IGNORED

Progressive Lenses?

Miss Shanksalot
Note: This thread is 3017 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I use progressives all the time, also while playing without any problems. Using different glasses while playing might put my neck in to better position, but changing back and forth between the glasses to write down the score is just too much pain in the butt.

Driver:     TaylorMade Jetspeed, stiff

Fws:        Taylormade RBZ 5 wood

Hybrids:   TaylorMade RBZ Stage 2 rescue 3H

Irons:      Callaway X2 Hot Pro

Wedges:  Cleveland CG16 54*/14

Ping Glide WS 58*

Putter:     TaylorMade Daddy Long Legs

There must be some folks out there who wear bifocals when they play golf. Has anyone tried progressive lenses instead of lined bifocals? How have they worked out? Or haven't they?

Thanks,

Kim

I couldn't stand the tunnel vision you get with progressives, especially for golf.  I tend to turn my head like Jack Nicklaus does to trigger my swing, and thus I'm looking out of the side of my eye.  Progressive lenses only focus in a fairly narrow band down the center, and that ultimately drove me back to bifocals.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Playing with progressive lenses is very difficult at first. Any movement of your head causes the ball to go out of focus on your backswing, which will drive you absolutely nuts. If you stick with them, you will adjust after several miserable rounds. I do use single-focus sunglasses when it is very sunny, and progressives most other times. The progressives are great on the greens, where you can see the line near and far in perfect focus.

I've never had trouble with my progressive lenses.  My brother on the other hand .....

I look thru the center of my glasses and from day one have never had any issues.   I guess I'm fortunate because I hear complaints all of the time from others.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

I tired bi-focal contacts when I was playing soccer and hockey.   They didn't work for me as well as glasses.  I won't try them playing golf.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

...  I play wearing a pair of single vision sunglasses with my distance only prescription.

This is what I wear. This came from a recommendation of a golf pro from the St. Louis area. He said golfers who try to wear bifocals or blended lenses often vary their head position so they can see the ball at address through the distance portion of the lens. This gives them inconsistent head/neck positions during their swing.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I'm one of those people who have four different pairs of glasses. One pair for reading. A pair of single vision transition with front and backside anti-reflective coating for day to day wear. A pair of single vision polarized sunglasses in purple for golf (they highlight white and ground contours). And a pair of Gunnar single vision for computer use. I hate progressives all the way around.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

• 6 months later...

I know this if from the last golf season but i am trying to get fitted for glasses. i wear 3x progressives for everyday use, distance, middle, near.  Always used my single (distance) sunglasses rx  and transitions for early morning and evening for golf.  During my recent exam my eye dr. said i should be using the middle vision to address the ball.  The problem with that is progressives with 2x, middle (address) and vision causes the usual blurred vision during the back swing and sometimes follow through.  wearing a single Rx for middle vision would cause eye strain for in between hitting the ball where your normal distance is needed.  To date there is no progressive that covers enough area for golfing, horizontal head movement.  i think i will have to go back to the single distance Rx for golf.  (i don't worry about reading the card, i need to hit the ball correctly!)  I have just recently read progressives are strongly not recommended for golfers due to address issues from driver to putter, and horizontal movement which i have experienced.  Lined bifocals would drive me crazy as i am afraid the line would be in the way and annoying 

Also i cant wear the nice base 8 curved sports frames (see below) as most opticians cant make my Rx in that radical of a curve.  I had a pair made years ago as there are online opticians that can make the rx in that curve but are super expensive and not covered by my eye insurance.  So it looks like i am back to single vision Rx.

Any suggestions would be welcome!

thanks!

glasseshttp://www.smartbargains.com/detail.asp?d=Nike&iq=1&bo_products_variance_id=299354&rid=googlebasesb&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=googlebase&utm_campaign=Eyewear&utm_content=NIKESUN-EV0804-093-403&CAWELAID=130004410000897983&CAGPSPN=pla&catargetid=130004410000865324&cadevice=c&gclid=CJLMx8Lm-soCFUFehgodLWwCZw

Edited by photopro
notification

I would highly recommend against progressive lenses while golfing. Any slight movement of your head will distort your view across the entire range of the lens. I don't even like wearing mine when I walk around because of this. 

Note: This thread is 3017 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!