IGNORED

Insanity vs. P90X

Yukari
Note:Β This thread is 4656 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

Originally Posted by TN94z

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetFan1983

It's your total calorie total at the end of the day that matters, not necessarily what you are eating.

Be careful giving this statement as advice though.Β  This can easily be taken out of context. You need your macros to be on track as well, like your fats, protein, and carbs.Β  So just saying that you calorie total at the end of the day is what matters is not necessarily true.Β  You need your ratios to be correct as well.

And you just took it out of context. And a big part of "your ratios being correct" is understanding how many calories are actually in everything you are eating.

Quote:

PS- I had maybe two steaks over that six month period. You can still eat them on a diet if you just account for them calorie wise. It's your total calorie total at the end of the day that matters, not necessarily what you are eating. Eating healthy certainly helps though, and healthier foods are more filling.

I'm talking about how one can fit foods they like into a diet as long as they account for them calorie wise.

People lose weight all the time eating the oddest things though. Is it as healthy as eating the "right" things in the proper proportions? No. But is it as unhealthy as just starving yourself to lose weight? No as well. Not even close. It's possible to lose weight eating only McDonald's if you follow portion control. Would I recommend it? Of course not. But I'm saying that it's possible, and once a person understands that, they can better understand how to build their diet/nutrition plan that is realistic.

But yes, like you said, eating a balanced, healthy diet in the proper portions is the best way to go for a number of reasons. Unhealthy foods get broken down by the body very easily, and you can get hungry again too soon after your meal.

Constantine

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And you just took it out of context. And a big part of "your ratios being correct" is understanding how many calories are actually in everything you are eating.

I'm talking about how one can fit foods they like into a diet as long as they account for them calorie wise.

People lose weight all the time eating the oddest things though. Is it as healthy as eating the "right" things in the proper proportions? No. But is it as unhealthy as just starving yourself to lose weight? No as well. Not even close. It's possible to lose weight eating only McDonald's if you follow portion control. Would I recommend it? Of course not. But I'm saying that it's possible, and once a person understands that, they can better understand how to build their diet/nutrition plan that is realistic.

But yes, like you said, eating a balanced, healthy diet in the proper portions is the best way to go for a number of reasons. Unhealthy foods get broken down by the body very easily, and you can get hungry again too soon after your meal.

Not trying to hurt your feelings.Β  And no I actually didn't take it out of context, I took it for what it said.....I was being nice.Β  The sentence was wrong. You are correct in knowing how many calories is in everything you are eating, but your calorie intake at the end of the day is not all you need to be concerned with.

Eating 2500 calories from McDonalds is not the same as eating 2500 calories of lean meat, veggies, efa's, etc...

And I can see where this is going, so that is all I'll say about it.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Originally Posted byΒ TN94z

Not trying to hurt your feelings.

That's really not necessary. You're reading into stuff that's not there. I enjoy the conversation.

Eating 2500 calories from McDonalds is not the same as eating 2500 calories of lean meat, veggies, efa's, etc...

No, I agree. The latter option is much better.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TN94z View Post

The sentence was wrong. You are correct in knowing how many calories is in everything you are eating, but your calorie intake at the end of the day is not all you need to be concerned with.

Again, I didn't say that it was the only thing to be concerned with. I did illustrate a bunch throughout my previous posts how eating healthy is the way to go for a number of reasons.

Constantine

So here is the deal.Β  I am in week 3 of my new "diet", i.e., eating balanced well portioned meals throughout the day rather than 3 big meals.Β  The first week, I think I went overboard with protein.Β  Dropped 80% of bread products (my favorite) and stayed with meat mostly, e.g., beef jerky for snack instead of donuts or muffins.Β  Did okay, but didn't like it one bit.Β  Last week, I balanced out with more fruits and vegetables with some bread products (but keeping the portions small and not over doing it).Β  The result: lost 3 pounds so far.

Like I said, I always did have some abs definition but felt that it wasn't as clear as I would have liked.Β  So far I haven't seen any difference.Β  We'll see in few more weeks...

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex:Β EZone BladesΒ (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron: Β 2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Originally Posted by Yukari

Like I said, I always did have some abs definition but felt that it wasn't as clear as I would have liked.Β  So far I haven't seen any difference.Β  We'll see in few more weeks...

I exercised and dieted my ass off for six months and didn't come close to seeing a full six pack. I uncovered the entire top half of it, but the bottom was still covered in fat. Just a warning that this process takes a lot longer than you think, even if you're doing everything right.

One's time frame to success is obviously different for everyone based on factors such as genetics, your exercise program, diet program, and how much fat you have on you at your starting point, but in general, it's tough sledding for everyone slightly overweight attempting to reveal their entire six pack. Stay patient and take it one day at a time.

Quote:

Not trying to hurt your feelings.Β  And no I actually didn't take it out of context, I took it for what it said.....I was being nice.Β  The sentence was wrong. You are correct in knowing how many calories is in everything you are eating, but your calorie intake at the end of the day is not all you need to be concerned with.

Just going back to this because I feel my point wasn't fully illustrated. Obviously there are tons more vitamins and healthy stuff in the 2500 calories of lean meat, veggies, etc. However -- a calorie is a calorie. Its a measurement of the energy value of food. Therefore, if 2500 calories is less than the amount of calories your body is burning per day, then you cannot gain weight. It doesn't matter if you're eating McDonald's or salad. It's scientifically impossible. If that 2500 calories from McDonald's is the only thing you'll be eating all day that is. Therein lies the rub.

You see, eating two big Macs, a large fries, and a medium soda is about 1800 calories. If you know that you should be eating no more than 2900 calories per day (for example) in order to maintain eating at some kind of healthy calorie deficit, then that means for the rest of the day, you are only allowed to eat 900 more calories maximum. Most people can't maintain that kind of discipline.

Now, a massive salad with olive oil, lemon, salt and pepper on it, with lean chicken breast thrown in, is really only like 500 calories max. And the meal is just as, if not more filling, than the 1800 calories of McDonald's. The difference obviously is, after this massive salad, you still have 2400 calories of eating you can be doing over the rest of the day without compromising your weight loss goals.

If you under-eat unhealthy food, you will not gain weight. If you overeat healthy food, the unused energy gets stored as fat. People need to understand that.

That's why counting calories is so important if you want to slim your waist as efficiently as possible. If you're just eyeballing things and have no clue what you're doing, you're easily going to be overeating or under-eating. Knowing exactly how much you're eating per day was very important to me because I knew when it was okay to grab some more food late in the day (because I was below my general target number), or if I was eating too much and should scale it back at night.

Again, I'm talking purely about weight management. I'm not talking about being the most healthy person you can be.

If you understand how calories work, you can incorporate desserts and other cheat foods into your diet without compromising your goals.

This is what I meant when I originally said, "it's your total calorie total at the end of the day that matters, not necessarily what you are eating."

Constantine

Okay guys,Β  enough talk about counting calories.

My wife and I areΒ getting ready to start what will be our 10th or 11th round of P90x tomorow.Β  Who's in?

I finished P90X and loved it its perfect for anyone becuase you can modify how you want to lift.Β  I used dumbbells, resistance bands, medicine balls, and machines while following the routines.Β  Improved my golf game as well.

Thanks for the warning.Β  It's almost discouraging to hear that.

I exercised and dieted my ass off for six months and didn't come close to seeing a full six pack. I uncovered the entire top half of it, but the bottom was still covered in fat. Just a warning that this process takes a lot longer than you think, even if you're doing everything right.

Don

Quote:

Genetics and your body type (endo,meso, ecto) will greatly affect how your abs will show. To get great ab definition, you have to have a strict cutting diet to achieve a lean percent of body fat.

If you check out bodybuilders in the offseason, they are often high in body fat % in their bulking stages. When comes to on season, they start eating a strict clean diet to shave off the fat

I personally am starting P90X next week, along with trying to run about 1-2 miles a couple times a week.Β  It will be hard running when theres snow here in NY!

Will let everyone know how it turns out!

A four foot putt to win never gets any less terrifying.
-David Feherty
Β 
If I ever get happy with myself for finishing 12th or 15th, someone needs to put my clubs away and I'll take up tiddlywinks.
-Ian Poulter

Thanks for that info. I did not know that. :-\

Don

How has it been going so far?

And hi for a body builder is 10%.Β  That is really lean.

I haven't been good at my diet at all.Β  I'm up at 200 right now and I was down to 187.Β Β  I just am having a hard time in the winter b/c I'm not out of the house.

Brian

Originally Posted by gwlee7

Okay guys,Β  enough talk about counting calories.

My wife and I areΒ getting ready to start what will be our 10th or 11th round of P90x tomorow.Β  Who's in?

I completed two rounds of classic last winter/spring. Great job being on rounds 10/11. I'm going to start up a new round, hopefully, in the next week or so. I'm concerned it will be a failed round because of a couple nagging injuries I have, but I'm going to give it a go anyway because they're very minor. It sucks if I aggravate them-- and I'll stop the program if I do-- but I'm going to take that chance.

Quote:

Haha, sorry, man. I'm definitely not trying to discourage you. At least though now you know why the process is so challenging. But hey, if it was easy, everyone would have a six pack. In ten months, I still ended up losing 39 lbs. That's almost 20% of my original starting weight. I certainly don't regret anything, even though at many times I wanted to quit.

The good news is this though. When you lose weight the right way, it takes a loooooong time to put that weight back on. Let's say it takes you two years to achieve a full six pack. Well, it's gonna take a looooooooong time to put that weight back on again. You get a huge window to just eat whatever you want for a really long time. Longer if you're smart about it and continue to exercise semi-regularly.

Originally Posted by radMR2

If you check out bodybuilders in the offseason, they are often high in body fat % in their bulking stages. When comes to on season, they start eating a strict clean diet to shave off the fat

I would recommend everyone stick to a healthy calorie deficit in conjunction with their workout program. I personally like to gain muscle and burn fat at the same time (not exactly the same time, within the same 1-6 day period).

The fact is if you're gaining fat, then you're overeating.

Constantine

Originally Posted by Leftygolfer

How has it been going so far?

And hi for a body builder is 10%.Β  That is really lean.

I haven't been good at my diet at all.Β  I'm up at 200 right now and I was down to 187.Β Β  I just am having a hard time in the winter b/c I'm not out of the house.

At the beginning of my program (mid December), my body fat was at 17.8% (by one of those weight scale that also measures your body fat % via electrical conductance).

So far in about a little less than a month, I've lost only 3 pounds but my body fat percentage has dropped to 17.3%.Β  So I lost body fat but gained muscle mass.Β  I can feel the difference in my abs.Β  Before, I can grab a quite of bit of fat, but that has noticeably decreased now.Β  But still not seeing a clear six-pack definition as I would like.

But I will keep in mind what JetFan1983 has said...it will take a long time to get to where I want.Β  I am not going to go extreme, but will have a sensible diet and maybe one day of semi-cheating per week.

By the way, JetFan1983--congratulations on yesterday's Jets victory over the Colts!

Don

Jet fan,

P90x has really become such a part of our daily lives that we feel weird when we stop doing it.

Remember, there are lots of ways to do P90x and if you need to use bands instead of weights to help through an injury, who cares.Β  In reading this thread, what has impressed me is all of you guys knowledge and commitment to trying to eat right.Β  While my wife and I try to eat healthy, we also look at doing p90x as the way in which we can still stop by Dunkin' Donuts or make a pan of brownies occaisionally.Β  Of course in my case, there is also the ice cream.Β  Ice cream is a major food group isn't it?

Weight has never really been my problem as I am 5'11 1/2" and weighed in this morning at 179.8 lbs.Β  Eating right though is the real challege for me.

Good luck to everyone on all of thier goals for this year.

At the beginning of my program (mid December), my body fat was at 17.8% (by one of those weight scale that also measures your body fat % via electrical conductance).

So far in about a little less than a month, I've lost only 3 pounds but my body fat percentage has dropped to 17.3%.Β  So I lost body fat but gained muscle mass.Β  I can feel the difference in my abs.Β  Before, I can grab a quite of bit of fat, but that has noticeably decreased now.Β  But still not seeing a clear six-pack definition as I would like.

But I will keep in mind what JetFan1983 has said...it will take a long time to get to where I want.Β  I am not going to go extreme, but will have a sensible diet and maybe one day of semi-cheating per week.

By the way, JetFan1983--congratulations on yesterday's Jets victory over the Colts!

It does take a long time for sure. My guy said if I'd stick with the diet 100% I could lose 10 pounds of fat in a month. The best I did with him was I went from 17.4 to 14.7 in 6 weeks. But I haven't stuck with it. I don't have the motivation and eating ulra healthy is expensive. Lean protein is high, nuts are expensive, and fruit is too. Plus i'm married and she doesn't care. She's happy with me at 200 as it is still mucher thinner than I was two years ago. I still eat well and lift alot but I have way to many cheats to see change in my body fat. I'm getting thicker in good places, just not leaner.

Brian

The only accurate way to measure your BMI is by a skin-fold measurement (http://sportsmedicine.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi=1/XJ&zTi;=1&sdn;=sportsmedicine&cdn;=health&tm;=34&f;=11&su;=p284.9.336.ip_p736.9.336.ip_&tt;=2&bt;=0&bts;=0&zu;=http%3A//www.exrx.net/Calculators/BodyComp.html)

The best thing anyone can give up is soda and beer.Β  Full of empty calories.Β  I haven't drank a soda in 3 years.Β  I lost 10 pounds in 3 weeks just by cutting that out of my diet, went from 180 to 170.Β  I do not drink beer anymore either except for the occasional party (I'm in college) maybe once every month.Β  My freshman year I was 180 now 3 years later I am 155 and 5'8''.Β  I do not eat any processed foods either AKA anything out a box basically.Β  My BMI is 7% now.

Note:Β This thread is 4656 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!