IGNORED

Teeing Irons

mitchl17
Note: This thread is 4766 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by clubchamp

I use a tee all the time nothing better than a perfect lie...

true dat. perfect lie. why wouldn't you give yourself a perfect lie every time you are on a tee box. just makes sense. it doesn't have to be teed up half an inch. that's a little much. just make it just above the ground. like I read before, 1/8th an inch.

golf is a lot like life. the more you enjoy it, the better off you are. a3_biggrin.gif

Originally Posted by Aquaguru

Always maybe a mental thing but I always have maybe 1/8 or 1/16 of an inch though.

golf is all about the mental game. if you believe something will work for you in golf, like teeing up an iron, or having change in your left pocket, or anything else like that, go for it. that's why a lot of athletes have a sports psychologist. to help with the mental game.

for instance, I always put my glove in my left pocket. I don't know why I do, it just feels right. kinda feel weird without it in there when I walk a golf course. just the mental side of golf I guess. anything like that can help you keep your cool and stay focused.

golf is a lot like life. the more you enjoy it, the better off you are. a3_biggrin.gif

It's only my opinion, but it makes sense to me when you are hitting down on the ball with an iron I would prefer it to be sitting on the turf.  I would like to see some slow motion photography of what actually happens to the ball when it is on a tee compared to when it is on the turf

Originally Posted by golfyboy4

I dont use a tee on par 3s never have .I know im in a very small minority but i just dont use them for irons.

Same glad to see a + player does this! IDK why but my brain doesnt like the tee for Irons I would rather have it be just like any other Iron shot ill make that day.

Driver:callaway.gifBig Bertha 460cc 10* Hybrids: adams.gif A7 3-4H  Irons: adams.gif A7 5i-PW
Wedges: cleveland.gifCG 12 50*, CG 14 56*, CG12 60* Putt Putt:odyssey.gif White ICE Tour Bronze 1 Putter

Originally Posted by Steel

It's only my opinion, but it makes sense to me when you are hitting down on the ball with an iron I would prefer it to be sitting on the turf.  I would like to see some slow motion photography of what actually happens to the ball when it is on a tee compared to when it is on the turf

just because you tee it up doesn't mean it will be a different golf swing. not like you should tee up an iron like a driver. just enough to have a perfect lie.

I usually just pick up a broken tee laying around in the tee box and just tee it up on that.  As others have said before, just high enough to give you a perfect lie!

ping.gif Hoofer C1 Stand Bag
taylormade.gif R11 10.5 Driver 

taylormade.gif RBZ #3 Fairway Wood
cleveland.gif Launcher DST #5 Fairway Wood
wishon.gif 785HF #3, #4, #5 Hybrids - Graphite shaft
wishon.gif 770cfe #6-SW - Graphite shaftodyssey.gif White Ice Putter  

• 3 weeks later...

even wedges?

How many par-3s are reachable with a wedge? There's a pitch-n-putt that I occasionally play that I never use a tee on -- I think using a tee defeats the entire purpose of practicing at a pitch-n-putt. But if I actually had a par-3 on a normal course that I could reach with a wedge I'd probably tee it up. Probably only 1/8 inch, but why not?

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

There is no difference at all. If hit with two equal swings, the ball will fly exactly the same distance. Being tee'd up you might catch it a bit higher on the face. The ball is never compressed into the ground, it starts to climb up the clubface and take off rigth away. Doesn't matter if it sits on grass or a tee.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by B-Con

Quote:

Originally Posted by haapamaki

even wedges?

How many par-3s are reachable with a wedge?

There's a pitch-n-putt that I occasionally play that I never use a tee on -- I think using a tee defeats the entire purpose of practicing at a pitch-n-putt. But if I actually had a par-3 on a normal course that I could reach with a wedge I'd probably tee it up. Probably only 1/8 inch, but why not?

Depending on pin position there's at least one potential wedge par 3 on just about every course I've ever played. I'm counting pitching wedges in there too.

Anyway, since there's always the risk of hitting off an old divot that appears to be grown in until you make contact, so I always use a broken tee on par 3s.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

My strategy too.  I don't tee par-3s.  I use fluffy grass.

Originally Posted by Sai-Jin

Ya know... what I like to do is find a patch of grass on the tee box that's slightly bushier / higher and use that as a tee intead =D

works like a charm for me.

Depending on pin position there's at least one potential wedge par 3 on just about every course I've ever played. I'm counting pitching wedges in there too.

Good point. I was thinking GW and lower (ie, not a natural extension of the 9i). Since most people don't hit the GW farther than 110, I was thinking of a par 3 with a pin location of 110 or fewer yards. None of my local three courses have such a hole; I'm sure they exist, but I'd think they are rare. 110 yds seems like the minimum par-3 length. But if you include PW (a LHC like you will probably use it at, what, 120 - 125 yards?), that crosses into a much more reasonable short par-3 length.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

If I am playing on a course where the tee boxes are in beautiful shape I might consider hitting it off the deck but the courses I play in my area the tee boxes are usually in bad shape and hard as a rock so as people said, I'm gonna give myself every legal way to improve things that I can.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quote:

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Good point. I was thinking GW and lower (ie, not a natural extension of the 9i). Since most people don't hit the GW farther than 110, I was thinking of a par 3 with a pin location of 110 or fewer yards. None of my local three courses have such a hole; I'm sure they exist, but I'd think they are rare. 110 yds seems like the minimum par-3 length. But if you include PW (a LHC like you will probably use it at, what, 120 - 125 yards?), that crosses into a much more reasonable short par-3 length.

Depends on the iron set, but if a PW is longer than 140 yards I'll get it bent weaker (or replace it).

I was trying to help out a random playing partner who was struggling last year, so I played from his tee boxes. The tee was up and so was the flag. It was 105 yards to the pin. I'd played the same hole the week before from the blues (one up from the tips) with a back pin and the hole was > 190. From the tips it was > 220. It almost felt like cheating when I made a birdie. Almost.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Good point. I was thinking GW and lower (ie, not a natural extension of the 9i). Since most people don't hit the GW farther than 110

I think a lot of folks on this site may. But anyhow...

I put a peg under it every time. If it's good enough for Nicklaus and Palmer, 'tis good enough for me. Even with a tee, you should be taking your standard divot, though. The tee is about giving yourself a perfect lie. The only club I really elevate with the tee is the driver, which I tee high about 90% of the time. I only tee a 3W slightly higher than I'd tee an iron; I'd say I tee it only fractionally higher so as to make it more likely to hit the sweet spot. Everything else, I tee it so that the lie is flawless. I still take a divot. Normal iron swing. If I tee it too high, I hit it high on the face and that's no good.

Current Gear Setup: Driver: TM R9 460, 9.5, Stiff - 3W: TM R9, 15, stiff - Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Black, 18, stiff - Irons: Callaway X Forged 09, 3-PW, PX 5.5 - SW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 54.14 - LW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 60.12 - Putter: PING Redwood Anser, 33in.

Note: This thread is 4766 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!