IGNORED

For those with extra wedges ... what clubs do you eliminate ?

Note: This thread is 4392 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I yank my 3i for a 20deg hybrid and throw an extra wedge (52deg) in the bag.  So my setup looks like this

Driver

3wood

3H

4-PW

52, 56, 60 wedges

Putter

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm back and forth on this one right now.

Option #1

Driver

3W

3h

4-PW

52*

56*

60*

Option #2

Driver

3W

2h

3h

4-PW

54*

60*

Option #3

Driver

3W

2h

3h

4-PW

52*

56*

I've never been a 60* wedge type guy, but the course I joined calls for one too often for me to leave it at home.  My PW is a 46* MP-63, which leaves a pretty good sized gap between it and the 54* SW in that option.

I currently carry:

Driver 9.5*

3 wood 15*

4-pw (cavity back)

45* pw (blade) for chipping

56*

60*

putter.

I have two pw because I hit the CB outside of 30yrds and the Blade inside of 30 because I get better feel and can get ball to check up where I cant with the CB.

WITB:

• Driver: Titleist TSR3 8.0 A3, Badazz 60g S
  • Hybrid: Cobra Baffler 17*
  • Irons: T200 P-4
  • Wedges: Callaway X Forged 48*,56*,60*
  • Putter: Ping Anser Milled 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I just carry 15 clubs...

Ok, seriously though. I make the decision based on what course Im playing, and how many times I know I will or will not use a certain club. If youre long off the tee you don't always need the long irons. At least for me. Like last Saturday, I played in a tournament, and I know I can only have 14 clubs so I had to decide which club to drop. I dropped my 3 hybrid. Reason being I was playing in some heavy wind conditions, and I figured I would need my 5 wood instead of a 3 hybrid, since the distance difference is only about 15 yards. Knowing I wouldn't need it off the tee on any of the holes, and that I would need some extra distance in the wind, it seemed like an easy choice... Until I over shot the 18th green from the fairway... Hahaha, 3 hybrid woulda put me on the green in regulation. Oh well. Live and learn. Hahaha

In my Ogio bag.

Titleist 910D2 driver, Adams irons & hybrid, Callaway wedges & a Nike Method putter.

And a yellow ball.

The great irony of life: "If nobody gets out alive, what's holding you back!?"

Driver

3 Wood

19* hy

4-9

Pw

Aw

Sw

Gw

Rarely do I find a gap I can't fill. My drive is almost always 280+ and even long par 5's I've given myself a shot with my hybrid.

Waiting out the 2 feet of snow that just dropped on the course....

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by andef

In all honesty, I don't think anyone games 5 wedges. I can't imagine replacing a 19* hybrid for a 64 wedge.

Didn't Phil Mickelson do that once in 2009 (carry five wedges)?

That could very well be the case. Aside from Mickelson, who's pretty much the tour's best player with a wedge in hand, I don't know of any other pros or even amateurs that game 5 wedges.

There might be a few, but that's very rare. Especially now that a lot of pros are going to a 3 wedge setup.

I dropped my 5w and 3i added 3hi and 52 wedge.

My set is as follows:

10.5  PING G5 Driver

15.5 Cobra HS-9 3w

20 Cobra Baffler TWS

4-PW Titleist AP2

52 Vokey

56 Vokey

60 Nike SV Tour

In Anser V2 PING

R11 10* | cobra.gif Baffler TWS 20*

titleist.gif AP2 4-PW |vokey.gif 52*, 56* and nike.gif60* SV Tour |  Scotty Cameron Newport 2 TOUR ONLY | ping.gif Hoofer | titleist.gif NXT Tour

I use Driver, 3W, 3 hybrids, 5-PW and only 2 wedges, 52-GW and 56-Sw.

I have a good short game but the lob wedge is too hard for me whereas the hybrids get me out of trouble.

I'm currently gaming:

Driver

3W

2H (19˚)

4-PW

54˚

That's only 12 clubs (with the putter), and my 3W is a legacy from my original starter set and it's super closed and I hate hitting it, so really I'm only gaming 11 clubs.  My point is just that, like a bunch of previous posters, with this setup it's easy to play with only 10 non-putter clubs (including PW), which leaves you room for 3 wedges past your PW.

For me, the key to this setup is having a 2H you really like and can hit over a range of distances.  My 4i goes 195 on a full swing.  My 2H goes 215-220 off the deck, which gives me a bit of a gap, but I'm pretty comfortable with that club, so I've found I can just choke up a bit and swing easy and hit it ~205 as well.

Plus, if you're really obsessed with having a range of wedges and want something like PW, 52, 56, 60, 64, you can even drop your 3W if you've got good distance.  I can tee up my 2H just 1/2" or so and hit it 240+, so I rarely miss my 3W.  Of course, maybe I'll change my tune when I can afford  to get a 3W I like and can hit tee shots where I'm only giving away 25 yards off my driver instead of 50+ on days when my driver's struggling.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

• 3 months later...

I currently have 4 wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) 2 hybrids (17, 21) and no woods.  Although I am considering adding a 3 wood (13.5) and dropping my 52.  I'll adjust my 56 to a 54 and keep the 60.

At this point I think adding a club that can help me reach more par 5's in 2 will help lower my scores more than an extra wedge will.

Driver:       Cobra AMP Cell - Blue

Fairway:    TM Rocketballz Stage 2  *17
Hybrids:    Callaway X2 Hot 19* and 22*
Irons:        Mizuno MX-23 5-PW
Wedges:   Cleveland 588  51*, 56*, 60*

Putter:      Scotty Cameron GoLo Customized

Ball:          Srixon Z Star (2013)

I'm usually carrying 3 wedges, so it's not an issue.  My current signature appears to have 4 wedges, but one is the 45* PW-and I just consider that a 45* iron, not a dedicated wedge.  Plus, the 4 iron is 23*, so I don't need a 3 iron if I'm carrying the 19.5* FYbrid.  If I want to carry the 3 iron or another wedge, driver, or putter I'd probably drop the 3 wood/hybrid.

I've never liked hitting the hybrids much, and surprisingly enough I hit my 3i and 4i better than the hybrids I had.  So my current setup is:

Driver - 10.5°

3W - 15° (currently in the bag, also have a 17° 4W I like to play at times)

3i (21°) - 9i (43°)

PW - 47°

GW - 51°

SW - 56°

LW - 60°

I've been kicking around the idea of keeping both the 3W and 4W in, or even a 5W in place of the 4W, and pulling the SW and LW and replacing both of those with a 57° or 58° wedge.

My setup is:

Driver

3 Wood

3-5 Hybird

6-10 i

PW (48*)

54*

60*

Putter

However this merely happens to be the clubs I have and I dont have the ability to change it even if I wanted to. I think this is really highly depended on the player and course. I think about it sort of like this. I take the longest par 4 I might see then assume the highest iron I need is the one that can carry me to the green after my tee shot. If that is a 2 or 3 then your not gonna have much room for wedges. If that's a 5 or 6 then you'll have plenty of room for wedges. That of course is in a perfect world though. I am not very consistent, so if i flub a tee shot or a layup I like having those long Hybrids to make up some of that.

nickent.gif4DX Evolver Driver, ping.gif Rapture 3 Wood, taylormade.gif Burner 08 5 Wood, nickent.gif 3DX RC 3-4 & 5DX 5 Hybrid,
nickent.gif 6-PW 3DX Hybrid Irons, cleveland.gif High Bore 09 GW-SW, touredge.gif 60* Wedge, maxfli.gif Revolution Blade Insert Putter

Yes I'm Aware That's 16 Clubs!

In a way, with today's loft jacking, I carry 5 wedges (my 9-iron has 44' of loft, the same as a great deal of today's PW's). :-D On most days, my bag looks like this; - Driver - 13' 3-wood - 2, 4-9 irons - 48' PW - 52' - 57' - 62' - Putter (just to round out my 14) The "bottom" of my bag always remains the same. I will play with the "top" of my bag though and have a 15' 3-wood, 17' 5-wood and 3-iron that I throw into the mix from time to time depending on course/conditions. I've even been known to drop my driver and carry my 13' 3-wood and 17' 5-wood from time to time. My wedges however, always remain the same.

Yonex Ezone Type 380 | Tour Edge Exotics CB Pro | Miura 1957 Irons | Yururi Wedges | Scotty Cameron Super Rat | TaylorMade Penta

For me, I remove the 3H to make room for an extra wedge.  I didnt hit my 3H very well anyways and another wedge filled the gap nicely between my 45* PW and my 55* wedge.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Note: This thread is 4392 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!