAC TP MB 3-PW - Dynamic Gold x100 | Wedges: taylormade.gif TP xFT 54.12* and 60.10* - Dynamic Gold s400 | Putter:  ping.gif Karsten Anser - 33"

If you're not doing it already, I would suggest not hitting the same club twice in a row at the range. For example, if you're hitting 20 drivers in a row, you should stop doing that. It's obviously easier to hit a driver when you're doing over and over again, and not changing clubs. On the course, you go from driver to iron quite often.

That's a pretty good idea, I ought to try that as well.

Thanks for the tips guys. Keep 'em coming

I also want to add that clearly there is a time and place to be hitting 20 or so drivers in a row -- if you're working on something specifically. But there is also something to be said for switching clubs for every swing. It's been suggested quite often here, but it helps to just visualize the course you're about to play (assuming you know it well), and playing that course at the range by using the clubs you know you'll be using.

Also, the driving range tends to put added pressure on your round as well because your expectations of playing well goes up. Just being aware of this can help overcome it though. Lower your expectations a touch and just try to have fun out there.

Constantine

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Taylormade, I just want to add that you are in a great situation! Example, I'm only 11 index but I've never been under 9.0 . Basically shooting the same scores for over 5 yrs. Starting golf late and now with my age and physical limitations I know I'll never be scratch. The guys I know that are like you, can drop a 5 iron soft from 200 yds or hit 300 off the tee are only double digits from limited experience. Most are half my age and the dedicated ones will be low single digits or scratch in a short time. In other words playing more and learning WHERE TO MISS is key. If your a 10 now and have those consistency probs. with more experience you'll be going LOW in no time. Good luck!

my advice would be to spend less time on the driving range and more time actually playing.

i'm the opposite way. i go to the driving range and can't seem to focus. i just mindlessly pound balls and they seem to fly all over the place but when i get out on the course things come together.

R9 Driver and 17* 4 wood
mizuno.gif MX-23 (5-PW)
CG16 52*, 58*

White Ice #7

Yea, that makes sense. Next time I'm playing I'll line up my shots, then just focus on the ball and pretend I'm at the range with no pressure. I'll probably walk nine tomorrow and see how this works.

Alongside the other tips that the other guys gave, I think you hit one of your problems on the head here. Not only does having a pre-shot routine help give yourself a consistent set-up, it also can help clear your head of any thoughts that have nothing to do with the shot at hand.

Bag: Pioneer LC
In the Bag
G15 Driver 9*, Aldila Serrano (Stiff)
G15 4 Wood, Aldila Serrano (Stiff)
G15 Hybrids 20*, 23*, AWT (Stiff)G15 5-9, PW, UW, SW, AWT (Stiff) MP T-10 56*10*Karsten "Ping MyDay" putter

Played 9 today and fiddled with different pre-shot routines, and I seemed to do best with no practice swings. I also tried visualizing myself being at the range which also seemed to help. Gonna hit 2 buckets tomorrow and play 9 Tuesday (it's going to be 70 degrees!) and see what I can do.

I can't seem to bring my game to the course. I offically concluded this today after doing the following: Hit two buckets, played nine holes, hit another two buckets and played another nine holes.

When my friends tell someone who notices me practicing my handicap, they often get a I don't belive you response. I also struggle with bringing my game to the course, exept for putting, there is a big difference. Staying confident and relaxed, keeping your rythym and not over thinking is tough for a lot of us, especially for those of who feel the solution to almost any problem is work harder / try harder. I prefer to look at that even after playing for quite a long time I still have the potential to shave several strokes off my handicap.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

i took up golf about seven years ago without the benefit of a driving range. the only ranges immediately available were the course ranges, and at all of those you got a downright puny bag of balls for an astronomical price. i saw that and said to myself "fpht, i can just go walk 18 holes for a few dollars more." so that pretty well was the route i took and stayed with. very rarely do i get to a range, once a month at most, but in season i play probably 100 holes or more a week, and weather allowing in off-season, i'll get at least 36 holes every weekend. as it is, i've gone from your standard hacker shooting around 110 on average when i first started to a single-digit handicap, and actually shot my first sub-par round just this past weekend (69 on a par 70). so i'm not convinced the driving range is as necessary as it's typically made out to be. i'm not against the range, mind you, not at all. if i had one at my disposal i'd be there all the time. my particular case just dictated that it was more feasible/enjoyable for me to simply play instead of practice. playing actually became practice after awhile. every time i go out i'm focused on improving something. my irons weren't good enough last time, or my drives were fading too much, or what have you. i go ahead and keep score, but every shot is kind of mentally viewed as a means to improvement, ie, "whoops. pushed that drive, let's try (this) on the next hole and see if that fixes it. okay, hooked that one, let's try (this) on the next hole and see what that does. okay, that one flew pretty straight, we'll try that again next hole. straight again, okay, good deal." that sorta thing.

I think I found a solution. I befriended a guy who works at my home course and talked to him a little bit about my problem. He basically gave me the "practice less, play more" response, but he says he can hook me up and let me play some holes for practice rounds for free instead of going to the range. I'm definitely going to start doing this instead, but still hit a bucket or two if I have something specific I'm working on.

Did the exact opposite. Hit a bucket of balls at the range yesterday in which I couldn't figure out what the hell I was doing on my drives.

Took the course today and missed only 1 or 2 fairways with my driver all day.

Waiting out the 2 feet of snow that just dropped on the course....

I struggled with the exact same thing for about a year. I could put the ball anywhere I wanted on the range but couldnt hit a fairway or green on the course. I was at a point that I over did it on the range. It is all a mental thing with me. After a few months of bad rounds I decided that I would not hit anymore range ball before I played and see if that worked. All I do now is stretch and get my muscles loose then step on the tee box and play. I went from an 11 to a 3 hanicap in a matter of 8 months. I dont think about my swing anymore when I play. I just try and feel my shots and go with it. I have not hit a bucket of range balls in 4 months. I just play the course. My mental approach to the game is sooo much better now. Just a tip....if you ever get up on the first tee box and are thinking about your swing you need to go home. At least that holds true for me.

Note: This thread is 4899 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!