IGNORED

Golfer Elimination Game

DaSportsGuy
Note: This thread is 4856 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Are comments allowed now since the game is over? Shocking who won right? I know its just a silly game, but how are there still this many Tiger fans out there? Other than his amazing ability to do things with a golf ball that others only dream about, what makes him so great? His "dynamic" personality? Being a "great" role model? Was this just something else for Tiger fans to be like, "O, no way, Tiger won again, he's the greatest!"

Tiger's talent and driver (hehe) are amazing. I love watching him play at his best. Since there is no real criteria for voting for against any player then everybody is using different standards to vote for or against. Sure, it was a completely useless exercise but fun none the less.

If you want to do it with other greats I'd suggest some judging criteria be created. Things like "who do you think was the best ball striker" or "best championship golfer" (but I guess thats Tiger and Jack just based on majors and total wins). Something where the decision is still subjective but everybody is gauging the same aspect(s)/quality.

In the bag:
Driver:  Burner 10.5* Stiff     ||    3 Wood:  Burner 13* Stiff     ||     Hybrids:  Slingshot 17*, 21*, 24* Utility

Irons:  MX-300 5-PW     ||     Gap & Sand Wedge:  Spin-Milled Black Nickel 52.08* / 58.08*

Putter:  VP-09 Blade 33"     ||     Ball:  Penta TP

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Tiger's talent and driver (hehe) are amazing."

Well played sir. I say we come up with a list of the top 25 all time golfers and see where Tiger ends up there. Might be tough, don't know how we come up with the right 25, but theres gotta be some sorta list out there.

Yes, the guy is amazing with a golf club, but theres gotta be more (style, personality, etc) to having a favorite golfer than just that, no?

Driver: Taylormade Burner TP (2007 model)
Fairway Wood: Callaway Steelhead III 4+
Hybrid: Sonartec MD 19
Irons: Mizuno MP 33s  4-PW
Wedges: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled wedges: 60, 56, 52Putter: Odyssey DFX 9900

• Administrator
Other than his amazing ability to do things with a golf ball that others only dream about, what makes him so great?

You answered your own question.

Plus the fact that he's not a robot on the golf course. I couldn't care less about his off-the-course stuff.
If you want to do it with other greats I'd suggest some judging criteria be created. Things like "who do you think was the best ball striker" or "best championship golfer" (but I guess thats Tiger and Jack just based on majors and total wins).

I think that'd take the fun out of it.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Are comments allowed now since the game is over? Shocking who won right? I know its just a silly game, but how are there still this many Tiger fans out there? Other than his amazing ability to do things with a golf ball that others only dream about, what makes him so great? His "dynamic" personality? Being a "great" role model? Was this just something else for Tiger fans to be like, "O, no way, Tiger won again, he's the greatest!"

I must have misunderstood the point of the game. I thought I was voting for who I liked best as a golfer. What does the other stuff have to do with it?

I must have misunderstood the point of the game. I thought I was voting for who I liked best as a golfer. What does the other stuff have to do with it?

There was no point to the game other than who you personally prefer - the criteria were up to the individual voter. Could I honestly say I like Luke Donald's golf game more than Tiger Woods? Specific aspects probably, but overall it's no contest. That's not how I voted.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I voted simply on who plays a game that I enjoy. The people I knocked off points for were mostly for having snotty attitudes.

I think we should get a new one going with a top 20 golfers of all time list and play that one out. We all know the names at the top of the list right now, but who would stand the test of time?

• Administrator
We don't need to play this game with just names.

You can play it with course design elements. PGA Tour events or courses or holes. Brands. Drinks. Whatever...

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I voted simply on who plays a game that I enjoy. The people I knocked off points for were mostly for having snotty attitudes.

i had a poll a year or two ago called "battle royale" where i put up uh, i think 10 of the greats in golf, going between bobby jones up to tiger. though mine was a "if all these players were competing in their prime with the same equipment, who would win?" tiger won by a pretty outstanding margin, if memory serves, with ben hogan coming in second.

i had a poll a year or two ago called "battle royale" where i put up uh, i think 10 of the greats in golf, going between bobby jones up to tiger. though mine was a "if all these players were competing in their prime with the same equipment, who would win?" tiger won by a pretty outstanding margin, if memory serves, with ben hogan coming in second.

How about who had the best decade. Pick any 10 year period in a player's career (or several 10 year periods in the case of Jack). The results might be surprising.

Not sure it would go like this, but imagine Tiger > Walter > Ben > Tom > Ben > Jack > Byron > Gene > Sammy > Seve etc.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Well, I guess the reality then is that despite everything, Tiger remains the most popular golfer at the moment. I expect he will remain so for a quite a while as long as he's active in golf. Possibly long after depending on how his career finishes.

This was fun. I really didn't have golfers I didn't like on the list. I figured I would pick the guy I wanted to win the most and then add negative points to those I thought would have the best chance to beat him out. Of course that meant Tiger. He is my second favorite on the list but the biggest threat to who I wanted to win.

I wonder if Graeme would have done as well in this if he hadn't just won? Not discounting his talent, but I bet his recent success and the great finish against Tiger pushed him further along than he would have otherwise.

SRJ
In my bag:

Driver: FT-5, 9° stiff
Wood: Big Bertha 3W/5W
Irons: X-20 TourWedges: X Tour 52°/56°Hybrids: Idea Pro 2/3/4Putter: Black Series #2Ball: NXT Extreme/NXT Tour

Like Iacas said, perhaps this could be done with different courses around the world?

Driver: Taylormade R11 set to 8*
3 Wood: R9 15* Motore Stiff
Hybrid: 19° 909 H Voodoo
Irons: 4-PW AP2 Project X 5.5
52*, 60* Vokey SM Chrome

Putter: Odyssey XG #7

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

Tiger Woods(8)

DJ was going strong there, but he really choked in the end. Had a real advantage over McDowell and should've finished at least 2nd, but he blow it all in about 3 holes, er, posts.

Did not close that one out well. Fitting, eh?

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

DJ was going strong there, but he really choked in the end. Had a real advantage over McDowell and should've finished at least 2nd, but he blow it all in about 3 holes, er, posts.

His golfer elimination season ended with grounding his club in a "bunker", a back 9 blowout, and a missed playoff.

Like Iacas said, perhaps this could be done with different courses around the world?

Yea that's what I'm thinking will be next. If anyone can find a solid list of top courses around the world or just in the US link me up. I've been snooping around trying to find a good list but can't seem to find a good one.

Career Bests:

9 Holes--37 @ The Fairways at Arrowhead-Front(+2)

18 Holes--80 @ Carroll Meadows Golf Course(+9)

Home Course:

1) The Fairways at Arrowhead

2) Mayfair Country Club

Golfer Elimination Game:

1) Tiger Woods-11
2) Graeme McDowell
3) Dustin Johnson

Career Bests:

9 Holes--37 @ The Fairways at Arrowhead-Front(+2)

18 Holes--80 @ Carroll Meadows Golf Course(+9)

Home Course:

1) The Fairways at Arrowhead

2) Mayfair Country Club

Note: This thread is 4856 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!