IGNORED

Which chipping method do you prefer?

very handicap
Note: This thread is 4754 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Your preferred chipping method:

• 1. Chip and Run - Use a low loft club like 9 or 8 iron. chip and let it run to the pin.
    • 2. Chip and check - Use a high loft club like 56 or 60 degrees. Chip to the pin and check.
    • 3. Others - Please specify and explain

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I let the conditions help me decide. If I'm next to the green, with a lot of smooth green to work with, I'll chip n run it with my SW-7i. If I'm further from the green, and the ball is sitting nicely or in the rough, I'll pitch or lob it with my 60. If I'm further from the green and sitting on a super tight lie where it might be hard to get under it, I'll pitch n check it with my 60. (I agree and say pitch n check, not chip n check, because anything outside of a rigid chip setup feels like a pitch to me.) I try to be as skillful as I can with all of them. The only thing I prefer is the shot that gets me the closest or holes out.

If its iffy viewing from the cart, I usually bring both my 54 and 60 degree wedges to my ball and decide after I take a look at the conditions. Its usually clear cut after that.

Titleist 910D2 8.5° Diamana 'ahina 80 S
Titleist 909F3 3W 13° Diamana D83 S, Titleist 910f 5W 19° Fubuki Ax 80X
Taylormade RAC MB TP 3-PW Irons DG S300, Callaway Jaws 54° and 60°
Titleist Futura putter, Taylormade TP5 balls

It usually depends on the conditions for me, but most of the time I'll chip and check. The reason being that I'm very good a getting under the ball with wedges and good at putting the ball where I want it.

Plus, the Chip and Run technique would not work best if there's any slope on the green.

Driver: :cobra: BiO Cell (10.5º)

Wood: :ping: G15 3 (15.5°)

Hybrids: :callaway: Diablo Edge: 3 (21º), 4 (24º)

Irons: :callaway: Diablo Edge: 5-PW

Wedges: :cleveland:588 RTX CB 50º, Paradise Black Chrome II Sand Wedge 56º

Chip and run depending on ratio of flight/ roll.  I would be interested in hearing how everyone guages those distances and club selection.  Anyone following the Rule of 12 in selecting club.

Flight verus Roll

Club Flight Roll

Sand wedge (11-iron) 1 part 1 part

Pitching wedge (10-iron) 1 part 2 parts

9-iron 1 part 3 parts

8-iron 1 part 4 parts

7-iron 1 part 5 parts

6-iron 1 part 6 parts

5-iron 1 part 7 parts

4-iron 1 part 8 parts

3-iron 1 part 9 parts

I go by feel when it comes to carry and roll. I find a spot I want to land the ball and hit it.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Uncle Peter

It usually depends on the conditions for me, but most of the time I'll chip and check. The reason being that I'm very good a getting under the ball with wedges and good at putting the ball where I want it.

Plus, the Chip and Run technique would not work best if there's any slope on the green.

So, just in the interest of discussion, what do you do on a putt where there's slope in the green?  Personally, I read the slope and play the putt for it, and it's no different with a chip.  Chip and run has been working for a couple of centuries for sloped greens, and the slightly faster green speeds we have today doesn't make that shot somehow invalid.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Originally Posted by Zeph

I go by feel when it comes to carry and roll. I find a spot I want to land the ball and hit it.

Yup, me too.  I look at the spot, make a couple of practice strokes, then address the ball.  For no reason I can think of except experience, I'm pretty good at hitting within inches of the spot.  No formula or mechanical process, just feeling what my eye tells me.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Just to add a little, I think what type of shot I play depends a lot on what kind of course I play on. When I played the links style "New Course" in Orlando I did adapt and hit many running shots over the various fairway and green contours with great success. At my home course the play calls for a shot that needs to carry farther and then run out or check. BTW, chip/pitch/bump and run is a valid play and if you play links courses with wind you had better learn those shots.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Rad Tour 16* | Tour Edge 19* | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Odyssey 2 Ball Blade | Vice Pro Plus  

I almost always use a 58* and chip and run the ball to the hole. feet closer together and at an angle. wrist are forward towards the front of my stance and I don't break my wrist throughout my swing. works like a charm

golf is a lot like life. the more you enjoy it, the better off you are. a3_biggrin.gif

A guy should be able to play both depending on condiitions and lie, etc.  Personally, I use my 60* 80% of the time for a quick check shot or a soft flop and a little roll out.  I just seem to be more comfortable with that shot and almost always get it up and down.  The other 20% I may use a 54* or PW to get a lower trajectory and more roll out.  It all depends on the conditions though.

What's in my bag:
Driver: taylormade.gifBurner 09 Stiff 9.5*
Fairway Woods: adams.gifRPM Low Profile 3 & 5
Irons: mizuno.gifMP 57 - 3-PW Project X 5.5
Wedges: wilson.gifREG. 588 54* &cleveland.gif 60*Putter: ping.gifAnserBall: titleist.gifProV1x Home Course: Forest Ridge Golf Club

• 1 month later...

I was wondering what chipping tips could any golfers give me. I was golfing this weekend and i really didn't chip well. I was leaving it short so i pulled out a 8 iron to run it up there and  i was blasting it by. I stand close to the ball with a open stance is that the way to go. Should i use a 8,9 iron or just play a sand wedge back in my stance. The greens that i play on are really fast to.

I try to use Raymond Floyd's idea of putting with loft.  I use either an 8-iron or pitching wedge and go through my whole pre-shot putting routine.

And sometime it even works!

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

When I chip I look for breaks in the green then I forget about the hole and try to pick a spot where I want to land the ball. After that I just try to put a good swing on it. The chip and run is always my first choice as long as it's an option because getting the ball rolling asap is never a bad thing. In terms of what club I use generally a pitching wedge, 52*, or 56* but use whatever you feel comfortable with when you're chipping.

Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

Note: This thread is 4754 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!