IGNORED

Walking, Riding and your Handicap

nleary9201
Note: This thread is 4773 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I love walking, I play better when i walk because i get loosened up faster, clear my head after bad shots, and i am able to view the course and plan my shots better.  I walk 36 holes a day at my club on the weekend,  I found the easiest way to not get fatigued is to be constantly snaking on power bars, granola bars, and/or fruit. I also play in walking gangs and the group is mostly older people, there are even a few women that are in their late 60's with a power push cart that walk a hilly course in 3:30 with no problems.

Irons X-22 Tour irons 3-PW
Driver Superfast TP
Fairway Wood Burner 3W
wedge 50 degree
wedge GS-15 56 DegreeWedge 62 degreePutter ZebraBall TP LDP Red B330 tour

Interesting you said that, I actually did an experiment on myself:

1. Bike 5 miles with bag on shoulder, walk 18 holes

2. Push cart 18 holes

3. Ride 18 holes

What I found is that Biking and walking with my bag is the worst idea. I became so tired and I couldn't even strike my balls properly.

The push cart is pretty good as it shows good results, but still it makes me tired after the 13th hole. So I have to watch out for over swinging.

Lastly riding is the best for me. I scored the best when I rode. This is of course I was eating the same amount of food and drinking fluid.

It feels that I'm more of a power hitter than a stamina monger.

I am definetly more energetic when I am up and moving. when I sit, like in a cart, I get bored and tired from just sitting. walking gets the blood flowing. another reason why I started walking the course was to lose some freshman 40. haha. in a month I lost 20 pounds. of course, I was dieting everyday. ate only around 1000 calories a day and walked while playing golf. I never ran or did other exercises. If I rode in a cart, I don't think I would be close to losing 20 pounds. walking is just to beneficial to pass up anymore on the golf course.

golf is a lot like life. the more you enjoy it, the better off you are. a3_biggrin.gif

Another thought...if ever I'm riding and the course is slow...it is SSSOOOOO much worse to be in a cart. A slow walking round you at least have the time buffer of walking to your shot and it seems like you're waiting less. The longer I wait just sitting there...the worse I'm likely to play.

I honestly shoot lower scores when I walk. Maybe it's b/c I have time to let go of a bad shot after? Maybe it's because I have time to focus and think about what I want to do...I only ride when it's a course that's too hard to walk (Berkshire Valley type) where holes are anywhere from 100 - 400 yards apart and up and down mountains..not hills... like 60 degree slope.

DJ Yoshi
Official DJ: Rutgers Football
Boost Mobile Tour
In My Bag
HiBoreXL 9.5 White Board D63 Stiff Exotics CB2 5 Wood, Exotics CB3 3 Wood MP-60 5.5 Flighted Shafts 54 & Cleveland CG-10 60 Newport 2

I have a season pass so can ride without additional charge, but I still choose to walk sometimes, it is just a better game walking. Unfortunately at my age few , actuallly none, of my playing partners walk, so walking is for when I am solo.  I tend to play a bit better walking, easier to keep my rythym, and for me my back does better.  It seems to be  related to the bouncing, and the fact that it is easier to keep loose walking.  I am sure I will like the riding when it gets hot or I get the opprotunity to squeeze in some holes jumping around late in the evening.  Even so I feel it is a shame that  so many of the newer courses are designed in a way that discourages walking.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

Originally Posted by nleary9201

What about trying to get strokes from your "riding" opponent?  I think they have an advantage by riding that should be compensated for by x number of strokes.  I don't know how many that is but what do you think of the concept?

IMHO, handicapping should already reflect any advantage a rider may have over a walker (if there is one - which I have my doubts).

I walk (w/push cart) when I play practice rounds, mainly to get some exercise and enjoy the scenery and the sweet outdoors.  But I ride in my weekly league.  The reason doesn't involve health, fitness, or perceived advantages.  I like to ride for the camaraderie I get with my riding partner (usually one of my two sons).  Often, when you are walking, you end up walking a lonely path to your ball, unless you're all in the same general landing area.  We'll watch walkers in front of us split off on four different paths to get to their balls - so it's like watching four singles playing.  When we ride, my riding partner and I can talk and stay connected during the ride.  Since golf is often the only time I get to see my sons during the week (both are grown and on their own), I love chatting with them on the ride to the next shot.  Sometimes those discussions can get pretty heavy, since the cart gives us both the chance to be close enough to talk quietly and serves as a buffer from the other players in the group (they're often on the other side of the fairway).  It's definitely cherished time for us.

That said?  I don't think there's a hoot of a difference in playing scores between walking and riding if you are in reasonable decent shape.  The best player in our league walks and carries his bag.  I don't believe for a minute he'd pick up even a stroke if he rode.  I know I don't play any better, or worse, either way.

In my bag: adams.gif Speedline Fast 10 10.5, Speedline 3W, Ping Zing2 5-SW  vokey.gif 60 deg odyssey.gif 2-ball    330-RXS

Originally Posted by ajschn06

I walk about 85% of the time, but I don't see a problem with riding once in a while.  I'm 25, I would feel pathetic if I walked all the time.  I usually only play 9 holes at a time so when I go 18 I usually take a cart(for the sake of time).  I don't have all day and courses around here usually aren't too crowded, so taking a cart allows me to squeeze in a full 18 after work on occasion....

I can usually play a round with a 4some in 3-3.5 hours when walking.  If I'm by myself I can get 18 in in 2 hours if I have to be somewhere.  I really don't think that riding in a cart makes the game go faster.  I play with guys who ride and I walk and we get to the green at the same time and never hold each other up.  And if its busy out it isn't faster because yes you will get to your ball faster but will have to wait twice as long for the group ahead to get off the green.

I think walking shows true potential for becoming a better golfer (stamina, mental focus, etc.), especially if your goal is to play professionally.  It would be nice to always have a caddy so you don't have to carry your bag, but a push cart is a close second.  I would see a person's handicap improving by walking courses you've never played.  But for courses you're already familiar with, walking or riding shouldn't make a difference.

As far as giving strokes to you for walking, I think that would be unfair because it's not like you don't have an option to ride also.

Callaway FT-9 Tour 8.5* IMIX
Taylormade R9 3-wood 18* (neutral Position)
Callaway Fusion 3-PW, AW, SW, LW
Nike Method 002

Titleist DT Carry whenever possible

Last few rounds been playing Srixon Soft Feel 2-piece

Originally Posted by delav

I prefer to walk, and often play better when I do.  Carts are great for hilly or expansive courses, but can often be distracting for quite a few reasons.  Walking provides solitude, and the opportunity to think about your next shot and consider options as your approach your ball.

+1

You beat me to my reply I had prepared......

We have one course around here that refuses to let people walk, as half the course runs through winding hills.  My practice course is very hilly as well, but I play alone mostly so I still get around rather quickly on foot.

I enjoy reading these posts, but the real crux of my original thread was if you should either give or get stokes when you walk.  I think riders have an advantage, especially on long, hilly courses.  Brings to mind the Casey Martin case again.  I personally don't think he should have been able to ride. If golf is a sport, and not a game then there really is no argument.

I enjoy reading these posts, but the real crux of my original thread was if you should either give or get stokes when you walk.  I think riders have an advantage, especially on long, hilly courses.  Brings to mind the Casey Martin case again.  I personally don't think he should have been able to ride. If golf is a sport, and not a game then there really is no argument.

I remember that whole thing years ago. I don't believe strokes should be given to someone who is riding. I played a round with someone who wanted to play a $1 a hole. he was riding and I was walking. He wanted to give me a stroke since I was walking but thought it was dumb to have to give me a stroke a hole just cause he was riding and I was walking. If you can't walk 4 miles in 4 hours, regardless of hills, then you must be way out of shape. unless you have a handicap like casey does.

golf is a lot like life. the more you enjoy it, the better off you are. a3_biggrin.gif

If you think that riders have an advantage, then you always have the option of riding too.  I don't get your point.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I thought it was nonsense when you started the thread and that's what I said. Should I repost that opinion every time you re-ask the question?.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Giving or getting strokes for riding or not riding doesn't make sense. Anybody can walk and anybody can ride. Some people play better walking, and some people play better riding.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have to agree with Jamo.

For me, since I train and go to gym pretty much everyday, Riding is great for me since I tire much less.

But when I am in a completely not tired state when I don't go to gym or do anything, I'd rather walk and still have my stamina and muscle twitch.

For sure though... I will try my hardest not to carry my bag. I usually have a cart when I walk.

I play tremendously better when I walk. I get to focus on my shots, I stay loose from walking and it's just what I've always been used to. When I ride in a cart, I don't seem to focus nearly as much. If people play better when they ride, they should ride. I like a good walk on the golf course.

Driver: R11s 9 with a Fubuki Tour 63 X-Stiff
Fairway Wood: R11s 15.5 with Miyazaki Kusala Black 83 X-Stiff

Hybrid: taylormade.gif 4 with Fubuki 515 X-Stiff
Irons: titleist.gif Forged 660 3-PW with Dynamic Gold X-100

Wedges: callaway.gif CC Jaws 52 and 58 Degree
Putter: ping.gif In Anser 2

I play better when I ride,  I am not near as tired at the end of the round. I also tend to bring food and drinks with me when I ride so I feel better during the whole round.  I usually only ride when I play with my Dad (He has a bad knee) but I definitely prefer it.

Note: This thread is 4773 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!