IGNORED

A.D.D. and Golf

Tifosinumerouno
Note: This thread is 3251 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I believe I am an adult with ADD. I'm going to speak to my Doctor about it, but that's beside the point. I feel like it really affects my golf game. I went through a swing change recently, and am REALLY striking my irons well (for me). I shot a 42 on the front, which is a new record for me, But, as is usually the case, I played the back nine fairly inconsistently. I really feel like I lose my concentration on the back. I'm not running out of energy or getting hungry, but I just am NOT focused on the game like I am on the front nine.

Does anyone who has been diagnosed with this have these same issues? If so, does medication help? Did you try/read/do something that may have helped? Any input is greatly appreciated.

Your desire to change has to be greater than your desire to stay the same.

I have a grandson with ADD and I suspect he got it from me.  But in my day they didn't make such diagnoses they just boxed your ears and said "pay attention".  Well staying focused for long periods of time has always been a problem for me but I had to over come it to get through school and for my work.  But the way I try to stay focused in golf is make sure I always follow the pre-shot routine.  Seems to help.  Sort of a preflight check before every flight if you will.  I also try to not think about the game while I walk/ride to my next shot. Seems as if the benefits of this approach are that it limits the time you need to stay focused on the game and also, and I had not expected this but it just happens, you only think about the shot at hand, not the last one or the one after this one.  Good luck as I know if you're like me it is difficult at times as the mind just has "a mind of its' own".

Butch

Originally Posted by Tifosinumerouno

I believe I am an adult with ADD. I'm going to speak to my Doctor about it, but that's beside the point. I feel like it really affects my golf game. I went through a swing change recently, and am REALLY striking my irons well (for me). I shot a 42 on the front, which is a new record for me, But, as is usually the case, I played the back nine fairly inconsistently. I really feel like I lose my concentration on the back. I'm not running out of energy or getting hungry, but I just am NOT focused on the game like I am on the front nine.

Does anyone who has been diagnosed with this have these same issues? If so, does medication help? Did you try/read/do something that may have helped? Any input is greatly appreciated.

this is me but my problem is the front nine typically.

concentration is the absolute biggest problem with my game.

Yep, I was diagnosed with it four years or so ago, but it affected me in much worse ways than on the golf course. It never was a case of laziness or discipline from my parents as I've always worked extremely hard (at work, and everything else) but until then, kinda lacked direction (that's the best way I can describe it). My general practitioner gave me a pretty extensive test, and then asked me if I was sure I had never been treated

Yes, he put me on medication, and I really wish now that I had been treated back in my high school or college years. I've always been extremely intelligent, but my grades were always kinda so-so and it boiled down to me losing concentration when I was studying, writing or doing homework. Same went for work when I moved on to my professional life. That all changed completely after going to my doctor and getting diagnosed. He told me that different people respond differently to the three or four various major medications for it, and so he started me for a month on one (which did nothing for me at all), tried a second one (same thing), and finally got it with the third.

I don't really know how to say it other than my overall quality of life is better since. In a nutshell, go see your doctor. It's not just a blanket diagnosis as some people like to believe. Best of luck to you! If you have any questions, let me know, I'll be happy to answer anything I can for you.

Follow me on Twitter - TST_Justin
 -  -  - 

This Week's Bag Drop - Miura Passing Point 9003 Forged Irons and Adams Idea Pro a12 Irons and Hybrids  - Sweet new forged cavity backs from Miura (do they make any irons that arent simply beautiful?) and irons/hybrids from Adams created with...

I notice that things start to happen too fast if i am struggling...then its hard to slow things down to make adjustments.  also the accidental ettiquite foul from time to time...woops.

i also have some course management problems because i dont think through things very well since everything is going so fast.  i would be a lot better if i had a caddie telling me what to do, helping me think through things... and keeping my mind off finding my ball and figuring out distances, etc.

If it means anything i see ADDish behavior from Phil Mickelson, Freddie Couples, Bubba Watson, maybe Ben Crane....just suspisions of course..but i think there could be a bigger percentage of ADHD pro golfers and pro athletes in general than what there is in the normal population...its fun and its not a real job so its something thats easy to hyperfocus on or obsess about and it allows for some creativity.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by westcyderydin

If it means anything i see ADDish behavior from Phil Mickelson, Freddie Couples, Bubba Watson, maybe Ben Crane....just suspisions of course..but i think there could be a bigger percentage of ADHD pro golfers and pro athletes in general than what there is in the normal population...its fun and its not a real job so its something thats easy to hyperfocus on or obsess about and it allows for some creativity.

Bubba definitely has come out within the past year or two and said he struggles with it. I think it was even covered in a Golf Digest last year.

-  -  - 

This Week's Bag Drop - Miura Passing Point 9003 Forged Irons and Adams Idea Pro a12 Irons and Hybrids  - Sweet new forged cavity backs from Miura (do they make any irons that arent simply beautiful?) and irons/hybrids from Adams created with...

I wouldn't be surprised if I turned out to have ADD.  However, I find that once I recognize that I'm distracted, I can bring myself back to paying attention for a shot.

Gary McCord's "My Shot" article a while back tackled this issue:

[G]olf is the perfect sport for someone with ADD. You only need to concentrate for a few minutes at a time.

http://www.golfdigest.com/magazine/myshot_gd0501

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

i dont have  ADHD myself but my best friend does. and when we play its not really an issue till it comes time for some short game/putting. sometimes he will line up a shot and back off and re line up a few times (more than the norm). i tell him him "Just trust your instincts man, dont second guess your self" it works the majority of the time but some times the ADHD gets the best of him and he ends up making a bad shot.

Keep it where the mowers go!

Originally Posted by andymane

i dont have  ADHD myself but my best friend does. and when we play its not really an issue till it comes time for some short game/putting. sometimes he will line up a shot and back off and re line up a few times (more than the norm). i tell him him "Just trust your instincts man, dont second guess your self" it works the majority of the time but some times the ADHD gets the best of him and he ends up making a bad shot.

Just wanted to throw in that there is a difference between ADD and ADHD, though they are lumped together a good bit. The difference being the "H", for hyperactive. So basically, the kid in class that can't pay attention is ADD, while the kid that can't pay attention and is constantly running around like crazy, throwing paper airplanes and shooting spitballs is ADHD.

-  -  - 

I never really had trouble in school, as I am a relatively Intelligent person, but concentration has always been an issue for me. I graduated towards the top of my class, but I basically cruised through high school. I went to a JuCo and graduated with a 3.5 gpa having never opened a book or studied for a test. As long as I was writing down what the professor was saying in lecture, I committed it to memory. But I have ALWAYS daydreamed. I zone in and out when I find something boring. I never really considered it until I started realizing what was going wrong for me with work: I start projects, but never finish one before I move on to another. I can't keep my desk organized because the simple task of filing is too boring for me to do on a regular basis. I always see the big picture of things, but don't care about the small details. I think that if I do have add, with the right medication I can see massive improvements in my work life, my home life, and maybe, JUUUUST maybe, my golf game, too. ;-)

So would certain ADD/ADHD meds possibly be considered performance enhancing drugs? I know about the use of beta blockers, etc. But what about these more available and legal options? Is this common on tour?

It may not be the ADD. I find that I lose some focus in the back if I dont eat anything. When your body starts running out of fuel you tend to lose focus. I would actually think the opposite would happen. Each hole and shot poses a new challenge your mind must figure out. It seems to me that would keep you more in the game.

My only problem with golf is that I am usually standing too close to the ball............ after I hit it.
In my bag

Ping G30 Driver

Ping G25 3 wood

Titleist AP2 3-PW

Edel wedges

Edel putter

Yes I have been diagnosed with ADD and take medication.  I also have a background of nearly 30 years as a caseworker.  ADD is normally more of an issue during routine or non interesting activities.  Hyper concentration during activities that are interesting is considered common in people with ADD.  I actually play better without my prescription, but I am a pain to people around me.  I seem to get to caught up in the details and over think when using  medication.  But since I am not that good it doesn't seem worth the social cost.  I would be leery of attributing golf performance to ADD.  Concentration is dependent on many factors.  I would look at other parts of your life and make sure you consult with DR. possibly one with a wider background than a GP or Internal medicine.  Depending on severity and the individual there are many different possible responses.  Diet, lifestyle, different medications can all be helpful if diagnosed ADD or ADHD.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

So would certain ADD/ADHD meds possibly be considered performance enhancing drugs? I know about the use of beta blockers, etc. But what about these more available and legal options? Is this common on tour?

In the case of someone without add/ADHD they could be performance enhancing. Most medications are stimulants. When a normal person has them, they have more energy and can become fidgitty. But in the case of most people with add/ADHD, it's calming, and helps with focus.

Originally Posted by Tifosinumerouno

I never really had trouble in school, as I am a relatively Intelligent person, but concentration has always been an issue for me. I graduated towards the top of my class, but I basically cruised through high school. I went to a JuCo and graduated with a 3.5 gpa having never opened a book or studied for a test. As long as I was writing down what the professor was saying in lecture, I committed it to memory. But I have ALWAYS daydreamed. I zone in and out when I find something boring. I never really considered it until I started realizing what was going wrong for me with work: I start projects, but never finish one before I move on to another. I can't keep my desk organized because the simple task of filing is too boring for me to do on a regular basis. I always see the big picture of things, but don't care about the small details. I think that if I do have add, with the right medication I can see massive improvements in my work life, my home life, and maybe, JUUUUST maybe, my golf game, too.

Yeah, you sound a lot like me, through high school, I was able to stay over 3.3 without a problem doing the same stuff you said - never really studying for a test, opening a book, etc. In college, my grades slipped, to the B/C range, easily enough to get by, but nowhere near as well as I could have done. I do remember when talking to my doctor, him saying that there is a difference in a lack of interest and ADD, but it's easy for the two to mix. I dunno man, it's worth it to at least talk to your doctor and see what he says.

Originally Posted by xxsoultonesxx

Yep, I actually remember hearing a story on the PGA Network on XM about a player who was taking the same thing I take (Adderall) and trying to get on tour, but the drug caused him to fail a drug test even though he had actually been prescribed the medication. I think the guy was trying to file for a medical exemption, but I never heard what happened after that. Garrett Hartley, kicker for the New Orleans Saints actually got stuck with a four game suspension because of it, though I'm not sure if he had a prescription or what. I'm not really sure if Concerta, Ritalin, Strattera, and others are treatments are banned to be honest.

I personally have mixed feelings on what's considered PED by various sports' governing bodies, but I guess that doesn't really matter. It just seems like it sheds a bad light on some things that are very helpful to some people because of course, it's the people that end up abusing it ridiculously that end up in the news.

Originally Posted by LeftyTrevor

It may not be the ADD. I find that I lose some focus in the back if I dont eat anything. When your body starts running out of fuel you tend to lose focus. I would actually think the opposite would happen. Each hole and shot poses a new challenge your mind must figure out. It seems to me that would keep you more in the game.

I agree here 110%. Regardless of whether I take my meds or not, if I don't drink any water or Gatorade, or eat anything throughout my round (regardless of hunger), I definitely lose my focus. Normally, I pack a banana and/or a meal replacement bar with me. It can make a huge difference for some. How many times have they shown Tiger on TV, eating his peanut butter sandwiches? Nutrition is extremely important.

-  -  - 

If you have a prescription, medication would not be performance enhancing.  It will help your performance, but it would help you to be like everybody else...not give you and advantage over them.

And all ADD/ADHD is different between each person.  There is really no such thing as ADD anymore, either...but there are 3 sub-types of ADHD: i can't remember the official names, but there is the hyperactive, inattentive, and combined types.  all people with ADHD fall somewhere in this spectrum (kinda).  But there are also many, many other conditions that can mimic ADHD.

It is important to have a good diet, get a lot of exercize, and have a good sleep schedule to be at your best.  And most importantly you need to see a doctor if you suspect that you have it.  it may or may not be adhd but if it is negatively effecting your life and you have had the symptoms since you were a kid, then it is worth getting it checked out.

Note: This thread is 3251 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!