IGNORED

Complete six hole meltdown

darkhunter139
Note: This thread is 4766 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Played my first round since the fall today...lets just say, it was interesting.

I just started playing last season and usually shoot in the low 100s.  Today I started out decently (for me at least) with three double bogeys, things were going pretty well.  Got to the first par 3 and hit a pretty bad tee shot into the trees and wound up getting a 8 after getting it out of the trees.  I thought okay one bad hole I will just shake it off...boy was I wrong.

The rest of the back 9 went like this

hole 5 (par 4): 12

hole 6 (par 3): 9 after two completely shanked tee shots

hole 7 (par 5): 11

hole 8 (par 4): 8

hole 9 (par 3): 5

Wound up with a 71 on the back 9, I am pretty sure I did not even score that high my first time playing.

I felt like I could not hit anything straight and was extremely frustrated but I did not want to end it like that I would have been pissed off all night.  I went into the club house got something to eat and headed back out.

I played pretty good on the back 9 with 3 bogeys and a par on 18th.  Ended up with a decent 52 on the back nine.  Anyone else ever have a complete meltdown like that?

I usually have a meltdown on the back 9 after doing very well on the front nine.  Especially in high school golf, I would shoot a good front nine and the back nine, I'd do worse by at least a stroke a hole.  But, the funny thing is, is that this only happens when my front nine is very good, like between -2 and 1 over, and then the back nine would be at least +9. I guess I start expecting the shot to be good, and everything starts to go downhill.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Don't worry, Dark Hunter, it will get worse.

I once had a round of 31 on the front, 50 on the back.  It was a nine hole course so it was the same holes twice.

Read in the voice of Darth Vader:

Darkhunter the force is strong within you, but you lack the experience to be a true Jedi Golfer. You must dedicate yourself to the journey we all embark upon, the search for oneness with the Force. To achieve the ultimate goal of scratch will require countless hours of effort. Go find a golf Yoda to guide you to your goal and remember there is no try, only do or do not.

• Upvote 2

It ain't bragging if you can do it.

Taylor Made Burner '09 8.5* UST Pro Force V2, Mizuno F-60 3 wood UST Pro Force V2, Mizuno MP-68 3-PW  S300, Bobby Jones Wedges S and L, Nike Ignite 001, Leupold GX-II

At least you have hope until your last few holes. I cant count the times that I have been +14-16 after the 1st 6 and play the last 12 at +10-12.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Originally Posted by The Road Dog

Darkhunter the force is strong within you, but you lack the experience to be a true Jedi Golfer. You must dedicate yourself to the journey we all embark upon, the search for oneness with the Force. To achieve the ultimate goal of scratch will require countless hours of effort. Go find a golf Yoda to guide you to your goal and remember there is no try, only do or do not.

good post!

Originally Posted by darkhunter139

Played my first round since the fall today...lets just say, it was interesting.

I just started playing last season and usually shoot in the low 100s.  Today I started out decently (for me at least) with three double bogeys, things were going pretty well.  Got to the first par 3 and hit a pretty bad tee shot into the trees and wound up getting a 8 after getting it out of the trees.  I thought okay one bad hole I will just shake it off...boy was I wrong.

The rest of the back 9 went like this

hole 5 (par 4): 12

hole 6 (par 3): 9 after two completely shanked tee shots

hole 7 (par 5): 11

hole 8 (par 4): 8

hole 9 (par 3): 5

Wound up with a 71 on the back 9, I am pretty sure I did not even score that high my first time playing.

I felt like I could not hit anything straight and was extremely frustrated but I did not want to end it like that I would have been pissed off all night.  I went into the club house got something to eat and headed back out.

I played pretty good on the back 9 with 3 bogeys and a par on 18th.  Ended up with a decent 52 on the back nine.  Anyone else ever have a complete meltdown like that?

Happens to everyone. My first round this year I started off with Triple Bogey, Double Bogey, Triple Bogey, Double Bogey. It was pretty horrible seeing as I wasnt spraying the ball all over the place I was just bad. Couldnt put it on the green or leave 2 putt to save my life.

The next 2 holes I caught fire with back to back pars and didnt slow down for the rest of the day. Shooting a 47 front nine and 41 back nine with a birdie on 10. The Key is to just have fun even if your not playing good, then when you do turn it around you'll be really enjoying yourself

Driver:callaway.gifBig Bertha 460cc 10* Hybrids: adams.gif A7 3-4H  Irons: adams.gif A7 5i-PW
Wedges: cleveland.gifCG 12 50*, CG 14 56*, CG12 60* Putt Putt:odyssey.gif White ICE Tour Bronze 1 Putter

Originally Posted by The Road Dog

Hahaha Nice! I will try and find a golf Yoda to guide me, there are plenty of them around.

We all have "blow ups" I had really good rounds last week, I shot 78, 80 & 81, kept the same ball for all three rounds, I think the last round could have been a couple of strokes better with a fresher ball but I was determined to get 54 holes out of it for the heck of it lol.

I went out today with a couple of friends from the UK and I had a 53 on the front nine, a huge storm came in just as we were on the turn and we got rained off on the 10th, I think it was the golf gods saying enough is enough lol.

I put it down to the fact that we knew the storm was out there looming and we were concious of it and maybe rushing the round.

Driver: Taylormade R9
3 Wood: Cobra S 9-1
5 Wood: Cobra S 9-1
7 Wood: Cobra S 9-1

Irons: Taylormade r7 Custom Fit (SW-4)

Putter: Taylormade Rossa Monza Spyder

Balls: Titleist Pro V1x

OP, did you make notes of your bad shots that causes you to lose your strokes?

I think that will help you with identifying your weaknesses.

Also perhaps you were also tired and started to try to swing harder? <--- My problem.

Originally Posted by Sai-Jin

OP, did you make notes of your bad shots that causes you to lose your strokes?

I think that will help you with identifying your weaknesses.

Also perhaps you were also tired and started to try to swing harder? <--- My problem.

I was really hungry and I get really cranky and tired when I am hungry.  I think I just completely lost my concentration and let my temper get to me.  My low point was 5 putting on the 7th hole because I was not taking my time at all.

The biggest weakness in my game right now when I am playing normally is hitting the green from any further then like 100 yards, I just cant seem to hit my irons very good.  I actually use my driver a fair amount and do pretty good with it, same with my hybrids.   I need to figure out what I am doing wrong with them, I plan on videoing my swing next trip to the driving range.

Originally Posted by pound puppy

Don't worry, Dark Hunter, it will get worse.

haha. best quote right here.

golf is a lot like life. the more you enjoy it, the better off you are. a3_biggrin.gif

My worst blowups happen when I forget the first rule of being in trouble after my first shot:  Don't be in trouble after your second shot.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Originally Posted by darkhunter139

I don't know how it gets much worse then a 71 on 9 holes haha.

When I was very new to golf (my first year), I went to a course that had a slope rating of 141 with 3 of my buds who were also very new.  We had no business being there playing from those tees (blue).  But, we regularly checked to make sure nobody was waiting behind us--there wasn't anyone, so we continued.  Well, I shot a 69 front which appears to be slightly better than what you shot.  However, I started with 36 new golf balls.  I went home with zero.  Later that night, my buds all copped to running out of balls during the round and taking balls out of my bag at various times.  That, my friend, just made my 69 worse than your 71.  LOL.

:titleist: :scotty_cameron:
915D3 / 712 AP2 / SC Mont 1.5

hahaha, yes it can and did get worse.

Check out golf channel's World's worst golfer.... I think it was a record of what was it... 240+ strokes on ONE hole at TPC Sawgrass.

I forgot the exact number, but check it out.

shooting 71 is likely is a high score, but for a beginner, it is possible. just keep practicing and it will come to you.

golf is a lot like life. the more you enjoy it, the better off you are. a3_biggrin.gif

Originally Posted by Sai-Jin

hahaha, yes it can and did get worse.

Check out golf channel's World's worst golfer.... I think it was a record of what was it... 240+ strokes on ONE hole at TPC Sawgrass.

I forgot the exact number, but check it out.

Haha wow that is crazy, I am going to have to look that up.  I hope there is a video

Originally Posted by Tomboys

When I was very new to golf (my first year), I went to a course that had a slope rating of 141 with 3 of my buds who were also very new.  We had no business being there playing from those tees (blue).  But, we regularly checked to make sure nobody was waiting behind us--there wasn't anyone, so we continued.  Well, I shot a 69 front which appears to be slightly better than what you shot.  However, I started with 36 new golf balls.  I went home with zero.  Later that night, my buds all copped to running out of balls during the round and taking balls out of my bag at various times.  That, my friend, just made my 69 worse than your 71.  LOL.

Haha I lost like 4 balls (I probably could have found at least two of these but I was too disgusted to even go look) on the front nine during my meltdown but managed to play with the same ball for the entire back 9.

Note: This thread is 4766 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!