IGNORED

Headcovers (Covers) For Irons

ChgMan
Note: This thread is 2769 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

When I see Arnold Palmer, Jack Nicklaus, Lee Trevino, Chi Chi Rodriguez, Tiger Woods, Padraig Harrington, Paula Creamer . . . well, you get the picture . . . using iron covers, then I'll think about getting some.

yeah but they don't give a stuff about their equipment since they get new stuff anyway. if we get a dent in our 5 iron we cannot just get a free custom made replacement.

Driver: Taylormade R11 set to 8*
3 Wood: R9 15* Motore Stiff
Hybrid: 19° 909 H Voodoo
Irons: 4-PW AP2 Project X 5.5
52*, 60* Vokey SM Chrome

Putter: Odyssey XG #7

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

I never gave them any thought or ever wanted iron covers but in my case if I had them I'd just lose them...

You can talk to a slice, but a hook doesn't listen.

In my bag:
14 clubs and some beer on ice...

IRons are made of steel and wont dent or bend from a lil' click clack int the bag. If you are worried about tiny scratches then you are OCD. They dont affect the way the irons hit.

that's bull homie. forged irons can nick, dent, etc. not to mention they can clang around and put dents in your graphite shafts for your driver, wood, hybrid.

this happened to me 2 weeks after i put a diamana shaft in my driver. sure it's cosmetic...but don't think b/c irons are made of steel that they're gonna remain in top condition and won't scruff, scratch or even dent. And on the real, don't call someone OCD and poke fun at that. That's not cool at all. and so what? I use iron covers. eat it!
DJ Yoshi
Official DJ: Rutgers Football
Boost Mobile Tour
In My Bag
HiBoreXL 9.5 White Board D63 Stiff Exotics CB2 5 Wood, Exotics CB3 3 Wood MP-60 5.5 Flighted Shafts 54 & Cleveland CG-10 60 Newport 2

To each his own. I've never used iron covers. In fact on my old persimmon headed woods I rarely used the wood covers that came with my Hot Z bag. Back then, 30 years ago, woods weren't sold with head covers. Those were an aftermarket accessory (remember those old knit head covers with the big fuzzy ball on the end). Today's woods though are much more delicate, what with the ultra thin head materials and graphite shafts, so a headcover is a necessity for woods today. I played with my set of MacGregor irons for thirty years, fifteen of those years very actively (a couple of times a week all year round), and while yes they look worn and have plenty of nicks all over the heads they still play great. The main reason I would see to want to go to the trouble of using covers on my irons would be if I was planning on selling them at some point in the future. Then the overall condition of the clubs will have a huge impact in what you can potentially get for them, so in that case covers makes good sense. But for me I'm not too worried about cosmetics over the long haul.

Putter head covers also seem kind of silly to me. But again for the collector or for someone looking to sell their putter in the future a head cover makes sense. My old Dalehead has never once seen the inside of a head cover and it putts great. And it's 40 years old!

Nike Vapor Speed driver 12* stock regular shaft
Nike Machspeed 4W 17*, 7W 21* stock stiff shafts
Ping i10 irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, LW AWT stiff flex
Titleist SC Kombi 35"; Srixon Z Star XV tour yellow

Clicgear 3.0; Sun Mountain Four 5

I like the sound of irons clanking together. I do not use iron covers

MacTec 460 Draw Driver
V-Foil M565 Irons
MT 3 Wood
GigaGolf 52deg gap wedge
Wilson 55deg sand wedge MT Don White 60deg Lob wedgeknockoff 2-ball putter

they look like shit...

plus, the clanking has done nothing to affect the way that my irons play
In My SasQuatch tour Golf Bag:
Driver: Tour Burner with UST Proforce V2 stiff shaft
3 wood: SasQuatch 15*
3 Hybrid: X Tour
Irons: X-20 tourSand Wedge: Srixon WG-504 56*Lob Wedge X Tour 60*Putter: Studio Select Putter

Putter head covers also seem kind of silly to me. But again for the collector or for someone looking to sell their putter in the future a head cover makes sense. My old Dalehead has never once seen the inside of a head cover and it putts great. And it's 40 years old!

My putter head is not made of the same materials as my irons and it makes an awful noise when it gets hit. Also, the putter could get damage to the face without a cover(with todays softer metals) and potentially effect putting.

In my Extreme Sport Stand Bag
Driver: 4DX D-Spec Driver 10.5* Stiff UST SR3
3W: F-60 15* Regular Fujikura E150 Fit-On
Hybrids: 4DX Ironwoods 20* 23* Regular UST SR3
Irons: 4DX CB 5-PW Stiff True Temper ST-90Wedges: Vokey 50* 56*Putter: SabertoothBall: DT Roll

I'm against iron covers and here's why.... My first job was caddying at the local country club. My first loop ever was for a woman who had those Yonex carbon/graphite/plastic or whatever headed "irons" and each one had a small leather headcover with a zipper. This lady musta shot 140+ and I had to unzip and zip a headcover for all 140+ plus shots. On top of that I lost one or two of them and she stiffed me (a 11 year old kid) on the tip.

I've never seen a "player" with iron covers. Those who I've noticed with them tend to be "that guy" or "that gal."

G15 9* w/Aldila Serrano 63S
FT 4 wood w/ Aldila NVS 75S
i15 20* hybrid w/UST Mamiya Avix Core Tour Red 84S
4-PW MP-57 w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 (+0.5")
52, 56 and 60 degree MP-10 Satin w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge FlexStudio Stock #4, BB25, Fastback 1.5 or Backstryke Blade..... @ 34"P...

For the amount of $$ my MP32's are worth and how easily they get nicks in them.....

I went out the day after I got them and purchased iron covers. Who cares what other people think is what I say.

MP32
R7
Mezza Monza
RAC 60 degree

Ive got a friend that just uses them when he stores the clubs and for the ride to the course. once he gets there he takes them all off and leaves them in his car... i see no problem with that

MacTec 460 Draw Driver
V-Foil M565 Irons
MT 3 Wood
GigaGolf 52deg gap wedge
Wilson 55deg sand wedge MT Don White 60deg Lob wedgeknockoff 2-ball putter

For the amount of $$ my MP32's are worth and how easily they get nicks in them.....

exactly. I feel the same exact way.. BUT i only use them when I

1. travel and want to protect them during travel 2. on a cart. If I'm carrying, 99% of the time I won't use the covers unless it's raining out. then the irons that haven't been used yet stay covered.
DJ Yoshi
Official DJ: Rutgers Football
Boost Mobile Tour
In My Bag
HiBoreXL 9.5 White Board D63 Stiff Exotics CB2 5 Wood, Exotics CB3 3 Wood MP-60 5.5 Flighted Shafts 54 & Cleveland CG-10 60 Newport 2

I'm against iron covers and here's why.... My first job was caddying at the local country club. My first loop ever was for a woman who had those Yonex carbon/graphite/plastic or whatever headed "irons" and each one had a small leather headcover with a zipper. This lady musta shot 140+ and I had to unzip and zip a headcover for all 140+ plus shots. On top of that I lost one or two of them and she stiffed me (a 11 year old kid) on the tip.

You only lost one or two and she stiffed you???? 11years old??? What a tight a**ed b**ch. Must have been one of those old money clubs.

As far as dings in the clubs, I've been golfing over 40 years and have not to this day played anything but forged. I have yet to get a ding or a dent that affected the play of the clubs, it just doesn't happen. The thought of it happening is absolutely ludicrous to me. If you want them have at it, but, as someone above said, you will be looked at as "one of those guys."
Driver: R7 425,  3-wood: V-Steel
3H Burner,  4-pw: R9 TP
SW: Vokey, 56-10
Putter: Cameron

Who cares about a few nicks on your irons? They don't affect play and they make the clubs yours imo. Personally I like the sound of irons chattering as I walk, music to my ears.

909 D2 8.5° Fubuki Tour 73x
975f 14.5° DG R300
909H 19° AXIVCore Tour Red 85x
690.mb 3-pw DG S300
Z TP 52° and 56° Studio Select Newport 2 34"

Ditto here. I recently took delivery of forged MP-57s and I'm keeping em covered for a while at least. I don't buy irons very often (I had my Pings for 11 years), and given that these puppies are much softer, I'd like to keep them ding-free.

The covers I have slide off and on in one swift movement and they are all connected with a ling string. So there's no chance of losing one. I'll admit, though, that these shiny new irons look fantastic uncovered, and I do like the sound of the chatter when I walk ... But hey, if I'm 'that guy', good for me!!

--
Tee it high, let it fly!

MP-600, Fujikura E360 Stiff
Hi-Bore 1i, 2i, Stiff MP-57, DG S300 52.08, 56.08., 60.07 FISHER GOLF - CTS-1 Burgandy Insert ProV1

Call me "that guy" if you want but I use the iron covers. I've got the neoprene covers. They are easy to take off and put on. When I get to my ball I decide what club I'm going to hit and then as I'm pulling the club out of my bag, I pull the cover off. After the shot as I'm putting the club back in my bag the cover goes back on. Doesn't take any extra time. It might slow me down by a nano-second or some very small fraction of time but nothing that's going to hold the whole course up.

In my Pro-Walker stand bag:

Driver: Founders Club "The Judge" Graphite shaft (benched for bad play)
3-wood: 15* steel shaft
5 & 7-wood: Velocitized BBT Oversized Graphite Shaft Medium Flex 21* & 25*3-iron: Wilson Sam Snead Blue Ridge (benched for bad play)4-SW: Maker's Pride irons steel shaftsP...

No Sir.... I don't like 'em!!!

When I first started golfing, I admit I used them... They never fit right, as they seemed to be made for blades. The wider the soles are getting on the newer clubs (never mind the jumbo sizes), the iron prophylactics just don't fit!

The bag dings on your irons is your badge of honor, and tells everyone you are a player (regardless of what you shoot)!

For protecting your irons, it sounds great. But think about what a pain it would be to have to towel your club and put it in it's little cover after every shot. It would get tedious, not to mention slow down play.

I have a buddy who takes more time putting his Driver cover on, than I EVER will as far as my iron covers. I don't even recover my Driver until the 18th hole. Its the tallest in the bag, what in the world could hurt it?

I used neoprene "Club Gloves". I've used them for a few years now. It literally takes me a second to pull the cover out of my pocket as I'm walking back to the cart to put my club back.

If people are slowing down play because of iron covers, I'm just guessing they have no dexterity in their hands. . .etc, etc. Probably shouldn't be playing golf if an iron cover slows them down.

I use them because I HATE the sound of the irons banging against each other. Whether they're getting damaged or not, I simply hate the sound.

BTW, I play much, much faster than most of the people I get grouped with. Plain and simple

Note: This thread is 2769 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!