IGNORED

Let singles through please!!!!!

jcard71
Note: This thread is 3085 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The problem is that a lot of singles (exemplified by many on this forum) think that they have a right to play through several groups on a packed course and screw the day up for everyone.

Or even worse, to play through or skip and return to holes skipped! Get real, play the pace the traffic allows and take your lumps if you had not the sense to schedule your round at the course and time that allow you to play at the pace you desire.

It is wise, IMHO, that most the courses in my area will not schedule a single to play alone unless the traffic on the course is light. The single can walk on if conditions allow, else wait to join the next threesome.

USGA does not schedule any course I know of, and has their head up their a$$ in a lot of ways!

Craig

:wilsonstaff: - FG Tour F5
:wilsonstaff: - Fybrid 3W 15*, FY 19.5*, 4H 24*
:wilsonstaff: - FG 51 Tour Blade 4-9
:wilson: - Harmonized 50, 55, 60
Old Master - TZ Putter

• Administrator
44 minutes ago, CR McDivot said:

The problem is that a lot of singles (exemplified by many on this forum) think that they have a right to play through several groups on a packed course and screw the day up for everyone.

I have not seen that behavior exemplified by anyone here. Please point this out.

Many will remember you are the one who railed against "feeling rushed" (paraphrased, not necessarily a direct quote) by someone on an empty course when you could have simply let him through. You also, IIRC, believe that you should be allowed to play at the pace of play and not asked to play faster (or let someone through if they are playing faster). But I could be wrong; that's what I recollect.

Or even worse, to play through or skip and return to holes skipped! Get real, play the pace the traffic allows and take your lumps if you had not the sense to schedule your round at the course and time that allow you to play at the pace you desire.

How is that "even worse"? At Whispering Woods, I've skipped holes 10-12 and jumped ahead of people by teeing off on 13. I interrupt and delay nobody. If I can return and play 10-12 while similarly not delaying or interrupting anyone after I play 13-18, I do sometimes.

12 green is near 18 green and 10 tee, and so 13 tee is just on the other side of 12 green.

Some players can't schedule rounds during optimal times. That does not mean that, without interrupting or delaying anyone, they are doing "bad" things by skipping holes and/or expecting to play through some particularly slow groups.

I have seen nobody here suggest that if the course is jam packed that they should be allowed to play through. Many have specifically excluded such a situation or talked about how their course won't even permit them out as a single if it's jam packed.

USGA does not schedule any course I know of, and has their head up their a$$ in a lot of ways!

Let's be mature about this, please.

And if you're gonna curse, fucking man up and type the actual word. :mellow:

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 2/23/2011, 6:02:19, jcard71 said:

I also don't care if I get blasted for this, but IMO, it happens more when I run into the HACKS that have no course etiquette.

This is the issue.  Ignorance.  There are a lot of people out there playng who just are golf etiquette challenged.  They just don't know.

What I don't like is when people push my group when there is absolutely nowhere to go.  They THINK playing through is a right, but it's not.  Say I let you play through and then wait every shot on you because there is nowhere to go.  Did that solve anything?

The simple solution is what you did:  Bypass the group in front of you and move onto the next available open spot on the course.

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

12 hours ago, rkim291968 said:

Yeah, it comes down to exercising common sense, and good etiquette.   But these threads pop up b/c, like all other groups, golfers have their share of the clueless.    Like the other day when we were still putting our clubs away on green area, a guy in the group behind decides to hit into green from 100+ yards out.  He must have been a former PGA player to know for sure he can put the ball on green.   Not!  His ball missed us by a foot and landed on top of our cart on the fly.  Had it either of us (me or my wife) on the head, we could have needed medical help.  

I hope you had some kind words for said "gentleman".  That is so rude and irresponsible, I can accept that you got hold of one and sent it a lot further than expected and it rolled close (guy in the twosome behind us did that, we had been talking with them quite a bit and they were a lovely older couple, very nice) but to take a swing with a wedge into the green when persons are on it is just wrong.

This happened to me this summer. Group of 4 and it was a twilight fee. We were the only two groups on the entire course. Unfortunately the club is a 9 hole so you go round twice and the possibility is always that you get behind a group who are just starting.

First 5 holes are outside of a track for horse racing. I catch them up on hole 2. None of them are particularly great players. Every hole they had an opportunity to let me through especially the par 3 fourth. After the 5th hole and my complete bewilderment at the lack of gracious behaviour, I finally get a chance to skip ahead. The 6th goes inside the track and I turn right to go to the 7th.

I had no issues with the standard of golf a couple in the group were playing but as a 4 they would've held me up anyway even if they were low handicappers. So to hack your way up every hole and be completely ignorant of someone on their own with absolutely no one in front of you, is not lack of knowledge of golf etiquette.

It's all about good manners just like holding a door open for someone else. There's no rule that says you have to but it's respectful to do it and appreciated in return.

"Repetition is the chariot of genius"

Driver: BENROSS VX PROTO 10.5
Woods: BENROSS QUAD SPEED FAIRWAY 15"
Hybrids:BENROSS 3G 17" BENROSSV5 Escape 20"
Irons: :wilson: DEEP RED Fluid Feel  4-SW
Putter: BENROSS PURE RED
Balls: :wilsonstaff:  Ti DNA

28 minutes ago, Gator Hazard said:

I hope you had some kind words for said "gentleman".  That is so rude and irresponsible, I can accept that you got hold of one and sent it a lot further than expected and it rolled close (guy in the twosome behind us did that, we had been talking with them quite a bit and they were a lovely older couple, very nice) but to take a swing with a wedge into the green when persons are on it is just wrong.

I shouted to them to "wait until we are clearly out of the way."   To their credit, they apologized and stayed well away from us the rest of the round.  

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

I had a great experience today as a single.... I had the second tee time of the day and was walking by myself. The twosome that was first let me start ahead of them. They were in a cart and playing very fast, staying right behind me. I waved them through on the eighth, since noone was behind them. As they passed by, we shared a greeting and a joke. I still finished the round in under 3:30 with plenty of time to smell the roses, enjoy the day, take some extra practice shots and work on my putting. I play as a single most of time, but I make well use of the time when there is slow play.

Dave

I messed this one up.  Went out as a single mid-morning on Saturday.  I got right off without waiting but the stater warned me i'd probably catch some other groups. 1 and 2 were open and when I pulled up to 3 the twosome in front of me were just leaving the tee box, and I can see the foursome on the green.  So I just paced myself, working on a few things and maybe hitting an extra approach shot, trying not to rush.  Ended up finishing 9 in right around 2 hours.  Got to 10 and the twosome was waiting, and the foursome was just pulling away and now.  They must have stopped at the turn.  From 10 green you can see the 12th hole, one of the only places on the course where you can see the holes in front of you. The foursome isn't even finished with 11 and 12 is open, so I figure no one is ahead of them.  So since it took 30 minutes to play 10,and it looked open in front of them I decided to jump to 13, which is an extra long drive from the 12 green.  When I get there, a foursome is just leaving the tee box, and they didn't look real happy that a single just pulled up behind them.  I think they then started playing extra slow on purpose.  By the time I got to tee off on 13, the group now behind me was already there, and they weren't real happy that now I was ahead of them, which I can understand.  So I played 13 and 14 and then drove in, which I thought was the right thing to do. I'll probably wait until the afternoon before going out as a single again.    

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Bill926 said:

... By the time I got to tee off on 13, the group now behind me was already there, and they weren't real happy that now I was ahead of them, which I can understand.  So I played 13 and 14 and then drove in, which I thought was the right thing to do. 

Well done.  You recognized your jumping created a problem and you corrected the issue.  I am not averse to jumping holes as long as the people trailing me and/or my group never have to wait on us.

Brian Kuehn

I've been in all types of situations as a single behind groups.   Full course, empty course.   People coming up behind me not liking that a "single" is holding them up... whatever.   The main problem is that people don't talk or communicate with each other about the course and what is going on and whether anyone can do anything about it to try and make everyone as happy as possible.

—Adam

I made a comment of playing "Make-Up" holes in an earlier thread.   I virtually never go back to play the hole skipped.   If the course is really dead, yes......I've done it before, but this isn't the norm.    My idea of playing a 'makeup' hole is once I put distance on the 4-some I pass..............I'll play a similar difficulty hole as the one skipped on the way in and play it twice.....then use one of the scores for the hole I skipped.    Just saying...

In general......I never backtrack after playing through a cluster.  It's onward and forward......

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Note: This thread is 3085 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!