IGNORED

Headcovers (Covers) For Irons

ChgMan
Note: This thread is 2776 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just trying to emulate good the good players out there!

Hitting the ground with a golf club thousands of times causes dings and scratches.  It's the nature of the game. Regardless though, if you're looking at the bottom of the club while you're addressing the ball, there may be a problem with your stance.

Yes, hitting the ground thousands of times will cause many of the scratches, but many are caused by cycling the irons in and out of your bag when they make contact with each other. I'm surprised you haven't figured this out yet? Question: What are those red, white, and blue things on your metals in your bag? Geez, I wonder why you bother putting them on your clubs, could it be for protection? For example, look at your 7 iron in your photo, you will notice the 'trailing edge' of the sole has got some dings on it, which aren't from a normal golf swing! Then again, if they are from your golf swing, you may need to seek a professionsl to correct your this problem!

:banana:

Thomas Gralinski, 2458080

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Question: What are those red, white, and blue things on your metals in your bag? Geez, I wonder why you bother putting them on your clubs, could it be for protection?

That's because a) they're painted, and paint will come off and 2) the walls of a driver or 3 wood are pretty thin and can get bent.

I'm just curious why you're so bothered that most people don't use club protectors. It's really a personal choice.

Tyler Martin

That's because a) they're painted, and paint will come off and 2) the walls of a driver or 3 wood are pretty thin and can get bent.

I'm just curious why you're so bothered that most people don't use club protectors. It's really a personal choice.

I wasn't the one who started the back and forth, I think it was you would casted the first stone. Personally, it doesn't bother me in the least what you use. So you are saying a ding in a driver damages it? the paint??? You are concerned with a cosmetic flaw like driver paint? Cmon, be a man and take those covers off, after all, the driver is made of titanium, on of the strongest metals known to man. Or is it that you enjoy the look of a pristine driver appearance?

I wasn't the one who started the back and forth, I think it was you would casted the first stone.

I wasn't aware I casted a stone. You asked a question, I gave an answer. It became a back and forth when you started saying that we're wrong for not using them.

Personally, it doesn't bother me in the least what you use.

Really? From this post, you sound pretty defensive, and even a bit condescending towards those that don't share your love of iron protectors:
I really don't think iron cover are for nerds who wear a fanny pack and high socks, I think they work well for people who enjoy a new looking iron. Some wonder why their irons don't resell well, because they don't take care of them. It's their own fault! Some don't use iron covers because they take a little extra work to use, true, but good things take some work. With that being said, I purchased these for travel on airlines and in my trunk:

http://www.clubglove.com/CG/ViewProd-clubcover6c.asp?ProductID=34

If it didn't bother you, then you wouldn't have said anything at all except something along the lines of "It sounds like most people don't use them, but I like to try and keep my irons looking as new as possible for as long as possible".

So you are saying a ding in a driver damages it? the paint??? You are concerned with a cosmetic flaw like driver paint?

A dent or chip in the paint of a driver is much more noticeable than a ding in an iron, at least to me. And it can be a lot more distracting, especially if it's on the top of the head. A dent in the face could ruin it.

Cmon, be a man and take those covers off, after all, the driver is made of titanium, on of the strongest metals known to man.

I don't really measure my manhood by my club protection choices. And if titanium is so strong, take a hammer and hit the top of your driver as hard as you can. Let us know  how extensive the damage is.

If you want to use club protectors, that's fine. No one is saying you're wrong for doing it. I applaud your effort in keeping your clubs well maintained. But I would wager that my 20+ year old forged irons aren't in significantly worse shape than yours.

Tyler Martin

Whatever Geauxforbroken, you're the type that has to be right all the time, and if you don't get your way you use rude sarcasm. Get take a pill!

• Administrator
Whatever Geauxforbroken, you're the type that has to be right all the time, and if you don't get your way you use rude sarcasm. Get take a pill!

Dude, chill a bit, okay?

I too leave covers on my hybrids and woods because, as @geauxforbroke said, they're painted, thinner, and taller (so every time you pull out or put away an iron you can hit the taller clubs). Irons are irons, and a little bag chatter is inconsequential. As you point out, they endure far greater stresses and impacts hitting balls and dirt and rocks and such. Woods typically don't encounter those same stresses, AND are more prone to showing more serious damage.

That's my reasoning.

I do put covers on my irons when I travel. But that's it.

P.S. Also, irons rust, titanium doesn't.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Whatever Geauxforbroken

Not sure if that was clever wordplay, or just a happy coincidence. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. ;-)

Let's take it down a notch. I wasn't trying to incite a riot here. I'm not sure what was interpreted as rude. I apologize for any offense.

As far as being right, I'm not sure there's a right or wrong here. I even said:

No one is saying you're wrong for doing it. I applaud your effort in keeping your clubs well maintained.

Let's keep this civil, shall we?

Tyler Martin

Dude, chill a bit, okay?

I too leave covers on my hybrids and woods because, as @geauxforbroke said, they're painted, thinner, and taller (so every time you pull out or put away an iron you can hit the taller clubs). Irons are irons, and a little bag chatter is inconsequential. As you point out, they endure far greater stresses and impacts hitting balls and dirt and rocks and such. Woods typically don't encounter those same stresses, AND are more prone to showing more serious damage.

That's my reasoning.

I do put covers on my irons when I travel. But that's it.

P.S. Also, irons rust, titanium doesn't.

I appreciate your post iacas, but I am chilled, really. I'm just giving back to what others have posted. Golf is as much mental as it is physical, and when I look at a nice looking, pristine club, it lends to making me play better. That's why people dress up to go out to dine, and not wear old clothes, it makes them feel better. When I look down a 'clean' looking iron, it helps the mental game. Face it, that's why people put head covers on their drivers, nothing nicer looking to tee off with then a pristine looking driver.

Okay, that's my reasoniong, go ahead and tear it apart ! ;-)

Not sure if that was clever wordplay, or just a happy coincidence. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

Let's take it down a notch. I wasn't trying to incite a riot here. I'm not sure what was interpreted as rude. I apologize for any offense.

As far as being right, I'm not sure there's a right or wrong here. I even said:

Let's keep this civil, shall we?

Ok, peace!

• 2 months later...
Do you use head covers for your irons? If so, what kind and why? I've got a new set of Taylor Made Burner 2.0 irons and am debating getting iron covers for them. I can kind of see the need for them but then again question the need when I'm going to scratch them up on the course through playing... Driver and fairway woods I can definitely see the need so they don't get all beat up but irons too?

Chris

I don't play golf, I play at golf. There's a difference.

TM RBZ driver, RBZ Stage 2 Tour 3 wood, RBZ 7 wood, TM Burner 2.0 4-AW, Cleveland CG16 Black Pearl 56* sand wedge, Yes! Golf Valerie putter, Snake Eyes golf balls, TM stand bag

Never used head covers for my irons, too much to deal with, plus your irons if used a normal amount of time will get scratches and small dents with, or without the covers, just from normal use. I do use covers on my putter, driver and fairway woods though.

There's only one reason I'd ever bother with iron covers and that's if I'm taking them abroad and want to limit the amount of rattling around they might ensure on a flight (I do wrap towels around all the clubs before zipping them up but worth a small investment to stop them hitting each other)

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

Welcome to the site, and back to the game! Not picking, but just FYI, if you use the search function, you'll find a BUNCH of threads on the subject. They make for some entertaining reading! :beer:

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Welcome to the site, and back to the game! Not picking, but just FYI, if you use the search function, you'll find a BUNCH of threads on the subject. They make for some entertaining reading! :beer:

I merged a few into this one. FWIW, I've never used iron covers, but I can see a few situations (traveling chief among them) where they might be useful.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Only use them when I take my clubs on a plane.  My Ogio Chamber bag locks the clubs in place, thus eliminating bag chatter on a cart.  Rather than use iron headcovers you'd be better off looking into a BagBoy revolver bag or the Ogio Chamber.

Joe Paradiso

David in Fl, thanks for the welcome and sorry I'm on my phone right now and didn't see the search. Jamo, thanks for merging my post into thus thread. I think I'm going to follow my own thing and get covers for my irons and decide whether they're a hassle or not. I'm planning on updating my current old driver and fairway woods and will use head covers for them as well.. Just need to find something that matches my personality.

Chris

I don't play golf, I play at golf. There's a difference.

TM RBZ driver, RBZ Stage 2 Tour 3 wood, RBZ 7 wood, TM Burner 2.0 4-AW, Cleveland CG16 Black Pearl 56* sand wedge, Yes! Golf Valerie putter, Snake Eyes golf balls, TM stand bag

I don't use covers for my irons but it's simply because I don't want the hassle of it, and time spent doing it. I even leave the cover off of my driver during a round for the same reason.

I do keep the covers on my two fairway woods so they don't bang against each other and/or my driver. Don't like taking them off and putting them back on either but I do it anyway and consider it a necessary inconvenience.

I had a putter cover at one time but I lost it and never replaced it. The bag I use has a slot on the side for the putter so it never bangs against any other clubs anyway. I am picky about the face of my putter and if there was a chance of it getting dings in it I would use a cover.

Note: This thread is 2776 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!