IGNORED

"You've Got to Stop Playing those Top-Flites..."

Note:Β This thread is 4609 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

so i play with some guys i got paired up with, and on the last hole, were shaking hands, "nice to meet you" and stuff, and then the one guy who was closest to my handicap tells me "youve gotta stop playing with those top-flites, those things are rocks!!!"

i was playing the new Gamer V2 for the first time (BTW, i HATE the name, as well as when people say what club/ball/putter/tee/brush/shirt/hat/etc theyre "gaming") and i have to say its pretty nice.Β  now, being a 10 handicap, i have no business saying that i can tell all that much between balls, but i liked the distance and the spin i got from these new balls.

so i gave the guy one that was new, and i told him to try it out and that i think hell be pleasantly surprised by its performance.

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Why are they "Rocks"?Β  What are rocks?

I always thought the top-flights I've used are way soft, I can really feel them compress.. I think

Drugs are bad. M'kay.
Β 
I change my swing every time I don't shoot par for the course.

Best Round: 89 at Lake Park Golf Course, Lewisville, TXΒ Β  66.5/102

Originally Posted by PaulMVR

Why are they "Rocks"?Β  What are rocks?

I always thought the top-flights I've used are way soft, I can really feel them compress.. I think

If you've ever hit an old one (like from the 70s through the late 90s) you'd know. They were rocks. Spalding did make some tour quality balls, but not the ones you'd find at Sears. Now of course any one who's hit those balls knows that, other than Tour Balatas, the Titleist balls were rocks too. They still make some rocks with a Titleist logo on them, but people just think "Pro V1". Whatever.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Despite having improved recently, Top-Flite still has a pretty bad reputation.Β  The Gamer is a nice ball.Β  Ive played them before and they spin like a tour ball.

Whats in my :sunmountain:Β C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno:Β JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno:Β JPX 850Β 15*, :mizuno:Β JPX-850 19*, :mizuno:Β JPX Fli-Hi #4,Β :mizuno:Β JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno:Β MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland:Β Smart Square BladeΒ and :bridgestone:Β B330-S

I have played both versions of the Gamer and thought they were both fantastic for the money, and a far cry from the rocks of the past.
I am anxious to see how the new D2+ Feel is going to play, I really like the original D2 Feel... however any improvements are welcome by me.
That nasty stigma has stuck around with them too long, I think more people would be pleasantly surprised if they played them.

In The Bag....
Driver: Cobra ZL
Woods: Callaway X Hot
Irons: Gigagolf GX2 Hybrids, Nike Pro Combo
Wedges: Titleist Vokey 60ΒΊ, Gigagolf SGS Black 52ΒΊ, 56ΒΊ
Putter:
Nike IC 20-20 Mallet
Ball: Top Flite Gamer V2, D2 Feel, Titleist NXT Tour and Srixon AD333

I was playing with a scratch a while ago and going into the 5th hole I was one under. Β We both hit and upon coming up to his ball (Titleist) he went 20 yards past it and saw my Top-Flite and said nothing, but I know he was thinking that this clown with the Top-Flite just out drove me again. Β That and 5 birdies that day and I think he may have a new respect for the Gamer V2.

The Gamer V2 is a great ball and has more than enough spin to compete with the likes of balls that are in the next tier (NXT Tour, Bridgestone E series). Β I use it mostly in softer conditions and will put the Pro V1 in play for harder, faster conditions.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*Β  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100Β 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S |Β Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro PlusΒ Β 

If you are a younger golfer, you might be surprised to knowΒ  there was a time when Top Flight was one of the premium brand names in golf.Β  They were very respected for their golf clubs -- top of the line and one of the favoritesΒ of lefthanders for sure.Β  Wilson Staff, MacGregor Tourney, Top Flight, Walter Hagen (even more famous for their woods), Spaulding, and Henry Griffith (and some I have left out for sure) were some of the best irons on the market.Β  Acushnet then Titleist, Spaulding Dot, Wilson Staff, Penfold, and others were famous names in golf balls.Β  Britian used a smaller ball than the USA (I forgot the name of the other famous UK ball -- was it Maxfli?)Β  The small ball wasΒ an easier ball toΒ play on windy days.Β There were many other brands, but I forget them.Β  Maybe some others will toss in some history here.

RC

Β 

The old top flites were rocks - I have dozens of them I got for free from an old timer.Β Β Β Β  the new top Flite XL's are their cheapest ball & it's a totally different ball than the old rock flites - anyone, and I mean anyone could HEAR the difference - all you have to do is putt the two balls - the old ones sound like you're hitting a ceramic ball - the new ones sound like any other golfΒ  ball - although, I'm afraid the rock flite myth lives on...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

I've been playing D2 feels for the last month and with it being so wet the ball plays perfectly. Once it dries out I will switch back to the penta but right now the top flites are working for me.

Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9Β 

Originally Posted by TourSpoon

I was playing with a scratch a while ago and going into the 5th hole I was one under. Β We both hit and upon coming up to his ball (Titleist) he went 20 yards past it and saw my Top-Flite and said nothing, but I know he was thinking that this clown with the Top-Flite just out drove me again. Β That and 5 birdies that day and I think he may have a new respect for the Gamer V2.

The Gamer V2 is a great ball and has more than enough spin to compete with the likes of balls that are in the next tier (NXT Tour, Bridgestone E series). Β I use it mostly in softer conditions and will put the Pro V1 in play for harder, faster conditions.

Yeah, I'm not going to say that a Gamer V2 is equivalent to a Tour ball, because it simply isn't. BUT, it's the best < $20 per dozen ball I've used. It's not quite as long as an FG Tour or a Pro V1 or a ____fill in the blank____, but in Alberta we get maybe a month and a half of the conditions you guys see most of the year. By mid-JulyΒ a few Tour balls might make it into the bag, but after 3 months of making a hook or slice swing just to get a mid price ball to move, it takes a round or two (and a dozen or more lost balls) to be able to dial it down and hit the ball where I want again. It's really not worth it at my level.

• Upvote 1

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Yeah, I'm not going to say that a Gamer V2 is equivalent to a Tour ball, because it simply isn't. BUT, it's the best

So true.....oh....and Winter Storm warning for tomorrow with 25cm of snow forecast...I was hoping it was an April fools...but.....no

:tmade:Β SLDR X-Stiff 12.5Β°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2Β° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

As long as you like 'em, that's all that matters.Β  Price will probably increase if more golfers played them, so mum's the word, and buy in bulk just in case.

Top-Flite xl3000, my golf ball of choice for about 5 years in the late 90's. Want to talk about rocks man, but god you hit one and the went an extra 10-15 yards...

Gamers are a great ball for the price, 3 piece, decent soft cover, good feel off most clubs, excellent distance. Very good ball, i actually think its a better ball than the NXT. But i always get the premium balls on sale for like 25 bucks, when they come out with a new one. So i play last year's model. So for 5 bucks more, i get 15 dollars more performance. Right now the Z-Star x is a very good ball.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
Β fasdfaΒ dfdsafΒ 

What's in My Bag
Driver;Β :pxg:Β 0311 Gen 5,Β  3-Wood:Β 
:titleist:Β 917h3 ,Β  Hybrid:Β  :titleist:Β 915 2-Hybrid,Β  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel:Β (52, 56, 60),Β  Putter: :edel:,Β  Ball: :snell:Β MTB,Β Β Shoe: :true_linkswear:,Β  Rangfinder:Β :leupold:
Bag:Β :ping:

The Top-Flite D2s werent bad either.Β  For a little while I played the D2 Feel.Β  For a cheap ball, they had a nice, soft feel to them and gave decent spin off of the wedges.

Woods: :mizuno:Β JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno:Β JPX 850Β 15*, :mizuno:Β JPX-850 19*, :mizuno:Β JPX Fli-Hi #4,Β :mizuno:Β JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno:Β MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland:Β Smart Square BladeΒ and :bridgestone:Β B330-S

Originally Posted by saevel25

Very good ball, i actually think its a better ball than the NXT. But i always get the premium balls on sale for like 25 bucks, when they come out with a new one. So i play last year's model. So for 5 bucks more, i get 15 dollars more performance. Right now the Z-Star x is a very good ball.

what balls are you getting new for $25?Β  where?

i think youre right about the Gamers being better than the NXTs as well.

Colin P.

I have heard the "rock flight" talk a few times when I have been playing.Β  I tried the Gamer v2 out late last summer and really liked it and was able to pick up 2 dz for $9 each.Β  During the soft conditions of fall/winter the D2 Feel is an excellent ball and plays nice for the conditions.Β  Anyone talking about "rock flights" probably has not played either of these two balls as they are no where near rocks.

In my Bagboy cart bag:
Driver: TM R11s 10.5 R-flex 3W: TM 09 Burner 3H: TM 09 Burner Irons: TM Tour Burner 4-PW r-flex
Wedges: Wilson TW9 GW, Ping Eye 2+ SW, Vokey SM 58.08Β Β Β Β Β  Putter:TM Rossa Spider Ball:Β TMΒ TP/Red LDP, TF Gamer v2Β  Β Range Finder: GX-I

Originally Posted by colin007

what balls are you getting new for $25?Β  where?

i think youre right about the Gamers being better than the NXTs as well.

Sometimes you can get tour balls for $25 where there is a sale going on.

The newest issue of Golf Digest ranks the Gammer 2 as "gold" in $20 and under balls. This is what they say, "This ball's technology defies its price point. If the ball had a little more short-game spin performance, it would nearly be tour quality. As it is, it's still smarter and more versatile through the bag than any ball in it's category."

• Upvote 1

Note:Β This thread is 4609 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!