IGNORED

TaylorMade Penta vs Titleist Pro V1

Note: This thread is 4104 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Take it easy, brother! Altho' I must admit I save the TopFlights for the range, but I actually kissed my ball (Bridgestone E6)  last week when I birdied 2 holes in a row, so now I play the yellow missiles;  absolutely nothing wrong with B'stones!

T M Hi, let m fly!

I agree with everyone about the spin difference and have not been able to decide which is better for my game so I have been switching between the two this season. I do feel that the Penta is slightly more durable than the VIx even though the 2011 VIx is greatly improved. This durability factor makes the Penta a better ball for me since there are so many trees on our course but I would recommend trying them both and making the decision for yourself.

I've played them both -- be a Taylormade ball guy for some years but play Pro V's when gifted to me.

I can not tell the difference anywhere except on the green. Penta feels firmer (which I like). Perhaps it is in my head. There is a lot in my head.

I play the Penta because I think it feels better on the green AND because it is less common to find on than a Titleist. So when looking for a ball, I know it is mine and so do others who might mistake it for theirs. I mark my ball well but still other guys think it is theirs. This happens less with Taylormade.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

ProV1x-ish off the tee and long irons. Srixon Zstar-ish on the short game. Pretty close to Borg perfection.

titleistprov1x |nikeneo |●| callawayx-forged 54/60 |● |mizunoMP68

adamsproblack 3H |●| mizunoMPtitanium5w/3w |●| mizunoMP630FT

• 4 months later...

Originally Posted by meenman

it's not like playing a crappy bridgestone or top-flite ball.

LOL!

Titleist paid Bridgestone lots of $$$ for patent infringement around 2007. If TItleist thinks Bridgestones are that good ... well, let's say you work on your game and don't make nasty comments until you've increased your wealth of knowledge.

All golf balls are excellent when it comes to the major brands - it's finding one that suits your game is the key.

I've played Bridgestone RX, RXS, and e5 (2011 version) for the past 3 years -- all great balls. I could also play and have played the Callaway, Srixon, Taylormade and Titleist Premium balls in the past. They're all fine balls.

It's what fits you.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

Titleist paid Bridgestone lots of $$$ for patent infringement around 2007. If TItleist thinks Bridgestones are that good ... well, let's say you work on your game and don't make nasty comments until you've increased your wealth of knowledge.

I thought it was Callaway.  Are Bridgestone and Callaway the same, or is this another patent case?

I thought it was Callaway.  Are Bridgestone and Callaway the same, or is this another patent case?

Pretty sure it's two cases.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

• Administrator

Originally Posted by Harmonious

Callaway still hasn't won their lawsuit. They were countersued and it's still in court. They won some preliminary thing, but so did Titleist, including having all or almost all of the relevant Callaway patents ruled invalid.

Bridgestone stuff:

http://thesandtrap.com/b/balls/bridgestone_sues_titleist

http://thesandtrap.com/t/8039/bridgestone-acushnet-prov1-x-lawsuit-settled

Though officially a "win" for Bridgestone, I've heard it really wasn't worth that much: the "licensing fee" Titleist paid (which they've stopped paying, since they've changed the way they build their golf balls) was tiny and the settlement included a cross-licensing deal that benefitted both Titleist and Bridgestone.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by bigbear43

Just wondering if anyone has used the new TaylorMade Pentra and what your thoughts were on it. Also any comparisons with the Titlist V1?

It is only apparent to me on and around the green and with full wedge shots, but in my opinion, the penta is in between the ProV1 and the ProV1x as far as softness goes. It is perfect for my taste. I do not really notice any noticeable differences in any other part of my game.

Taylormade R11 Driver

Taylormade Superfast 5W

Taylormade Superfast 2.0 #4 21* hybrid

Callaway Razr X #5 24* hybrid

Titleist CB 712 irons

Titleist Vokey 54* & 58* Wedges

Scotty Cameron California Sea Mist Del Mar

Hi all,

for me, having played both, I prefer the Titleists as I found that the Penta cut up a lot quicker than the V1s.

910d3, 910F, 910H, AP-2, Vokeys, and a Scotty Kombi.

• 3 weeks later...

Have tried both, but I prefer the feeling at impact that the Pro V1 gives...like I'm hitting a heavy ball. Just my personal pref I guess. That same feeling works well with my putting too. It feels solid.

Driver: Titleist 905R w GraphiteDesign YS-6 Stiff Shaft

3 Wood: Callaway X 3 Wood 15º w Aldila NV65 Stiff Shaft
Hybrid: Callaway X 3H 21º Stiff
Irons 4 - SW: Callaway X 18 Graphite Shaft (Stiff)
Wedges: Cleveland CG12 Chrome 52º, CG 15 Chrome 60º
Putter: Odyssey Crimson 660
Balls: Titleist ProV1

I used to play the ProV1x and was very happy with them.  Then my buddy suggested I try the Penta TP.  He felt the balls played similarly and the Penta TP were slightly less expensive.  I have to agree, great feel, good distance and nice amount of spin.  I have nothing bad to say about the ProV1x, but I am hooked on the Penta TP myself

Callaway Razr Hawk Driver, Cleveland Launcher 3 Wood, Callaway Diablo Edge Irons, Adams Idea Tech V3 4 Iron, Cleveland CG15 52, 56 and 60 degree wedges, Ping Sydney Putter, NY Giants Head Covers

I personally choose the ProV1x over the Penta.  I do like the Penta, but for me it's a mental thing.  I haven't played that well when I've used the Penta so now it's more of a personal handicap than a problem with the ball.

Am I the only one who believes the ProV1x spins more on (full) wedge shots than the ProV1???

I have recently switched over to the new Srixon Z-Star because it still has a soft feel, performs nicely on chips and pitches, and doesn't come back 10 feet on full wedge shots...also b/c of lower compression for colder weather.  It was cool to spin it back that much for a while, but I'm over it now.  I seem to have trouble playing 5-10 feet past the hole and pulling it back because it doesn't always spin back the same amount.  I've noticed with the Z-Star that it hits and stops (maybe coming back a foot or two), but it is more consistant.  I'd rather play the distance to the pin, and have it stop a couple feet from the hole instead of hitting it a couple feet from the hole, and having it spin back to a 10+ foot putt.

This is all just my humble opinion, but I'm curious to hear other's thoughts on the spin difference b/w the V1 and V1x.  Even the wedge spin chart from golf digest has the V1x spinning more.

Driver:       Cobra AMP Cell - Blue

Fairway:    TM Rocketballz Stage 2  *17
Hybrids:    Callaway X2 Hot 19* and 22*
Irons:        Mizuno MX-23 5-PW
Wedges:   Cleveland 588  51*, 56*, 60*

Putter:      Scotty Cameron GoLo Customized

Ball:          Srixon Z Star (2013)

• 2 weeks later...

I've found most responsed interesting considering my experience with the pentas have been exactly opposite. I recently bought 3 dozen pentas because of the special they where running buy 2 get one free. I've found that the penta for me spins way more than the pro-v1. As a matter of fact I'm wondering if anyone else has seen what I have seen. With my driver its just as long as the pro-v1 but as the clubs get more lofted I gradually lose more and more distance to where when I get to the wedges I'm almost a club and a half shorter than usual. Maybe something has change in my swing but when it gets warm enough I'm going to go play the pro-v1 side by side with the pentas just to make sure.

• 2 weeks later...

Originally Posted by DuckHooker

I've found most responsed interesting considering my experience with the pentas have been exactly opposite. I recently bought 3 dozen pentas because of the special they where running buy 2 get one free. I've found that the penta for me spins way more than the pro-v1. As a matter of fact I'm wondering if anyone else has seen what I have seen. With my driver its just as long as the pro-v1 but as the clubs get more lofted I gradually lose more and more distance to where when I get to the wedges I'm almost a club and a half shorter than usual. Maybe something has change in my swing but when it gets warm enough I'm going to go play the pro-v1 side by side with the pentas just to make sure.

Actually a friend mine now uses penta and he was spinning his ball alot more than I was during our round last weekend. I found it a bit strange but that's exactly what happened. Need to find out more about this.

Driver: Titleist 905R w GraphiteDesign YS-6 Stiff Shaft

3 Wood: Callaway X 3 Wood 15º w Aldila NV65 Stiff Shaft
Hybrid: Callaway X 3H 21º Stiff
Irons 4 - SW: Callaway X 18 Graphite Shaft (Stiff)
Wedges: Cleveland CG12 Chrome 52º, CG 15 Chrome 60º
Putter: Odyssey Crimson 660
Balls: Titleist ProV1

I also bought the 3 dozen pentas. My 1st impression is they spin a little less ( hardly noticeable) than the pro v1x and seem to carry further? I will be in FL for a month playing starting Feb 15th and will be able to play them for a month to get a better feel.

• 6 months later...

I know different styles change outcomes but i find this interesting because I have been using the penta 5 now for 2 or 3 months and find they scuff a lot less when using my wedges, admittedly im not a huge spinner of the ball but with my wedges I stop the pentas on one bounce and similar with the pro v1. I did a test and played one of each when I started using penta 5 instead of pro v1 and after 9 holes the pro v1 looked like a train had run over it, well maybe not that bad but it had 4 or 5 bad scuff marks and after 18 the penta only had one not so bad scuff mark. So for me paying $15 dollars less and of the same quality makes for sense to me. I also tried callaway hex and could not get the same spin .

Just a question for the more knowledgable golfers out there i have a friend who is of scratch or better and he told me that you can find the seam on a better ball, to which i found on the penta 5 and when driving make sure im not using the seam to aim my drive as this will create more hook or slice if you do hook or slice. So i have been hitting across the seam and driving straighter than ever, and with putting with the seam it will roll further, so when putting downslope put across the seam as the ball will pull up earlier?

Note: This thread is 4104 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!