IGNORED

Tiger at Doral - Turning the Corner?

mattttt25
Note: This thread is 4795 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by sean_miller

This is the first time I've ever heard a reverse C referred to as a reverse pivot. Just sayin'.

I actually think I've only read about a reverse C once before on this forum, not a very common term. And it turns out you are right, and I'm partially wrong.  A reverse is is supposedly a position where the hips are centered or a bit forward, and the head back. This will put more weight on the back foot, but not as much as a reverse pivot. Which is when the weight moves forward, then back, in one way or the other.

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

I'll go with that ... I'm not an instructor and defer to your knowledge.

I'm not an instructor either, and I'm certainly not right all the time. So please, don't let that hold you back from correcting me.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quote:

1) apparently you didn't see how fast the greens were. 3) who's harping? i said it's good for golf, i'm not a follower of tiger in case you assumed such. btw, take a deep breath and relax. your bitterness sounds like you got suckered out of a 20-30 year old playing you on a sunday wearing red and black.

Btw, calling scoring conditions easy is a little out of perspective. ever play a scramble? how are those scores? are they lower than par usually? hmm?

Quote:

Why do you enter and take part in threads you don't like? Do you have some goal to get rid of everyone out there that like Tiger, and do you expect to succeed? I don't care for american football or hockey, but I don't go around in every thread I can find on the subject and talk crap about it. Spend your time and energy discussing something you find interesting or like, not what you dislike. Only thing you achieve with this, is creating a bad environment on the forum.

Ho-hum!

TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°
TaylorMade RAC TP MB 3-PW
TaylorMade RAC TP 54°.10 / 58°.10
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

Originally Posted by RichF

Firstly, light-breezy conditions + hot sun = low scores. The bunkers and water hazards are obvious...but this doesn't neccessarily make for a 'great golf course'. Except for 18, there's little drama to it.

Secondly, we're talking about professional golfers playing...not me...so your last line is completely moot.

Thirdly, I'm not a Tiger-Hater...I just despise his 'followers' harping on at every possible opportunity when he shoots a good round cos it prompts yet more 'Tiger's Back' threads.

Like I said a few weeks back, the majority of these types are usually 20-30 years old, have every copy of EA Sports 'Tiger Woods PGA Tour' and probably wear red & black when they play on a Sunday.

What are you talking about why wouldnt a Tiger fan get excited when we see progression. It's not like he just hit a good wedge shot he has shown on sun and these last two days that he finally is buying into what his coach is teaching him. I mean people jump on him for shooting a 70 or over so why cant we get excited when he shoots a low score that is crazy i guess it is a one way road you can criticize him for playing bad but we can't cheer him on. If you can't stand what us Tiger fans think don't write on the thread. c'mon people are still talking about how bad he did his last tourny but we can't talk about him finally making a top 10 plz. and since when does sun make easy conditions. all that does is firm up the green and make everything faster and with these new groove rules the last thing you want is fast greens or greens firming up on you. Give me a name of someone that is going to replace or even bring that type of excitement to the course day in and day out. I mean any fan is going to get excited when the greatest of all time is getting better. What does age have to do with being a fan of Tiger. Cmon you have to be pretty dumb to not respect him as a golfer. There isn't one reason why someone can not like him as golfer.

Originally Posted by RichF

Quote:

Your reply made even less sense - I never even mentioned the way the course at Tavistock Cup is set up.

It's as important to 'serious' golf fans as 'American Idol' is to opera fans - a complete joke.

The Tavistock Cup is all about why people point and laugh at golf: snobbery and elitism long associated with country-club cliches.

If you actually have been watching the tournament and not the highlights you would of heard what the commentators said. But you obviously didn't. What do you think i just make this stuff up they said alot of golfers play that course to tune up for augusta but you wouldnt know that cause you obviously didn't watch it so how can you comment on something that you know.

Originally Posted by Shorty

What sort of "reading" have you been doing? A bit of tournament promotion, I'm guessing. This is a social event. Tune up for The Masters? You are kidding, right?

Good players love fast greens. Especially when they are soft like these ones. It is target golf. Hardly Augusta.

Originally Posted by franky21

What do you think i just make this stuff up they said alot of golfers play that course to tune up for augusta but you wouldnt know that cause you obviously didn't watch it so how can you comment on something that you know.

Full stops. Use them.

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

Ok, what do we think after seeing him play the last two days? I don't think he's ready to win yet.

The positive side is that his iron play is getting really good. He hits a 3 wood 180 yards off the tee, then hits an 6 iron to 10 feet or something like that. His longer irons are not always as accurate, but mid to short irons are very good.

Putting is variable. Not on his best level, still doesn't make enough putts. Not sure if it's a read issue or stroke issue, but he's not making as many as he do on a good day.

His biggest problem is still off the tee with driver and wood. Like I said, he popped another 3 wood today, and he hits more than his share of drives left and right. It is not as bad as it was last year, the scatter pattern has gotten more narrow, but still losing them left and right into all sorts of trouble. And those shots are costly, especially if he must take a drop, chip out, lay up or got a poor lie on his next shot. That is a recipe for bogeys. I don't know what the reason is, though I would venture a guess at clubface issues, since he miss one left and the next one right. There can of course be lots of causes for that again. What he does when hitting those woods fat I have no idea, haven't seen a high speed face on video of it. Those are anomalies though, as long as they don't happen too much it could just be some insecurity issues.

All in all, his game is getting better, but he has to get better before Augusta if he's going to win. I don't think it's about being comfortable or anything like that, he doesn't know why he sprays his driver and he doesn't know what to do about it (I think). It's primarily about repetitions of good swings. At the moment he's hitting half his drives poor, which is like a step in the wrong direction. He and Sean must find the problem, come up with a fix, then work it into his swing.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

He's getting better for sure.

His putting stroke is a lot quicker now....I don't know if that si the cause but it is jerky compared to his old putting stroke.

Nice comeback you cant say anything cause you know its true.

What?

• Administrator

Chill, folks. OK?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I mean any fan is going to get excited when the greatest of all time is getting better.

Greatest of all time?

Hasn't he got 5 majors to win before he can lay claim to that title?

That is a matter of fact, not opinion. And Tiger would agree.  He has said it himself.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Aye, Jimmy. From what i have seen he of the first 6 holes or so he is flushing it. I want to see this pop up though...

EDIT: Then he goes and hooks one on 7. And Brandel stfu, I have had enough of your explanations.

Originally Posted by Shorty

Greatest of all time?

Hasn't he got 5 majors to win before he can lay claim to that title?

That is a matter of fact, not opinion. And Tiger would agree.  He has said it himself.

Driver: Taylormade R11 set to 8*
3 Wood: R9 15* Motore Stiff
Hybrid: 19° 909 H Voodoo
Irons: 4-PW AP2 Project X 5.5
52*, 60* Vokey SM Chrome

Putter: Odyssey XG #7

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

Perhaps because he might simply wish to express his opinion on the matter, even though he probably knows for certain that many on this forum just can't handle it?  That would be their problem, not his.

Why not do just let the guy give his view without questioning his motives?  If I were to question YOUR motives (which I wouldn't do, perish the thought ....), I'm sure you'd be after me like **** off a ******.  You two happen to have different views on the subject - big deal.

As to Tiger showing real signs of progress, that would be a good thing in my book - were I to see any.  In the mean time I'm not going to set myself up like some around here.  I advise others to do the same  - but I know they won't listen so why bother ..... .

Originally Posted by Zeph

Why do you enter and take part in threads you don't like? Do you have some goal to get rid of everyone out there that like Tiger, and do you expect to succeed?

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

Originally Posted by Chas

As to Tiger showing real signs of progress, that would be a good thing in my book - were I to see any.  In the mean time I'm not going to set myself up like some around here.  I advise others to do the same  - but I know they won't listen so why bother ..... .

sorry i wasn't listening...what'd you say? lol

In my Titleist 2014 9.5" Staff bag:

Cobra Bio+ 9* Matrix White Tie X  - Taylormade SLDR 15* ATTAS 80X - Titleist 910H 19* ATTAS 100X - Taylormade '13 TP MC 4-PW PX 6.5 - Vokey TVD M 50* DG TI X100 - Vokey SM4 55 / Vokey SM5 60* DG TI S400 - Piretti Potenza II 365g

Quote:

What sort of "reading" have you been doing? A bit of tournament promotion, I'm guessing. This is a social event. Tune up for The Masters? You are kidding, right?

Good players love fast greens. Especially when they are soft like these ones. It is target golf. Hardly Augusta.

Come on, Shorty, don't spoil the magic... tsch-tsch .

TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°
TaylorMade RAC TP MB 3-PW
TaylorMade RAC TP 54°.10 / 58°.10
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

To get back on topic...

It looks as if he is getting used to the new swing...it's the most consistent has looked anyway....far from being anywhere near his best, but better

I think the next 3 weeks are going to be vital for him.....if he can at least fix his driving issues a little, and work on his putting ( much better than it was ) he may be in contention at Augusta.

People say you don't have to drive that well at Augusta to win....but it helps.....a lot

Clearly Tiger is not getting his groove back, and yet he's so close to getting it back it's almost scary.

Whatever he's doing on those second shots after his bad drives - that's his groove. His natural creative recovery shot is more like his true self. Once he plays like that from shot number one until his final shot on the 72nd hole, he'll be in contention every week. Until then, every thing else is smoke and mirrors.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Clearly Tiger is not getting his groove back, and yet he's so close to getting it back it's almost scary.

Whatever he's doing on those second shots after his bad drives - that's his groove. His natural creative recovery shot is more like his true self. Once he plays like that from shot number one until his final shot on the 72nd hole, he'll be in contention every week. Until then, every thing else is smoke and mirrors.

Well said.

He did hit the second best shot of the tournament at Tavistock IMO.

3 wood 290 yards par 4 to 6 feet

The missed the eagle putt.....

Note: This thread is 4795 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!