IGNORED

When do you consider someone a "good golfer"?

adamgoodman
Note: This thread is 4815 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I found the data and here it is from the National Golf Foundation.  You can see over 45% of the golfers don't break 100.

How do golfers score on an 18-hole regulation golf course?

• Nearly half shoot 100 or more, and only about one in four can break 90 consistently:

Average score

Percent of
adult golfers

Under 80

5%

80-89

21%

90-99

29%

100-109

24%

110-119

10%

120+

11%

Total

100%

Butch

Everyone here has some great opinions and ideas on when someone is considered a "good golfer", so I'm not putting anyone else down by saying this, but in my opinion anyone who can consistently shoot in the 80s is a "good golfer".  The reason I say this is the "average golfer" (IMO) shoots in the high 90s/low 100s.  I read in Golf Digest either last year or 2 years ago, that only about 5% of golfers can consistently shoot in the 80s.  While professionals and hard-chargers will probably be of the opinion that shooting scratch or in the 70s consistently is a "good golfer", I personally think those that are scratch or shoot in the 70s are a "great golfer".  I base this off my personal experience and how few golfers can consistently shoot in the 70s or 80s.  I have seen guys that consistently shoot 84-89 and while they are usually lacking in the short game and can shoot some errant shots from time to time, for the most part they have a consistent swing and make better than average contact on 80% or more of their approach shots.  If you are doing that (scoring in the 80s), you are a "good golfer".

I will however have to agree with all the others that talked about having the proper golf etiquette, et al.  I agree that someone who shoots "poorly" but has a great respect for the game, traditions and etiquette may not be considered a "good golfer", but I will not tell them that to their face.  I want to keep people coming back and playing and working on getting better.  While we may spend more time on the course when playing with those golfers that do shoot in the high 90s/low 100s, if they have the right attitude and outlook on the game, it is still a pleasure to play with them; and to build their confidence, I will tell them the things that I think they do right (within my scope of knowledge of course) and sugar coat the things that I think they do wrong.  Hopefully that will inspire them to keep coming back.

But, like most of us, when you are playing poorly and want to quit and are cussing the game (in your head), it only takes one good shot on one hole for you to make the comment, "And THAT is why I keep coming back!"

Originally Posted by adamgoodman

Pretty shocking numbers to me...

Just look around you on the course, man!

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Not reading any of the above until after I post my answer.  A good golfer is one who understands and follows the rules of etiquette on the course, keeps pace, and shows respect for his fellow players.  He doesn't have to be a great player to be someone I'd be happy to play with - he only has to be good enough to keep pace.  I've seen golfers who I would call skilled players but they weren't always good golfers because they didn't follow some of the guidelines I listed above.  It's a bonus if he does the above and has the skills to keep a single digit handicap as well.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I would say somebody who 1) has control of where the ball goes and 2) knows how to score.

and i think number 2 is the most important one because even the best players dont have number 1 all of the time.

By "good" I'm going to assume the OP is discussing skill and as such a golfer begins to impress me with their skill starting about at the mid single digit handicap range.  To play at that level one has the ability to work their way around a course in a manner more of their choosing rather than waiting to see what happens with each shot.  This golfer is playing their own game and adjusting it to the layout of the hole they face.  As player's handicaps increase above the mid single digits they no doubt attempt to play their own game and react to the course itself but more often the problems they face are of their own creation due to their inability to consistently hit the shot they want or should want to make happen.  Another aspect of "good" golf as a handicap drops into the mid single digits and below is the ability to shoot lower scores even when their game isn't at it's best.  This isn't to say I am unimpressed with golfers whose ability doesn't reach this particular level, but there is a difference between having the ability to play well and exhibiting that talent on a regular basis.

• Upvote 1

Nike Vapor Speed driver 12* stock regular shaft
Nike Machspeed 4W 17*, 7W 21* stock stiff shafts
Ping i10 irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, LW AWT stiff flex
Titleist SC Kombi 35"; Srixon Z Star XV tour yellow

Clicgear 3.0; Sun Mountain Four 5

Originally Posted by Chief Broom

By "good" I'm going to assume the OP is discussing skill and as such a golfer begins to impress me with their skill starting about at the mid single digit handicap range.  To play at that level one has the ability to work their way around a course in a manner more of their choosing rather than waiting to see what happens with each shot.  This golfer is playing their own game and adjusting it to the layout of the hole they face.  As player's handicaps increase above the mid single digits they no doubt attempt to play their own game and react to the course itself but more often the problems they face are of their own creation due to their inability to consistently hit the shot they want or should want to make happen.  Another aspect of "good" golf as a handicap drops into the mid single digits and below is the ability to shoot lower scores even when their game isn't at it's best.  This isn't to say I am unimpressed with golfers whose ability doesn't reach this particular level, but there is a difference between having the ability to play well and exhibiting that talent on a regular basis.

You're correct.  A lot of responses are more well-suited to what garners a "good playing partner" when it comes to etiquette etc, which is fine, but not exactly what I had in mind when I started the thread.  It was supposed to be more skill related.

"Good"

Skill - single digit...love Chief Broom's description

Etiquette - fixes ball marks, keeps pace of play, would be an ideal partner, etc.

Top Notch according to Judge Smail - contributes to the Caddy Scholarship Fund

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Originally Posted by Fourputt

Not reading any of the above until after I post my answer.  A good golfer is one who understands and follows the rules of etiquette on the course, keeps pace, and shows respect for his fellow players.  He doesn't have to be a great player to be someone I'd be happy to play with - he only has to be good enough to keep pace.  I've seen golfers who I would call skilled players but they weren't always good golfers because they didn't follow some of the guidelines I listed above.  It's a bonus if he does the above and has the skills to keep a single digit handicap as well.

This pretty much sums up how I consider it as well.

As far as just relating to skill, I would consider someone who regularly scores  75-85 a "good golfer".  If they score 85-92 I would call them "bogey golfers".  Someone who regularly scores better than 75, I would probably say "GOOD golfer" if I was speaking--more verbal emphasis on the "good". I also might refer to them as "scratch golfers", even though that is not necessarily the case.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

You're correct.  A lot of responses are more well-suited to what garners a "good playing partner" when it comes to etiquette etc, which is fine, but not exactly what I had in mind when I started the thread.  It was supposed to be more skill related.

There are at least two ways to answer.

A good golfer could be someone who keeps up with the play, keeps their ball in play, plays to their handicap, and is often called to fill out a foursome. I consider a good golfer as someone who knows what shot to hit at any given time, based on the situation and their skill level.  When they're about to shoot, all eyes tend to focus on the target because the ball will probably end up pretty close to it. A bad golfer has people ready to run to one side or the other to get a glimpse of where the ball ended up. Playing with either type of bad golfer is frustrating.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

IMO, a "good" golfer is someone who can shoot in the mid 80s on lower on a regular basis.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

As it relates to skill, I would consider a good golfer to be one with a single digit hcp... One day I'll get there...

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Quote:

I think a good player is anyone that breaks 90 on a consistent basis following the rules of golf.  They are certainly in the minority, so I think that justifies the tag of good.

Also, someone who understands not just the rules, but the game, and can adjust his behavior to the setting. Even if you are a better player than this person, you respect him or her because they are enthusiastic about golf, and respect the game.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

The problem with this etiquette talk is imagine walking off the course paired with an exceptionally skilled golfer, who happens to be a complete ass.  He curses, doesn't fix divots, and acts like an all around douche.

I wouldn't think of it as "wow, that guy was a bad golfer."  I would think, "wow, that guy was a very good golfer, but sure was a complete douche!"

Personally, if you can consistently shoot in the 70's or better, you're a good golfer in my book.

The problem with this etiquette talk is imagine walking off the course paired with an exceptionally skilled golfer, who happens to be a complete ass.  He curses, doesn't fix divots, and acts like an all around douche.

I wouldn't think of it as "wow, that guy was a bad golfer."  I would think, "wow, that guy was a very good golfer, but sure was a complete douche!"

Personally, if you can consistently shoot in the 70's or better, you're a good golfer in my book.

Spot on. I can show all the respect in the world for surfing etiquette and the ocean, but that still doesn't make me a good surfer.

Flame away apologists.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Most of us are regular players, 80's, 70's, 90's and yes, 100's. I consider someone a good golfer when they are CONSISTENTLY getting around the 80's and low 90's, scorewise. But, I've made the mistake of getting out on the course with guys who say they shot a 86 last round, and when I get out with them, they take 100 mulligans, shoot, I'd be a 0 handicap then! So, If you're humble and abide by the rules, you're okay in my book.

Note: This thread is 4815 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!