IGNORED

I'm FAT....

DannyB215
Note: This thread is 4649 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by saevel25

I recently read that is not the amount of protein you eat per day, well you do need a certain amount, but its also the timing.  But the rule of thumb is have protein with each meal.

But don't go overboard, your body only can use a certain amount of protein the rest is turned into fat. This whole notion of eating a ton of protein is false.

There is alot of opinions on diet and every person is different.  The reality is, your body is a machine, if you have taken in more calories at the end of the day than your body needed it will turn to fat, whether it's protein, carbs or fat.

If you look at the post-op diet for gastric bypass it is made up of predominantly protein, that is because protein is critical to maintain muscle mass.  Your brain stem requires carbs, but otherwise the rest of your organs would function fine without them once your body went into ketosis.  I'm not suggesting anything that severe, but I would suggest that the number of calories from protein and carbs be equal, such as a 40-40-20 to support muscle mass retention.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by DannyB215

Thank you everyone. As I start going to the gym more and more and diet more I will definitely keep you all updated. I think taking the first step is realizing that you need help and taking the right steps to go in the right direction. All of your comments were awesome, and all of you are going to hold me accountable once I set my goals...Deal?

So what's the status???? You said you want people holding you accountable, well, you've had a full week since this post. How many times have you been to the gym since?

Originally Posted by Ferg

To give you some background

I'm 26 now. I was 24 or maybe 23 when I started trying to lose weight

I weighed around 350lb when I first started and the weight would fall off. Some weeks were around 10 lbs just from walking and watching what I ate.

I now weigh around 235lb. I have fallen off the wagon a few times, gained some weight back and then lost it again plus some..

Now I am not saying that this is the way you should do it or that it is technically healthy to do it like this, but this is what I have done and it has worked for me.

Some will say that splurging on the weekends is not a healthy way to do it, but being over weight isn't healthy now is it?

Good luck with your goals.

Big congrats, that's awesome!

Originally Posted by newtogolf

You want to combine a healthy diet with exercise to achieve optimal results.  In 2008, I weighed 400 lbs and couldn't walk a 1/4 mile without having to stop.  I now weigh 205 lbs, and running marathons and biathalons (run and bike).

You want to lift weight or do some form of muscle building exercises to maintain your muscle mass because if you severely restrict your calories, and don't exercise your body will go after muscle as it's a more efficient chemical process to convert muscle to glycogen than it is fat.  That's not to say you won't lose fat too, but often people that severely restrict calories and don't exercise end up reaching their goal weight with a higher body fat percentage (skinny fat) than those that exercise.

You also want to eat a sufficient amount of protein to maintain or increase your muscle mass.  Muscle burns calories, so as you drop weight and maintain or increase muscle, your body will maintain a higher metabolic rate (which will help you lose more fat).  If you lose muscle along the way, your BMR will decrease significantly making it more difficult to lose the last 25% of the weight you want to without significatly increasing your activity or cutting your caloric intake.

And congrats to you as well sir! 195 lbs lost is amazing.

You guys are both walking examples that anyone can drop really any amount of weight if they dedicate themselves to it, and I think you should be commended for that. Keep up the good work, and keep maintaining. You both obviously made a change that has and will pay off in a countless number of ways, not just in physical appearance.

Follow me on Twitter - TST_Justin
 -  -  - 

This Week's Bag Drop - Miura Passing Point 9003 Forged Irons and Adams Idea Pro a12 Irons and Hybrids  - Sweet new forged cavity backs from Miura (do they make any irons that arent simply beautiful?) and irons/hybrids from Adams created with...

To me that is to much protein to do a 40/40 split with carbs. My lifestyle is a 55-60 carbs, 20-25 protein, 25-30 fat. I have had this, and i have not lost muscle mass at all, i actually gained a bit of muscle mass. The reason is because, i eat majority of my protein right after working out, when the body needs it, then i fuel it the rest of the day with high quality proteins.

I tried low carb once, i couldn't stand the metabolism drain. I felt like crap.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Like I said, everyone is different.  I run average 10 miles a day and I'm fine on 40/40/20 split.  It took a while to get used to, but now I get sleepy when I take in too many carbs.  Definitely helps to time your protein, I take whey protein thorought the day, after workouts and casein at night before bed.  Stick with whatever works for you.

The measure for success should not just be the scale, it should be your waist size and percentage of body fat.  If you are male, achieve your goal weight and over 25% body fat you're still considered obese.

Description Women Men
Essential fat 10-13% 2-5%
Athletes 14-20% 6-13%
Fitness 21-24% 14-17%
Average 25-31% 18-24%
Obese 32%+ 25%+

Joe Paradiso

I know its not totally accurate, but i got one of those scales that measures body fat by electronic pusle into the muscles of the body, through the feet. I need to conduct a test this weekend, were i will drink a cup a water an hour, and plot how the scale weights my body fat. Right now i am focusing on weight.

The main thing i will advocate, learn how to cook, the best way to control what you eat. I hardly eat out more, i cook fresh meals 3 times a day. don't snack much. I know some people like 5 meals, but i eat filling foods, so i don't get hunger pains. I don't do starving style diets. I always try to eat at least my daily functions if i were to be stagnent. That is, if i was sitting around all day. For me thats 2000-2200 calories. So i eat that much at least. But i burn near 3000-3500 a day, depending on exercises. I did 1500 calories when i was 60lbs over weight, and it was hell, never again.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

Originally Posted by saevel25

I know its not totally accurate, but i got one of those scales that measures body fat by electronic pusle into the muscles of the body, through the feet. I need to conduct a test this weekend, were i will drink a cup a water an hour, and plot how the scale weights my body fat. Right now i am focusing on weight.

The scales aren't bad to have a rough estimate but as you stated, they are thrown off by how much water your body is retaining.   I use mine to give me information that is relative to previous measurements, but not as actual reference points.  If you wanted something a little more accurate that you can do at home, try the body fat calipers.  Once you learn how to use them properly, they will provide pretty accurate results.  For ultimate accuracy, you'd want to do a body immersion test, but there's not alot of places that offer that, and unless your doctor gives you a prescription, they are fairly expensive.

In terms of calorie deficits, one lb = 3500 calories.  A persons BMR (Basil Metabolic Rate) is roughly (10 * body weight)  you can use that plus calories burned during exercise to figure out how many calories a day your body is burning.  You can use those numbers to set your desired weight loss per week, i.e. want to lose 1lb per per week take in 500 calories less than BMR+calories burned during exercise per day, 2lbs would be 1000 calories less per day.  I wouldn't suggest anyone going below 1000 calories without consulting a doctor.

Sounds like what you're doing is working for you which is awesome.

Joe Paradiso

Key thing is balancing how much calories you burn with how much calories you eat !

The weight watcher stuff is very good, for me at least! It gives you an idea on how much energy you take in. Makes you eat healthier ! But for God's sake, DO NOT DIET ! Don't skip on meals, don't stop eating. You will go into a yoyo effect that way ! Just eat enough meals, and eat healthy meals. And healthy doesn't have to mean it is not tasty. So get to know the healthy foods you really like and work from there.

On the burning side of the calories. Don't start doing things you can't keep doing or you don't like to do. No stringent running or workout regimes that you hate. If you are not able to maintain these regimes, again you will yoyo. So find some physical activity you enjoy doing so it isn't a chore. Maybe you could go to the driving range every day for 30-60 minutes. And play one more round of 18 holes a week than before. You'll burn more calories and your golf will get better ;-) Added bonus, when you are training or playing golf, or busy with other stuff, you are not thinking of eating unhealthy food and snacks !

Oh yes, and I do keep a diary of what / how much I eat. Weigh yourself every week, on the same day, at the same time, put that in the diary too. This keeps you honest. BUT, don't get toooooo hang up on the bare numbers, or you'll bounce from euphoria to desperation every week. See it as a long term sustainable process.

Good luck !

Edit: do the healthy eating thing together with you significant other and kids, much easier that way !

Danny you need to find out your body fat percentage not just your weight before you start making goals. Then your goal needs to be lowering your body fat percentage and not really focus on lowering your weight. Also you need to keep track of your diet, buy a notebook and log every thing you eat into it and know how many servings you had of each. You need to keep count of your calories a day, grams of fat a day, grams of carbs a day, grams of protien a day, and if you want (you should) grams of sugar a day. Cooking you own meals is the best way to do this and you will know almost exactly what you are putting into your body. Then the hard part (deal breaker for most) only only only only drink water, nothing else no coke somebody suggested diet but again thats a no no, carbonated beverages make your body store fat even your diet cokes. I also saw someone suggest crystal light which is again a no no makes you store fight all simple sugars do they raise your body's insulin levels and insulin keeps fat stored in the cells. Now you get some good news, every two to three weeks give yourself a cheat day(dont go hog wild) on your diet, where you can have a coke eat some slighty unhealthy stuff and have more calories. Ever been on a diet where it gets harder and harder to lose weight, thats because your body is starting to not release as much nutrients and a cheat day prevents this from happening and makes the diet easier by giving you a day to look forward to every couple of weeks. Also on flour eat only all natural pasta, rice, and wheat bread cuz processed flour is basically junk food that makes you fat and has nutrition your body doesnt take to well.

Finally Danny you have to have cardio workouts as well as weight workouts to make everything come along and to increase your metabolic rate and help it stay up. If you are very overweight or in extremely bad shape start light with your cardio such as brisk walking or an easy treadmill pace for 30 min. Then you can gradually increase but bottom line it should be challenging but not overly stressful in the beginning. Then for weights you need to remember BE SAFE AND START LIGHT do not put too much strain on your muscles this will hurt you and your goals. Second joint pain is always bad pain and if you experience it try changing your grip or find another exercise you dont need to mess your elbows or knees or something else up. Also when working out make sure one day is devoted to your legs they are big muscle groups and tear through fat and calories.

Finally you are the only person who can make you achieve your goals, no one else can do it for you its gonna be tough but with a positive mindset it becomes soooooooooo much easier so think positive and be positive. Think of your diet as like a round of golf you are responsible for governing yourself and not cheating.

Find something you don't mine doing and keep at it: i.e. eliptical, stationary bike, sit back bike, treadmill, stair master, rowing machine

2013 Goal:

Single digit handicap

Eating too much protein than the body needs is a waste. And it will go to "waste".

The best bet is to get a real trainer and really measure you up.

Because there's stages of losing weight. I helped a friend of mine who was 265 Lbs, 5'10

I taught him for 3 months, 3 times a day and even created his diet menu. and the other 2 days he goes himself for cardio

It was harsh for him, but he managed to lose 16 Lbs in 3 week ish.

Well, the next 2 months was a nightmare, he was lazy, unmotivated and wouldn't listen to me anymore so he regained it plus more.

The diet and cardio will make you lose weight, then the protein and weight training will give you energy to supplement your muscles from wear and tear.

Again, it's best if you find a trainer who is a true professional. Not those crappy people from a place like 24-hour fitness.

Another tip is that look for a trainer whose body you like. Because that trainer usually will train you the way he trains himself.

Good luck

Originally Posted by Sai-Jin

Eating too much protein than the body needs is a waste. And it will go to "waste".

The best bet is to get a real trainer and really measure you up.

Eating excess calories of any kind will cause them to go to waste or be stored as fat.  Given most people restrict calories when on a "diet" and increase exercise there is a greater chance or taking in too little protein than too much.

For someone weighing 265 lbs their BMR is about 2500 calories without exercise.  On a 2000 calorie diet with a 40-40-20 (protein-carbs-fats) split equates to about 200g of protein, 200g of carbs and 45g of fat.    200g is less than 1g of protein per pound, certainly not enough to be wasted or stored as fat.

I do agree a qualified trainer and doctor that can provide you with accurate body composition numbers is the best place to start.

Joe Paradiso

Danny,

You know how visualization is very important in golf? how visualizing yourself as a good golfer is the first step in actually becoming a good golfer? how visualizing a good shot is key to hitting a good shot? yada yada yada.

Fitness is the same way. You need to visualize yourself as someone that works out instead of playing video games. as someone that drinks water instead of sode. It seems like you want to be that person, so the first step in becoming that person is actually believing you can be that person and visualizing yourself as them. This isn't an instantaneous process. Think of it like your golf game and don't give up on it when it doesn't work first time out.

Good luck!

I'm pretty new here, but I thought I'd share in this thread anyway. I started playing golf last year after about a 7 year layoff. I discovered that I was sore and tired and had lost yards on all clubs when I came back, but I was also pretty overweight. In the past I've tried low carb, weight watchers, and I've lost weight with most of them, but it always comes back. So this time I decided to avoid a "diet" in the strictest sense and instead changed what I did every day. At the very worst, I wanted to make a better decision at every single meal (Do you really need 2 sandwiches? Wouldn't a grilled chicken sandwich be better than that hamburger?). Optimally, I wanted to change how I was eating entirely and focus on putting a much more balanced diet into my body. I also cut out all alcohol, though I've had a few afternoons or evenings where I have partaken since then.

I started in December at 272 pounds and stand today (mar 30) at 228. I've stuck right around 228 for about 2 weeks now, but I also haven't killed myself to make sure every meal is the best weight loss meal ever. I'm ready to drop these last 28 pounds, though, so I'm starting in yoga and I'm going to start walking the golf course with a push cart (at first) when I'm alone. I don't want everyone else to have to wait on me to wheeze my way up the hills.

I feel a lot better now. I'm not as tired and best of all I can feel my swing changing. I can get back further in my back swing and can finish around more on the follow through. I'm starting yoga to add even more flexibility and strength and I'm going to start riding a stationary bike while I play Tiger Woods 2012 (I'm a big gamer) so I'm not just crashed out on the couch, but still moving around a bit even while I'm relaxing. I'm also changing out my office chair at home for a balance ball. I'm not sure if it will make any difference, but here's hoping.

My biggest suggestion (and this is just from my experience, no expertise at all) is to try to avoid making sweeping life changes all at once. If you eat terrible stuff and never get off the couch, don't switch to chicken breasts and steamed broccoli and go to the gym 5 days a week all of a sudden. I've done it and it's impossible to stick to all of that. Take a step towards making yourself better, then add another. Instead of a vast shock to your system you'll instead ingrain a change then you can make another. Also, don't beat yourself up if you aren't perfect all the time. I freakin' love fried chicken. I just know that I can't eat it all day every day. But a breast and wing with a big plate of vegetables isn't going to kill you, and I've read that very occasional binges can be a good thing in giving your metabolism a wake up call, though I'm not sure if that's really true.

Like I said, that's just my experience. I'm a graphic designer, so I only know what I've picked up here and there about health and fitness. I do know that weighing in once a week at the same time is fun when you're getting consistent good results.

My theory, Don't buy it and you wont eat it.

My major issue pop (soda for those not in Ohio), I just don't buy it. I don't buy chips, snacks, and other indulgences. I buy my groceries weekly of what i will eat that week and have everything planned out. It took a bit of research, but after you get into it, its easy to repeat.

I don't go to fast food anymore, subway only, and penara on occassion. Really the biggest key is knowledge, knowing whats good or bad.

A Tip of the day,

Its been found that having a bowl of soup during the day will cause people to eat less calories because its filling.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

I agree with junki's point on eating. You can run 5 miles and burn about 500 calories. Or you can cut back on 500 calories a day. Phsycially, it's alot easier to cut back, but mentally hard. It's physically hard to run 5 miles and you can't do it every day. The gym is boring. If you cna keep at it, good for you. Change your lifestyle. Walk 30 min in the morning while listening to audiobooks or just take in the morning air. Take the stairs instead of the elevator. Park as far as you can from the store. Try social weight loss. There are online websites, scales that post your weight to the internet. I'm not a big fan of these carbo, protein, mineral, rock scissors paper diets. Eat real food. Reduce your portions. Realize that the food corporations try and get you hooked on food with satl, sugar and fat. Don't drink soda. Allow yourself a treat once in a while. For me, it's ice cream or pastries. I eat alot of veggies and fruits. I look at the diets of many peopke in big corporations, they eat out of the vending machine and eat so much meat, I rarely see anything green on their plates. My weakness is the TV - I don't watch junk TV, but there is so much high quality programming, you can zone out for hours. The key is to keep active, don't zone out. But even next to my TV are dumbells and I stretch as well.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Well we are bread to eat fats, because its the highest density food out there. Its a great source of energy for those who have to live through harsh winters or do strenuous activity. But thats back before Humans could read and write, its just been the past few hundred years that our lives have become lazier and lazier. Our bodies still crave fat because its evolved that way. So we mentally have to eat healthy, since we haven't developed the genetics to do otherwise. Ever found out that you go to wendy's one day, eat that burger, than you find you went there three more times that week. Your body starts to crave it.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Note: This thread is 4649 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!